Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 27 May 2014
Having always been a huge Bernard Cornwell fan, I tend to judge all othe historical novels by that yardstick and, until now, none have measured up. However, Master of War defintiely does with a well crafted plot, well constructed characters, plenty of intrigue and, of course, some excellent battle scenes. Can't wait for the next one.
on 6 February 2014
For a book I downloaded purely because it was 99p, I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed Master of War. It is an extremely rare find - an author who can make action scenes dance upon the page...

The gore made me heave openly; the action made my heart race; the characters were beautifully and brutally believable; the historical setting sublime (learnt a lot about medieval weaponry and battle tactics) and the plot kept me guessing, most of the time.

My only criticism was the romance, which was slightly cliched and some of the action was overly sensational, but hey, it is entertainment - and Master of War was truly entertaining and enjoyable.

I once read that the key to a successful novel is, 'to make 'em laugh, make 'em cry and make 'em wait'... Master of War ticks all the right boxes including '...make 'em wait'. Hurry up Mr Gilman.... I need to read The Savage Priest.
on 7 May 2014
Great story, I like the time it was set in, it's nice to read something from a different part of the hundred years war.
I liked the characters and their parts in the story.
It is nice to see awesome power of war bows described so clearly.
Well done. Looking for ward too part two
on 22 August 2014
Full of action all the way through, separated by intrigue, romance and beautiful explanations of the lives of the people at that time. Gripping suspense, couldn't put it down and would recommend to anyone above the age of 14 as some parts are quite graphic.
Well done Gilman a fine book.
on 12 August 2014
The transition in Thomas is very well written and one that would never be believed. Slightly more fictional than Bernard Cornwell novels but the writer has done their research and this is in no way a negative. A tense page turner. Would seek out other novels from this author.
on 17 March 2014
Let's get this out of the way. This book follows a well trodden path of lowly archer becoming a war hero - indeed, with a couple of name changes, it could easily have been written by Bernard Cornwell. It's far-fetched, of course, like all other fictional novels, and the blurb on the inside cover is maybe a tad misleading, considering the battle of Crecy is done and dusted very early on in the book.

That said, this is a superbly written and highly enjoyable novel written by a craftsman and not a gifted amateur like so many others. It is devoid of grating clichés and clumsy italicisations, and Gilman is an author who truly understands characterisation, plot, and the principle of 'show and not tell'.

One of the best books of its kind I have ever read, and I cannot wait for the next instalment.
on 3 July 2014
I purchased Master of War - The Blooding that was very good but to read the sequal I had to purchase Master of War - Part 1 that contained The Blooding. That's right I had to purchase it twice - barmey.

Apart from that I really enjoyed the books.
on 14 October 2014
When I was a History undergraduate, I became fascinated by the sociology and politics of the Hundred Years War. Now, some fifty years later, has come a gripping tale of the period which I find both believable and compelling. Mr Gilman, I salute you!
on 14 June 2014
a great book.
gets a bit confusing during some of the battles, they are a but rushed somehow, and to be fair there's more story than action.
that said though, the story is really good.

you'll enjoy this book, buy it.
on 21 January 2014
Wow! A wonderful fast-paced epic, set during the Hundred Years War. Beautifully written with a wealth of fascinating historical detail and vivid descriptions of the French landscape of the period. But it is the character of Thomas Blackstone himself that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go for one second. He leaps off the page and he kept me reading far into the night. I loved the theme of chivalry versus the brutality of war that runs throughout the book, and the way David Gilman portrays the intense bonds that exist between men who have faced death together on the battlefield. An intelligent and exciting read. Don't miss it!