5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil is BACK! A must-buy read for the summer!
Published 19 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much revenge and not enough Devil!
Published 19 months ago by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much revenge and not enough Devil!, 20 Jun. 2013
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
At the end of the last book The Devil Wears Prada, Andy had screamed obscenities at her boss Miranda Priestly in Paris, and consequently cost herself her job. This book picks up Andy's story 10 years after leaving Runway magazine, and she's certainly made a success of herself. Together with her former Runway colleague Emily, the pair have created and now run their own weddings magazine, The Plunge. Couple that with the fact she's about to marry one of the shareholders and her own Mr Right in Max, it seems everything is going right for Andy. But just as she thinks life is perfect, it seems her past has come back to haunt her. Miranda is back, and Andy is determined that she won't let that woman back into her life again. But she's up against the odds - how will Miranda aka The Devil destroy her life this time, and will Andy come through it a better woman?

I was so excited to see more of the Miranda vs Andy clashes, but if you're expecting a lot of that in this book, I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed. In fact, I was left disappointed with how little of Miranda was in the book as a whole. She doesn't appear in any big scenes, at first it's just glimpses of her, but even by the end, there haven't been any major "Miranda incidents" as there are throughout the first book, so it kind of makes the title a bit of a mystery too. Yes, Miranda is back, but, well, not really. She isn't nice, she's still ruthless but we do get to see a different side to her, and it just seemed very odd to me. I was constantly awaiting something huge to happen, but it never materialises, and while I enjoyed the story as a whole and reading about Andy again, the lack of Miranda and her "revenge" was a huge let down.

Andy is the book has certainly grown up in the book, is ready to get married to Max and is a successful magazine editor in her own right, but I have to say I did want her to grow a bit more of a backbone in the book! She was far too nice for my liking, not willing to put her own point of view above anyone else's, especially Emily's, and it did start to grate on my nerves after a while. I enjoyed reading the development of her marriage to Max and the other developments that happen to her, and the celebrities and scenarios she finds herself in through her job are fun to read about. I also liked the mentions of designers and clothes, which were frequent throughout the book but didn't seem too over-the-top which was good, and of course Andy and Emily had an appearance to uphold!

For me, this book was far more about Andy and her journey at this point in her life than about anything to do with Miranda. Yes, the devil does come back, but not in the way a lot of readers will be hoping for, and I have to confess I was left surprised by the final few chapters and what occurs there. I can't imagine this book turning into a big Hollywood movie as the first one did, simply because people would demand more of Miranda than is included in it. Weisberger is a good writer that can draw you into a story and make you care about her characters, but I have to question the title and lack of Miranda Priestly - let's be honest, she is going to be the reason most people will want to read this, and to find out what her revenge is going to be. I enjoyed it for what it was; an enjoyable read about a woman moving on with her life in New York despite a few wobbles, but for those hoping for The Devil Wears Prada part 2, I'm afraid you might be left disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 12 July 2013
As a long lover of The Devil Wears Prada, when I found out last year that Lauren Weisberger was working on a sequel, I was incredibly happy. Liked the book, loved the film and I couldn't wait to catch up with Andy and delve back into her world.

The book started off with promise but I didn't buy the friendship of Andy and Emily, it just seemed false and fabricated. Even more so, how in hell did they become friends, and subsequently create a wedding magazine together? Also, I didn't understand why Andy went down the fashion and celebrity line of work, didn't she despise her time working at the world's biggest fashion magazine? I pictured her working at The New Yorker, writing books, moving on to bigger and better things that felt more comfortable to her.

Without giving much of the plot away, she catches up with Miranda over a business project and even though I liked reading about Miranda, there wasn't enough of her. For me, the appeal of TDWP was always about Miranda and her devilishness and I feel this book didn't feature enough of her. It was all about Andy, her life, her struggles, moaning about Miranda, her husband and Emily. Andy was incredibly unlikable, gone was her charm, innocence and overall likability of her in the beginning. She was completely shallow and self absorbed.

I really wanted to like the book, but I didn't. I felt the characters didn't have enough depth or interest. The storyline was completely predictable and just didn't match the feel of the book or the film. I would NOT advise anyone to buy this. Unless you really want to, go ahead and read it but bear in mind, you WILL be disappointed and you WILL wish that you had never bothered with it.

If I hadn't of bought the Kindle edition, then I would surely have burned the print edition!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely no story line, disappointing and boring, 6 July 2013
Don't bother with this book. I can summarise the story in literally two sentences. Nothing happens, Miranda hardly appears and Andy has turned into a whiny backbone-less loser.
What a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil is BACK! A must-buy read for the summer!, 20 Jun. 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
We meet up a with Andy a lot further down the line...ten years further in fact, since Andy quit her job and told Miranda Priestly to "F - off!" Since quitting the job that "A million girls would die for", Andy is now about to be married to the handsome Max Harrison. Andy has also teamed up with Emily and together they run their own wedding magazine, The Plunge. But Andy still feels haunted by her ex-boss, aka, the Devil....and soon she comes into contact with Miranda herself...

This will be a must-buy for loyal fans of the first book, and also for new fans who have enjoyed the movie and now want to pick up the books. I was pleased t be back with these characters, after reading and re-reading The Devil Wears Prada, I had started missing them and wondering where they would be at this point in their lives now, so it was wonderful to have a sequel and to find out what became of Andy after her showdown with Miranda. I liked how with this book we could jump straight into the story as we all knew the characters from before, so it felt familiar and it was like meeting up with an old friend again.

I loved Andy in this book, I liked that she was more grown up in this book and I enjoyed reading about where she was now and how she'd progressed! I especially loved Emily, I liked her from the beginning in the first book and I was thrilled not only to see that she was back, but that she was working with Andy too.

Of course, the star of the show is really Miranda Priestly, and she is back! There are a few brilliant scenes where Miranda really comes to life, and this is what the fans have been waiting for. Personally I would have liked a bit more of Miranda in the book. I was especially looking forward to the scenes with The Devil in, and although I thoroughly enjoyed those moments, I do wish there had been more!

The settings are very-well written, as I was reading I really felt as though I was transported to the scenes watching everything unfold right in front of me, I really want to go to Manhattan! And most of all, there is so much to be gained from reading this book! There is fashion, glamour, weddings, luxury lifestyles, friendship and of course the Devil! This creates a fabulous mix and Revenge Wears Prada is not a book to be missed. I'm sure this will be a big summer read for the year, so grab yourself a copy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and Depressing. The Devil Wears Beige., 13 Jan. 2014
No one was expecting great literature. But I was expecting a heroine with a personality, a decent storyline, a bit of escapist fun. You can forget that. This Andy, ten years on, is a pathetic rag of a woman, perpetually unable to explain what's wrong, in a state of constant retreat from conflict or meaningful conversation. You wouldn't want her running a whist drive, let alone a magazine. And while she flutters and falls over at the idea of saying what she means, the other characters seem to have been designed in marker pen on a whiteboard. Handsome husband! Scary boss! Glamorous star! There is so little wit or imagination in this book, I'd rather work for Miranda Priestly for all eternity than read another vapid, cliched word from this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 years for this?!, 27 July 2013
Maybe my expectations were a bit high but this was truly mind-numbing. I was expecting to escape into a book (like I was able to with the first one) but this was tedious and frustrating. It was impossible to empathise with any of the characters. I feel like I wasted hours of my life reading this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Jun. 2013
I really enjoyed the Devil Wears Prada, but this fallow up is very lack lustre. Andy has been turned into a character with no back bone, and is just irritating throughout. It would have been far more enjoyable had she been a stronger character. Emily and Miranda are far better, more interesting, characters. The whole story just lacks something. And as for the magazine being called "The Plunge", all I could think about was a toilet plunger every time I read it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even finish it., 23 July 2013
Miss N. Bennett "Nathalie" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns (Kindle Edition)
Don't waste your time is my recommendation - minimal character development, just self-pitying, selfish characters throughout what I managed. Dire.

3.0 out of 5 stars A vicious evil woman in a suit Prada returns, more manipulative than ever, 5 April 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It's been a long time since the first part of this trendsetter novel by t Lauren Weisberger has delighted many lovers of fashion, fame, power, and romance. In the first part, called the Devil Wears Prada, a young and ambitious Andrea got a dream job working for the most glamorous fashion magazine; however, the chief editor Miranda Priestly turned her dream into an unimaginable nightmare.

It's been ten years since the day when Andrea quit, and the second installment reveals an entirely new life of Andrea. With his best friend she launched a luxury wedding magazine The Plunge and married Max, the successor of prominent family. But, a seemingly perfect and peaceful life is shaken by one unexpected letter and even more unexpected phone call.

On the wedding day, Andrea in the bag of her future husband found a letter of his mother in which her mother in law writes against their wedding, considering Andrea unsuitable wife for her son. Andrea, who found out that she was pregnant, decides to get over it and promise herself that nothing will stand in the way of their family happiness. But ghosts from the past will reappear. At Andrea's dismay, and Emily's and Max's enthusiasm, the great and powerful vicious woman decides to buy The Plunge offering them sky-high figure. But even worse than the appearance of evil Miranda is the betrayal of the closest people that Andrea will soon feel...

The good news are that readers who have not read the first part will be able to unburdened read (and enjoy) this one because the author skillfully introduces flashbacks to past events. Although it is a trendsetter novel that tells in detail about fashion trends and high society, the author cannot be denied the successful psychological profiling of her characters, well-made story design by mixing retrospection and introspection, and an unexpected twist at the end.

So, for the fans of Lauren Weisberger's first part the sequel will be equally entertaining, and although it is a novel that deals with high society, in which the signature on the clothes is more important than the personality itself, the novel at its end points out the true value and therefore, to those younger ones, can be recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, but at least I finished this one..., 23 Feb. 2014
I will start this review by saying that I am not a big fan of chick lit, but I really liked The Devil Wears Prada. There were faults, but it was a good read.

I am one of life's completists, so I read her next two books after The Devil Wears Prada and disliked them both so much that I struggled to finish them. I refused to waste money on the other book.

So it was with great trepidation that I embarked on this book - I wanted to find out what cold have happened to Andy & Co in the interim, but I knew from my other experiences of Weisberger's writing style that I wasn't likely to be thrilled with the result. I was right. The book crammed so many storylines into it that it had to skip forward in some chapters to enable her to shoehorn some sort of completion into the book without making it into a Gone With The Wind length epic! Worse still, the writing is sloppy to say the least. In one section, in describing Miranda's new office, Weisberger uses the word sweep and sweeping several times in one page. It's called a thesaurus, every computer has one!

And the storyline is vaguely interesting, but because of this necessity to "get everything in", the narrative suffers. As with her other novels, it is peppered with references to the New York jet-set that we see in things like Sex And The City, and this in engaging enough to get you through. But I suspect that many, like me, will be very disappointed.

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns