5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book out of the series yet!
Published 21 months ago by Anna Kolacz

3.0 out of 5 stars Last Stand of Dead Men - The Book of the Film?
Published 22 months ago by I'mARider

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book out of the series yet!, 23 Sept. 2013
This is the penultimate book in this thrilling series and it is by best my favorite. We see a little more Darquesse action whilst the war between mages rages. Whilst this book is my favorite I must admit tthat I was sad when we lost a few of our characters and was thoroughly shocked to discover who the man with the golden eyes was (finally). I can't wait for the final book even if it will make me sad that it is the final book. I'd recommend this book to anyone adult, teenager or child, who likes action, adventure, witty comments and magic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Last Stand of Dead Men - The Book of the Film?, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 8) (Skulduggery Pleasant series) (Kindle Edition)
I feel really bad to be the first person to give a 3-star review. I honestly do. I bought the first SP book a few months after it came out back in 2007 to experiment with a new book. I loved it, and ever since I haven't been able to get enough of SP. The reason I loved that first book so much wasn't because of the story (which was brilliant, don't get me wrong there), but it was the characters I adored. The chemistry between Skulduggery and Valkyrie, the witty banter and humour, the emotion displayed in the later books, the complex and suprising storylines, the mindblowingly brilliant characters - this was all utterly brilliant. However I feel LSODM lacks some of those vital elements that us SP fans have grown to love.

With LSODM, while there was some great scenes, let's just say that the scales tip from pretty equal between "banter" and action to being pretty action dominant. The thing that depresses me most about this isn't that the action is bad - it's that all of the action in this book feels like it's been inspired by films; there are constant gun fights, a scene that feels extremely similar to one in a recent Marvel film, and just sequence after sequence that would be too perfect on the big screen.

Another thing that put me off was how long the book takes to reach its climax...and then how long it takes that climax to finish. Things started getting a but exciting by about page 450, and everything died down around page 580. It all felt like too much.

Also, the amount of gun use really shocked me. In practically every fight up building up to the end of the book (in fact, a sniper rifle has an important role in the final battle), there would be some sort of gun use. Whether it be a silenced pistol or a rifle, there would be something. I'm not one of those people who hates guns and thinks they're ghastly things (no pun intended), but this is a series based around magic. The ratio of gun to magic use was pretty much 1:1. It really disappointed me, and it's part of what made the early parts of the book just feel like an action movie.

Some of the characters are just a bit bland. The Monster Hunters particularly - they are predictable, and I'm not sure whether or not Landy deliberately made the interactions between them awkward. To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if he did, but it just didn't work this time round. Some of it is funny and some of it made me laugh, but other parts just felt like a belated attempt at humorous conversation. Skulduggery's attitude to pretty much everything just felt different - he wasn't smart or snarky, he was just dark.

In terms of the storyline, I didn't feel too let down. It was classic Skulduggery Pleasant, with twists and turns and lots of. However there is a vital, important thing that happens near the end of the book. I'm not going to spoil it, but let's just say that it's what happens at the Temple of the Brides (you'll understand what I mean if you've read the book) - what happened here really impressed me and shocked me, but the way it was dealt with afterwards disappointed me a lot. It was almost as if it never happened.

Please, don't be put off buying the book after what I've said - there are probably far more people that adore the action and guns than people who might share my views. This isn't a bad book by any means, I think I just expected too much light-heartedness and originality from a series that is getting darker and darker and nearing its end. If you've loved all of the other SP books, you'll love this. Thank you for reading. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Landy does it again!, 31 Aug. 2013
I just finished reading LSODM and I loved every word. The thing that I have always loved about the skulduggery pleasant series is that there is always a gripping plot accompanied by well placed humor and wit and Last Stand of Dead Men is no exception. The book always kept me guessing and the plot would frequently take twists and turns that I don't expect which always work out brilliantly. The end definitely left me yearning for more but sadly book 9 won't come for another year which I am sure will be a spectacular finale.
All in all a brilliant addition to the skulduggery series that will constantly keep your eyes glued to the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, gripping eighth in this children's fantasy series, 18 Mar. 2015
It’s several weeks after SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT - KINGDOM OF THE WICKED. The international Sanctuaries, convinced that the Irish Sanctuary murdered Grand Mage Strom are moving it. They want a power sharing arrangement, power-sharing in this case meaning that they take more control over the Irish Sanctuary’s affairs. The Irish Elders are standing firm, but with no allies and their own control weakened after recent events, it’s clear that war is coming and there’s no guarantee that they will win.

But Skulduggery and Valkyrie don’t have time to worry about that. They’re investigating why Charivari is leading the Warlocks against sorcerers and the answers they’re finding are very disturbing – so disturbing that they point to treachery in the deepest levels of the Sanctuary and a conspiracy that’s been a century in the making. Even worse than that, Valkyrie can feel the influence of the Darquesse rising in her mind – she wants to come out, she wants to help her, she wants to see the world burn …

The eighth in Derek Landy’s best-selling middle grade fantasy series is another action-packed corker that had me gripped from beginning to end. I really can’t speak highly enough about these books. Landy is a master of plot – there is so much going on here, so many plot strands but Landy weaves them together like an expert so that events you think have dropped to the wayside suddenly become very important. At the same time it’s the relationships that matter in this book. There are a lot of ties here, some of family and friendship and others more complicated (e.g. between Skulduggery and China Sorrows). Particularly good here is the fractured relationship between Valkyrie and Stephanie, her reflection who has become sentient in her own right and increasingly wants to take control of what has become her life but the relationship between the Dead Men – the seven sorcerers (including Skulduggery, Erskine Revel and Ghastly Bespoke) is central to this and Landy uses it to put more meat on the complicated history of his world. There are some significant character deaths in the book, some of which hit me worse than others and there are a lot of shifting allegiances. Landy’s action scenes are as excellent and violent as ever and the pace is completely unrelenting. I honestly had a blast from beginning to end and am planning to dive straight into the final book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book yet, 30 Aug. 2013
If you've read this series since Book 1 this Book will defiantly be one of your favorites. If you have never, ever read a Skulduggery Pleasant then two things. 1) You really should and 2) You will still be hooked on this book. The writing style is so good that even if you have no idea what is going on you can still appreciate it. However fans of the series will defiantly have an extra level of enjoyment from all the story arc payoff. The story is fast and full of action but still makes room to include nice character moments which remind you why you love them so much. The Dialogue is short snappy and hilarious but also deep and engaging when the story needs it. The set-up for Book 9 is also well done but there is one drawback: I can't wait till 2014 for the ninth book. But i suppose that just shows how engaging the books are. This book is almost flawless. There are a few moments which feel forced or unnecessary, the plot sometimes moves forward to quickly or doesn't explain things clearly enough meaning You have to catch up a few pages later. But the Book does so much right this doesn't matter. Defiantly the best Skulduggery Pleasant yet and Book 9 will have to be incredible to beat this ( But it will). I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Sept. 2013
Great book with a twist I was not expecting at all and GIANT!!!!!!!!! Cliff hanger that should make the next book epic

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 18 Sept. 2013
In my opinion the best skulduggery pleasant book yet a gripping story line can't wait for next September. Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars none, 15 Sept. 2013
I found lsodm to be a lot better than kotw, mainly because kotw left a lot of strings dangleing and even went out of iit's way to avoid answering questions. While lsodm tied nearly everything up in a nice neat bow, three things are unaccounted for but hey you can't have everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius !!!!!, 14 Sept. 2013
Great as always , brilliant to read as is every book of the skulduggery series ,only thing I hate is that I have wait another year before the next book ..... never stop writing derek , really recommend this book that is filled with suspense,humour and pure genius !!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG It was SCARY, 12 Sept. 2013
Just like the Harry Potter series got darker and didn't really get brighter at the end of each book, this series is getting bleaker and infinitely more enjoyable, but with a very dangerous mood. Characters die and things get broken that can't be fixed. Loved it. Can't wait for the next one.