5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping account of Atlantic rowing race
This is the autobiographical account of James Cracknell and Ben Fogle's crossing in the Atlantic Rowing Race 2005/06 from the Canary Islands to Antigua. Both of them alternate in telling the story and sometimes recount the same incidents from their own very different perspectives. They seemed to enter the race in a fit of absent mindedness and their preparations were...
Published on 14 Oct 2006 by wenallt1

2.0 out of 5 stars boring
Did not finish it as they both made such a fuss of their inability to get their minds sorted out and get organised. It was such a drag.
Published 3 months ago by Chris

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 5 Dec 2009
D. MELLING - See all my reviews
The Crossing is an excellent read from start to finish. James and Ben are completely different characters but thats what makes them work. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 11 Sep 2009
I had doubts about this book as, admittedley not knowing much about him, I didn't think Ben Fogle was the type of person I wanted to read about. However, the book was recommended so I gave it a go.

And I'm glad I did. A really excellent, gripping book. It's very honest about what the guys went through, their relationship with each other and life on board. The story of the crossing is gripping and I couldn't put it down.

The early part of the book did pose a few questions, such as why they were so under prepared when taking on such a mammoth task but otherwise I was gripped. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars amateur review from part time reader!, 21 Jan 2007
Peter D. Craske "surf's up" (polzeath) - See all my reviews
I only read this book because James sent it to me and a lot of people gave it to me for christmas. I paddled across the English Channel with James on a surf board last year so I wouldn't say I know James well but I have seen the competitive fire in him at first hand! The other thing I should point out is that I very rarely read books!

This is the story of an awesome adventure - inspiring, honest, insanely tough and fraught with difficulties. I simply couldn't put it down. I liked the double narrative and the contrasts of thought between them. The differences in their personalities holding the key to their ultimate success.

The most enlightening part of the book is when Ben tells us he sat on the laptop screen in the first week and that put an end to any e-mails of encouragement or otherwise reaching them onboard. I sent loads of e-mails to them over the 50 days as I tracked their progress - and not one reply!! And only now I find out.

If you did track their progress on-line then this will bring it to life. If you didn't, you'll enjoy the ride. It is a must read book and that's coming from someone who doesn't read that much.

One final thought - the DVD doesn't do the crossing justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 15 Oct 2006
Wow - I read this book in two days and only put it down to sleep! What an amazing accomplishment, what a fantastic read. I was rooting for them at the time of the race but I had no idea what they went through - I won't add spoilers but so much happened and they were so brave and heroic. The book is a joint account with paragraphs by each of them in sequence and it is very neatly done - great to read both sides of the experience. They drew upon every last bit of will power and it is so inspiring. I don't know James or Ben but after reading this I feel as if I do and I'm so proud of them both. Wish I could have been there cheering at the finish line. Go and buy this book right away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story - shame about the writing, 28 Dec 2006
liz (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This is a truly great story of human endurance and is worth reading simply for that. The book is not long and is in large print so I read it in about 6 hours.

However, while nothing can detract from the incredible feat these guys undertook or the enormity of what they achieved, I don't think anyone would say either of them have a talent for writing.

The story does largely tell itself but the book was formatted in a rather clunky way using alternate reflections from the two rowers which often repeated each other. More editorial input might have allowed the book to do justice to the actual adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Crossing: Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating insight into what crossing the Atlantic would be like. Very honest and open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
SuperAlly (Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I rowed every stroke and hit every wave!!, 16 Jun 2014
A great read! James and Ben each write a section - both have a lovely flowing style which makes for a relaxing, enjoyable read. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, 2 Jun 2014
Brilliant book. Very hard to put down. A real insight into what goes on and the relationships on such a long race.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›