5.0 out of 5 stars The Baby Whisperer
I am not a big fan of the tv programme One Born Every Minute as I think it would be enough to put any woman off getting pregnant but,having read and enjoyed a previous novel by the author, Without Alice, I knew that her writing would not be in a sensationalist style

Published 15 months ago by Lovely Treez

3.0 out of 5 stars Special deliveries
A nice book about birth & babies but not as personal as some of the others I have read from midwives
Published 4 months ago by Nicola Falvey

5.0 out of 5 stars The Baby Whisperer, 26 April 2013
Lovely Treez (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)

Special Deliveries is a series of fictionalised anecdotes and general ponderings on pregnancy and childbirth based on D J Kirby's own wealth of experience as a midwife in the UK She has such a calming, therapeutic writing style which makes this ideal reading for expectant mums and dads, those contemplating or currently in midwifery, indeed anyone interested in the whole marvel of birth - we were all born, one way or another!

Here you will find a wide variety of human experience, from all walks of life, from easy to more challenging births, the long and the short... As a society we are more and more interested in technology and medical advances but perhaps we forget the importance of the midwife in reducing the trauma of what can be a very stressful experience and the value of having that one to one contact, when needed.

Less saccharine than Call the Midwife, (which I also enjoyed), this collection of stories gives a calm, non-judgemental view of modern midwifery - it's a very special vocation.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exquisite account of the life of a midwife, 7 April 2013
Mrs. R. L. Dove (wakefield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as I had previously bought the Mini Midwife book that the author wrote it. I 'know' the author through Facebook and Twitter but I was not asked to do a review for this book, I bought it and reviewed it purely on my own just to clarify.

I am a mother of two children myself and have had two joyous easy births, one at 6 days over my DD and one at 12 days over! I have had fertility drugs and been induced, and had two normal deliveries, both of which I was home after 6 hours. So I am lucky, but I know others who have had traumatic births. My own birth was 22 hours of agony, and my mother has never let me forget it since!

This book is an anecdotal account of the author's time as a midwife, which is the culmination of many years experience. Kirkby has a very calming way of writing, and I found myself utterly soothed as her words washed over me, which is unusual in itself for me.

I actually cried over this book, with sadness and tears remembering my own births of my children. Call me weird (it might have been the gas and air) but I utterly loved labour and often lament the fact that we have chosen to stop at 2 children. Pregnancy and labour is a precious experience, and this book does that journey due justice.

Not every birth is easy, and the author speaks of parents having heartbreaking births, decisions to make and unique family networks surrounding them.

The story of the baby twin to be adopted from birth deeply affected me, and I have done nothing to think about it since. It is so hard to know what to do in that situation until you encounter it I suppose, and I don't envy the parents in that dilemma.

What struck me is that the author gives a frank account of all these stories, and does not judge once. Who can honestly say that? I can't and as a parent and early years educator, this is something that we seek to avoid too for an inclusive environment, but we all have our opinions behind closed doors. This book is impartial and does not judge any walk of life, which is amazing, and I can only imagine makes for a very good midwife.

A first time expectant mother has nothing to fear from this book, and I encourage everyone to read it, whether pregnant, a parent, or a man as it is not only a fantastic account of life in all its wonder, but a study of human nature in general.

On a last note, I would have killed the clamper (of her car, not a birth term!) so hats off to her for that too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
Well written brought back many happy memories of my times as a midwife. could relate to all the stories with smiles and tears

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
This is another page turner from D J Kirkby. I've read so many midwives tales from a byegone era, it was a refershing change to read a series of recollections from a modern perspective. Having had a baby two years ago I was really able to relate to many of the stories which were told with real feeling and empathy. It is possible to see how committed to supporting women during their deliveries the author was and I felt I got to know each of the characters sufficiently. There are some sad extracts but these are dealt with really well by the author. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 25 Mar 2013
Marsha Moore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
A lovely read full of real-life glimpses into the delivery room. If you love 'Call the Midwife' or 'One Born Every Minute', you'll enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant easy read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
Great read for anyone interested in midwifery and wanting a glimpse into the profession! Light hearted easy read for mums to b too with great explanations

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
Nice easy read, thoroughly enjoyed. Really lets you see the full role of a midwife and the fantastic job they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 25 May 2014
8862emma (Lockerbie, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
Wholeheartedly enjoyed this book. A frank but also light - hearted account of modern midwifery. Wish I had read this before having children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 9 May 2014
Miss (Mere, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Special Deliveries: Life Changing Moments (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful book well worth reading for anyone interested in birth or midwifery. I loved it and just wish it had been longer!!