on 20 May 2013
This is a really excellent album - not like anything else I have ever bought but that's possibly because there can't be many bands making this sort of record. The combination of old film clips and public information announcements with music which cherry picks styles from the last 30-or-so years is a winning mix. It's as if a time machine has dropped you half in 1948 and half in 1984 (or maybe 1960 & 2006) and it provides a very engaging listen. Many of the spoken-word samples are so good that you'd enjoy listening to them even without the music but in every case the music adds hugely to the effect. On PSB's website they claim to "teach the lessons of the past through the music of the future" and that's a pretty good summary of what this record does - but mainly, whether it informs or educates, it certainly entertains. Buy this record.
on 3 April 2015
Saw PSB on tour supporting Kaiser Chiefs, what a sound, so different from the Norm. Superb !!!
on 10 August 2015
Love it ,my partner hates it she asked me the other day who from the Carry On films was on it
on 10 May 2013
Having been a fan of PSB since hearing the first play of ROYGBIV on Radio 6 last year, I am slightly underwhelmed by this album. I pre-ordered the War Room EP, and this as soon as they became available. The War Room improves with listening, and some of the non-single tracks are superb. I was expecting more of the same with I-E-E, but sadly it hasn't grabbed me in the same way. EP One is also better, in my opinion. Between EP One, and the War Room, you have all the best tracks from I-E-E, plus better ones. Only Everest is missed.

This is widly touted as the breakthrough album for PSB, but having tried to explain the concept to non-fans and raving about the release of this album, I can't see it happening. Plays on the radio have brought PSB to a whole much larger audience, hence favourable reviews, as they still see the novelty in the concept. However, once this has worn off, their isn't as much to listen to as in the War Room. There isn't a theme to it, and I think a theme would link tracks much better, as in The War Room EP. As it is, I-E-E sounds like a "best of" but without their best tracks.

The War Room

I certainly hope this album is a success and leads to more releases from PSB. Hopefully themed albums, as The War Room EP.

Some reviews have tipped this for being one of the albums of the year. Personally, I would wait for Field of Reeds by These New Puritans before making a judegement. I listened to Fragment Two immediately after my first play of I-E-E, and that completely blew me away.
on 7 December 2015
This isn't quite as good as the more recent The Race for Space, but it's still very good.
on 14 September 2014
Saw them at Guilfest as recommended by my sone. Bought the album as soon as I got home.
on 14 May 2013
PSB are an unusual band, to say the least. Bang up to date music which incorporates samples from (or emulates - not quite sure) the 1940s / 50s public information films. It's a unique blend of virtual instruments, samples, real drums, guitar and banjo - it really shouldn't work, but it does!

A friend introduced me to the band last year and after listening to Everest and Spitfire was intrigued, so went to see them play at a very small venue in Cardiff. I am so glad I did. For only two chaps, they produced a very full sound which was quite superb. I had a brief chat with the most affable J Willgoose esq after the show - spiffing fellow.

Very much looking forward to seeing them again on tour.
on 26 November 2015
Fantastically talented band. Catch any live performance on YouTube to see I Do not lie.
on 17 September 2015
Brilliant PSB Album, seen them live a few times too and they are absolutely fantastic!
on 18 May 2013
This is an absolutely ingenious album, mixing a wonderful array of samples with some quite beautiful music.

I would probably best describe this as a more organic version of Lemon Jelly's first two albums. J willgoose Esq. (Guitars, Banjo, Keyboards, etc, etc) and Wrigglesworth (Drums!) create a phenomenal wall of sound as a back drop to some hugely entertaining samples. The samples themselves taken from a variety of different eras are superb, WW2 clips on Spitfire and Lit Up (from the War Room EP)are joined by others from public information films about the night mail train, TV and Everest to name a few.

I'm sure fans of Pink Floyd (Roger Waters era,) will listen with a smile.