5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?
Saw PSB supporting the Manic Street Preachers at The Ritz, Manchester last week. Excellent musicianship and interesting sound, they also went down pretty well with a hardcore Manics crowd. I like this sort of stuff though, it reminds me of Stereolab crossed with Fluke. My wife hated it.
Published 14 months ago by GR Burns

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as EP One nor The War Room EP
Having been a fan of PSB since hearing the first play of ROYGBIV on Radio 6 last year, I am slightly underwhelmed by this album. I pre-ordered the War Room EP, and this as soon as they became available. The War Room improves with listening, and some of the non-single tracks are superb. I was expecting more of the same with I-E-E, but sadly it hasn't grabbed me in the same...
Published 19 months ago by Leidey

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspires the Sense of Adventure, 21 May 2013
I. READ (Cromer Pavillian, Cromer, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
If I had read a description of what PSB do, I would have dismissed them as pretentious soundtrack composers. And I would have been wrong. They say that every now and then you hear a song that will move you so much, that you will never forget that experience of hearing it for the first time. I was driving home really late from a gig in Cambridgeshire when I resorted to radio! The snow was lashing down, and then Everest came on the radio. It transported me from driving across the fens, to being a mountaineer with a massive jumper, climbing to the peak of Everest. I am particularly keen on RYGBIV and Lit Up. Off to see them play live on Saturday, and rather excited!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informed, educated and entertained, 20 May 2013
Paul Stupple - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inform - Educate - Entertain (MP3 Download)
This is a really excellent album - not like anything else I have ever bought but that's possibly because there can't be many bands making this sort of record. The combination of old film clips and public information announcements with music which cherry picks styles from the last 30-or-so years is a winning mix. It's as if a time machine has dropped you half in 1948 and half in 1984 (or maybe 1960 & 2006) and it provides a very engaging listen. Many of the spoken-word samples are so good that you'd enjoy listening to them even without the music but in every case the music adds hugely to the effect. On PSB's website they claim to "teach the lessons of the past through the music of the future" and that's a pretty good summary of what this record does - but mainly, whether it informs or educates, it certainly entertains. Buy this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars LemonJelly the 2nd?, 18 May 2013
This is an absolutely ingenious album, mixing a wonderful array of samples with some quite beautiful music.

I would probably best describe this as a more organic version of Lemon Jelly's first two albums. J willgoose Esq. (Guitars, Banjo, Keyboards, etc, etc) and Wrigglesworth (Drums!) create a phenomenal wall of sound as a back drop to some hugely entertaining samples. The samples themselves taken from a variety of different eras are superb, WW2 clips on Spitfire and Lit Up (from the War Room EP)are joined by others from public information films about the night mail train, TV and Everest to name a few.

I'm sure fans of Pink Floyd (Roger Waters era,) will listen with a smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of the year so far, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Inform - Educate - Entertain (MP3 Download)
PSB are an unusual band, to say the least. Bang up to date music which incorporates samples from (or emulates - not quite sure) the 1940s / 50s public information films. It's a unique blend of virtual instruments, samples, real drums, guitar and banjo - it really shouldn't work, but it does!

A friend introduced me to the band last year and after listening to Everest and Spitfire was intrigued, so went to see them play at a very small venue in Cardiff. I am so glad I did. For only two chaps, they produced a very full sound which was quite superb. I had a brief chat with the most affable J Willgoose esq after the show - spiffing fellow.

Very much looking forward to seeing them again on tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug 2014
Mr. R. Williams (Twickenham, UK) - See all my reviews
Barmy and left-field and great fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars We've got a sampler, and we're trying to decide what to do with it., 12 May 2013
Having had high hopes for this album, and buoyed by the praise it's received from just about everywhere I looked, I have to say that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Indeed, it's hard to escape entirely from the nagging feeling that PSB's act may be something of a gimmick, and a gimmick with not all that long a shelf-life.
This is not to say that there are no highlights: there are. "Spitfire" and "Everest" are outstanding. It's in comparison with these tracks - and the magnificent "War Room" EP - that the reason why the other tracks are a let-down is clearest. What both "Spitfire" and "Everest" have is a clear and coherent structure; they - or the archive footage that they used - had a story to tell, and it was an interesting one in both cases. (The same is true of "London Can Take It" on "The War Room".) That's not the case for most of the rest of the album, though. The samples are mere fragments, and there's nothing much to unify them. They're too carefully chosen for us to be given the free rein to make something of them for ourselves; and yet they aren't stitched together in any way. The difference is the same as that between a collage and a collection of the bits from which a collage might be constructed.
This is not a bad album; but it's not a great one, either. Having a sampler and knowing how to use it isn't as substitute for knowing what you want to do with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 6 May 2013
A. Vale (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This is a guaranteed contender for my album of the year. Although I already owned most of the tracks from various EPs, singles, downloads, etc, this was a must-buy for me. A fantastic album and a fantastic live band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 3 July 2013
G. Howe - See all my reviews
I love the style of this, some tracks are world class and others are average. Overall it's a great album, and one to listen to again and again I did think though that the album is a bit short though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting edge nostalgia, 15 May 2013
Ian Barker (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inform - Educate - Entertain (MP3 Download)
With its clever blend of old soundtrack snippets and new music the début Public Service Broadcasting album is a unique sound. I was first introduced to their material via Radcliffe and Maconie on BBC 6 Music.

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the War Room EP with its more consistent theme. The two purely instrumental tracks seem rather out of step with the rest, but it's still an interesting and thought provoking collection especially if you recognise some of the source samples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Inform - Educate - Entertain (MP3 Download)
Discovered PSB thanks to Radcliffe and Maconey on 6Music, super album - have tried to explain it to others as War of the Worlds like...but bang up to date. Even my 9 year old loves it!

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›