5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of 2005, 1 Jun 2006
Mr. I. S. Dulley "iandulley" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
Well, for a start this isn't an album, it's an EP (at six tracks in length). But in the vein of most post rock bands, it's a rather lengthy affair so the price tag is warranted.

This album has been very well received, despite the inital release of a few hundred copies. Thanks largely to publicity from Decoymusic (namely Jordan Volz's "Top 50 of 2005") the band have built up a large fanbase.

The album itself is fantastic. When more and more post rock acts are trying to emulate the sound of mainstays Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Sigur Ros or Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You have built a sound that encapusaltes all that post rock has to offer without ripping off the more established artists. Sure, there are hints of other bands, because at the end of the day you can only take instrumental music so far before it starts to sound like old news, but there's enough experimentation here to ensure that the listener never gets bogged down by the cliches of post rock. Chiming guitars fuse with glitchy electronics over subdued strings, but it always sounds fresh and exciting.

It's a shame that This Will Destroy You are born out of Texas (not the UK) as they will probably never escape the comparisons to Explosions In The Sky, just as any post rock band coming out of Canada gets tarred with the GY!BE brush. But look past the pigeonholing and geographical categorisation of post rock bands, and see the quality and appeal of Young Mountain for what it really is. One of the finest post rock releases of 2005, if not the last decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of the best this year, 9 Dec 2006
T. Frankland (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing The World Is Our ____. It's not usually the type of music I listen to and I never usually buy after hearing one song, but I couldn't stop listening to that one song so I thought why not.

I have no regrets at all about buying it-it is one of my favourites. The sort of album that you just sit around simply listening to. You don't want to hear anything else incase it ruins the mood 'Young Mountain' puts you in. Simply amazing. My favourite song is 'Quiet', there are no words to describe how great that song is.

Buy it. You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Mountain, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
I haven't found a lot of post rock that appeals to me. Much of it seems monotonous and impenetrable. The bands I do like are those that mostly use conventional instruments who manage to impart a strong theme into their music which I can visualise. They create the soundtrack and I create the images if you like. TWDY are certainly a band who can do this. Their similarities to Explosions In The Sky are obvious but they successfully use a much larger range of sounds and instruments to paint a far broader canvas of images and emotions. The styles of this mini-LP (it's over 40 minutes long so I wouldn't really call it an EP) follow a lot of post rock conventions with their alternating loud / quiet sections but the melodies are exceptional. The start of opening track "Quiet" with it's guitar supported piano part is simple yet breathtakingly beautiful. Such a shame the only direction they can think of to take it in is to smother it in increasing layers of distorted guitar. Otherwise this is a gem of a cd with perfect little melodies popping up all over and a percussionist who knows how to add interest in the quiet sections and how to drive the music when its required (no monotonous marching rhythms here !). For newcomers to post rock this would be the perfect introduction but don't expect it all to be this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams are made of this, 14 Jun 2007
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
I've been using Last.fm recently and it's costing me money... Not that I mind when I unearth such treasures as this. They play extremely beautiful guitar-led post-rock in the same vein as 'Explosions in the Sky' - I have shivers down my spine listening to this. It works even better when alone at night, on headphones (as I am now :) ) - heartbreaking stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was taken away..., 14 Feb 2008
Ossuuary Thief (Wantage, Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
I listen to bands like Killswitch Engage, From Autumn to Ashes, etc, and I don't listen to instrumental music. My father has the complete collection of Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparrows... and none of them really got to me. (with the exception of Tool), but this one, this album by This Will Destroy You, really impressed me. It brought me to new places I want to be... It's so worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Young Mountain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Very quick delivery, vinyl arrived in perfect condition with no transit damage and the finish of the vinyl is gorgeous.

One of my favourite albums and it's a joy to have it in my LP collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 15 Oct 2006
David W. Stevens "bigbaddav" (Grantham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
Forget any kudos for this being a small record, buy if you like warm, rich and brilliant post rock. comparisons to Explosions, Mono, Et al stand up but this has it's own identity and is so much better for it. buy it, buy it, buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars incredible!, 2 Sep 2007
This review is from: Young Mountain CD (Audio CD)
One of the best albums i have heard all this year! The world must need more bands like you.
Thank you!