5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read for a very long time
Published on 4 Mar. 2013 by Eddie Nessuno

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine.
I'm afraid this may be damning with faint praise. The book was okay, nothing new was introduced over other similar books I have read in the genre and the characters did not have enough time to gain real depth. Maybe it would suit as a holiday book for people who enjoy Celtic fantasy books.
Published 9 months ago by Martha

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read for a very long time, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Manannan's Magic (Manannan Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
From the very first and magical sentence, I was hooked on this novel. In a truly human story set in the Isle of Man's misty past, when the Celts and the Vikings became embroiled in an unequal conflict, the characters, Renny, her fellow villagers together with the mysterious McLir, are so totally believable the reader becomes almost a part of this fabulous story. The writing is clear and uncluttered, the imagery powerful and the story-line unfolds as naturally as the opening of a flower. My wife and daughter must also read it. That's the thing about a really good book... it'll be enjoyed by both sexes and all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 16 April 2013
Ms. McGrath comes from the land of storytellers, and it shows! In this excellent story, we are introduced to McLir, who is a magician with many secrets, and Renny, a young woman on the threshold of womanhood. Their fates intertwine so beautifully and lyrically that you are swept away into their story effortlessly.

Simply put, I loved this book! Thank you, Ms. McGrath for writing it. I did some research after reading it, and apparently "McLir," or "Manannan," is a pretty famous figure on the Isle of Man. This telling is an origin story and is filled with romance, adventure, ships, and even a sword fight.

I highly recommend this book. If I could give this book more than five stars, I would, happily.

I received a complimentary copy of the book to review from the author. The opinions expressed are my own and I am not required to give a positive critique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 April 2013
Loved it! This novel was set in a world I knew very little about, a time when the Celts and Vikings where in heated conflicts near the isle of Man. I learned so much from reading this. The story told in the first person read smoothly and describe the scenes in vivid detail. I love it when I can totally disappear inside a story like this. This is a must read for anyone wanting to experience life in this time period. It is a story of recovery and life inside a cave that becomes a home, a place of security with a future away from a father that made life unbearable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich & smooth, like a good cup of coffee, 9 April 2013
K. A. Krisko (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a smoothly-written, detailed and satisfying story. It's set in the old Celtic British Isles, and it's easy to become totally immersed in that world, with its tinge of superstition, smoky homes, bracken-covered slopes, and suspicion of strangers. Although there's a lot of life detail, there's never too much; just when it might get boring, the author deftly moves on to other things, so you get a rich impression of the daily lives of the characters without it becoming mundane. Everyone stays in character; there are no anachronisms, no illogical jumps in understanding, and the protagonists are normal and believable people.

I actually read this book word-for-word. It's pretty typical for me to skip paragraphs here and there, but in this case I didn't, even at the end. I didn't want to miss the vital little clues hidden in the rich descriptions, and I really enjoyed the style.

There's not a huge amount of action, but things pick up in the second half. The ending is realistic, if not high on the happy scale. It left me wondering about the lives of some of the characters, curious to find out more. Fortunately, it looks like there's more to this series, so I can satisfy my curiosity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable Read, 28 Mar. 2013
Manannan's Magic tells of the coming of age of Renny the heroine of the story. Renny is thoughtfully portrayed, as she deals with the turbulent events that shape her life. Despite dealing with the cruelty of a mean spirited father, plague, and vicious Viking raids that effect everything Renny has ever known, there is a surprising gentleness to this story. Manannan McLir, a fantastic character, so well written that even when he is not in a scene you want to know what he is doing. Whatever is happening when Manannan is present he provides a calming reassurance. I appreciated the author avoiding a predictable conclusion. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine., 8 Jun. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting start, 6 Jan. 2014
I liked the concept of the book but unfortunately it didn't live up to it. It lacked substance and the writing was not at all engaging

5.0 out of 5 stars carried me along to the end, 12 Nov. 2013
Enjoyed the book. I forgot to take books on holiday so I downloaded this to my phone and I carried on reading when I got home. Good sign.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 2 Sept. 2013
Well written character's in an entertaining tale
The story has a nice pace that shows the development of the main characters I would have liked more development of the background tale for the magician but I hope the rest of the trilogy will fulfil this need. Looking forward to reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tale from Times Gone By, 28 July 2013
I found this book to be a captivating read. I do enjoy being immersed in and escaping to places and times gone by and Michele's narrative created an atmospheric backdrop in which the characters were both believable and engaging. Recommended.

Manannan's Magic (Manannan Trilogy Book 1)