5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Quality
The Bose SoundDock II system has the most amazing sound. Bose really know how to let you here every detail in a piece of music. There are not any controls on the unit other than volume. You do not need to tweek any trebles or bass as the sound is just amazing. I would throughly recommend this product. I wish I had purchased it sooner!
Published on 25 Aug. 2011 by Tarcon

1.0 out of 5 stars Bose soundDock problem
Published on 18 Jan. 2012 by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Quality, 25 Aug. 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Bose soundDock problem, 18 Jan. 2012
I bought this product just over two years ago. It has recently stopped producing any sound when the iPod is inserted. I have done some research online and it seems that this problem is not uncommon. The repair costs ú75 and is only guaranteed for a further 12 months. Bose admit that the connector pins are a weak link and advised me only to use the remote to control iPod when it is in the docking station. Bose has always meant "quality" to me but this item is simply not up to the job.Bose« SoundDock« digital music system (Gloss Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Ipod Dock for the Bedroom, 21 July 2014
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bose « SoundDock « Series III Digital Music System - Black (Electronics)
This SoundDock by Bose is an excellent choice for an Ipod docking station. The bass notes have a warm vibrancy, the treble range is crystal clear, and the mid-range is solid. I've got my SoundDock in the bedroom and it is more than powerful enough to fill the room with enveloping sound, without any distortion. It is very well known that Bose defy the truism that small speakers can't give a powerful sound, and I can vouch for the superb quality of this system, having used one for the last couple of years. It doesn't matter if you like Pink Floyd, Lady Gaga, Steely Dan, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Gabriel, Andrea Bocelli or whoever, this little system will enable you to have the maximum enjoyment of your Ipod music collection. Although I have my system in the bedroom, the SoundDock is probably powerful enough for most rooms in the house. I think it is good for a bedroom, because of it's relatively compact size and elegant design. Furthermore, having owned my SoundDock for two years and played it most days, I've had no faults or issues with reliability.
As an alternative solution, I can thoroughly recommend the Denon Envaya portable Bluetooth speaker - Denon Envaya Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black.
Thank you for reading this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plumbing the depths, 25 May 2015
Petrolhead (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Bose seems to have a great reputation, so much so that I thought there must be something wrong with my ears, or with my ability to operate this device. The thing is so simple - you stick your iphone in and the sound is amplified through the Bose SoundDock - that I found it frustrating when it didn't sound right and I couldn't work out how to fix it. But, after examing the SoundDock thoroughly and reading the manual, it's clear: there is NO WAY to adjust the bass/treble. The SoundDock is stuck on mega-bass, like some hangover from an 80s boombox. But 80s boomboxes did at least come with graphic equalisers as well. But this is terrible.

I like listening to Radio 4. When I plug my iphone in to the SoundDock, it sounds as though I've just thrown a very thick duvet over the speaker. Adjusting the "Music" settings on my iphone does not compensate. The sound comes out so muffled that it's hard to understand the spoken word without listening very carefully. If the SoundDock faces competition, from another person speaking in the room for example, its low rumblings are scattered to the four winds. Maybe people who just want to listen to bass-heavy music would appreciate this. But for spoken word, forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great!, 23 Mar. 2014
I love the sound on this sound dock and have used it almost constantly since I bought it. The colour matches my ipod nano 7th gen perfectly. The only niggle, if there is one, is that the ipod nano has to sit to the side of the lightning connection but this is the fault of the ipod nano rather than the Bose sound dock! I would highly recommend this if you want good quality sound to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A soundock that's at the top of the range, 18 Oct. 2013
I was pleased to see that Bose had re-designed the mains plug on this model. Prior to this the plug soon became worn and was responsible for multiple failures on the first device we purchased. With this kind of improvement already achieved this Bose unit would benefit in the re-design of the iPod seating which seems to be tenuous and unsteady for the player. However, these issues do not detract from the fact that this portable/versatile digital music system faithfully reproduces music at a very high quality in any setting, with controls either within the base unit or via a remote control. I confess to being a Bose fan because the quality of reproduction from such small devices in its range is remarkable. As a lifetime fan of quality studio music production, now in my mid 60s I was not easily persuaded to abandon large heavy multiple hi-fi speakers previously needed to generate anything like a faithful reproduction in terms of high/mid frequency and bass. But now I am converted and now there is plenty of space in all our rooms for my wife's numorous soft furnishings and nick-nacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound. Just a Shame About Bose Customer Service in the UK., 29 Mar. 2015
DAT MANAGEN "The Amazonian" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I must declare from the outset that I'm a huge Bose fan as far as the sound quality of their products is concerned. I have Bose audio sort of "plumbed in" through the whole of my house. Dr Amar Bose (yes, there really was such a person!) was nothing short of a genius in my humble opinion.

To be fair though, the original version of the SoundDock III did have a couple of very valid gripes about it. So I'm sure it's no coincidence that a lot of the poor reviews here date back to 2012. Specifically the valid gripes being that the lightning mount was very flimsy, and Bose had inexplicably forgot to include an AUX socket so that people with older (30-pin) iPods/iPhones, or non-Apple gear couldn't actually use it.

But if you look at a good photo of the updated versions (there are better images elsewhere), they SoundDock III now has quite a sturdy support behind the lightning port, which means it's a lot more stable when popping your Apple product on and off the connector. And secondly, all models now have an AUX input socket on the back (i.e. a standard headphone jack) so you can now play preety much any MP3 player on it.

My really BIG gripe with Bose... and curiously only Bose UK, is the astoundingly bad customer service. It's as if once they've got your money they don't seem to give a c**p whether you're happy with the product or not. As I say, this seems to be an attitude unique to Bose in the UK. Customer services for Bose in the USA, or Canada, or Australia, or even Central Europe is fantastic.

So yes, I'd thoroughly recommend the actual product. If you've never heard Bose equipment before you'll be in for a very pleasant shock at how good sound can be from such a relatively small unit. Just beware of Customer Service at Bose UK though!

Sadly Dr Amar Bose passed away in 2013. I DO hope the high quality products will carry on without him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be, 7 Dec. 2013
Arrived very quickly but wasn't what I had expected. The bass wasn't deep enough for me, maybe it was my room who knows. I sent it back to amazon and bought a Denon DM39DAB Black + Dali Zensor 1 for nearly the same price. I can plug my iphone in and the sound is just amazing! Also has a cd, dab radio and usb socket.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather over-rated and dramatically over-priced, 6 April 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
You either subscribe to the Bose hype or you do not. The Bose TV demos appear impressive, but they need to be as they are their main means to find buyers. It is my understanding that many use the 30-day returns policies provided by the TV sales channels as they are less than satisfied about build quality, performance or price, whatever the Bose product then on offer. You may be unknowingly buying a pre-owned product when purchasing one!

The core of most Bose products is their 'sound channel technology' which is not unique or one invented by Bose but is based upon the same principals used in church organ pipes, the speaker horns used in early gramophones (the record players of the 1920s and earlier) and by all woodwind and brass instruments - the length of the tube amplifies the sound. The Bose implementation, rather than absorbing or otherwise reducing the volume levels of the back wave (that derived from the rear of a speaker cone and which usually confuses the listener because it largely cancels out the front wave), chooses to instead amplify them via the sound channels. Why not use the front channel instead as it is that which we would expect to hear? It makes little sense and I have never yet heard or read any explanation of its supposed advantages.

The marketing ploy is that you pay a high premium for the claimed quality of the sound, not for the components used or the cost of manufacture, in their case neither is especially high. This is a concept never before used by any other electronics manufacturer. There are those who are fans of Apple's media products, Sony's or any other but if one suggested that you pay a 2-300% price premium because the sound or picture from their products was possibly better than any other, would anyone buy them? Probably not! Both are large companies, but Bose is not and it needs its own unique selling point to remain in business. The only near comparison I know of is Cowon, whose media players are slightly more expensive than others but the sound quality is way beyond the remainder and you need to spend considerably more to hear yet better.

The Bose products are not exceptionally well-made and use components comparable to those found in any mid-priced product, one that is not subject to excessive sales hype. I also know that their service needs for faulty products are higher than average and that the cost of repair can be rather high - there are one or two related comments by other reviewers. I borrowed this from an acquaintance after someone I know, who owns some extremely expensive hi-fi equipment, appeared to claim that Bose products had to be heard to be believed. I did not realise until a later conversation that his comments were not intended to be taken seriously and that he was amazed that many quite literally bought into the Bose claims.

Owning another iPod speaker dock that then sold for about ú80 and which produced a very good quality of sound, I wanted to see whether the additional amount asked for this was at all justified. I think not; it was loud but I found that its sound stage image was ill-defined and no better than with the other dock, which was several inches wider. Mine is also mains powered via an adapter, but could in principle be made portable if a suitable battery pack could be rigged. The Bose is battery powered and therefore fully portable from the outset. When the speakers within are separated by a few inches centre-to-centre, the sweet point is at a distance only about 7/10 of that separation distance, probably as little as 5 or 6 inches with my own dock. It is for that reason that hi-fi speakers are usually placed near the corners of a room.

Having previously tried a pair of Bose in-ear phones and found them very disappointing and returned them for refund, I was expecting a little better as the speaker units used here would be rather larger than their tiny equivalents within the ear phones. I don't believe the Bose Dock to be that exceptional.

In terms of overall value, performance etc, I would offer 4-5 stars for portability, 1 for performance and 1 also for value, hence the overall 2-stars. Buy it if you believe Bose, otherwise look around for a more price-effective alternative - there are several to choose between.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Jan. 2012
A Brilliant bit of kit I love it what a sound
10* reccomended to anyone who appreciates a good sound