on 22 December 2011
Purchased this in August, and really liked it. It's an excellent idea, and one I enjoyed while it worked.

However, less than two months of use later and 2 of the 8 legs have snapped at the body, rendering it fairly useless.

Contacted the manufacturer (Breffo), and they sent me to Amazon.
Amazon then sent me to the seller (mygearstore).
Mygearstore then sent me away with no refund or return, claiming that as it was sold as 'Fulfiled By Amazon', they're not responsible.

I'm absolutely disgusted, enough so to leave this review (I generally only review items I either love or hate) and as a warning to others to seriously consider whether to buy this, and also if they choose to do so, I would recommend NOT using mygearstore as the seller.
on 23 June 2011
After having seen this wonderful little gadget featured on the Apprentice I decided to purchase one for myself and I wasn't disappointed. The eight rubberized legs of the octopod are incredibly strong - so much so that I have trusted my most precious devices in some precarious situations. So far I have found the Breffo Spiderpodium Gadget Grip useful for attaching my iPod Touch to the handlebars of my bike and the dashboard of my car. The grip is very secure meaning that it doesn't move at all when going over bumps when driving or cycling. Also it has been useful as a stand for watching movies on my iPod and for propping up my iPod on my bedside table. Additionally, when the iPod is upright the device can be charged through the hole in body.

Since, I have tried out my sat nav and phone with this device and it has worked perfectly showing that it is compatible will all handheld devices.

Overall, a superb device for firmly holding your gadgets in almost any position. It has been so good that I have ordered another as a spare. I would thoroughly recommend product.
on 21 April 2012
The problem I have always had with cameras on phones is there has never been any support for tripods.

OK, so there still isn't, but this little beastie is such a simple design and yet works perfectly.

I use the standard mobile phone sized one to hold my Galaxy Note (5" screen device) and it works a treat - it's a solid grip, and I can hang the phone from trees or prop it on fences to take photographs.

It also works great in the car and lets me grip my phone onto the air vent.

Get one - the possibilities are endless!
on 17 November 2011
I put this on my bike to use my smart phone GPS while cycling around London. I put it on and take it off every time I use it, so probably about 15 times to date. Noticed one broken leg a week ago and yesterday I noticed 2 more had broken! Granted it depends on the way you use the device, but for £10+ I would hope for better inner steel or whatever.

I emailed the sellers asking about the frequency of broken legs and have not heard back from them almost a week later.
on 6 January 2014
I have a little car and have struggled to find any Gps/smartphone mount that would fit easily onto the vent, I have tried windscreen mounts before but don't like the marks they leave or the fact they keep falling off.

This little gizmo does away with both of those, the eight flexible legs let you position it any way you like, that could be as a stand to watch a film, stick a couple of the rubber coated legs through a vent and then use the rest to hold the phone in your car, hang it off a shelf so you can see your recipes at eye level, and as my little one has pointed out, it's perfect for making videos of him playing Minecraft to post on Youtube.

It's very versatile and I would definitely recommend it.
on 19 September 2011
I bought this product for the sole reason of holding my mobile phone to take pictures whilst out in the countryside. It works brilliantly as you can stand it or affix it to anything whilst taking pictures using the self timer. I am sure it has many other uses but works brill for what I purchased it for.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I never liked Frank Marshall's film `Arachnophobia` as I have an inherent distrust of 8-legged creatures - but not anymore. After purchasing the Braffo Spiderpodium Gadget Grip and Travel Dock - Black, my life has been transformed. I now positively welcome the little air-breathing arthropods into my home with gay abandon.

I have written several times to NASA to recommend this product (awaiting reply at this time) as I feel that it could help their astro-cosmonauts much as it has helped me. I use it in my car (An Audi DIESEL) to support my precious phone whilst charging and/or using as a SATNAV.

I use it at work on my office desk, allowing my to focus my full attention on the BBC Cricket website whilst pretending to do work - previously I had no other option but to hold my phone whilst doing this.

Awesome - buy it... NOW!

PASS
on 1 April 2014
The spiderpodium, when it comes down to it, is quite a simple idea. And what it does, it does pretty well. I now have two of them (both graphite).

My original purpose was for attaching to my bicycle so I could use my phone for gps, etc - which I have since done on occasion. The legs are quite a grippy texture. Once you get it positioned correctly it is very secure, and as long as it's not raining I can't say I worry that much about the fact that a £350 smartphone is balancing precariously on my handlebars.. Smartphones are getting bigger and bigger, and it is just about big enough to accommodate my LG G2 (5.2" screen)

That original spiderpodium is now positioned in the vents of my car so that I can plug my phone in and use it again as a gps, music player etc. Again once set up this works well and keeps the phone securely gripped in place. Even two legs under the phone are enough to keep it in place in portrait. As a bonus I have even stuck an NFC tag to the middle of the spiderpodium which automatically enables car mode and all my car settings when I place the phone in the spiderpodium.
However in my car (mazda 6) the vents are round and don't provide as much in the way of helpful points to attach to which does make it a little more difficult to set up. UPDATE - I have since used Sugru to form my own little hooks in the car, which provide a much more secure fix in a more convenient location - but obviously with some extra expense.

I have not thus far had any issues with the legs snapping as others have described - perhaps they've ended up with fakes? - My first was purchased directly from breffo and my second directly from Amazon and they are both exactly the same - although there is a rather sad notice that comes in the box telling you the legs might break if you put too much pressure on them, which seems like a bit of a cop out to me.

The main con for me is the inherent trade off of ease of set up vs. flexibility. This is the same for all of these kinds of products (I'm looking at you Gorillapod).
While it is quick to set up something simple just to stick your phone in, your initial attempt may not be the most stable, or symmetrical, or otherwise aesthetically pleasing. If you can get your legs to be as perfectly straight as they are in all the pictures then you're much better at this than me. You can then sit there for ten or twenty minutes fiddling with it trying to get it in to just the right angle. Then you'll find your new attempt was worse than your previous one.. but in real life there's (unfortunately) no undo button so you have to try and recreate your old attempt and inevitably end up with something not quite as good.... ad infinitum. Then if you want to pick it up and take it somewhere else you lose all your hard work. This does improve with practice but until they invent a real world save button there's not much to be done about it (other than buy lots of spiderpodiums).

If you have a use for it then its certainly a useful product that fills a gap. The flexibility of the spiderpodium is not really matched by any other product that I know of. It's just best to buy it if you already have a problem you want to solve rather than buying it in the hope of finding a problem you didn't know you had.
on 19 August 2011
I guessed this gadget may be useful but you never know do you?!
It is a simple idea but such a good one. The legs are covered in a rubbery material that grips very well.
I have no idea what is inside - wire? My only concern is that whatever it is may snap eventually from constantly being manipulated. However, no problems so far.
Phone - HTC Sensation.
I can use this to stand the phone up on my bedside, on my desk etc.
It is useful as a stand to watch videos and use to stand the phone up for my 3 yr old to watch his shows.
I guess I probably could use it as a tripod - yet to be done.
I bought an £18 car windscreen holder for my HTC sensation with suction cup. This has quickly stopped working and falls off the screen.
Now I just use the Breffo - 4 legs to hold the phone and 4 set straight back into my air vents - they are grippy so don't fall out even though they are not actually hooked on anything.
I may just get another couple to save keep undoing it from the car.
If in doubt - get one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2012
I liked this product so much much that I ended up buying 5 of them, one each for my grown children to use in their cars! I found it fantastically simple and easy to use but the kids didn't use them at all! I use it for sat nav to avoid the blob on the window and for phone to keep it handy. It bends easily and I can't see any sign of the plastic splitting or it not bending in the near future. Good and inexpensive product