4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, but oh those instructions!
This is a nice, compact set, for trimming, shaving and removing body hair. Neatly packed, it contains one handset, a choice of 2 heads - one for shaving, the other for depilation. A selection of guards are designed to fit the appropriate head, so its not possible to fit the wrong guard to the wrong head.

First you have to charge the rechargable batteries in...
Published 16 months ago by Constant Reader

Published 14 months ago by Dinah85

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, but oh those instructions!, 21 May 2013
Constant Reader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips SatinSoft HP6522/01 Wet & Dry Epilator with Shaving Attachment and Exfoliation Brush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First you have to charge the rechargable batteries in the handset for an hour with the plug and lead provided; there is an indicator light which tells you when its fully charged. 1 month later with light use the initial charge is still going strong.

You are advised to use the exfoliator brush supplied 24 hours in advance of depilation. I loved the exfoliator brush, its pretty and feminine with a plastic crystal on top to fit over the fingers and give you a good grip. I will probably use this more than anything else. I do not plan my hair removal sessions 24 hours in advance though, and I don't think pre-exfoliation really makes much difference to how well the epilator works.

I tried the epilator first. The massage guard was quite easy to fit, although since it has rather flimsy moving bars I managed to disconnect one, but this was easily put back into place. I didn't even notice any massaging effect. The epilator has to be held at right angles to the surface of the skin and worked very well although I did go over the surface of my legs a couple of times to make sure I got all the hairs. A word of caution though, the epilator head has moving blades, don't press too hard. I didn't keep the handset upright as I negotiated a tricky turn round the outside of my knee and ended up nicking the skin. After initial reservations, mainly based on the fact that I'd never used an epilator before, I find I'm using it exclusively, rather than wax or razors, because its so convenient and works really well.

The razor head has a foil guard and works very well, much like other ladies razors.

There are two more guards, one for protecting areas like the bikini line and one for trimming hair. How you use this third one isn't clear and this leads me to the instructions...

Philips makes very decent kit, so I don't understand why they keep ruining it with pathetically inadequate instructions. You get one small page of pictures with this kit and a few hints on the box. Compared to pages of printed warranty in all languages. From the pictures and the box I worked out how to use the heads and 2 out of 3 of the guards, but it did detract from the experience.

Finally there is a little cream plastic bag in which to keep your razor, heads and guards and the little brush for cleaning them. Its a nice set, but as I said before be prepared to work much of it out for yourself. And take care when using the epilator.

Update: I did find instructions on Philips' webpage here, but presumably they were too big to fit in the package:-

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not quite as good as Shaving, 20 Jun 2013
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The problem with ALL epilators is they leave your legs bumpy. There's just no getting away from bumby red and blotchy legs. At the end of the day the idea is it's a time saver. You epilate your legs and then that's you for far longer than a shave will do. The trouble is shaving leaves me smooth, blotch free and without any pain. I've tried this using warm water, cold water, special gels, and I've tried lots of epilators ... I try one every couple of years in the vain hope things have improved drastically. Nope. It's always the same for me. My husband remarks the same about electric razors. He tries them every so often but always goes back to a good old wet razor.

So sorry to report folks .... Nothing new here for newbie's or the hopeful. Unless you already use an epilator and need a new one nothing has changed sufficiently for me to recommend buying one. Which is a shame as this one is quite a bargain !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-rounder, 23 Jun 2013
whipmeupsomecream (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What I love about Philips is their consistency with quality. This SatinSoft total body epilator is no exception and this must be the fourth or fifth Philips epilator I've used. There aren't a huge number of differences between this model and the last and I do think that Philips try and cram a bit too much in to what is essentially a great stand-alone device. Personally don't bother using the body brush that you get with it and the extra attachment heads could be quite handy. But the main plus for me is that it epilates superbly to the point where once a month is sufficient for me not to worry even in summer. I find that it doesn't shave as well as it epilates, having said that it still does a good job of it even in the shower. My only real gripe is that you need to plug it in and wait for it to charge. What I preferred about previous models of Philips epilators is that you could plug it in, switch it on and use. I find the rechargeable part a faff, but I suppose that's because of the wet/dry mechanism. I like the fact that the plug attachment is for a normal mains plug use rather than a shaving point attachment, as some other brands only include a shaving plug attachment and not a mains one. Buy this is you want a robust, good quality epilator that will last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than epilators used to be, but I'll stick to a razor thanks, 27 Jun 2013
Dinah85 "Dinah93" (Cleveland,UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I last tried an epilator around 10 years ago when at university, and I'm pleased to say the pain I remember, something skin to having all the hair and skin on my legs removed by acid, is now noticeably better. While I can't say using the satinsoft was a pleasant experience, it didn't make me cry. Unfortunately I'm dark haired, and so results are very easy to see, I found I had to go over areas repeatedly, which irritated my skin, and even then it didn't leave a finish anywhere near as smooth as I get with a razor. I would be happy to put up with the discomfort if the results lasted longer, or were to a higher quality, but I can't say this epilator won on either account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 11 Aug 2014
I already have a dry epilator that I just can't use, its that painful but I am due to go on holiday shortly but my full wax package costs about 60 then all the hair starts to grow back on the 2nd week of my holiday and I end up with the very noticeable ugly shaving rash, so, this year I decided enough is enough. I bought this epilator as it can be used in hot water and what a difference, yes its very very painful but I am convinced that this pain will eventually be like plucking my eyebrows which doesn't hurt now. I have done both legs on a first attempt which took about 2 days stopping and starting, I never got all the hair but plan to shave my legs and start again in a couple of days, its not quite as excruciating on very short hair and I can already see the difference plus my bikini line did not hurt very much and this is the area where the hair grows back first and ladies we all know what the shaving rash looks and feels like down there its not pleasant & quite sore so aiming to be using the epilator a lot on this area on holiday with no shaving rash - can't actually wait!!! I definitely recommend a wet & dry epilator for first time users, my dry epilator is top of the range and very expensive so I am hoping after a few months I can graduate to using that one as well as the Philips.

4.0 out of 5 stars No pain no gain!, 23 Jun 2013
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never used one of these before, so I was a little sceptical on using!

The instructions, or rather lack of, where not exactly reassuring for me either! I have to say, I was a little overwhelmed with the attachments, what is best and how to useand it is a shame the instructions didn't really help especially with a first time user like me.

I have tried a few of the different heads but to be honest the teeth on its own is best. I am going to be honest and say it was quite sore, I had no idea it would b painful, naively thinking it was like an oversized razor type thing but please be aware there will be pain. Having said that though, its not too bad and you get used to it after a while.

I made the mistake of using it dry, i didn't like it. Use in the shower as it can be used wet or dry and wet is best i thought for both results and pain. I have only used on my legs at the moment as my underarms are very sensitive but you can use there and bikini line too which is handy to have an all rounder.

Overall, great price for what it does and you get a fair few heads, an exfoliater brush, and carry bag so great for a set. Good results just make yourself ready for a little pain, no pain no gain eh?!?

Cassandra220689

4.0 out of 5 stars Wet/Dry epilator, 12 Jun 2013
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the fact that you can use it in the shower but when I used it in the shower (& I must add it was just as painful as outside the water) , using it in the water (when your skin is at its most sensitive) made my skin come out in a rash for 1-2 hours.
Other than that, it does take the hairs out very well, even short hairs. It seems very good at gripping the hairs.
It does rotate faster, thus leading to quicker results (as promised in the description).

it is quite light & soft to hold & easy to work with. I prefer the shape of it as it holds better for my small hands.

it also has a shaving attachment which makes it ideal for cutting the hairs shorter if needed prior to epilating (NEVER EVER ATTEMPT TO EPILATE LONG HAIRS!

It has 2 speed settings, & charges quite quickly (within 1 hour) & gives roughly about 40 minutes of cordless epilation).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shave/epilator, slightly let down by the on-off button and poor instructions, 18 Jun 2013
M. Potter (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(Review from my Wife!)
The shaver fits well in the hand so in that sense is ergonomically good but let down by the on-off button, which is difficult to use. The supplied instructions didn't help much as they are extremely brief - really it could have done with better instructions. That said both the epilator and shaver did a good job (I couldn't tell the difference having used the epilator on one leg and shaver on the other). The epilator is also not as painful to use as my other shaver (a Braun) and would not doubt be even better when used wet (I haven't tried this yet). Charging is quick (about an hour) and it seems to hold charge well so no complaints there. The shaver is also pretty quiet in use and changing heads is quick and easy.

So all in all a good shaver/epilator, slightly let down by the difficult to use on-off button and poor instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips satin soft HP6522/01 wet and dry, 13 Sep 2013
An excellent product works well in either wet or dry but I found it doesn't hurt as much when used wet I highly recommend as having used razors and waxing also I got better results from the epilator it also means less cuts and razor burn lol :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful product, 8 Dec 2013
I had a different model origioanlly (the satin perfect) which was great. It had plastic wheels which caught the shortest of hairs on the bikini line and underarms. It gave up and I bought this one. It's rubbish. it's metal wheels are so painful to use. Catch the hairs but don't actually pull them out. I have to go over the same area repeatedly which leaves my skins sore for days after, yet it staes it is for sensitive skin. This will be going back!!