5.0 out of 5 stars Great little product easy to use
Published on 28 Jun. 2013 by Bevrbp

3.0 out of 5 stars Smooth on underarms, bad for legs
Having never used an epilator before (or wax strips/salon waxing), swearing by the smooth results my disposable razors gave, I decided to give one a go, as I was tired of having to shave literally every day/ other day.
Published 6 months ago by K B

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little product easy to use, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Philips Satinelle Corded Epilator HP6423/00 with Ladyshave Head Plus Trimming Comb (Personal Care)
Just bought this product from Boots where it was on offer and it is absolutely brilliant value. Always waxed my legs but decided to have a go with an epilator (will save money after only two uses!) Got home and gave it a try and it is so easy to use - just literally whizz up and down and all the hairs are removed effortlessly and pain free. It may be that I am used to waxing that it was so easy to use but really cannot complain about the ease of use. May be the down side is that it is not cordless but to be honest it only takes a couple of minutes to use so I don't mind staning near a plug to use it for that length of time..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent epilator, 13 Aug. 2014
After biting the bullet this year and having my legs waxed for the first time, I thought I may as well buy an epilator and save myself some money.
I'm very impressed with the speedy delivery, it arrived this morning day 2 after purchase.
I really like this epilator, it is very compact and has a long cord which means I can sit on the edge of my bed not the floor, I prefer having a corded one to a rechargeable one as I know it wont run out and leave me half plucked.
Epilating is soooo much less painful than waxing, I don't come home with half my skin ripped off which the beautician put down to my sensitive skin and I am in control of my own pain, not waiting for some one else to inflict it. Also the beautician would not wax my legs until there was 2 weeks of growth saying the hair was not long enough, so I would find I had to cover up my legs for 2 weeks instead of 1 which the epilator removed.
I used my epilator 1 hour ago and the redness has already gone down, when waxing this would take at least 3 hours.
If you are new epilating then I recommend you get your legs waxed a couple of times first so that you have a standard of pain to go by and it gets rid of all the thick hairs which makes it more painful in the first place. Also we all have one side of our body with a lower pain threshold than the other, sounds daft but it is true, start on this side first then it doesn't feel so bad when you get to the other side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Smooth on underarms, bad for legs, 15 Jan. 2015
As soon as this arrived I used it straight away on my legs. Followed the instructions about holding it 90° etc. Yet I was seriously disappointed with the results. My leg hairs were at what I considered the right length yet I found myself going over the same area loads, with hairs simply being cut short, rather than from the root. However, i decided not to write the product off completely, so I tried it again a few days later on my underarms. Honestly, I'm really happy with the results here. Having never used an epilator before I went on a forum and found some general advice on them, about turning the epilator at different angles and directions (which this one fails to tell you) and it has completely taken all the hairs from my underarms from the root :-)
I have tried my legs over and over, however, and I still cannot get a smooth finish. More like a day or two after shaving feeling, with bobbly bits :-/ I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong, as I even waited for them to grow a little more before trying again.
This epilator claims to have been £70 before, so I was expecting better results... But yeah, happy with the underarms, not so much the legs. P.s. The pain is a given and you get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that painful, 1 Sept. 2013
It took me ages to choose one. Not disapointed at all. It's compact. Not as loud as I was as expecting & nowhere near as painful as I was lead to believe. By the 2nd time you use it there is no pain as the hairs seem less resistant. I found waxing more painful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips Satinelle Epilator HP6423/00., 26 Oct. 2013
J. Mcdonald "Yelochre" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is a joint effort, as the evaluation was carried out by my glamorous assistant L. who hadn't used an epilator before; instructions were easy to follow and the unit worked straight out of the box; this is how she fared...

"Let's just say that whoever said 'beauty suffers no pain' was lying! I m a bit of a wimp to begin with, so generally opt for the least painful method of hair removal; shaving, creams etc. and waxing only as a necessary evil before holidaying. Bearing that in mind, I was naturally a bit apprehensive about using the epilator for the first time. I decided to epilate one leg and shave the other. (probably just as well `cause I don`t think my pain threshold could have held out over 2 legs). I would love to say I was pleasantly surprised but to be truthful I found it painful. In fairness my hair was quite long as I hadn't shaved for a couple of weeks so that might be relevant. Perhaps with repeated use the experience would become progressively less painful and I will persevere in this belief as the finished result looks good. Despite the pain, I was pleased with the end result - smooth finish and the obvious advantage over shaving is that the signs of re-growth take longer to show. The razor performed reasonably well and unlike a manual razor there were no cuts to deal with, however I definitely get a better result with a manual razor. Would I use it again? Yes, but wouldn't pay the full price for it (£70) - It would be a great addition to the holiday soap bag.The device is portable, with a nylon pouch. It`s easy to hold and feels reasonably sturdy, however a re-chargeable option would have been preferable instead of always having to use it from the mains. I couldn't bring myself to epilate the more sensitive areas - attempted the bikini line but just too sore. Ideal for lower leg for longer lasting smooth finish, for everything else there's cream and razors!"

So, How to rate the product? It does the job, but clearly isn't painless and has the drawback of mains operation only; L. would give it 3 stars, I`d be inclined towards 3 ½ as it compares well enough in build quality with most men's razors - but I`m not the one using it - so 3 it is. My thanks to L.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one years ago, 23 April 2014
I cannot lie to you; this hurts. A lot. My legs aren't so much hairy as furry - I have very dark, dense hairs - so I have been a slave to shaving since my teenage years. Having to shave pretty much every other day in the summer was becoming a real drag and a friend recommended I try an epilator. This little gizmo is very effective. There are none of the dark dots leftover after shaving and the regrowth didn't start to show for 7 days. The first time I used this, the hairs were quite long (about 10 days growth) and I wonder whether this made it more painful. It took an hour and some steely determination to complete the job the first time but it was worth it. The second usage was much better so I think if you can cope with the pain of the first use you will be fine.
Immediately after use, the skin is red and blotchy (think plucked chicken) but that is no different than waxing and it calms down within a few hours. Having waxed occasionally in the past, I can say this was much less irritating to my skin because it only grabs the hair. It also seems to live up to the claim on the box regarding picking up very short hairs.
Overall very effective and good value for money. I will be using it regularly for my legs but I can say with absolute certainty that it won't be going anywhere near my bikini line - I'm really not that brave!

4.0 out of 5 stars i will be buying this again if i ever need another after this one, 25 Jan. 2015
great product, i have used the braun silk epil for a few years but i was fed up of the motor going after a year and the battery running out halfway through a leg etc! this in my opinion is a better product for getting out all hairs unlike braun, the most painless one i have ever used unlike braun, really quick unlike braun, light and comfy to hold unlike braun, i do miss the light from the braun and this one is really noisy, but i can forgive all of that because its so thorough and easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Join the Smooth Legs Gang, 29 Oct. 2013
D Webster "djelly" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is beautifully packaged in a little drawstring bag with shaver and epilator changeable heads and a brush for cleaning. I was a bit daunted to use it at first as it sounds like a pneumatic drill. I tried it on my partners neck and his son's hairline. They both said 'ouch!' Meanwhile I grew my leg hairs. The first time I tried it I felt it was for masochists. There were a series of little electric shocks. A few days later, I poored over the spec sheet and noticed that pulling the skin tight was recommended. I tried again pulling back the skin (on my legs). This time the sensation was totally bearable, even comfortable. I wonder if like waxing, your hormonal status is in the stakes? It did miss a few but I just went over them again and then moisturised. My only caveat about this great little tool (apart from the scary loud sound and I haven't even notched up the speed) is that it takes nerve to try it on a new area: a lot more than I have to try my bikini or underarm area (I will update this review if I garner any more pluck). It beats shaving the legs heads-down though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, 29 May 2014
Yes it hurt, but to be fair, I was expecting that. It did struggle to pick up some the very fine hairs on my legs, but for the less-than-fine hairs it was wonderful!
The shaving I was a little disappointed with, it wasn't very effective but as that wasn't the reason I brought it, I'm not too fussed

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not painless !!, 21 Oct. 2013
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit to not looking forward to trying this out as I am a right wimp when it comes to pain, BUT I gave it a few goes so I could write a fair review.

As I can barely see the screen through my tears I would like to appologise for any grammer, spelling mistakes etc.

It hurts. I cannot say it is painless as it is not and all in all I would prefer to shave I think although the Philips Epilator does last longer (hairless wise).

I have to say that this was very easy to use straight from the box and does work on quite short hair very well. The epilator its self is quite sweet to look at and the price seems to be very fair. I think now though, it might disappear to the back of my 'ouchy' drawer.

They say no pain no gain............I am staying off the pain and blow the pain......