5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first hair clipper!
This is my first ever hair clipper to be used for my first attempts at cutting my own hair...

Published 12 months ago by Max Ruddock

1.0 out of 5 stars Only last 6 months
Published 3 months ago by bobbob

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first hair clipper!, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Philips QC5570/13 DIY Easy Reach 180 Degree Hair Clipper (Personal Care)

The clipper comes with a 3-15mm comb that is in normal terms Grades 1 - 5. For someone like me who's used to having their hair cut at Grade 8 on top - this is quite a bit shorter! However, times are hard and spending £10 every 3 weeks in a hair cut just isn't viable so thought I'd give these a try...

Firstly, you charge for as long as you need - up to a maximum of 60 mins (a full charge takes 60 mins, and the clipper runs for 60 mins. Fantastic work here Philips, I don't really intend to plan when to cut my hair - so knowing I can just pop it on charge for 30 mins and then cut is great! There's a little LED that glows white whilst charging, stays white when charged (and note, glows orange when batteries are low whilst in use)

I've just used the clipper for the first time, here's my first impression...

Very light, and very easy to select Grades (they're in mm on the comb) by rotating the head. Plastic comb feels sturdy and doesn't seem to flex. If you've never used a hair clipper before, I highly recommend using the highest grade all ver your head and then going down in increments - you can always cut more, but it can't be put back!

The 180 degree rotating blades is a great idea, *HOWEVER*, please please make sure you check the cutting size once turned or whenever you've turned the head as I did manage to a couple of times alter the cutting length (I did double check each time whilst moving the head so managed to save myself from the dreaded full clipper shave!)

As others have noted, this is a fantastic clipper for anyone who has a single length cut all over. However, I prefer to have something a little longer on top and shorter on the back and sides. I ended up using the 11mm over the top (just over Grade 3) and the 7mm on the back and sides (just over Grade 2). Not very difficult to blend in, I tend to hold my free hand in a straight line on the back of my head and clip up and lift the blades in a straight line - seemed to work alright! However, I can see that this would become very difficult say if you were doing a 0 on the back and sides and a 15mm on top - a 7 and a 11 isn't that noticeable of a difference!

Overall, fantastic clipper, nothing extra I wish it had (except maybe a case). Works perfectly, even on thick hair - just munches straight through! If you're thinking about buying.. DO IT! It'll save you so much money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan. 2014
Bought for my boyfriend who has been shaving his head with beard trimmers for the last 6 months which (surprisingly) had rubbish results and always lead to me having to finish the crown and back for him. Not any more! These are fantastic. Really easy to use and he can even do a neat job of the back of his head, behind the ears and the nape of his neck. Girlfriends/wives/mothers - buy these for your men. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pair of solo clippers, 25 July 2013
Katfishh (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first rotating head clipper I have tried, and for doing my own hair I cannot fault it. It is light, fits easily in the hand and is easy to use so you can get to the entire head comfortably.

It's as easy to use when doing another persons hair, as a 'standard' pair of clippers.
It charges very quickly - in just one hour, a lot better than a previous Phillips all in one clipper/trimmer set that took 12 hours to charge.

This clipper cuts well and the 60 main run time is more than enough for doing all your hair. I would definitely recommend this pair to someone looking for a pair of solo clippers.

it comes with 2 comb attachment heads. One is a 1mm to 3mm and the other a 3mm to 15mm attachment for longer hair.

Its a nice weight, is comfortable and it adjusts easily with a rotating disc to easily change the length.

Its a nice clippers. Looks good too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made little hair clipper that is easy to use on your own (mostly) - but the similar model it replaced may be on offer, 18 Sept. 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In comparison to all the other cheaper hair clippers I've used with myself and the kids over the past 20 years, this Philips QC5570 is a well thought out, innovative product and, if the instructions are read and followed, it works pretty well (although as usual with the modern Philips printed 'manual' included, the language free small textless diagram sequences can take a bit of deciphering to understand). As well as this help guide being available as a pdf download at the Philips website, there are also a short series of very useful hair clipper FAQ there that aren't included in the box. This OC5570s cutter width is 41 mm, and there's two comb options that give 13 length settings ranging from 0.5 to 15 mm, i.e. hair length trimming is adjustable in steps of 2 mm. Also included is the 13A UK plug mains charger (recharges in 1 hour for 1 hours use on battery) - and the clipper can run off the mains when charging. Plus there is a bottle of oil and a small cleaning brush (the unit's head can be washed under the tap as well, but I prefer dry brushing the unit clean). There's apparently a more expensive QC5580 version that adds in a 0mm grade zero trimmer head and a travel bag.

Provided I don't let my hair grow too long and unruly I found this type of hair clipper easy to use, previously my wife helped out with the clippers but now I can do it all on my own. I'm over 50 and I'm not too fussed about having a great hairstyle, although grey I have still got my head of hair and I just want to look neat. My hair cut on top is a grade 4 = half an inch or 12mm (where grade 3 = 3/8 of an inch or 9mm, and grade 2 = 1/4 of an inch or 6mm, and grade 1 = 1/8 of an inch or 3mm). Changing the hair cut length is easy, and to get to 0.5mm you just remove the comb (0.5mm min cut isn't very close for the back of the neck below the hair line though). You can get a layered effect with these clippers by reducing cut depth as you go down from the top, but nothing like as good as that from the barbers - but it looks OK though. I find the trimmer easy to hold when running on battery, and there's an LED to tell you to charge and to say it's charging/charged. The trimmer head rotates very easily by hand in use and clicks into position as it rotates. The clippers are also good for clipping other peoples hair, which largely means the men in our family. My sister happily borrows it for her husband, but doesn't use it all the time on my preteen nephews as she says it can make their hair grow too thick, and likewise my teenage son now prefers long hair and largely avoids both clippers and the barbers. Although it is a bit bulky for it, my brother-in-law also likes using these clippers on his new beard and says it does a good job trimming it - he says the clippers cut through hair well really well.

My only disappointment with this clipper is that although this model QC5570/13 may have a nice rubber-grip handle, it no longer includes the longer 18-30mm cutter (big comb) that came with the previous model it replaced, the Philips QC5530 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper with 180 Degree Rotating Head. And this newer QC5570 runs on older-technology NiMh batteries rather than the superior Lithium cells of the old QC5530, although both models have identical 1 hour recharge/use times. The old model QC5530 is also often reduced from £60 rrp (on the day either model could be the cheapest), so I would investigate the Philips QC5530 as well if you are interested in this hair clipper (neither models have a grade zero cut though). Philips do however claim this new OC5570 model is superior for do-it-yourself hair cutting. Overall I found this trimmer to be well made & designed, easy to handle and fairly easy to trim my own hair, so 5* for design and 4* for value at £60. The only other downsides are the price premium over standard clippers and the all important combs are quite flimsy (with no obvious way to replace them if they break, likewise for the battery if it fails). The clippers have a two year warranty though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Shaver That's Easy To Use, 24 Nov. 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I decided to buy this product in order to completely shave my hair off a few days before my wedding. I bought the product based on other customers feedback.

The product is made of good quality material that's fit for purpose. It's reasonably well build and consists mainly of a lightweight plastic material, grey and black in colour. It's slightly smaller than your average shaver and has a modern and stylish appearance.

It has a very good design with a solid grip and a flexible head that allows you to cut your hair at different angles whilst making it as easy as possible for you to use it with minimal effort.

Inside the box are the clippers, big comb, precision comb, charger, cleaning brush, oil and a 2 year guarantee. The instruction manual is well written and allows you to understand what the product can do and how to use it effectively.

I had never used hair clippers before but found it very easy to use and I did not experience any problems whilst using it. Attaching the first comb (Standard comb = 3-15mm) was straightforward using the 360 feature and I cut my hair with it using a hand mirror. It cut my hair very well indeed and it was all the same length. I then used the next comb (Precision comb = 1-3mm) and cut my hair with it much shorter. The cut was impressive and it had exceeded my expectations.

Although I was expecting some skin problems (redness, spots, irritation etc), I was very surprised to learn that there weren't any and I cleaned the shaver under the tap with no issues. All the other features worked as well as expected but it was the way that it was so easy to use and the quality of the cut that impressed me the most.

I paid £29.99 for it on 20/10/14 and I have used it twice so far. I believe that the product offers very good value for money and I don't regret buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well for a buzz cut, 25 Jan. 2014
C. Cresswell (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
easy to use, and safe to use. as a first time self-cutter this only took a few minutes to get used to and now i am saving £10 every 2 weeks doing it myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the ideal solution for me, but certainly an innovative gizmo, 3 Aug. 2013
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is no doubt that this is a very clever device, designed specifically to cater to the DIY hair cutter, a community with which I am happy to identify now that short hair, and therefore frequent trims, have become the order of the day. (Long at the side and practically non-existent on top is not a look I choose to go for!)

It can cut hair to anything from practically a shave to 15mm long. It does it in 2mm increments from 3mm to 15mm, 0.5mm increments from 1mm to 3mm, and you can take the clipper guard off altogether for the 0mm effect, although I haven't tried it that close, and don't intend to do so! It doesn't use conventional clipper heads - #1, #2 etc - there's a rotating bezel that does the adjusting, although there are two separate fittings, one for lengths of 1mm to 3mm, the other for longer ones. Moreover, the clipper head itself rotates through 180 degrees; more specifically, it rotates to 90 degrees either side of the "straight ahead" position, which does make it easier to hold than holding a conventional clipper, or to 45 degrees off centre, which I haven't actually tried out but which might suit some people. That having been said, I've managed with a conventional clipper, and one with an electric cable, moreover, and it didn't prove too difficult even when "DIY" clipping. This device is chargeable, so it is definitely easier on that count. It's also water washable, apparently, so you can clean it out easily, although you do have to re-oil it.

That having been said, it has a couple of limitations, at least as far as I am concerned. For a start, 15mm, the maximum length setting, is rather less than the #5 setting I would usually have used for the top of my head. Also, the one thing that it can't replicate is the side taper clipper head, so getting a good taper over your ears is a little tricky. I wonder whether the 180 degree rotation, combined with more conventional clipper heads, would not have been a more practical solution, albeit less innovative. I also wonder how long the hard, clear plastic fittings to change the cutting length will last - they look rather brittle.

The guidance contained in the box - a tiny 12 page booklet, relying on diagrams only - was completely inadequate. There is however a very much more comprehensive manual available on line, via the Philips website, although nothing specifically refers to this in the pack. I was also a little disappointed that there is no carry case, so you'll have to keep it in its cardboard box. It appears, however, that there is a "big brother" - the QC5580 - to this particular model which adds and electric shaver fitting to this one's repertoire, and does also have a carry case - or bag - of some sort.

This device will probably be most useful to someone who wants to keep their hair quite short - equivalent to #1 through #3 clipper heads, who wants to do so quite frequently, and who doesn't want to clip the hair above the ears any shorter than the rest. I will certainly use it, but I shall have to retain my more conventional clippers as well, I think, to trim top of skull and over the ears.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only last 6 months, 6 Oct. 2014
I bought these 4 months ago, and have used them approx 6 times, during seventh time of using, two of the fingers on the small plastic 'comb' snapped, rendering the item completely useless. I contacted Philips, only to be told that this part of the item is not covered by the guarantee, but also that they don't sell spares, but they did very sarcastically tell me where I could buy another one!! FOR ABOUT £15 ?? Thanks Philips.
I'm speaking to trading standards about the item being unfit for purpose & of very poor quality, and buying a Braun clipper instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Headgroom Plus., 5 Aug. 2013
J. Mcdonald "Yelochre" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Do it yourself balder" it says on the box; well, there isn't a zero setting, but otherwise this is a pretty good cutter overall.

The unit takes an hour to charge which will provide 1 hour cutting time; the cutting head can be rotated and fixed to provide a satisfactory angle within 180° and an inner rotating wheel allows adjustment of the comb height in relation to the cutting head between 2mm and 15mm at varying increments depending on which comb you use. There are two combs provided, one broad and one narrow. Aside from the charging cable, a cleaning brush and a small bottle of light machine oil, no other extras come with this unit (the QC5570). It appears that the other cutter in this series (QC5580) has a travel bag and a zero-trim setting.
The unit is light, washable, has a nicely rubberised grip and an easily located on/off button. The instruction book is the type that uses diagrams - thus fully exploiting the potential for confusion regardless of the user's language - but fortunately the operation of the unit is fairly easy to understand within a few minutes of experimentation.
The cutter does its job well; the blades are apparently self-sharpening and are very efficient; a little initial care in adjusting the desired length is of course advisable, but once the comb is locked there is no real danger of over-cutting and the comb heads are rounded so they will follow the contours of the scalp without digging or scratching.

This is a very decent unit; I was quite pleased with its performance and would be happy to recommend it to anyone for DIY haircutting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little hair trimmer, 28 July 2013
Mr. Simon Paddon "Simon" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I begin, I have to talk about the elephant in the room. This is billed as a tool for you to cut your own hair. Great idea, but I cant help but feel it is a bit daft; ultimately you need some one else there (or a weird combination of mirrors, levers and pulleys) to ensure that you have got everything, and you are not presenting a trendy Jedi tail. Unless like me you have a number 1 cut, thus meaning you have no hair line, there is just no way you will make your own hair line around your hair look nice.

Right, that said, the product. In actual fact, it is excellent. It fits in the hand nicely (be it your own hand, or someone else's who is doing it for you), is very light, and makes minimal noise. The instructions which come with it are in 'every country of the world graphics' which are confusing, but it takes all of 1 minute to suss it out. I love the fact it is battery powered (rechargeable- cable enclosed), as it makes it all a lot easier with no cable flapping around.

The cut is self is simple and clean. It cut my hair in record time (not that we do competitions or anything like that). It can cut different lengths, and the head is rotatable so you can get in the nooks and crannies (or the back of your head). There are 2 attachments which mean you can cut your hair from 1mm right up to hippy length.

So, in short, highly recommended. Just make sure you don't miss anything on the back of your head.