on 16 January 2014
Bought for my boyfriend who has been shaving his head with beard trimmers for the last 6 months which (surprisingly) had rubbish results and always lead to me having to finish the crown and back for him. Not any more! These are fantastic. Really easy to use and he can even do a neat job of the back of his head, behind the ears and the nape of his neck. Girlfriends/wives/mothers - buy these for your men. You won't be disappointed.
on 7 January 2014
This is my first ever hair clipper to be used for my first attempts at cutting my own hair...

The clipper comes with a 3-15mm comb that is in normal terms Grades 1 - 5. For someone like me who's used to having their hair cut at Grade 8 on top - this is quite a bit shorter! However, times are hard and spending £10 every 3 weeks in a hair cut just isn't viable so thought I'd give these a try...

Firstly, you charge for as long as you need - up to a maximum of 60 mins (a full charge takes 60 mins, and the clipper runs for 60 mins. Fantastic work here Philips, I don't really intend to plan when to cut my hair - so knowing I can just pop it on charge for 30 mins and then cut is great! There's a little LED that glows white whilst charging, stays white when charged (and note, glows orange when batteries are low whilst in use)

I've just used the clipper for the first time, here's my first impression...

Very light, and very easy to select Grades (they're in mm on the comb) by rotating the head. Plastic comb feels sturdy and doesn't seem to flex. If you've never used a hair clipper before, I highly recommend using the highest grade all ver your head and then going down in increments - you can always cut more, but it can't be put back!

The 180 degree rotating blades is a great idea, *HOWEVER*, please please make sure you check the cutting size once turned or whenever you've turned the head as I did manage to a couple of times alter the cutting length (I did double check each time whilst moving the head so managed to save myself from the dreaded full clipper shave!)

As others have noted, this is a fantastic clipper for anyone who has a single length cut all over. However, I prefer to have something a little longer on top and shorter on the back and sides. I ended up using the 11mm over the top (just over Grade 3) and the 7mm on the back and sides (just over Grade 2). Not very difficult to blend in, I tend to hold my free hand in a straight line on the back of my head and clip up and lift the blades in a straight line - seemed to work alright! However, I can see that this would become very difficult say if you were doing a 0 on the back and sides and a 15mm on top - a 7 and a 11 isn't that noticeable of a difference!

Overall, fantastic clipper, nothing extra I wish it had (except maybe a case). Works perfectly, even on thick hair - just munches straight through! If you're thinking about buying.. DO IT! It'll save you so much money!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I decided to buy this product in order to completely shave my hair off a few days before my wedding. I bought the product based on other customers feedback.

The product is made of good quality material that's fit for purpose. It's reasonably well build and consists mainly of a lightweight plastic material, grey and black in colour. It's slightly smaller than your average shaver and has a modern and stylish appearance.

It has a very good design with a solid grip and a flexible head that allows you to cut your hair at different angles whilst making it as easy as possible for you to use it with minimal effort.

Inside the box are the clippers, big comb, precision comb, charger, cleaning brush, oil and a 2 year guarantee. The instruction manual is well written and allows you to understand what the product can do and how to use it effectively.

I had never used hair clippers before but found it very easy to use and I did not experience any problems whilst using it. Attaching the first comb (Standard comb = 3-15mm) was straightforward using the 360 feature and I cut my hair with it using a hand mirror. It cut my hair very well indeed and it was all the same length. I then used the next comb (Precision comb = 1-3mm) and cut my hair with it much shorter. The cut was impressive and it had exceeded my expectations.

Although I was expecting some skin problems (redness, spots, irritation etc), I was very surprised to learn that there weren't any and I cleaned the shaver under the tap with no issues. All the other features worked as well as expected but it was the way that it was so easy to use and the quality of the cut that impressed me the most.

I paid £29.99 for it on 20/10/14 and I have used it twice so far. I believe that the product offers very good value for money and I don't regret buying it.
review image review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first rotating head clipper I have tried, and for doing my own hair I cannot fault it. It is light, fits easily in the hand and is easy to use so you can get to the entire head comfortably.

It's as easy to use when doing another persons hair, as a 'standard' pair of clippers.
It charges very quickly - in just one hour, a lot better than a previous Phillips all in one clipper/trimmer set that took 12 hours to charge.

This clipper cuts well and the 60 main run time is more than enough for doing all your hair. I would definitely recommend this pair to someone looking for a pair of solo clippers.

it comes with 2 comb attachment heads. One is a 1mm to 3mm and the other a 3mm to 15mm attachment for longer hair.

Its a nice weight, is comfortable and it adjusts easily with a rotating disc to easily change the length.

Its a nice clippers. Looks good too.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In comparison to all the other cheaper hair clippers I've used with myself and the kids over the past 20 years, this Philips QC5570 is a well thought out, innovative product and, if the instructions are read and followed, it works pretty well (although as usual with the modern Philips printed 'manual' included, the language free small textless diagram sequences can take a bit of deciphering to understand). As well as this help guide being available as a pdf download at the Philips website, there are also a short series of very useful hair clipper FAQ there that aren't included in the box. This OC5570s cutter width is 41 mm, and there's two comb options that give 13 length settings ranging from 0.5 to 15 mm, i.e. hair length trimming is adjustable in steps of 2 mm. Also included is the 13A UK plug mains charger (recharges in 1 hour for 1 hours use on battery) - and the clipper can run off the mains when charging. Plus there is a bottle of oil and a small cleaning brush (the unit's head can be washed under the tap as well, but I prefer dry brushing the unit clean). There's apparently a more expensive QC5580 version that adds in a 0mm grade zero trimmer head and a travel bag.

Provided I don't let my hair grow too long and unruly I found this type of hair clipper easy to use, previously my wife helped out with the clippers but now I can do it all on my own. I'm over 50 and I'm not too fussed about having a great hairstyle, although grey I have still got my head of hair and I just want to look neat. My hair cut on top is a grade 4 = half an inch or 12mm (where grade 3 = 3/8 of an inch or 9mm, and grade 2 = 1/4 of an inch or 6mm, and grade 1 = 1/8 of an inch or 3mm). Changing the hair cut length is easy, and to get to 0.5mm you just remove the comb (0.5mm min cut isn't very close for the back of the neck below the hair line though). You can get a layered effect with these clippers by reducing cut depth as you go down from the top, but nothing like as good as that from the barbers - but it looks OK though. I find the trimmer easy to hold when running on battery, and there's an LED to tell you to charge and to say it's charging/charged. The trimmer head rotates very easily by hand in use and clicks into position as it rotates. The clippers are also good for clipping other peoples hair, which largely means the men in our family. My sister happily borrows it for her husband, but doesn't use it all the time on my preteen nephews as she says it can make their hair grow too thick, and likewise my teenage son now prefers long hair and largely avoids both clippers and the barbers. Although it is a bit bulky for it, my brother-in-law also likes using these clippers on his new beard and says it does a good job trimming it - he says the clippers cut through hair well really well.

My only disappointment with this clipper is that although this model QC5570/13 may have a nice rubber-grip handle, it no longer includes the longer 18-30mm cutter (big comb) that came with the previous model it replaced, the Philips QC5530 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper with 180 Degree Rotating Head. And this newer QC5570 runs on older-technology NiMh batteries rather than the superior Lithium cells of the old QC5530, although both models have identical 1 hour recharge/use times. The old model QC5530 is also often reduced from £60 rrp (on the day either model could be the cheapest), so I would investigate the Philips QC5530 as well if you are interested in this hair clipper (neither models have a grade zero cut though). Philips do however claim this new OC5570 model is superior for do-it-yourself hair cutting. Overall I found this trimmer to be well made & designed, easy to handle and fairly easy to trim my own hair, so 5* for design and 4* for value at £60. The only other downsides are the price premium over standard clippers and the all important combs are quite flimsy (with no obvious way to replace them if they break, likewise for the battery if it fails). The clippers have a two year warranty though.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm very impressed by these clippers (though not at all impressed with the enclosed 'instructions')

Let me just get that gripe out of the way first. Like every other Philips product I've ever purchased, they provide instructions for their international users NOT by translating them into various languages, but by giving you a set of hieroglyphics to decipher. Some of them are clear enough, but even weeks after getting the product some of them still make no sense to me whatsoever. I wish someone would tell Philips that sometimes a picture is NOT worth a thousand words!!

Having said that, the clippers themselves are great!

The 'rotating head' sounded like a bit of a marketing gimmick, but in practice I've found that it's a great idea. It enables me to cut my own hair more quickly and easily than would have ever have been possible with a fixed-position head.

I can now transform from a scruffy-looking lout to a military-looking gent in a matter of minutes. There are a choice of heads and settings on the machine, so you can just have 'a bit of a trim' or go all the way down to a number-one shave. Then you can use the blades directly to trim the edges.

The super-short recharge time is a real bonus. I find I can shave my hair in well under 10 minutes, and charging the machine for 10-15 minutes easily provides enough of a charge for this.

Comfortable too. No yanking or plucking. Just an easy, smooth cut.

I'm really impressed. You can probably tell!

I have to come clean and admit that I was given these clippers free for review purposes, but they're already so indispensable that if they broke down or I lost them, I'd have no hesitation in buying another set right away.

I've had several clippers over the years, but these are easily the best yet. Definitely recommended!
on 10 March 2014
This would have been given a 5 star rating, had the plastic combs that you use to get differing hair lengths been made of a more substantial material. I have had my clippers for about two and a half years now, and have had to repair one of the plastic combs about 3 times. The one I use (two supplied for different hair lengths) has broken in 3 different places. I might add that I am the only user, and take care never to drop or miss handle the clippers. I think if you were to drop the clippers accidentally, the plastic guide would shatter, making them unusable. I have only seen spare plastic guides available on another selling site, and they were imported from Poland at an uneconomic cost. Approximately half the cost price of the complete trimmer set. A great set of clippers, badly let down by poor quality plastic guides.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years now - there's a point in many a man's life when you weigh up how much the price of going to the barbers compares to the decreasing time it takes for your receding hair to be cut, and decide to give it a go yourself. To date I've used traditional lateral clippers, so this was the first time I've tried one with a rotating head.

The main problem with 'normal' clippers is getting an even cut, and making sure that the back is okay. The rotary style of the Philips Easy Reach makes it easier to reach the back, and (mostly) brings to and end having to rotate your arm and wrist to strange angles to reach the back of your own head. The change from normal to reverse cutting is easy, and the attachments (two, each of variable lengths) are easy to fit, and stay on - a problem with some clippers is that they come off, which results with an enforced grade zero all over, as otherwise your head looks like a zebra.

The clippers can be used corded or cordless, are lightweight, and also quiet, which is a surprise. All in all I've been very impressed with these, and have consigned my old clippers to the 'reserve grooming gear' box. Recommended to all men who cut their own hair.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I needed a new pair of hair clippers and liked the fact that these had a head which could be moved to allow me to try to cut my own hair. I tried them out this weekend and my wife volunteered to do the cutting. We did hit a problem straightaway we were unable to judge the length of the cut. On most cutters you add on different size comb heads and I generally use a 3/4 inch cut comb. On this one there are markings on a fixture to the cutter itself. However, the markings are small. so we guessed the mark to use and with the first cut I got scalped. Well exaggeration but it was a very short cut,.

After moving the guide up a bit and retrying I would say that I was pleasantly pleased at the sharpness and ease of the cut. It was like a knife through butter, The clippers are well designed and fit nicely in ones hand and with the movable head you can try to cut your own hair.

After 10 minutes I had a cut a professional would have been proud of (ok ignoring the few inches where the cut was thin due to the earlier error, but luckily my hair grows very fast and five days down the line you need to look hard to see the error of my ways.

I like these and have now dumped my old clippers.
on 14 February 2014
Had this product just two years and already the combs have snapped twice. Fragile plastic joined by a thin strip. The first time Philips replaced but the second time I was passed on to their service department and asked to pay £23...for a couple of tiny plastic attachments. My replacement certainly won't be a Philips.