5.0 out of 5 stars As fresh as ever!!!
Published on 10 Nov 2009 by Gordon C. Tait

1.0 out of 5 stars 5* Film, but special edition?????
Whilst Poltergeist is probably one of my favourite films ever, I am rating this as a "Special Edition" DVD.

Published on 17 Oct 2007 by Wayne

5.0 out of 5 stars As fresh as ever!!!, 10 Nov 2009
Gordon C. Tait (OSNABRUCK, OSNABRUCK Germany) - See all my reviews
A couple of you guys enquired about the glaring jump cut at the scene where Diane Freeling is describing the sensation of being pulled to the scene at the neighbour's front door. Well this isn't a flaw in the disc. That is in fact a deliberate edit. I have both the original vhs and dvd and it appears there too. The vhs is from 1983 when it was released. I've often wondered why it was cut this way myself but in a strange kinda way it works. Hope this helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic, 23 Nov 2010
Bought this as not seen it for years, and it was every bit as
good as I remembered it, still made me jump in places ;o)

The little actress who plays Carol-Anne is fantastic for someone
so young, if you did'nt see it 1st time round or not old enough
to know it you should definately watch it, I'm sure you wont be
disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This house is not clean, 14 July 2011
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Apart from the special effects disaster that is "the mirror scene," Poltergeist delivers one of the most effective, engrossing, and eerie presentations in movie history. Who can ever get the ill-fated Heather O'Rourke's "They're here" line or the fantastic performance of the diminutive Zelda Rubenstein as the psychic house "cleaner" Tangina? JoBeth Williams, for her part, turns in a fantastic performance, cementing her position as the emotional center of the story. Heck, everyone involved did a great job with this movie, including the dog. I'm often critical of Tobe Hooper's directing, but there is no doubt that Poltergeist represents his finest directorial work (although rumor has it that producer/co-writer Steven Spielberg did more than his share of the directing job).

I'm not sure why they called this film Poltergeist because the goings-on in the Freeling house go way, way beyond typical poltergeist activity. Things start out small (chair stacking, objects moving on their own, utensils bending on their own), but it doesn't take long for things to get completely out of hand. Initially, though, the stage is set with the typical fears most all of us experienced as children - fear of the dark, the closet, something under the bed, thunder storms, stuffed toys that suddenly become creepy when the lights are out. Fortunately for most of us, those fears are just childish fancies. The same cannot be said for the Freeling children. Unable to go to the police with their story (yes, officer, we think our lost daughter is somewhere in the house and we can still communicate with her through the television from time to time), the Freelings call upon local paranormal researchers for help. Needless to say, this blows the socks off of every other case they've investigated, leaving them no choice but to call in reinforcements in the form of a short but formidable medium (Rubenstein). Then, just when you think things are under control, the movie ratchets things up to new heights of action and suspense.

Poltergeist definitely has the potential to frighten some viewers, with scare tactics ranging from the small and subtle to the unbelievably grandiose - and even the most over-the-top occurrences work in the context of the presentation. No stranger to large special effects budgets, Spielberg made sure that all of the visual effects were believable (including the use of real human skeletons in one scene) and added to the suspense of the story (except that mirror scene, which really does feature some of the worst special effects I've ever seen in my life). Not having seen this movie in many, many years, I had forgotten just how impressive it was. It features some of the best interaction of actors with special effects that I've ever seen, making it easy to keep suspending your disbelief in the face of the most incredible of circumstances. You even get a sense of resolution at the end, which is something you rarely find in horror movies today. Poltergeist is, without doubt, a classic in every sense of the word.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the Poltergeist curse (a result, some say, of using real skeletons in the movie), which adds yet another layer to the atmosphere of the film. As most people know, Heather O'Rourke died tragically at the age of 12, but it's easy to forget that her co-star Dominique Dunne (daughter of novelist Dominick Dunne) was murdered by her ex-boyfriend within months of the film's release. Of course, the curse doesn't seem to have affected Craig T. Nelson, who went on to have a long and successful acting career. You can't help but feel sad, though, watching cute and talented little Heather O'Rourke, knowing that she died so young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding..., 1 Oct 2011
Christian Krabbe "Zero2ninE" (Thisted, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Audio:
I'm not so much a "sound-guy", with a monster amp and large 21:1 booming speakers, so you'll have to go elsewhere if you want to know more about that.

Picture:
As a long-time fan of the movie (and only owning the movie on a region 1 DVD) I had no reservations purchasing this, regardless of the quality. I expected it to be better than the DVD, but I lost my heart, when I saw the picture quality. I was so happy to see, how much care had been taken to present this oldie. This is, BY FAR, my most revered blu ray movie. The movie's effects may have dated, but it was like watching this classic anew... PHENOMENAL picture quality! I can only recommend you buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars 5* Film, but special edition?????, 17 Oct 2007

I looked forward to this, and what do we get for a 25th Anniversary edition. A documentary. Thats it. No extras about the film. No commentary. No cast interviews. No trailers, nothing. 25 years they've had to come up with this DVD. And all we get is a documentary about Poltergeists. There's one of these shown every day on Sky!

I think they are pushing it a bit far to call this a special edition.

If you want it for the film alone, then I cannot name a better thriller/horror than this. Fantasic film. 5 out of 5. But this package. A total and utter letdown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tobe Hooper's Best Work, 20 Aug 2008
Poltergeist is a fantastic film, I didn't know anyone who disliked this film so I thought I would buy it and I must say that everyone was right, this film is amazing.

The film focuses on the Freeling family, who's youngest daughter Carol Anne (Heather O'Rourke) is transported through a spectral void by a angry poltergeist. The family calls 3 supernatural investigators to see if they can pinpoint where Carol Anne is. When the investigators come up with nothing, things take a really eeire turn.

Poltergeist has great special effects for an early 80's film and they look surprisingly realistic and several moments made me jump out of my skin, that clown scared the hell out of me!

This is a 25th anniversary edition so I was expecting some extras about the film but there is only a 2 part documentary but this didn't bother me as I get DVD's for the film only but if you like lots of extras, then you may want to get a different version but the film is fantastic and when a film is this good, extras don't matter.

If you're looking for a film that has an eerie feel to it and keeps you guessing whats going to happen, get Poltergeist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than new!, 4 Jan 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
More of a review of the BD rather than the film sorry.

There are a few dud BD updates around that just aren't worth upgrading from the DVD to. Poltergeist isn't one of them. Excellent picture quality and a TrueHD soundtrack. No real extras to write about really but at this age there's no surprises.

Those that have The Shining - this is, at least, on par with that.

I have the 25th Anniversary DVD too and if you do I will say don't hesitate to buy this as an upgrade. Enjoy!

Audio: English TrueHD; Castilian & Latin Spanish 2.0; French 2.0; German 2.0; Italian 1.0

Subs: English; Brazilian Portuguese; Castilian & Latin Spanish; Complex Chinese; Danish; Dutch; Finnish; French; German; Italian; Korean; Norwegian; Swedish

3.0 out of 5 stars We know it as the beast., 23 Mar 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Freeling family are happy and functioning perfectly well until one night their youngest daughter announces that thru the TV, the supernatural are here!

Poltergeist divides the horror crowd big time, the gore fans are simply not impressed by the events in the film, while ghostly supernatural fans such as myself see it as a wasted opportunity. But strip away the flashy production and you start to see the core joke of kids infatuation with the goggle box, so yes, the film could easily be titled under the banner of being a Black Comedy. But be that as it may, and lets not be under any illusions here that, Poltergeist is not a knowing wink wink horror film of substance, the film really could have been a truly terrifying piece of work to cater for all tastes, and I firmly believe that that was the main intention of the makers from the off.

Thus lies the chief problems with Poltergeist, it tries so hard to cover all bases it gets that confused to the point it veers from tedium to shock and back again before you have time to digest, and it kills what should have been a genre masterpiece. There are moments in the film that chill the blood, the sense of creeping menace hangs heavy during a storm, a toy clown becomes evil personified just by being lit in the stormy light, and then? Well it violently switches to something involving a tree that wouldn't be fit for Creepshow 27! On the film goes, suspense with chairs and pieces of meat, and then BAM...monster time! It just doesn't work, it's a collage of genre splicing that both director Tobe Hooper & producer Steven Spielberg are firmly to be held responsible for, because it's obvious that both their signature's clash to create an uneasy bedfellow.

Yet as uneven as it is, and as blatantly plagiarised as it is of Twilight Zone episode Little Girl Lost, I still find myself enjoying watching Poltergeist, with its slick production and some memorable moments; the clown, poor darling Heather O'Rourke saying "they're here", the first chair sequence, and the always creepy Mrs. Tuthill, all things that help to make it a frustratingly enjoyable nights viewing. 6/10

Just don't go into the light afterwards I guess...

4.0 out of 5 stars A good spook em up, 1 Mar 2012
This was one of the first blu rays I got.And im still impressed with its picture & sound.A good transfer from warner.Makes you wonder though sometimes why they have not put so much effort in other blu rays.(Not just warner)However this is a good film with good visuals for the time it was made.Not really scary but a bit errie at times.Worth picking up

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this anymore, 12 Jan 2012
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Poltergeist is a class act and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting it on Bluray - I've watched it many times since picking it up; it just has 'something' that makes it really special.

The story is simple, a suburban family are suffering all kinds of other world-ly goings-on in their home and after the abduction of their daughter into the spirit realm they call in professionals to help get their daughter back.

I think one of the things I love so much about Poltergeist is how it's a perfect product of its time. Take for instance the spirits initially making contact through a TV tuned to static after the main broadcasts have finished. When do we ever see static on TV's these days and when for that matter do most channels stop broadcasting? I like the fact that one of the major plot points (the fact that the parents seek help from parapsychologists rather than the police despite the fact their daughter is missing) is so utterly unbelievable in today's society. You'd probably get jailed just for thinking of doing something like that these days! A new generation watching this film may pick it apart on 'faults' like that but I think these plot points add such a charm to the movie and anchor it back to a time long since gone.

At its heart Poltergeist is a movie about family and the performances were really strong by all the cast making the bonds between them feel believable. Also, the film doesn't rush to scare to pants of you, it lets things develop more slowly but the pacing is spot on, the story builds around the family. I think this family aspect is the film's secret sauce, you do care about the family and it's very relatable - apart from all the ghostly abductions of course! For a 'ghost' or 'horror' movie there's no big reveal with a monster or main antagonist (unless you count Steve's real estate boss as the monster), it's just the family vs a really bad situation and this is what draws you in (well me anyway). A lot has been said over the years about who really directed this film - Tobe Hooper gets directorial credit but much has been said about Steve Spielberg's intervention. I've got to say this movie does 'feel' like a Spielberg film, the focus on the family being a giveaway and the close portrayal of the family members but he did produce the film and write the story too!

I think the acting throughout was superb, every character is perfectly weighted from the mum and dad team of Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams to Tangina and Dr Lesh (played so compassionately by Beatrice Straight) and her assistants Marty and Ryan. I have to say, JoBeth Williams plays one of the great unsung heroines of cinema in this film - Diane Freeling is put through the wringer but she steps up without a second thought to do what's necessary to protect her family - it's a great performance.

Some of the special effects are kind of dated but again (the face scene in the bathroom for example), it just adds to the charm. Back in the day the sfx would have been cutting edge and importantly they mostly work really well to support the story. I think my favourite sequences is where Diane is running towards the kids room but can't get closer to the door; the scene is realised with nightmarish realism here and required nothing other than a simple camera trick.

I could go on all day...there's a lot to like, including the music which perfectly blends the kind of child-like innocence of Carol Anne with scarier parts of the film.

The final act, where the spirits really get mad perhaps pushes a little to far to give the audience an identifiable monster or villain of sorts with the organic looking tunnel that takes over the closet being a rare mis-step but thankfully the strength of everything else carries the movie.

A lot of people have bemoaned the lack of special features and that's correct there's just a lame 'documentary' about poltergeists and nothing featuring cast or crew - pointless. However, the film presentation is good - for a 30 year old picture there's lots of detail on the bluray and the sound is good too.

Much of this film has passed into the public consciousness from the tagline 'they're here' to the creepy clown, Tangina's immortal line 'this house is clean' and the idea of leaving burial grounds exactly as they are! A lot of rumours about a curse have circulated over the years due to Heather O'Rourke's untimely death (of a stomach ailment - not being pushed into the path of an approaching vehicle by an unseen force as I heard when I was a kid) and the death of Dominique Dunne at the hands of her abusive boyfriend. Dominique's brother, Griffin Dunne, played Jack in An American Werewolf in London - another classic 80's horror. But I digress :)

If you haven't seen it it's a truly great watch. It's less than a tenner what are you waiting for!

Poltergeist [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [1982] [Region Free]