5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, exciting and enlightening!
I don't think I've ever read such a massive book so fast but I really couldn't put this one down. I'm a big fan of Graham's non-fiction work and I didn't know what to expect about this one but it certainly exceeded expectations!

Published 14 months ago by Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite gripping, but a little repetitive.
I had read a number of Hancock's "non-fiction", conjecture based books in the past and often found them entertaining, if sometimes a little far-fetched in their conclusions. I was therefore keen to see how he would tackle a fictional tale, albeit one restricted by known historical fact.

This is a two-day book; you won't get through it in one sitting, but I...
Published 10 months ago by Glasgow Dreamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, exciting and enlightening!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)

The characters are all very well developed and you get caught up in all of their stories, though I think Tozi is probably the real hero of the book. It also taught me a lot about the events surrounding the Spanish conquest of Mexico, which I didn't know much about before. War God has inspired me to research this fascinating period of history.

Well done Mr. Hancock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Novel I read in a long time, 31 May 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
I was stunned by this book in many ways.

The author described the scenes so vividly that I sometimes felt like I was present.

The fact that it's a novel based on real historical events made it even more thrilling. I learned something about Cortez and his companions :)

The psychedelic aspect of War God, to me, was the topping of the whole package. It gave the book a mystical dimension that I loved.

It simply was one of the best books I have read in many years. I will definately recommend it to my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the history fanatic, and an unrelenting page turner for the rest of us., 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
I have been following Hancock's work since he wrote Fingerprints of the Gods. For me, Fingerprints was akin to taking the "Red Pill", a la Matrix. It woke me up. Ever since, I have been following his research through books like Talisman, Sign and the Seal, and Supernatural. So, like many I suppose, I was slightly disappointed at first to learn that Mr. Hancock had ventured into fiction. Yet, given my interest in the Mayan and Aztec civilizations I gave it a shot and ordered War God. Boy, was I ever wrong. In short, I finished the book within 48 hours - a rarity for me. And, here I am, writing a review - another rarity.

War God is an epic piece of literature. The manner in which Hancock infuses fiction with fact is delicious. In my humble opinion, this is how some history books should be written. The magic that Hancock creates is in how he seamlessly manages to bring the reader into the very midst of the action in a way that the dry history book accounts of similar events are incapable of doing. I gained a deeper appreciation for Cortes' strategy to reach Mexico, the overwhelming odds that his team faced against the power and might of Moctezuma, and the politics between the various indigenous tribes. The fictional element of viewing history through the eyes of Tozi, the young teenage witch, Malinal, the courtesan, Pepillo, the young spanish orphan, Father Munoz, the Friar, Shikotenka, the warrior, and Alvarado, the talented swordsman - brings it all so incredibly alive. Hancock's detailed descriptions, imagery and conveyance of such varied emotions made me feel like I was an "observing" character in his book. This has the makings of a fantastic film.

This is more than a worthwhile read - it is a must. Kudos to you, Mr. Hancock. I want more!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic fantasy backed by historical knowledge and creative insights, 2 Jun 2013
Kiarash Kiavand (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
I found this book hard to put down, the authors creativity and historical knowledge gives an interesting insight into Cortés and his conquest of Mexico which is undoubtedly a very important moment in world/human history. The style of short chapters I found handy being able to read in short bursts, it helped entice me to always find time to read one more chapter. 5\5, well worth pre-ordering and the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read in long time, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
My son lent me a copy of Graham Hancocks new book WAR GOD (Nights of the Witch) and as a prolific reader who enjoys fiction novels of ancient History from authers such as Simon Scarrow, Conn Igguldon, Anthony Riches, Douglas Jackson, Ben Kane, Harry Sidebottom and many more, I must rate this historic novel as one of the best I have read in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel about the ancient Aztecs as you can visualise the characters and how cruel and bloodthirsty the Aztecs were and also the bloodshed and carnage the Spanish inflicted on the population. I found the novel captivating and very hard to put down when i was reading it and am very much looking forward to the next novel in the series (Return of the plumed serpent).
Yours Sincerely and Fraternally
Peter C Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., 31 July 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
I have read, and re-read all of Graham Hancock's books. I listen to his podcasts regularly. his discussions with Joe Rogan are particularly enlightening. I rank Graham Hancock amongst my favourite authors, alongside Wilbur Smith and Ken Follett. His writings are inspirational and challenge me to question mainstream, conventional views. This book is utterly amazing, read from cover to cover in a day (the only other book to have kept my interest to do this was The Eagle Has Landed back in the 70's).

Mr Hancock is a serious researcher and eloquent storyteller. This is the best 'factional' book I have read in a long time. Let's hope the mainstream, 'don't disturb my eating trough' historians learn to respect those with alternative views and theories. Well done Graham...

5.0 out of 5 stars 1519 & the clash of civilizations, 10 July 2013
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
1519 and the Aztec Empire is at its zenith, their Empire is perhaps the most powerful in Americas, there `age' is dominated by human sacrifices. Although human sacrifice is practised throughout Mesoamerica, the Aztecs for their part took to this bloodthirsty practice to new levels of religious zeal. The architecture of the Aztec Empire is truly impressive, as can be seen by the Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan. For the Aztecs their decadence saw no bounds, as they seemed to have conquered all in their wake.
When the Spanish appear on the scene, almost by magic, they appear in their fleet of strange looking sea faring vessels and land on the coast and begin their headlong journey into the Aztec hinterland. You get a feel for the way in which these, Europeans who are almost alien peoples to the Aztecs, sweep away all that oppose them. Cortés and the rest of his Spanish invaders wield carnage and inflect defeat after defeat on the Aztecs, as they destroy in a few months an Empire that had been around for nearly one hundred years. For me, Mr Hancock artfully recreates the biggest clash of civilizations, revealing aspects that only a scholar in the field would have the knowledge to put together, couple this with his skill as a great story teller. Then throw into the mix the `characters on the ground', minor players in the history of the time. However, in this weighty novel - they are main stay of the book- Tozi, Pepillo and the slave Malinal; these characters are the main ingredient in this historical fiction. They are brilliantly constructed characterizations and they bring this book to life, as they are caught in the events of the time and place.

This has been my first reading, and certainly will not my last, of a book written by Graham Hancock, War God is real sizzler of summer read. I am somewhat impatient to read his next novel and hope it is out soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 30 May 2013
This review is from: War God (Hardcover)
i loved this book. i literally couldnt put it down. i love grahams work. entangled was awesome and so is war god

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite gripping, but a little repetitive., 19 Sep 2013
Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is a two-day book; you won't get through it in one sitting, but I would advise against taking too long to read it. It is full of unfamiliar place names, character names, and other terminology, so I would imagine it would be quite easy to lose track of the story if you were continually putting it down and picking it back up later.

The story is well told, but it's a pretty generic tale of primitive Mexican tribes and their Spanish conquerors. A great deal of the first half of the book will be familiar to anyone who has seen Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" movie, dealing in some considerable detail as it does with matters such as tribal skirmishes, primitive superstition, and ritual human sacrifice. The book continues on from the endpoint of the film with the beginning of Cortes' incursions into what is now Mexico, and this second half of the book is equally violent and bloody.

If I have a criticism of the book, it is that too many unfamiliar words are used, their meanings never properly explained. There must have been a dozen different types of Spanish knives/daggers/swords, but it was impossible sometimes to be precisely aware what was being written about at any particular time. Similarly, Hancock refers casually to several types of vegetation without illustrating his point properly. Was this a shrub, a species of grass, a tree? Usually an approximate idea could be gleaned from the context but occasionally something would make it clear that your idea could not have been correct.

I addition, I can confidently state that Hancock's favourite word is "obsidian". Almost everything in this tale is made of obsidian (tools, plates, armour, weapons, etc.), or has obsidian blades, or is the colour of obsidian (usually black, according to my dictionary - thank you for such lack of clarity). This becomes quite wearing and really shows a lack of imagination. Obviously I haven't counted, but the word must crop up well over a hundred times throughout the book. Someone get Mr Hancock a thesaurus before he releases the follow-up!

Overall, it's quite an enjoyable read, but the writing is repetitive. I don't suppose there are too many ways to describe chopping off a bloke's legs in battle, but I would appreciate if Mr Hancock could find some more ways of doing so for part two, which I understand is currently in progress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining blend of historical fiction and speculative fantasy, 24 Aug 2013
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've read a few of Graham Hancock's non-fiction books before (particularly enjoying the utterly compelling "Underworld") and so was curious to see how he effective he would be as a novel writer.

Well I'm happy to report that he's made a pretty good job of this! For a start, picking such a fascinating period of history as the Spanish invasion of America gave him something of a head start. Next, he's included genuine historical characters and brought them to life with skill enough to make me want to do a little research into their lives and exploits. To this already potent mix, Hancock adds some fascinating supernatural elements, with both the Indians and the Spaniards seeing visions from their respective religions. Delightfully, Hancock doesn't get preachy or political. There are good and bad on both sides (although the boo-hiss villains are clearly marked out early on). Above all, this is a rattling good read. Extremely gruesome at times. Amusing at others. It's full of courage, camaraderie and high adventure. In terms of look and feel, War God reminded me on several occasions of the historical fiction of Wilbur Smith.

Only criticism is that the book loses pace on a few occasions, but stick with it and you will be rewarded with a spectacular and epic battle sequence and the clever tying up of a few loose ends (but with several still left undone to tempt you into reading the sequel - which I will certainly do).

War God