5.0 out of 5 stars The first real insight into autistic young people
This book is just brilliant. I have two teenage children both with very complex autism, a daughter and a son. Over the years I have attempted to read some books - whether by 'experts' or other parents - on autism. The 'experts' books I have found not helpful as autism affects each person so uniquely and what the 'experts' say is often cold and difficult to personalise...
Published 12 months ago by poppyfairy

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Gives SOME insight into the workings of THIS autistic person's mind. But isn't anything new to help a parent dealing with an autistic child.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Geoffrey Meadowcroft

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 457 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A bridge over the gulf, 6 July 2013
The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of AutismHardback edition

Many families live with the challenge of autism. Many professionals care for and nurture people with autism. Between those two dedicated groups lies the mysterious and impenetrable world of the autistic person. This book bridges that gulf in simple, direct and touchingly beautiful style. Thirteen year old Naoki Hagashida describes his world as only an insider can do. David Mitchell's introduction to the book creates the most perfect setting for this lovely narrative, written by a special person, about special people. It should be read by all who seek an insight into this fascinating place.

2.0 out of 5 stars High hopes were dashed, 5 Aug 2013
Sharon Jenkins "oddlyuk" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews for this book I was really hoping for some golden nuggets of insight into what might be going on in my own son's head. I do appreciate this is written by a 13 year old with profound difficulties but it left me wondering what I'd missed to have earned it all the wonderful reviews. My 17yr old is at the severe end of the spectrum with challenging behaviour and I'd already worked out that some of his outbursts have no rhyme or reason, he simply can't help it. Also, for the spinning, jumping, lining up etc. it's always been very clear (to me anyway) that these activities are needed to maintain a sense of balance in the individual who hasn't otherwise been able to engage in "typical" behaviours. So, I would only tend to recommend this book to families of newly diagnosed children or to those who haven't had much contact with people on the spectrum. I would also like to echo a previous reviewer who said that if you've met one person with autism then you've met one person with autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason I jump, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Reason I Jump: one boy's voice from the silence of autism (Kindle Edition)
This book is a must read, for any parent, sibling, grandparent, carer, teacher or friend to someone who has autism. This book grabbed my heart and made it burst with love. To be loving and understanding to our children

3.0 out of 5 stars He should only speak for himself, 29 Aug 2013
I so desperately wanted to love this book. In many ways it is amazing, and some of it I really enjoyed, but this is HIS story and only his story. He words things like he speaks for all autistic people, and that is simply wrong.
If people want to read this to get an insight, then that is fine, but if they want to use that insight to help them with their own autistic children, then please don't. One of the things he claims that autistic people don't like is visual timetables. They brought calmness and reassurance to my children. I would hate to see parents discard their use, based on one child's words.
It's a shame, because it spoiled, what should have been, a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know someone with Autism you need to read this., 31 July 2013
I live with a person with High functioning Autism (Asperger's) and having heard extracts from this on Radio 4 we decided that we needed to read the whole book. Every member of our family has now read and digested the contents. This is a fantastic book.

Every individuals experience of Autism is different. you can not read this and think "Now I know what it is like to be Autistic".

What you can do is read this book and then use this as a starting point for a discussion. I have learnt so much about my own family since reading this. While experiences may be directly opposite, eg. Naoki does not like being touched, my son likes to cuddle; the book gives a structure and a vocabulary to discuss Autism and how it is experienced.

If you have autism in your life read this, if you know someone who is in an autistic family give them a copy of this book, if you know someone who works with autistic children hold them down and make them read this. Perhaps it could help to raise the expectations for all autistic children and so improve their chances in education and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read., 4 July 2013
I recommend this book to everyone who lives or works, or may end up working with children who have autism. It really makes you think and gives some insight into reasons as to why people with autism do what they do and feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but just not sure, 12 Aug 2013
I pre-ordered this book after hearing about it on Radio 4 and because my partner's son has autism. I was very touched by David Mitchell's forward and on the whole found the book interesting. It has raised a lot of discussion at home as the way it is translated suggests that Naoki tries to speak for all autistic people rather than just his own life, but so many of the things he said didn't seem to relate to our own experiences. So although a brilliant account from one person, I'd be interested to know if experts researching autism think it's a real insight and step forward. Well worth a read though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight, 10 July 2013
I work with a lot of people of autism and this book opened the door to their world for me. I wish it was longer!! Worth a read for anyone with an interest in the field or for those who just want some inspiration 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and informative, 30 July 2013
I was interested in this book as I wish to understand how a person with autism feels the world and how I can be a better friend to that person. This book is so touching and helpful, I really found it enlightening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014