5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story..
Published 15 months ago by jaffareadstoo

2.0 out of 5 stars Pale copy of 'Call the Midwife'
This was a disappointment as it was almost a carbon copy of 'Call the Midwife' and so I knew where the story was heading.
Published 14 months ago by Babsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story.., 23 May 2013
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Paperback)
It's 1945, and the Second World War is over, but for 25 year old Millie Sullivan, her life as a qualified nurse and midwife in the East End of London is as busy as ever. Together with her nurse colleagues at Munroe House Nurse's Home, Millie witnesses her share of tragedy and yet her determined spirit sees her though the harsh reality of living through some tough circumstances. The indomitable spirit of the people who inhabit the overcrowded streets and the bomb damaged buildings of the East End, come gloriously alive in this wonderful historical saga.

This is the first of Jean Fullerton's books I have read, but I am impressed with the way she controls the narrative and allows the characters to develop, so that by the end of the book you really care about what happens to them. Millie in particular is a feisty heroine who encapsulates the spirit of the time in her no nonsense approach and down to earth way of dealing with whatever life throws at her. By using her undoubted skill as qualified nurse, the author has used her medical knowledge to good effect, and has written a story which pulls you in from the very beginning. The individual stories really tug at your heart strings, and yet beyond the heartbreak and tragedy, there is always hope for a better future.

Overall, this is a really lovely story, which will appeal to anyone who enjoys post-war social history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable - a blast from the past, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this novel. We see the post war London through the sympathetic eyes of Queen's Nurse, Millie - the squalor and disease that was part of everyday life for the slum dwellers. It is clear that the author has done her research, but uses a light hand to skillfully weave historical fact/social history and a great story together in such a way that the reader is engaged and entertained. I read Call Nurse Millie quickly because I wanted to know what happened to Millie's fiancé, the other nurses, her mother and all of the well rounded secondary characters who walk across the pages of this novel. I don't want to write a spoiler so I'll just say there is romance, tragedy, humour and, ultimately, a happy conclusion for most of the characters.
I hope there will be a sequel and that Nurse Millie will be knocking on our doors, very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
I tried really hard not to finish this book because I was enjoying it so much!! What a lovely story, I laughed, cried and now am bereft it's finished, I hope the author does a follow up as I feel there is so much more to tell!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Paperback)
What an engaging tale, I loved this book! I found it compulsive reading and was unable to put it down. Jean Fullerton has written a tale of post war London, where her heroine Nurse Millie works in her local community. It is clear that Jean has done her research, as the story has a wonderfully authentic feel, bringing alive the sounds and smells of time and place, with beautiful drawn characters that I cared about and moving story lines that kept me hooked. I am looking forward to more Nurse Millie books to lose myself in.

5.0 out of 5 stars call nurse millie, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
excellent story ddnt want to put it down and have already got book 2 cant wait to read 3 a good read for all romantics who enjoy nurseing story

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
Emotional and gripping story. One of the best nursing war stories I have read. I cannot wait to read the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Paperback)
Another great read from Jean Fullerton. Her attention to detail of the period she is writing about is fantastic. I will certainly be looking for more of her books to read in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
This is a good bedtime read, not complicated and it makes one want to read the next chapter! I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect period details, dramatic twists & turns - I cried!, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't seen *that TV show* and I did think this would be a bit predictable and sweet. I also don't tend to read stories which aren't contemporary. How wrong was I? I LOVED THIS STORY, FROM THE FIRST PAGE TO THE LAST. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.
It didn't turn out how I'd thought. There were some very sad moments in the story, and I cried about three times while reading it. It deals with some very harsh subjects too, very well.
The period details about nursing, and the NHS starting were very interesting, and didn't jar with the story. They were just slipped in without me hardly noticing. They gave it a really authentic feel and I never felt anywhere else but the East End of London, in that time period. My mum wasn't even born when this story is set and I'm in my thirties, but it didn't stop me finding the time period very interesting. It's shocking how differently we are as a society now from then, and this book really showed that, in positive and negative ways.
The characters were a joy to read - Milly was a likeable character, but not too perfect. She had her faults, and made mistakes, like real people do. Her heard was always in the right place.
Her friends were great fun, and I loved reading about the dances they went on together. The details like their hairstyles, and the music added in elements which made me always feel in that time and place, every time I opened the book.
Some of the patients were so interesting, I wanted to hear more about them each time.
The woman in charge of the nurses home was great, I loved her and Millie's run ins each time. It was like a good soap opera, and I laughed a lot.
I was sad when it ended, and look forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
If I'm honest I thought this book would be just like 'Call the Midwife' but I've read other books by the same author and so trusted her instinct for storytelling. To start with my imagination conjured up the nurse in Call the Midwife but that only lasted a page I got to know and love Millie. Oh my! She was nursing in some tough conditions and having to care for her family.

I genuinely couldn't put the book down. My husband would find me tucked away in some corner of the house reading when I really should have been doing other things.

The brilliant thing about the story is that it wasn't predictable. It didn't turn out how I expected - right down to the last page. The writing evoked emotion (I won't say any more!) and I desperately want to find out what happens next in Millie's life.

Call Nurse Millie