on 18 September 2013
I have spent most of my career as an Architect in practice and now lecture in Construction Technology. While this book is well written with good, clear illustrations, it has only been updated in a piecemeal fashion, so unless you know your construction (in which case you don't need a book at this level) a new student of construction management, architecture etc will not be able to distinguish what is up to date and what is not. If you follow the index link to lintels, for example, you will see a whole bunch of lintels which were fine in the 1970s, but would not have been legal to use in UK construction for the last 20 years; another example - the section on site surveys was described by a colleague as "antique". The book is riddled with this sort of thing; it is dangerous and should not be in circulation. I have taken these matters up with the publishers without success.
on 22 February 2014
If you're looking to start out in building regs, or anything architecture related this is your bible. It covers all the basics to do with building construction and as an architect moving from design into producing construction drawings it is a great start.
on 24 August 2014
Really surprised at this book. Firstly the thickness of it, I was expecting 370 odd pages but this is over 800!

It's really informative and when I qualified as a domestic plumber I wish I had this book to hand, it's more detailed than my actual dedicated plumbing books.

A really good purchase and will hopefully aid me through my training as a Civil Engineer this September.!
on 13 February 2014
I chose this book as I teach construction skills and needed a terminology resource for my learners and this is exactly what I need. With excellent line drawing I can show them why a purlin is called a purlin and where why and how it is used .
on 24 June 2013
As an ex-teacher and chief examiner of technical and building drawing I love the hand drawings and stencil-font style. This 9th edition has still got the look and feel of a 1950's hand written technical book but with the latest up-to-date information.
on 11 November 2013
I have owned copies of this book since they were first published . It is well written with very good illustrations , only bettered by the builders details sheets which are no longer in print . I use the book as a quick reference and to show clients , Architects , Tradesmen etc before works commence. The great thing about the books is that they have not thrown out the baby with the bath water. So when working on refurbishment work you can get a really good idea of what you are likely to find. My only complaint is that there is not a hard backed copy .
A must on any builders book shelf
on 20 July 2013
A great handbook for all things structural. Lots of detailed descriptions of how construction should be done to avoid (expensive) problems in the future. Non-glossy and packed with information. Just what you need if you are working with a builder or building yourself. Helped out with my garage loft conversions no end and has also inspired another house alteration idea. Not found anything quite like it for reference and starting points for enquiries.
on 10 August 2013
The book is written more like a student book then a handbook. I would expect more examples from practice which could be useful for professionals.
on 28 October 2013
If you are looking for a book to cover all the basic construction details then this is the one to get
on 13 October 2013
I chose this rating as this is the book I required, it has all the information which I require for my college course. I would recommend it to my fellow students.