5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the negative reviews
I rarely review things, but after reading the negative reviews, I felt obliged in this case. People are complaining its similar to Assassins Creed 3. Tell me, what did you expect?
Now let me be clear, this is no GTA 5. But that's because its not meant to be! This game is designed with a completely different aim. But enough of that, let me get into it...
Published 17 months ago by CardiacGamer

1.0 out of 5 stars NTSC version sent instead????
Why they sent me a foreign NTSC version instead of the PAL version is beyond me.
now I have to mess around sending it back.
nowhere does it say this is the NTSC version, nor is the image covered in French as the one they sent is. Only gave one star because this function doesn't allow #0 stars.

not happy at all
Published 27 days ago by Kevin Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the negative reviews, 29 Oct. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Gameplay: Now if your a fan of any other Assassins Creed game, your going to love this one. All the free running and movement has been refined, I have noticed very little of the bugs that used to annoy me all the time - I am yet to plunge fifty feet to my death accidentally jumping the wrong way because of bad controls - even after several hours of gameplay. Assassinating is as slick as ever, and having four guns as opposed to one finally makes them worth shooting! If you enjoyed the Naval battles on AC3, this is definitely for you! So much of the game is based on the open sea, but only if you want is to be. Sure, many missions involve boarding and plundering a ship, but if this isn't your cup of tea - though it is great fun - then you can stick to the cities for the most part (the 3 main ones all being large enough). I haven't yet reached the main idea of harpooning in this game, but thats probably because i spend most of my time causing havoc in Havana, and if the rest of the game is anything to go by, it will be good.

One thing that has been greatly improved is the stealth aspect in this game. It is possible to do almost every mission without entering open combat, and for this I greatly applaud Ubisoft, as stealth had all-but been abandoned in Assassins Creed 3.

However, while everything as been refined and added to, apart from the Naval battles, there isn't a huge amount of new features here, so if you don't like captaining a ship, I would have to recommend you stay away from this one.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are breathtaking. Even on Xbox 360, and I cant wait to see them on next-gen. If i compare it to AC2 (my favorite AC game) they are amazing, but however, if you played AC3, there really isn't that much new in the graphics department, as they were extremely detailed.

Storyline: Reasonably predictable overall, but it's always interesting to learn of Edwards struggles throughout his life. The new Abstergo modern day events that have taken over from Desmond are just about perfect - I personally find them interesting, but they never take you out of the game for too long!

Multiplayer: Not a big multiplayer fan on the AC games, so havent played it yet.

Conclusion: I would give this game an 9/10. Its an excellent game, and any die-hard fans of Assassins Creed will love it. Even if you simply enjoy playing them once in a while, I suggest you pick this one up. It has great gameplay, a decent storyline, and kept me glued to my TV for 4 hours straight when i got it today.

Ignore the other 'supposed diehard fans of AC' and look at it this way. If you enjoyed other Assassins Creed games (here I mostly mean the Ezio era, as many agree AC3 was a step back) and you liked the naval parts of AC3 then you will enjoy this one. If you don't like the Naval Battles, or the Assassins Creed format in General, stay away from this one.

Overall I would highly recommend it, Great game!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Absolutely brilliant. It restored my faith in the franchise, which had been going downhill, particularly with 3. The characters are brilliant and Edwards progression as a character is interesting enough to keep you engaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good., 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on AC3. In fact, I ended up trading it in soon after I had bought it. So when I heard that ACIV was going to be about pirates, I lost all faith in Ubisoft.
Being a loyal fan from the very first game, I decided to give this game a go and try it. It restored my faith in Ubisoft, I have to say.
The story wasn't as strong as I would've liked and the modern day Abstergo parts were strange to get used to, but all in all, the characters were memorable and the locations were beautiful. Not to mention the crisp and clear blue sea you spent most of the game travelling on.
Though a lot of the missions got repetitive i.e. eavesdrop ones, there was a lovely blend of stealth and fun which I didn't expect to see.

I would definitely recommend this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an Assassin's Creed game., 11 Nov. 2014
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have played most of the AC games over the years and this is a great addition. The running around town bit, clambering onto rooftops and assassinating people seems to be a smaller part of this game and that detracted from this a bit. But anyway, a list or two.

The Pros:

- More of the same. If you like the series then you will like this game. Climbing and parqouring around town is endlessly diverting and stealthily taking out enemies is never boring. There is a small RPG element to this game but it is very much a linear progression and that keeps things interesting.
- Ship Battles. I wasn't expecting to take to the high seas and engage in ship battles but you do. It feels a bit awkward at first but once you get the hang of it it is huge fun and I would quite happily play just a game involving naval battles as they are quite tactical and boarding a ship and looting it's cargo is a hoot.
- beautifully presented. There are not many bugs in this game and it is very well made with a clear and concise interface. There is a companion iPad app and this works seamlessly...but is a bit of gimmick to be honest.

The Cons:

- Not enough assassinations. You spend a lot of time climbing and accessing towers but once you've done that then the town is yours. The amount of difficult assassinations is very small and none of them are that challenging. The forts have been replaced with Naval forts that are very easy to defeat.
- Too easy. I just haven't found a mission or an assassination that is tough, maybe I'm playing it wrong. The naval battles are easy once you figure out how to range your firing and the assassin bit of the game is very easy.
- Collecting things is pointless. You can clear out an island or a town...but to what end? There is no loot as a result so I did a few and then gave up. Animus fragments are the same - I want to clear a region but I want an incentive.
- Legendary Ship battles are just a boring war of attrition.
- Returning to the future. You go back to Aspergo entertainments modern day office and it makes you undertake some the most boring things in video game history...like take lifts, collect packages from couriers. I have work for that.

Seems there are more cons than pros but this is a good game and a great addition to the series...but Assassins Creed 2 it ain't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game!, 29 Nov. 2013
5 Stars 100%!
Amazing game, a real high point in the series.
Even if you don't like previous Assassin's Creed games this is a very different experience while keeping old hardcore fans very happy.

I would recommend to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a soul that seeks adventure and you love sandbox (do whatever you like) games then this game ..., 12 Aug. 2014
Jac Johnson "Reviewer" (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This isn't a meerly a game; it's a life.
I am probably the biggest critic when it comes to realism and gameplay but this game is on another level.
If you have a soul that seeks adventure and you love sandbox (do whatever you like) games then this game will haul you in and drop your anchor.
Gta5? AC 4 blows it out the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being a pirate has never been this good., 12 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
After the disappointment that was "Assassins Creed 3", this new entry into the franchise brings with it a sense of belonging. Despite the pirate background, this is an "Assassins Creed" title and while doesn't stray too far from its roots, it definitely brings in new and exciting features which refreshes the quite repetitive franchise. Despite some problems and bugs, the game is something of a masterpiece and the excitement of being a pirate never dies down and you always feel something new and exciting awaits you. Despite "Assassins Creed 3" slow and long wait until the open-world is unleashed, this new-entry drops you off somewhat 1-2 hours into the game to let you explore the open-world and venture into the many side-quests/ships to plunder/ islands to explore. This makes the world feels exciting and alive, with plenty of brilliant things to do. The game has some faults though, I encountered some bugs which while didn't break the game, certainly irritated me and pulled me out of the experience. The excellent free-running is alive and kicking(something we have come to expect from the Assassins creed formula) but you will always run into some objects and try to climb up them despite not wanting too, this has plagued every Assassins creed entry. And the out of animus sections is a welcome advance into the franchise but does feel somewhat rushed. It lets you explores into the present-day storyline, revealing some exciting little secrets but the quality has had a significant drop compared to the in-animus sections. With rigid character design and walking animations which makes them walk like robots, it definitely feels like a lack of polish has been put into it despite the quality which has been put into other parts of the game. Despite it's faults,this is a game definitely worthy of your time and I advise you try it out for yourself. Its a beautiful game with an excellent open-world and intriguing story which sets a lighter tone compared to its successor. I advise all fans of the Assassins Creed franchise and open-world enthusiasts to try to this out as it is definitely worthy of your time. I rate this game 4.5/5. Thank you for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game 5 stars, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Assassins creed black flag is the best ac to date! It a huge amount better than ac 3 which was a bit of a dissapointment. The open world is huge and there is so much to do and explore. The naval battles are amazing and have been greatly improved from ac 3. The stealth is also very good and there are plenty of weapons to kill people with! Ignore the negative views there just looking back at ac 3 and using that to go against this one. If you are a fan of the ezio games then you will love this one! Plus it has staggering graphics and detail!

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast, 12 April 2014
D. Hall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
First off, I'm a huge fan of the series, and admittedly the previous title AC3 was a bit slow to start, flaky, and lacking in levity... but in it's ambition to be Red Dead with assassins and naval warfare tacked on for good measure, it did 'pioneer' in a sense, some of the features of 'Black Flag' that make this latest game so...

...don't know how to put this. I'll just have to say it...

AC Black Flag is possibly the best game ever. It has all of the things that made the earlier AC games so good. Then it's got this pirating thing which, for me, is the whole game. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Graphically it is truly awesome, jaw dropping.

Every now and again I can deviate from this FEAST of gung ho buccaneering, and do a bit of 'classic' AC... sneak about, kill things, collect stuff... then it's back out to sea. At this rate I could still be playing this in a few months time and miss summer entirely.

The only downside is the usual jarring bump when a 'real world' interlude occurs... but this only serves as contrast by which to measure how brilliant this game is.

I'm out of superlatives now. Just buy it...

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite Assassin's creed, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Assassin's creed 4 black flag has to be one of the best video games i have ever played, i have probably spent more time playing this than any other video game, it was enjoyable and so much better than the last title. Definitely the best Assassin's creed yet.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360)