4.0 out of 5 stars 12th book in a series of exciting hard to put down books
12th book in series great book but at times the story did seem to not have the spark of the previous books, still was very hard to put down, really enjoyed the read and how the story has developed so far. The ending was very unexpected.
Published 21 months ago by GREAT GAME

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending
Published 18 months ago by Mark Twain

4.0 out of 5 stars 12th book in a series of exciting hard to put down books, 27 Aug. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending, 4 Nov. 2013
Before I start, I must make it clear that I absolutely love the Spooks series, and have bought and read all the books, and then went and bought them again when they released the collectors editions for the newer books, and finally bought them again for the Kindle! I love Delaneys work, his writing style and his characters. Before I read any of the new books, I read all the previous books to make sure that I'm not missing any references.

This book tells the story of Alice, my favourite character throughout the series. We learn about her past and her present and the dangerous road she's lived her life on. We revisit characters from so early on in the series that some readers may have even forgotten about them. Delaneys story telling lends itself yet again to what is a fantastic story, with a great series of twists, flashbacks, adventure and blood filled action.

However, the ending was such a great disappointment. I almost threw the book down in disgust after realising what had just happened. I can see why it happened, I saw it coming from what we learn in Slither's Tale, but despite those things it was still a moment of great frustration after realising that it's such a terrible outcome to an otherwise great story. I don't want to spoil it, but I really hope the final book contains a twist that sets things to right again, but I believe this is very unlikely since the past few books have all been about setting the stage for the finale.

Overall, a very enjoyable read. I had to force myself to stop reading and go to sleep. However, the ending ruins the entire thing and I wish it could have been otherwise

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice - in all her darkness and light, 20 Jun. 2013
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have long loved Delaney's Wardstone series. Although aimed at younger readers, the story has depth to it. The characters especially are well developed - rarely within this series are all characters all good or all bad; there is light and shade, complexities which help to 'flesh' out their personalities, motives and actions. Ever since reading the first installment, THE SPOOK'S APPRENTICE, I have especially loved the character of Alice. She is a character who has mystified and intrigued me. From the very beginning of the series, we know that she has been brought up as a witch - because of this, Tom Ward who is apprentice to the Spook should be an enemy of hers. But, they develop a freindship and Alice joins Tom and the Spook on their mission against the Dark. Ever since the earlier books, I have longed for a deeper insight into Alice as a character. This latest installment gives us just that.

The brief synopsis of the book is that Alice has to travel to the Dark in order to retrieve a knife which they need for a later ritual, to try and rid the world of the Fiend - the Devil himself. As we follow Alice's journey, we see her encountering old acquaintances and old enemies. There are some who offer to help her, but just how much can she trust them?

As another reviewer has already stated, half way or so into the book, Delaney allows us to go back to Alice's past and see how she was brought up as part of one of the most notorious withc families in the County. Truth be told, I do feel in a way that Delaney could have gone into more detail, but there is plenty there which helps to explain her as a character. Unlike the other reviewer, I feel that this section was justified. As with I AM GRIMALKIN and SLITHER before this, this is a chance for us to just follow Alice and learn more about her and how she fits into the whole story.

Although you don't necessarily need to read this installment, at the end of the book there is a revelation which does have a bearing on the final installment that is to come later this year. If you are a fan of this series, like me, I am sure you will find a lot in this installment to enjoy and take away. Highly recommended, cannot wait for the final book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge-of-your-seat story!, 1 Oct. 2013
Received this book via a goodreads giveaway. 'Alice' is the 12th and penultimate book in the Spook's series, and is the only one I have read to date. Despite not having read any of the previous eleven books, I found Alice easy to read - in fact I have just finished it now, at 4.15AM as I was unable to put it down so I carried on reading through the night, desperate to know what happened next!
Alice gives enough background information for you to understand her part in the series together with some of her history. The story is well written, fast-paced, exciting and intriguing - a great combination! The characters are described really well, so that the reader can picture them easily. The plot is full of twists and turns and isn't predictable. Just when you think you know what is about to happen, another twist takes you in a totally different direction and being taken along for the ride is brilliant! I've not read anything else by Joseph Delaney, but I will definitely be reading more from this great author.
5 out of 5 stars - not a score I give often or lightly. I am really looking forward to starting the Spook's series from the very beginning - many sleepless nights to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice and Tom how I love you two..., 19 July 2013
I have loved all the Spook's Books. I couldn't wait for this book to arrive. Being the sad person I am though I didn't want to read it as I didn't want to know what happened (I did really) as it meant I would nearer the end of the books. Tom, Alice and The Spook are very easy to imagine in your head and the magical land they live in. We are off to Lancashire later in the year hope we don't bump into anyone with stripy tights and pointy shoes walking down the street.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5* spooks book yet again, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spook's: Alice: Book 12 (The Wardstone Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
buy it buy it. this is a great read any age, boys an girls alike. you wont be able to rest till the book is finished. then it will leave you needing to get the next. im adult an i loved it from start to end. we grow with theses characters an lauf an cry with them too. its a great series of books an on the web page there is a sniff of a movie. better than potter i think so get this an see for yr selfs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks Alice, 14 May 2014
Good read lots of tension loved all the stories shame that they had to end but all good things come to an end

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 19 April 2014
Of course, the quality etc. is fine but this review is about the book itself! Obviously, you have to have read the previous 11 books to understand. Joseph Delaney does it again with an amazing, heartstopping novel. It is narrated by Alice herself and tells the story of her journey... I won't give away any more! Also, the ending is perfect.... Spoiler: You have to buy book 13! :) If you haven't started already, start the Wardstone Chronicles and be completely absorbed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not finished yet but enjoying it, 4 Mar. 2014
I haven't finished the book yer I am very much enjoying it finding it easer to follow than book 11 because it has someone who we have followed from the beginning

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 11 Feb. 2014
It was a dark and exciting book with lots of twist and turns along with a great ending but over all just great