5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Panasonic budget TV!
I have had three Panasonic HD Ready models since 2007, of varying sizes and specifications. This 50" model and its smaller 42" sibling represent Panasonic's 2013 bargain basement range and without doubt this is definitely a bargain.

Published 17 months ago by ancientferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture but what is a 'normal' level of plasma screen buzz?...
Whilst having possibly the best picture I've ever seen on a large screen TV, the buzzing noise this baby made was so intolerable that I just had to send it back. Sure, if you set the brightness levels low, turn the sound up high, then you may be able to just about watch a whole movie without some irritation, but generally the high pitches buzz/whine when lighter colours...
Published 8 months ago by MS6

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Panasonic budget TV!, 5 May 2013

I am not going to attempt to review this TV by reproducing specifications that can be found freely online or by writing the words of others. What I will say is that this is the best picture quality I have seen from any budget Panasonic and to be quite honest, I cannot imagine there being a better all-round TV, anywhere at this price point. The picture quality is a joy and the colours are particularly pleasing. The blacks are most definitely black and sharpness is in abundance, especially on the HD channels.

The TX-P50X50B received a 5 star review from What Hi*Fi and this set is basically the same but with some apparent "engine" improvements borrowed from the more expensive models. Panasonic however, appeared to have saved some pennies by removing the SD Card reader that can be found in the TX-P50X50B, a decision that does not impact on my usage in any way, as the USB option is still available.

What I find incredible about Plasmas nowadays, is the how light they are, how much thinner they are and how much better they are in terms of power usage.

All in all, at the time of writing, the best £450 TV around.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent budget television, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P42X60B 42-inch Freeview HD Ready Plasma TV (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had been looking for a replacement for my trusty Toshiba CRT and was constantly disappointed by the performance of LED /LCD sets, blacks were grey, motion was handled badly, light bleeding at edges and constantly changing 'dynamic' contrast.
This set was a bargain from Amazon at under £270 including delivery.

Good points- excellent picture, good handling of standard definition TV, deep blacks, simple design

Bad points- reflection from screen may bother some with bright living rooms, small amount of 'buzz' especially on brighter scenes, not 'Full HD', power consumption, not a 'smart' set

NB the first set I received had to be swapped due to intolerable screen buzz, but Amazon were as efficient as usual

In summary I am delighted with this TV and have no hesitation in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain , Buy one before they become extinct (literally), 13 Aug 2014
This is honestly the best £400 TV on the market today , im absolutely gutted that panasonic has thrown in the towel on plasma tvs. The sound Quality is top notch the picture quality is very very good for the price. I recommend the TV is left on the cinema preset as i think this offers the best overall picture quality ive tried blu-rays ps3 gaming and hd channels and tbf the girlfriend says she cant tell the difference between itv hd and normal itv so i dont know if hd channels are a big con or the upscaler is top dog in this tv (ive heard plamsa handles sd better than lcd/led) my father in law bought a £900 samsung led tv and i honestly think in day to day average viewing sky , dvds e.t.c this plamsas picture quality blows it out of the water. also a nice bonus is plasmas natural ability to handle fast motion with ease and this tv does not disappoint no horrible 100hz rubbish con that creates the artificial soap opera effect. ok so obviously this tv isnt perfect as theres no full hd 1080p and only 2 hdmi inputs and the screen can be reflective in daylight but at £400 how can anybody moan the picture just feels natural with no digital bright image like led tvs give. until OLED becomes much more affordable this tv will serve me very well for years to come it amazes me that for the price of an average 50inch led tv i got a 50 plasma a floating glass stand a ps3 and a jbl sb400 soundbar if your on a budget for a big tv then buy this simple as 9/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased!, 22 Dec 2013
I read once, somewhere, that there are two kinds of shopper. The first will go out and buy the first item they see that matches their target (ie big tv, local supermarket. Jobdone!) The second kind will endlessly research and price check before finally buying. The first is generally the more satisfied with their purchase. I'd probably fall into the second category, but I am pleased with this tv!

I must admit I agonized long and hard over whether, in 2013, it really was wise to buy a tv that's only 720. But how much 1080 do I view. None. I don't have blueray and have no intention on buying any. I have a sky digibox that's fifteen years old. The picture is fine for me and my family. Its not the sharpest picture I've ever seen, maybe that's down to the sd signal. One of the best features of this tv for me is its ability to play media files off usb. I took a hard drive out of an old laptop, put it in a £2.50 caddy I got off Amazon (formatted it FAT32 - download a small program don't use dos - it takes hours), and I can now store all my films on it. Mkv, mp4, avi etc it plays (nearly) all of them. Watched a few 720's, nice.

My kids are now watching a Harry Potter dvd, and we've just zoomed the picture to fill the screen, cutting off the ends! At about eight foot viewing distance its not a bad picture. not pin sharp though. There's lots of options, though sidecut zoom isn't available on media files. Also mobile phone video - on my mp4's there's no sound, and 3gp not supported ;-(

Its a plasma, the blacks are nice. My son's video games look nice. I can't really compare it to an led cause I've come straight from a CRT. I was tempted to order two tv, I'd got the 39inch panasonic 1080 led shortlisted. Would have liked to try both and then send one back, in the end it was to much hassle and went with this one due to excellent reviews. I did intend to purchase from Richer Sounds, £325 with a five year guarantee, but in the end it was easier to order from Amazon - saved me a car journey and I knew there'd be no problem changing it if I wished with Amazon - I sounded out Richer Sounds about exchanging after purchase and they weren't to sure. They had both Tv's in stock but wouldn't set them up for me to look at! (though if it goes kaput in next five years I'll wish I had)

One more point that needs clarifying; power consumption. This could be a decider for a lot of people. Amazon state something like 197 watts, this nearly put me off. Argos give something like 95. The figures that came with the tv (from Panasonic) are 97 watts. I think AV forum went with 195. which is the real figure?

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use but plenty of options without losing you ..., 2 Aug 2014
Superb picture, easy to use but plenty of options without losing you in the complexity.

Sound is more than good enough, although in my case it is 20cm away from the wall allowing more sound than if you mounted it against a wall.

Love that you can plug in a USB to this TV and play video direct saving time and money powering up an intermediary device.

I use the "table" stand that comes with it and it looks great and very stable. Was easy to assemble but best to have 2 people to lift it onto the stand.

Remote is black, compact and simple to use.

Tip: I didn't know but apparently the delivery driver said Plasma's should not be stored on their side for more than an hour or two to avoid damage.

5.0 out of 5 stars and I am perfectly happy with my projector setup if I need a cinema ..., 31 July 2014
Got it for £250 brand new from Sainsburys, which was just too low to ignore.
They just left them on the pallet. No display model showing,
Don't really need another TV, but may not be able to get a Plasma TV soon, so got it just in case.
It's what I have always wanted!
After all the hype, I find Full HD TVs offers nothing worth having.
I don't have a single BluRay disk, and I am perfectly happy with my projector setup if I need a cinema experience.
For every day viewing, 720p is plenty.
Looking back, £1,000 for a LCD Full HD 40" SONY five years ago was insane. The Panasonic feels much more natural. Lower res, yes, but BETTER.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 23 May 2013
Excellent picture - more realistic than LED sets. Nice solid construction - who really wants a flimsy ultra thin set? Good speakers - much better than I was expecting. My one gripe so far (only had it a week) is with auto aspect. When a program is broadcast in 4:3, as so many older ones are, this set shows it in either 16:9 or Justified which simply stretches our the sides which is not really any better. You can use the remote to change to 4:3 but I would have expected a modern TV to show all proper formats on the auto setting - which is what my old CRT Panasonic did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get one while you still can!, 23 Dec 2013
What can I say, i bought a 32" LCD TV for bluray viewing in my bedroom and the pictures looked washed out in a dimly lit room, the blacks were in fact a dark grey. I did a bit more research, sent the LCD back and bought this 42 inch Plasma screen, and for just £299! The picture quality is a world away from LCD's, blacks are actually black and the picture is realistic, what a shame Plasma screens are dying out and the inferior but cheaper to produce LCD's have taken over.

I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at a regular viewing distance so this wasn't an issue for me, Blu-rays look fantastic on it, like being at the cinema, do yourself a favour though, either buy a soundbar or a surround set up to go with this, a shame to let the TV down using the built in speakers.

Best TV i have ever owned. Get one while you still can!

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, 11 July 2013
very impressed with tha quality.the stand was very strong and wellmade and the remote easy to understand superb value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars good set good value, 31 May 2013
this set has a very good picture the sound is not so good but is bear able it has the connection at the back for an audio digital lead i have connected up a panasonic sound bar to the set and now the sound is outstanding you will have to turn the sound off on the set otherwise you get an echo effect the sky remote can control basic needs but is limited to what it can do so you will still need three
remotes for the skybox . tv and soundbar to work o.k but all in all a good treat fom my son for my birthday