5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Panasonic budget TV!
I have had three Panasonic HD Ready models since 2007, of varying sizes and specifications. This 50" model and its smaller 42" sibling represent Panasonic's 2013 bargain basement range and without doubt this is definitely a bargain.

Published 14 months ago by ancientferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture but what is a 'normal' level of plasma screen buzz?...
Whilst having possibly the best picture I've ever seen on a large screen TV, the buzzing noise this baby made was so intolerable that I just had to send it back. Sure, if you set the brightness levels low, turn the sound up high, then you may be able to just about watch a whole movie without some irritation, but generally the high pitches buzz/whine when lighter colours...
Published 5 months ago by MS6

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Panasonic budget TV!, 5 May 2013

I am not going to attempt to review this TV by reproducing specifications that can be found freely online or by writing the words of others. What I will say is that this is the best picture quality I have seen from any budget Panasonic and to be quite honest, I cannot imagine there being a better all-round TV, anywhere at this price point. The picture quality is a joy and the colours are particularly pleasing. The blacks are most definitely black and sharpness is in abundance, especially on the HD channels.

The TX-P50X50B received a 5 star review from What Hi*Fi and this set is basically the same but with some apparent "engine" improvements borrowed from the more expensive models. Panasonic however, appeared to have saved some pennies by removing the SD Card reader that can be found in the TX-P50X50B, a decision that does not impact on my usage in any way, as the USB option is still available.

What I find incredible about Plasmas nowadays, is the how light they are, how much thinner they are and how much better they are in terms of power usage.

All in all, at the time of writing, the best 450 TV around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased!, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P42X60B 42-inch Freeview HD Ready Plasma TV (Electronics)
I read once, somewhere, that there are two kinds of shopper. The first will go out and buy the first item they see that matches their target (ie big tv, local supermarket. Jobdone!) The second kind will endlessly research and price check before finally buying. The first is generally the more satisfied with their purchase. I'd probably fall into the second category, but I am pleased with this tv!

I must admit I agonized long and hard over whether, in 2013, it really was wise to buy a tv that's only 720. But how much 1080 do I view. None. I don't have blueray and have no intention on buying any. I have a sky digibox that's fifteen years old. The picture is fine for me and my family. Its not the sharpest picture I've ever seen, maybe that's down to the sd signal. One of the best features of this tv for me is its ability to play media files off usb. I took a hard drive out of an old laptop, put it in a 2.50 caddy I got off Amazon (formatted it FAT32 - download a small program don't use dos - it takes hours), and I can now store all my films on it. Mkv, mp4, avi etc it plays (nearly) all of them. Watched a few 720's, nice.

My kids are now watching a Harry Potter dvd, and we've just zoomed the picture to fill the screen, cutting off the ends! At about eight foot viewing distance its not a bad picture. not pin sharp though. There's lots of options, though sidecut zoom isn't available on media files. Also mobile phone video - on my mp4's there's no sound, and 3gp not supported ;-(

Its a plasma, the blacks are nice. My son's video games look nice. I can't really compare it to an led cause I've come straight from a CRT. I was tempted to order two tv, I'd got the 39inch panasonic 1080 led shortlisted. Would have liked to try both and then send one back, in the end it was to much hassle and went with this one due to excellent reviews. I did intend to purchase from Richer Sounds, 325 with a five year guarantee, but in the end it was easier to order from Amazon - saved me a car journey and I knew there'd be no problem changing it if I wished with Amazon - I sounded out Richer Sounds about exchanging after purchase and they weren't to sure. They had both Tv's in stock but wouldn't set them up for me to look at! (though if it goes kaput in next five years I'll wish I had)

One more point that needs clarifying; power consumption. This could be a decider for a lot of people. Amazon state something like 197 watts, this nearly put me off. Argos give something like 95. The figures that came with the tv (from Panasonic) are 97 watts. I think AV forum went with 195. which is the real figure?

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent budget television, 15 Jan 2014
I had been looking for a replacement for my trusty Toshiba CRT and was constantly disappointed by the performance of LED /LCD sets, blacks were grey, motion was handled badly, light bleeding at edges and constantly changing 'dynamic' contrast.
This set was a bargain from Amazon at under 270 including delivery.

Good points- excellent picture, good handling of standard definition TV, deep blacks, simple design

Bad points- reflection from screen may bother some with bright living rooms, small amount of 'buzz' especially on brighter scenes, not 'Full HD', power consumption, not a 'smart' set

NB the first set I received had to be swapped due to intolerable screen buzz, but Amazon were as efficient as usual

In summary I am delighted with this TV and have no hesitation in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plasma better than lcd, 28 Jan 2014
Great value for the money. The picture quality is fantastic. I just added a Panasonic surround sound system that finishes off the experience. The TV may only be 720p, but most people wouldn't know it's not full hd

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 23 May 2013
Excellent picture - more realistic than LED sets. Nice solid construction - who really wants a flimsy ultra thin set? Good speakers - much better than I was expecting. My one gripe so far (only had it a week) is with auto aspect. When a program is broadcast in 4:3, as so many older ones are, this set shows it in either 16:9 or Justified which simply stretches our the sides which is not really any better. You can use the remote to change to 4:3 but I would have expected a modern TV to show all proper formats on the auto setting - which is what my old CRT Panasonic did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 25 July 2013
Alan Bryce - See all my reviews
Not everyone wants or needs a Smart TV and this means that the quality of a Plasma screen like this is really great valu. A quality picture with enough connectivity for our needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 1 Aug 2013
Ben Park (London, England) - See all my reviews
I have to admit to being somewhat worried that I would be underwhelmed with the picture quality on this 42" set given that it was not full HD, but only 720P. I watch a lot of HD content, from BlueRay to streaming, and from fairly close quarters. I was, however, looking for a cheap set as a temporary stop gap until I can afford a new Panasonic plasma later this year (after my last TV died).

All I can say is that I should not have worried. I read lots of reviews up front, all praising this set, and I can wholeheartedly agree. Smart functions were not important to me as I have all I need through my XBOX and Media Streamer, so I was after decent picture quality and good black levels. This TV did not disappoint. In fact, I am very, very impressed. It really does have a fabulous picture, to the point where i'm now wondering if upgrading to 1080P is even worth the money! (might wait for 4K instead... :-)

In short, you simply WILL NOT find a better picture for this price. It's an absolute steal. Buy one before they are all gone!

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, 11 July 2013
very impressed with tha quality.the stand was very strong and wellmade and the remote easy to understand superb value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars What else would expect coming from Panasonic?, 7 Jun 2013
H. Cowan - See all my reviews
This TV is superb. The picture quality is extremely high with the blacks being just that. The contrast is sharp and when viewed from 6 feet to 20 feet the picture is sharp and well defined as you would expect from a plasma screen. The sound is as good as you will get out of a TV. Set up is easy and automatic.
The only downside is that there is only one SCART socket so if you have two older pieces of equipment to connect up you will need a splitter box.

4.0 out of 5 stars good set good value, 31 May 2013
this set has a very good picture the sound is not so good but is bear able it has the connection at the back for an audio digital lead i have connected up a panasonic sound bar to the set and now the sound is outstanding you will have to turn the sound off on the set otherwise you get an echo effect the sky remote can control basic needs but is limited to what it can do so you will still need three
remotes for the skybox . tv and soundbar to work o.k but all in all a good treat fom my son for my birthday