5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional picture!
Published 19 months ago by C. Hussey-Yeo

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish TV do not buy!!!!!!
Your better off buying a Samsung smart TV!
This TV only has bbc i player and Netflix and every time we get a power cut the TV stops working the first time it happened I almost paid a repair man but i thought to just try to one last time and luckily it worked. This is a doggy TV and it's expensive do not buy!
If you have already bought one and you have a power...
Published 1 month ago by sally

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional picture!, 12 Sept. 2013
C. Hussey-Yeo (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Viera TX-L50ET60B 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080P 3D LED, Smart Viera, Wi-Fi Built in with Freeview HD (Electronics)
This set was bought to replace a Panasonic 42inch plasma that is now 8 years old and the first of its' kind launched in the UK by this brand. Up to now I have always been impressed with the set for both picture and sound quality and yet it lacked connectivity, internet and 3d and to be honest in a 25 foot lounge I felt we could go bigger. Our old set had a 50mm surrounding frame and this one has less than 10mm so we would not have a bigger set, just a bigger picture. It is also A++ rated whereas our plasma was something of a gas guzzler! I spent several months on research and dismissed all of the rival sets over time either for reasons of price or picture quality. I find the Samsung picture, for example, to be initially impressive but far too vivid and bright for long term enjoyment. This TV is a vast improvement (thankfully) on our old one and we're delighted with it. The picture is stunningly clear and detailed even on standard broadcast. Switch to HD and it's like being in the same room as the subjects. As for 3D, we were initially sceptical as we thought it to be a mere gimmick but with the Panasonic 3D blu-ray player connected we can upscale dvd's from 2 to 3D and watch them in amazing clarity and depth. The capability to watch just about anything in 3D is fantastic although in practice we only save it for watching things that justify it. Connectivity is excellent and the set has built in apps as well as switchable screens to allow you to access, store and customise other content. It has full wi-fi that virtually connects itself and a built-in help screen to assist if you need it. There are still umpteen features that we have yet to explore but for now we're just too engaged in watching the fantastic and absorbing picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning visuals, 17 Nov. 2013
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The Panasonic TX-L42ET60B is a mid-range, 42" LED screen, 3D capable, Smart TV. It is also available from John Lewis as the TX-L42ET61B - the only difference being a different and arguably smarter stand. As I see it these are the pros and cons of this set;

Pros

- The TV looks very good with a slim silver bezel, plus, 42" is a good compromise on size for the smallish living rooms in many new build homes.
- In my view, the picture quality is top class on SD, HD and 3D, although, you have to invest some time to hone the settings to your personal taste. The viewing angle is also wide, plus, as it is a 600Hz set, fast motion is handled very well - no smearing or lag is evident. In summary, no complaints on the picture front at all!
- The remote control and menu system is logical and although you have to get used to it (as with any new TV set), it is not too complex and a short textual explanation for each sub-menu appears on screen when selected.
- There is synthesised voice guidance available for navigating the set's functions.
- Connection to the Internet is easy, plus, the Viera homepage is logical and customisable - Panasonic have certainly increased the range of default apps installed. If you are tempted not to connect the TV to the Net, remember, it receives software updates that way.
- You can control the TV via your tablet or smartphone using the Panasonic app.
- Connectivity is good with 3 HDMI sockets (one with ARC), two USBs (including 1 optimised for hard drive connection); an SD card slot, optical audio port, 1 SCART socket, an Ethernet socket plus numerous other audio inputs/outputs etc.
- It uses a Passive 3D system which works very effectively and uses simple 3D glasses (2 pairs are supplied). The glasses are low cost because they don't use any electronics or batteries. However, despite their simplicity the 3D effect is just as good as I've seen on much more expensive sets which utilise more complex active shutter technology in their glasses - the 3D on this set is really very good.
- This Panasonic TV is A+ rated for energy consumption consuming around 40-50 watts during typical use so it will probably save you some money over an older set which is likely to consume considerably more power.

Cons

- Whilst the on-board sound is okay (please do not judge it by its out of the box settings), you really do need to explore the sound options which can vastly improve on the default sound quality, despite this, like all ultra-thin TVs it could do with more audio substance. We invested in the Panasonic SC-HTB65EB-S soundbar which is visually a perfect match for this set. I have reviewed the SC-HTB65EB-S separately, but for a modest extra cost it really is worth it.
- Nothing else I'm aware of as yet, but I'll update this review if I make any discoveries (negative or positive).

In summary, the TX-L42ET60B looks good, delivers excellent visual quality plus lots of useful features for the price and there are no significant gripes about it, in fact, it has won a number of plaudits from reviewers including T3 Magazine. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for the everyday user, 18 Oct. 2013
S. A. Rana (West Yorkshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Overall:

Brilliant TV and worth every single penny. This deal is an absolute steal at £550 with the specs this TV has. Similarly priced products of the same quality and generation cost around £700-800. The Picture is amazing at all times - it is truly exceptional on Netflix and Blu Ray films. Perfect TV for Video Games and the 3D is first class and managed to make me change my mind about 3D. If you're a first time buyer then and don't know what you're looking for I'd fully recommend this and I've written a simple (but detailed review) below so you know what you're fully buying. The internet is easy to connect to - the dongle is very good as I'm in the attic but buffering on Netflix and YouTube is seemless. The sound is no problem but a TV like this deserves a surround sound system to do the picture produced by this TV justice.

I bought this TV (42 inch) from a store that had a 5 year warranty promotion that's being offered by Panasonic from certain stores. Check below in the longevity section of my review to find out which stores have the promotion.

Set Up:

From opening the box to having everything done and the TV completely set up was about 30 minutes. It wasn't hard and no issues occurred. The set up included:

Taking everything out of the box
Assembling and screwing of the stand to the TV (have a star screwdriver handy!)
Setting up freeview channels
Connecting TV to internet
Setting up Netflix and YouTube
Tweaking the 3D settings on my Xbox 360 and PS3 for optimal settings.

Connection Ports:

2 x USBs ( I Think, might be 3 not sure sorry!), 3x HDMIs, 2x SCART, Composite (RGB) and AV inputs. Optical output and 3.5mm headphone jack. Only thing lacking is AV L/R outputs (for my gaming headset, this was easily dealt with though) and a VGA input so I can connect laptops up to the TV. All newer laptops have HDMI outputs so I wouldn't worry about this. This TV has more connections available than most TVs in the similar price and size range so I'll let it pass as this is a problem with the entire market not just this TV.

I haven't checked the USB function out as it's easier for me to just plug my laptop into one of the HDMI ports on the TV to view photos/DivX/Xvid/MKV/WMA/etc files as opposed to sticking everything on a USB in my opinion.

Sound:

The sound isn't anything special but with all TVs nowadays being so thin this isn't anything that should shock you. Thin TV = much smaller speakers = lower sound volumes. With that said I have no problem with the sound. My bedroom is probably 7m x 5m and the sound is clear and precise. There's not as much bass as my old Samsung but this TV is 25-33% the thickness of that TV so no real qualms from me here. Left and Right sounds can be distinguished but if you want Surround Sound either invest in a surround sound system or a sound bar. If sound does really matter you should already have a surround sound system or sound bar - if you don't then you won't find the sound a problem at all.

Viewing normal TV channels and DVDs:

The image is extremely crisp and seem to be upscaled very well on both Sky and Freeview, there is still an obvious difference between the normal channel and the actual HD ones but after coming of a 40 inch 1080p LCD Samsung which is 3/4 years old this exceeds what I've seen. DVD upscales look like full HD when played through my PS3 so that's very good. The colours also seem to be sharper and more precise than my Samsung, which tended to be more vivid and pop out more to me.

Viewing HD channels/Blu Rays/PS3/Xbox 360:

Phenomenal. I'm absolutely blown away - the 600Hz frame rate really does show, especially when watching Sky/BT Sport HD and playing video games. The quality is insane and the image is very sharp making everything really stand out. My friend recently bought a Samsung equivalent to this TV (same spec apart from the framerate) and we both agree that GTA V plays and looks better on mine than on his.

3D Video Games & Movies:

Not a really big fan of 3D and I see it as a gimmick but this TV's 3D works extremely well and I love it. When I bought this TV I didn't even bother to check the 3D that's how uninterested I was in it. So after watching Transformer 3, Avatar and Star Trek Into Darkness on here I can properly say I'm on the 3D bandwagon. In cinema and even in stores when trying on the 3D glasses it all felt gimmicky but on this TV after a couple of minutes of adjustment it felt proper and good. Batman Arkham City and Gears of War 3 both look and feel unreal when played in 3D.

SMART TV Functions (Netflix and YouTube):

Netflix and YouTube are all I really use out of the SMART section of the TV and I love it! YouTube works perfectly and can be controlled using the YouTube app on my phone to load videos. Netflix can stream in "Super HD" on this TV and wow, just wow! Honestly if you have a Netflix and watch Breaking Bad watch the pilot episode. The level of quality is insane even for something that was filmed in 2007! I felt like they were sat in the room next to me such was the quality.

The quality of image was akin to 4K TVs I've seen in stores. House of Cards, which was filmed with 4K cameras, looks amazing and speaks volume to the quality of image being produced by this TV.

Longevity:

Only had the TV for a week but it's not showing signs of falling apart like one of the reviews I read on Amazon. Between now and 1st March 2014 Panasonic is offering free 5 year warranty on this TV which is available at selected stores. Just head over to Panasonic's website and look for the promotion on there to see which places are offering it near you. In my house we generally replace the TVs every 4-6 years so I know my new TV is going to last one way or another!

The next step up for TVs after incorporating 3D, SMART TV, Freeview HD, and a high frame rate (600HZ this, most TVs in same price bracket by Samsung/Sony are 100Hz) is 4K resolution. Since the 4K TVs I've seen are £12,000+ I believe this is the best and most complete TV we're going to get in the affordable/absolute steal range for quite sometime.

4.0 out of 5 stars good picture quality and that's it, 16 Jan. 2014
This TV has got the best picture quality on this price compared to tvs I checked at the store and the build quality is great, just compare the build qualtiy of this tv and LG660v(which is in the same price range)if you go to a electronic store, you will know what I am talking about.On the down side the smart interface is dreadful, not many apps, very slow and its really annoying how you have to go to a separate menu to control headphone volume. Btw I saw some comments in this review about how expensive, gold plated Hdmi gave them better result, I completely disagree with that, all hdmi cables are same. Here are some explanation from trust able sources.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Supreme picture quality, shame about sound quality, 13 Dec. 2013
This tv is superb, however I found myself buying the Panasonic soundbar the very next day as the sound quality is poor

5.0 out of 5 stars What a little beauty, 6 Nov. 2013
I finally took the plunge for a new TV. I got this one 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. So easy to set up that I had it up and running within an hour of receiving it, I have tweaked a few settings to get the pic just as I like, I now enjoy being able to watch films in 3D and the 3D football is awesome. Now looking forward to watching "Doctor Who" in 3D later this month.I thought at first that it was going to be too large for my lounge but it fits in brilliantly. Other people have commented on the sound, I did try the TV's own sound and found it acceptable but as I play everything through my Home Cinema Amplifier it wasn't going to be an issue anyay.
Five stars for Panasonic, 5 stars for Amazon for their fab service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont be tight on the HDMI, 8 Jan. 2014
Simple addition to the excellent reviews of this exceptional TV.
Please don't spend 1k plus on the mutts nuts tv, and then use a
£2 HDMI lead.
I have been something of a Hi-Fi buff in my youth, and did appreciate
the difference that got audio leads etc could offer, but until this
week I didn't appreciate how much difference it made to your picture.
I was certainly pleased with the picture when I first connected it
using my existing HDMI cable. But over a few days of viewing we noticed
the occasional glitch in the picture, sometimes a brief black out of
the screen, lasting only a fraction of a second. Sometimes with green
or red banding. Very odd, and thought at first it may be the TV at fault.
Following a suggestion from the very helpful forums online. I bought a
Audioquest Forest HDMI cable.
Well, all I can say is wow! What a difference it made. Excellent picture
became stunning, and no more glitches or picture issues.
Buy a decent cable, it makes a noticeable difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning picture, 11 May 2014
Mo "f1mo" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This TV has been on my watch list for a while and waiting for the right deal to come, it's now discontinued, therefore I decided to buy it while I can. The reason for this buying this set instead of the replacement, simply because this is a better spec for this kind of money. A LED LCD with 600Hz refresh rate, 3D and smart is a bargain.
No other TV in this price range is as packed full of features as this. 3 HDMI ports, one which is ARC support, built in wifi, USB, etc.

The build quality is first class and feels and looks premium. It's super slim and the brushed metal trim really looks more premium than the replacement plastic black frame and stand.

On to the main reason why I bought this TV. Picture. The picture is visually stunning. There are a few preset setting, I decided to tone down the colours and brightness a little, but generally the colours jump out of the screen, the sharpness is lifelike, only a 4K TV is any better. Whether you are going to use the 3D feature or not, the 600Hz refresh rate gives smooth picture.
While the normal and dynamic settings offer vibrant and bright image, i do find this is not suitable for fast action or fast moving picture as there is some trailing. In true cinema where a lot of the brightness and colours toned down there is zero lag and super smooth. It also seems more natural than artificial.

Interesting thing about the 3D feature, the TV can convert 2D to 3D. While this is not true 3D, it still provides depth to picture. True 3D channels or blu-Ray is amazing. The supplied pair of 3D specs are passive. They are cheaper, but work just as well and also light in weight.

The TV features Vsound, which is very impressive for built in speakers. There are preset modes for different sound experience. I have tweaked the bass and it is very impressive. If you want to increase the overall experience especially cinema experience then invest in a home cinema system or even in a sound bar.

One small negative is the positioning of the HDMI ports. They are to the side and if you have chunky cables these do get noticed, therefore I. Have bought some adapters with a 90 degree turn (don't get 270 degree turn), now the cables neatly connect without noticing.

Regarding the smart TV feature, i have found the most common apps such as Netflicks, Facebook, Skype, BBC, BBC Sports, Eurosports, and a host of others. The weather app is good and i have stored this on my custom home page. A cool feature is the use of iOS app. You can view your photos and control the TV via you iOS device. You need to download this from iTunes/App store.

In summary, Panasonic makes TV units which simply deliver and are reliable. I stopped waiting for my current Panasonic to fail, they seem to keep going. More importantly it's not fluffed up marketing, it does what it says and it does it under stably. You will not be disappointed with this unit. visually beautiful in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 12 Feb. 2014
Cut a long story short, I went into Currys to look at a Sony W6 TV, I did'nt think much of the picture quality, Then i saw the Panasonic stand, I was wowed by this TV and had to have it, I bought the 47" version Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET60B
I have Opted for the 3D version because the way i think is- This Tv has a faster Mhz rate than normal LED TV because of the 3D, So i do believe this faster rate eliminates motion blur, I'm not a technical know how, But this does make sense to me, Though their is a slight lag watching fast moving balls in sports like football or golf.

The Tv it self is fantastic, 3D looks really good even though i am not a big fan of 3D in a TV, This TV has changed my mind about it, Nothing pops out, The 3D gives the TV depth, Like your looking out of a window, You can upscale normal 2D to 3D with a touch of a button. The only thing that i have a problem with is using the remote to type things into a web browser, Dont know if you can get a keboard for this? Everything else on the TV is fantastic, good Apps like Skype, BBC iplayer, Youtube and others you can download, This TV is even better if you have a smart phone, Pics, Video, Youtube clips can be sent from your phone direct to the TV.
Connections on the TV are good, You get 2 x USBs, 3x HDMIs, 2x SCART, Composite (RGB) and AV inputs. Optical output and 3.5mm headphone jack, Ethernet port (can do Wi-Fi) Also it has a SD card reader, So just pop in your SD then view photos and videos, You can also change the music that goes with the slideshow.

Having a 10mm silver frame around the screen is a massive plus, As this 47" version is only slightly wider and about the same in height compared to my old 42" Plasma, Its all screen!
I know Plasma screens can produce blacker blacks, So after fiddling around with the picture settings trying to get the right balance between the black and light areas, I came up with these settings,

This is my personal preference:-
In the picture settings-

Now GO TO ADVANCE SETTINGS:
Adaptive Gamma Control: Off
Black Expander: Off
Clear White Effect: Off
White Balance: R Gain 4, Green Gain 0, Blue Gain 3, Red Cutoff 0, Green Cutoff 0, Blue Cutoff 0
IN COLOUR MANAGEMENT: R Hue 0, R Saturation 0, R Luminance -3, G Hue -14, G Saturation 0, G Luminance -5, B Hue -14, B Saturation 0, B Luminance -1

Gamma: 2.2

NOW GO TO OPTION SETTINGS.
Film Cadence Mode: On

Have fun and enjoy your new TV!
If you are looking for a new TV, Do what i did and go to a shop and compare TVs side by side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv, 23 May 2013
A. Mohammed (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Perfect picture, the look of the tv itself, very slim, sound quality. Amazing connectivity. USB slots, wifi- built in, Hdmi slot.

Watching a movie in 3d on this tv is an absolute pleasure. It's the best buy ever