The WAP300N can be configured in several ways:

* Access Point (default)
* Wireless Media Connector
* Wireless Range Extender
* Wireless Bridge

I'm not going to go through them all here. I chose Wireless Range Extender, so that I could pick up a fairly weak wireless signal near a non-wireless TV and attach the TV to the WAP300N with an Ethernet cable. I wanted to extend the reach of my wi-fi network at the same time.

In case it helps anyone, here's what worked for me:

* Cable the unit to an Ethernet port on your PC and power it on
* Run setup.exe from the CD and follow the steps - choose an admin password, then wireless band (2.4GHz for most people), network name (their term for SSID) and network password (i.e. WPA2 key). I'd recommend using the same ssid and network key as those of your router.
* Use a browser to access the device at 10.100.1.1 (type that in your browser address bar and hit Enter)
* Under the Setup tab, select Operation Mode and choose Wireless Range Extender, then Save Settings which will cause a reboot
* Under the Wireless tab, select Wireless Network Site Survey and your router should be detected
* Select your router and click Connect
* Type your router's security key, click Connect again and wait for connection to complete.

That's it. Job done.

You will no longer see the WAP300N at 10.100.1.1 because it's become a client of your router. If you want to get back into the WAP300N interface, you'll need to find its IP address in your router's DHCP client list. Alternatively, reset the WAP300N (press the button on the base for 5 seconds) and start from scratch.

My TV is three rooms away, through three brick walls (two of them cavity walls), but iPlayer now works without a stutter. In addition, I get a great wi-fi signal in that area of the house where previously it was very weak, and beyond that where previously there was no wi-fi at all. Perfect!

The documentation is scant, to say the least, but the support from Linksys (Cisco) compensated. If you're reading this, thank you Shanne (Badge ID 25282) for a very helpful `chat'.

I have no way of comparing this with similar devices such as the significantly cheaper but top-rated (by Web User mag) TP-Link TL-WA830RE but am delighted with the WAP300N.

One last tip - copy the Documents folder from the CD to your PC, for ease of future reference to the manual (even if the manual is somewhat wanting).
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2014
I decided to opt for the Linksys brand after having a terrible experience with a Netgear Wireless-N Access Point WN802T-200. Basically I updated the firmware on it (on Netgear Support's recommendations) and it bricked. Their support was terrible and they wouldn't help me out by sending a replacement despite my complaints. It was a few year old so I couldn't be bothered to fight anymore and I cut my losses. I'll NEVER deal with Netgear products again and would never recommend them. Anyway, back to this Access Point... Prior to the Netgear crap described above, I'd owned a reliable Linksys WAP54G. This device so far has been great. I've had to send one back due to a faulty plug but other than that it's been great. Coverage in my house and garden is spot on, and my house is a decent size. Speeds are great. My only criticism is that the ethernet port on the access point is only 100mb/s where it should be 1000mb/s.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Set-up was quite easy; no need to worry about using the included CD (which I doubt would have been helpful anyway, as I use Linux, not Windows).

I plugged the access point in to my laptop via Ethernet; it assigned my laptop the IP 10.100.1.100, and the access point itself was 10.100.1.1 (so the admin interface was accessible at http://10.100.1.1/ in a browser). The default username and password are both "admin".

I selected "Manual" for "Configuration View" to see the full range of settings.

Configuring it was easy; it supports all the security modes you'd expect - WPA/WPA2/WPA mixed Personal, WPA/WPA2/mixed Enterprise mode (using a RADIUS server), WEP, RADIUs or none.

After changing any settings the device reboots, which can be a little tedious - for instance, I had to configure the frequency, channel and channel widths etc first, then clicking save rebooted the device before I could then set up the security settings (resulting in another reboot) - I'd rather be able to set everything up in one go, but it's no big deal.

I immediately disabled WPS (Wifi Protected Setup), due to some security problems with WPS I'd rather not deal with.

The firmware installed on the unit I reviewed was 1.00.00, which, according to the Linksys website, is the most current version available.

A couple of minor drawbacks to be aware of:

- Although the device is dual-band (it can use the 2.4Ghz range, which is compatible with nearly all wifi equipment, as well as the 5GHz band, which is less congested but supported by less devices), it cannot do both at the same time.
- Although it claims "up to 300Mbps speed" on the packaging, it only has a 100Mbps Ethernet port to link to the rest of your network - so if a wireless client was actually capable of reaching that advertised speed, it would be limited by the Ethernet port speed anyway!

So, that's it as an access point; so far, it has provided a stable, reliable connection with no complaints. My connection speed appears largely comparable to the TP-Link TL-WR2543ND 450Mbps Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit CABLE Router I've also been using as an access point (but this one doesn't have the built-in gigabit switch the TP-Link does, necessitating a separate network switch - handily I have a TP-LINK TL-SG105 5-Port Metal Gigabit Ethernet Switch ready to handle that, though). The Linux 'iwconfig' command shows that my connection to the access point is currently 72Mbps; measuring throughput over the wifi link using iperf to see real-world throughput figures, I get results around 52Mbps.

It can also be used in other modes - "Bridge", to wirelessly join multiple networks together, "Media Connector", to connect wired devices to a wireless network (for example, if you have a smart TV/DVD player that has Ethernet but not wifi, this device could get it connected to your network wirelessly), and "Range Extender" - to extend the coverage of an existing wireless network. I have not had a chance to test any of those modes yet, though.
on 7 December 2013
I went through every support option possible, with the Linksys support team and they ended up giving me a refund as it doesn't work and there is no firmware fix possible.

It works fine as a 2.4Ghz device, the interface etc is fine, fairly intuitive etc and not bad to use.

Over all I got decent range (around 25 Meters through multiple walls and wall types) and would be happy with it if it worked on 5Ghz.
on 22 October 2015
Take caution if buying this to use as a Wireless Bridge. I'm not a networking expert, but I spent many hours trying to get this working before succumbing to the Support HelpLine. It turns out this device can only be bridged to another WAP300N. So if like me you want to bridge to a BT HomeHub or other third party router/access point, you have to buy two of these and hard-wire one to the router. This seemed somewhat pointless so it will be returned and an alternative product sought. It would have been useful if this had been specified in Linksys' Product Particulars.

Aside from that, Amazon's delivery was very efficient as was Linksys' Support HelpLine. If you want a WAP or Range Extender I'm sure this is a fine product.
on 19 September 2013
Not yet tried anything other than range extender mode. Some strange behaviours though. If the main router is powered down, it loses its WPS connectivity and this needs to be rest - simple enough to reset but annoying. Another (cheaper) Huawei device remembers it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I finally got to installing this at my parents who had some no-name, poor quality wi-fi router.

So I replaced their router with a standard, non-wireless unit (the one BT originally supplied, I believe) and plugged this into that router to give them (and me) a wi-fi signal we could use.

I used the unit as an Access Point (its default mode) and haven't tried any other configuration (such as a Bridge or Extender).

I used the browser-based set-up page rather than install (yet more) software onto my parents' PC from the CD and it worked like a dream. I tried the far less crowded 5Ghz band and it worked great until we found one of their laptops couldn't connect (or even see the signal) - I guess it was just too old to see that wireless mode.

Switching back to the 2.4Ghz range immediately brought the network ID into view for everyone, including my iPhone and Nexus 7.

It was a fast connection even in the garden - I didn't do any speed measurements but let's just say that at no point did I think "This is slow" - it just worked as it should do, no doubt due to the "N-speed" technology that all their devices (and mine) could use.

It was a pity that the light for network connectivity was at the rear of the unit - I find it reassuring to see a flickering LED where I can see but that's me being OCD, I guess.

I changed the SSID to something a bit more obvious to them, and ensured we used the WPA-2 (pass phrase) so no-one could use their broadband for free.

All the other settings (such as MAC filter, Qos and maybe more) were left alone. I didn't want the set up procedure to be so complicated that I couldn't remember how I set it up should I have to re-do it one day.

There's no way my Mum or Dad could have done this by themselves but it was pretty straightforward once you understand what it's doing (and the diagrams in the setup procedure were helpful to them too).

So it's been working flawlessly for a few days now and I've no "support calls" thank goodness. And now when I visit I get automatic connection to their wi-fi too! Result!

I think this is a good value device. It gives a fast, stable connection and, if you can use the 5Ghz frequency, a less crowded place for the signal to get to you. I found the standard 2.4Ghz signal more than adequate and as far as my parents are concerned "it just works" - as technology should do.

Well done, Linksys, on a great little wireless access point.
on 5 February 2014
You can select either 2.4GHz or 5GHz but not both. The main reason for purchasing this item was to have simultaneous dual band operation which you can not do.
Easy to set up and connected fine to phone on both bands.
on 8 October 2013
I bought this access point for use in a busy office. The range and speed is brilliant and it's well worth the money. Setup is a breeze, literally took two minutes to configure and start using. I simply plugged it into a network port, scanned the network to find its IP and logged into it to configure it, so didn't even look at the instructions! I am an IT Consultant though and know what I'm doing but I'm sure any computer user would be able to get this up and running easily.

Great access point and well worth the money, would highly recommend.
on 27 February 2016
There's a lot to be said for not mixing and matching networking products. I have a Linksys router and I bought a Netgear WN604 access point to extend its coverage. I got the Netgear to work only because I know what a default gateway and subnet mask is. Even still it took me half an hour to set it up. Then it was another several hours trying to figure out why the Netgear was intermittently losing connection. I eventually gave up and replaced it with the Linksys. The Linksys was a five minute job using the CD and no technical skills were required at all.

The access point gives twice the signal strength of the Netgear and noticeably faster transfer speed. This is using the "slow" 2.4Ghz band and I haven't tried it with the 5Ghz. My main router offers both bands simultaneously and the 5Ghz has a poorer range so unless you are getting interference from other wireless networks or really need the extra speed then setting the AP to 2.4Ghz should be fine.