4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking smartphone with some great features
The Huawei Ascend P2 was purchased as part of a 2 year contract with 3 mobile.

I chose it because it has the specs of a high end phone - 1.5GHz quad-core processor ,16 GB memory, 13 MP camera, having Android Jelly Bean operating system and been 4G capable means that there is no need to upgrade when Three rolls out it Ultra fast Network.

The internet...
Published 15 months ago by OKumi

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably all right as a phone, but...
Published 15 months ago by Ozaru

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking smartphone with some great features, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Huawei Ascend P2 Smartphone (Touchscreen, 1.5 GHz Quad core-Prozessor, 1 GB RAM, 13 Megapixel mit Full-HD HDR Movie Support, Android) - black (Electronics)
The Huawei Ascend P2 was purchased as part of a 2 year contract with 3 mobile.

The internet access I have found as with most mobiles is dependent on the location,when accessing from home I can achieve much faster download speeds than from my TalkTalk broadband. Not had any problems like losing connection between mobile and network. The Wifi Hotspot is a battery drain so best used when the phone is plugged into mains.

Only complaint will be the lack of microSD slot and the battery not been easily replaceable.

Having a quad core processor means the mobile can easily multi task but will get warm when running many apps at the same time.

My experience off using Ascend P2 has given a postive impression of the company Huawei making me more likely to purchase other products the make.

The mobile has a slim elegant design, the Emotion launcher is attractive and user friendly. This mobile offers better functionality, great screen , impressive camera and super fast internet speeds than other mobiles in the mid range.

4.0 out of 5 stars What A Breath Of Fresh Air, 15 Sep 2013
I've had a few smart phones in the past including a Sony, Samsung and HTC. I've got this phone on contract with Three for 24 months. I researched the phone before I decided which one to get, it was out of this phone or the Samsung S3, which was similar in spec but costed more.

I got this phone on a 24 month contract with Three, it's a great deal and as it's a 4G phone I'm going to get a free upgrade to 4G when Three start offering the service.

All I can say is WOW, I love this phone I'm so glad I chose it over the S3, I got this phone in June, so I've been using it for three months now so I've put it through it's paces. The phone admittedly over heated but only once and to be honest it was my fault because I was running so many apps at once it was a strain for the phone, but I got a warning message telling me the battery has over heated and will switch off in a couple of secs.

This phone is amazing value, I find the performance quite good, and multitasking hasn't been an issue for me. Unlike the chap who reviewed this phone before me, I never had an issue with the data connection dropping every so often, the phone seems quite stable and solid. For a 4G phone this phone is priced very well and has a cat4 4G chip which means you'll be able to reach a theoretical speed of 150Mbps, which is the fastest on the market at the moment.

Unlike A Samsung the phone battery is not removable some people may see this as a bad thing as you won't be able to swap the battery out if you need more power on the go, but the battery is good enough for me, it's a 2420 mAh battery which is quite a decent amount of power, if you do simple things like setting the brightness to automatically adjust then you can get save some power and make the battery last longer, but after a typical days works assuming your constantly connected to your 3G data you will need to charge it.

The phone only has 16GB of data, and it can't be expanded and there isn't a version with a bigger memory capacity available, but this should be alright for most people, unless you are want load your device with lots of music the memory should be more than enough. I have lots of apps on mine and lots of pictures and I still have plenty.

The phone is quite thin, and sometimes I think too thin I have a leather case on it now so this has resolved the issue, but before I had the case I was always worried the phone will slip out of my hand and the curved sides didn't help it made it easier for the phone to slip out of my hand, and I don't have small hands.

It comes with android 4.1.2 this isn't the latest version but that's not an issue for me the phone seems to be quite fluid, but the phone comes bundled with it's manufacturers software on top of the android OS which is called Emotion UI and the latest version of that is 1.5. It has changed the look and feel of the android OS the most out of any of the other manufacturer interfaces like Samsungs touchwiz and HTC's sense. Emotion UI does make it seem to lag at times like loading the camera apps only takes a few secs but it feels like it should be instant for a phone with good specs like this, it may be a little annoying but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The camera is amazing it takes crisp pictures and has lots of settings for you to play with including HDR and this phone can record in full 1080p HD with 30 fps which is what you get out of a high end phone which costs much more than this device.

The build quality feels good, it's plastic but it feels solid, when you hold it in your hand it feels good.

It has an IPS screen which is similar to the displays the iphones have. The display is 720p but it's good, I really see the difference between this screen and the amoled screen I had before, the pictures look crisp clear and fresh.

This phone supports b, g and n wireless standards but doesn't support ac which is the latest standard. But unlike a lot of other phones this supports dual band which can be a great benefit as most routers nowadays have this feature built in by default, and if you are a heavy bandwidth consumer e.g. downloading big files or streaming movies online then you will be able to connect to your WiFi network and use the net on the device without experiencing a slowdown, which is great.

If anyone would ask me if I would recommend this phone to someone I would say yes, sure it has a few issues, no phone is perfect but the issues with this phone are so small they don't really bother me and it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

If I had to give this phone a rating out of five I would give it a solid four, amazing features and good value.

I hope this company release more phones and they become available to more people because I was impressed with this phone, I would definitely get another Huawei phone after the experience I've had with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can keep your iPhones!, 28 Feb 2014
A. Hayward (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I just love my Huawei Ascent P2 - the screen is great (I've even watched movies on it and read eBooks), the camera is not like a phone camera at all, its so good and there is such a fantastic collection of Android apps for almost anything you'd ever want to do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably all right as a phone, but..., 13 Sep 2013
I've had an Huawei Ascend P2 for about two months now (on contract with Three Mobile). The main reason I chose it was because together with some Sony phone (full of music features I didn't need), it offered the cheapest access to Three's 'Ultrafast' 3.9G network. I wanted to use this as a replacement for my land line, both telephone and broadband, and because of my rural location it seemed to offer much higher speeds and a much lower total cost.

As a phone, it seems to work OK. I've not compared with other phones, but the speed, looks, functionality etc. all seem OK. Nothing amazing, but no complaints. The memory seems rather limited, especially as over half of it is taken up instantly with the Android operating system.

However, as a method of accessing the internet from a PC (via USB tethering or as a WiFi hotspot - in effect using it as a USB or 3G/4G dongle modem), it has serious flaws.
- After a while, it tends to lose the data connection, meaning you lose access to almost all websites (for some reason, probably connected with the cache, google.com often survives). They suggest switching the phone off & on, which works, and the quicker route of switching 'data access' off & on also seems to work, but either way is inconvenient and means it is not reliable as a 24/7 connection, particularly if used for VoIP too.
- It tends to overheat. Even on moderate days, the phone temperature often shoots up to 41`C or higher. I used some of the methods shown at lifehacker.com to try and ensure good air circulation around it, but it's still dodgy.
- It loses power quickly. Whether it is tethered (and charged) via USB, or charged by the power adaptor and used as a WiFi hotspot, when being used to upload/download large files it uses power up more quickly than it charges. The end result is that after some hours the power has declined to zero and it switches off.
- When it is not being charged from the mains - for example, if it is just attached to a laptop's USB port while out & about, it runs down even more quickly (it drained my laptop's battery in perhaps an hour, compared to normal usage of several hours).
- When the power does hit zero, it takes ages to get it working again. One would expect that plugging it into a power source would get it to 1% within, say, a few minutes but my experience is that it will continue cycling through the boot sequence, remaining on 0%, for several hours until it somehow manages to get enough power to enter the normal charging mode. This is disastrous if you're relying on it for your connection with the outside world.
- Worse still, there is no way to buy a spare battery and swap them out in this scenario.
- Huawei customer service were no help when I tried to find out if this phone could be tethered to a USB/3G/4G router (e.g. TP-Link's TL-MR3420) to provide broadband access to other PCs and VoIP phones (e.g. Grandstream DP715 or Gigaset N300A). TP-Link were no help either.

The above problems might have just been issues with my handset, and in a few cases with the network. However, I did report them to Three, who were quite helpful and sent me a replacement. All of them reoccurred, indicating they are design flaws. I am currently managing to work around them - checking the battery does not get below 5%, resetting the data connection as soon as it is lost, etc. - but I can't really recommend the Ascend P2 for this kind of use, and wish I were not now tied into the contract. However, I imagine most users will just want it as a phone, with occasional net access, in which case these may be no more than inconveniences.