Published 16 months ago by Mr. Ryan Patrick Crowley

3.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly transposed "josei manga"
My thoughts on this anime resonate with the review from S Salva.

Published 3 months ago by angel rei

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to Cowboy Bebop in Music, Style, Story. Flawless and Beautiful!, 19 April 2013
This anime is flawless in every sense. This is a brilliant drama, Shinichiro Watanabe has Directed this perfectly, the art work is incredible especially when the frame per second increase when they perform making it seem more realistic and close to theatrical releases. The music is touching and heart warming, Yoko Kanno, has done a terrific job in choosing the right music for this anime, it always sets the mood and pays homage to greats such as Art Blakey and Bill Evans. After watching this anime I fell in love with Bill Evan's work I am sure anyone who hasn't listened to jazz will be obsessed at the end of this. I never expected the Cowboy Bepop Duo to create something so magical.

The humour is great, the story is dramatic and passionate. You see all elements being tackled. A love traingle, forbidden love and bonds being made but tarnished, all the while everyone is brought together in happiness with Jazz.

I will say I have not heard the English voice overs. I do hope they don't ruin the anime, but thankfully the Japanese and subtitles are there for everyone who prefer it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful shows I have ever watched!, 8 Jun 2013
`Kids on the Slope' has quickly become my new favourite anime. By the opening sequence I was hooked, and rushed through the series in three nights, and would happily watch it again. To put it simply, this is just a lovely series and I really can't fault it. If you're a fan of anime and have a parent, friend or significant other who simply thinks it's far too weird for them to comprehend, sit them down and watch `Kids on the Slope' together. I'm getting teary just thinking about it.

The director behind this series is no other than Shinchiro Watanabe, who is responsible for brilliant action-packed series such as `Cowboy Bebop' and `Samurai Champloo', so `Kids on the Slope' is a rather different genre of anime for him to get behind. The music is also second to none, especially those amazing jazz medleys, thanks to Yoko Kanno, who has worked on `Cowboy Bebop', `Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex' and `Honey and Clover'. If you needed even more convincing, the opening song, "Sakamichi no Melody" is sung by YUKI.

Of course, if you're not big on your anime and have no idea who any of these people are, that doesn't mean this show can't be appreciated for what it is: charming, funny, emotional and an all-round enjoyable watch. There are no explosions, robots or magical girls here, so there's nothing to distract you from the relationships between characters and smooth jazz. Don't forget that smooth jazz. The only thing that could improve this series for me would be a whole episode dedicated to the jam sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The long slope, 16 Jun 2014
Kids on the slope is a music slice of life anime, I am not the biggest fan of slice of life anime's but this was unlike any other the amount of work the producer and director has put into it with brilliant voice acting and gives an amazing vibe. If you are a fan of Jaz music or enjoy an anime that taps into the characters deepest emotions then this is an anime for you.
EASY 5/5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly transposed "josei manga", 9 May 2014
This review is from: Kids On The Slope Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My thoughts on this anime resonate with the review from S Salva.

I am a huge fan of Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno - for me, the latter has to be one of the most versatile and gifted composers working in Japanese animation. When I saw that these two had come together to collaborate on a musically orientated anime I bought the box set without a second thought. I was anticipating Watanabe's usual display of complex and intriguing characters, beautifully executed drama, intelligent screenplay and that ineffable quality which his work has to unexpectedly move the viewer, so that the anime somehow lasts internally long after the end-credits have rolled away.

Unfortunately, for all its crisp animation, talented (Japanese) voice acting, and even despite the stonkingly amazing jazz performance scenes, I found myself ultimately bored by this series. I struggled to get to the end and will probably end up selling my box-set as I doubt I will ever re-watch it. The story played out like an endless labyrinth of confusion, indecision, teen-angst and pubescent lust. I found it hard to comprehend or empathise with the incessant emotional to-ing and fro-ing of the lead characters and, by the end, couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them...

I only realised after starting to watch the series that the original manga was serialised in 'FLOWERS' - a monthly publication which, as you can probably deduce from the title, is marketed mainly to teenage Japanese girls. After the triumph of 'Cowboy Bebop' I suspect Watanabe and Kanno could not resist the temptation to bring their talents together to work on a project which would allow them to explore their love of all things jazz. Unfortunately, despite the admittedly wonderful music scenes, I just don't believe this teen-romance material really offers this talented pair the right quality canvas on which to produce the kind of masterpieces we have seen them execute in the past. Disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly transposed "josei manga", 9 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Another instant classic from the creator of Cowboy Bebop, 3 Sep 2013
Kriss (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kids On The Slope Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Kids on the Slope is one of the best recent anime series. Lovely romantic drama with interesting characters and full of jazz performances. Action takes place in 60's Japan and tells story of group of students, their love relationships and fascination in jazz music. Perfect series from start to finish, beautiful animation and music from Yoko Kanno. Blu-ray quality is brilliant.
There's not a lot of bad things about the series. The only problem for me is: why only 12 episodes? Wish it could last forever or at least standard 26 episode run. Anyway in it short run series tells it's story beautifully.
Well, there's another problem: awful english dubbing. Bad voice cast and poor, cheesy acting. I must admit that I like watching anime with english dubbing and I'm quite surprised that after amazing american dubbing of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, americans messed up latest work of Shinichiro Watanabe. Anyway series is period drama so should be watched in japanese with english subtitles which of course are available :)
If you love jazz and slice of life stories you'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made but too juvenile for top score., 4 Sep 2013
S. Salva (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kids On The Slope Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Having loved Watanabes previous projects,I had great hopes for this jazz-themed series. However I soon realized that, while very well made - especially the musical scenes - the series had a maturity level directed at teenagers. This is not a bad thing by itself, but increasingly the characters' actions became less believable and felt like a grown up's misjudged opinion about how teenagers react. Well, what do I know, I'm 40 myself...
Technically,the presentation is superb. The Blu-Ray quality is good, I didn't notice any banding (which often plagues anime products), the English subtitles were clear and seemed to follow the Japanese Audio well. I'd recommend Kids on the Slope to anyone between 10 and 18.

Kids On The Slope Collection [Blu-ray]
Kids On The Slope Collection [Blu-ray] by Shinichirô Watanabe (Blu-ray - 2013)