5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to Cowboy Bebop in Music, Style, Story. Flawless and Beautiful!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Kids On The Slope Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This anime is flawless in every sense. This is a brilliant drama, Shinichiro Watanabe has Directed this perfectly, the art work is incredible especially when the frame per second increase when they perform making it seem more realistic and close to theatrical releases. The music is touching and heart warming, Yoko Kanno, has done a terrific job in choosing the right music for this anime, it always sets the mood and pays homage to greats such as Art Blakey and Bill Evans. After watching this anime I fell in love with Bill Evan's work I am sure anyone who hasn't listened to jazz will be obsessed at the end of this. I never expected the Cowboy Bepop Duo to create something so magical.

The humour is great, the story is dramatic and passionate. You see all elements being tackled. A love traingle, forbidden love and bonds being made but tarnished, all the while everyone is brought together in happiness with Jazz.

I will say I have not heard the English voice overs. I do hope they don't ruin the anime, but thankfully the Japanese and subtitles are there for everyone who prefer it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful shows I have ever watched!, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kids On The Slope Collection [DVD] (DVD)
`Kids on the Slope' has quickly become my new favourite anime. By the opening sequence I was hooked, and rushed through the series in three nights, and would happily watch it again. To put it simply, this is just a lovely series and I really can't fault it. If you're a fan of anime and have a parent, friend or significant other who simply thinks it's far too weird for them to comprehend, sit them down and watch `Kids on the Slope' together. I'm getting teary just thinking about it.

The director behind this series is no other than Shinchiro Watanabe, who is responsible for brilliant action-packed series such as `Cowboy Bebop' and `Samurai Champloo', so `Kids on the Slope' is a rather different genre of anime for him to get behind. The music is also second to none, especially those amazing jazz medleys, thanks to Yoko Kanno, who has worked on `Cowboy Bebop', `Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex' and `Honey and Clover'. If you needed even more convincing, the opening song, "Sakamichi no Melody" is sung by YUKI.

Of course, if you're not big on your anime and have no idea who any of these people are, that doesn't mean this show can't be appreciated for what it is: charming, funny, emotional and an all-round enjoyable watch. There are no explosions, robots or magical girls here, so there's nothing to distract you from the relationships between characters and smooth jazz. Don't forget that smooth jazz. The only thing that could improve this series for me would be a whole episode dedicated to the jam sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another instant classic from the creator of Cowboy Bebop, 3 Sep 2013
Kriss (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
Kids on the Slope is one of the best recent anime series. Lovely romantic drama with interesting characters and full of jazz performances. Action takes place in 60's Japan and tells story of group of students, their love relationships and fascination in jazz music. Perfect series from start to finish, beautiful animation and music from Yoko Kanno. Blu-ray quality is brilliant.
There's not a lot of bad things about the series. The only problem for me is: why only 12 episodes? Wish it could last forever or at least standard 26 episode run. Anyway in it short run series tells it's story beautifully.
Well, there's another problem: awful english dubbing. Bad voice cast and poor, cheesy acting. I must admit that I like watching anime with english dubbing and I'm quite surprised that after amazing american dubbing of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, americans messed up latest work of Shinichiro Watanabe. Anyway series is period drama so should be watched in japanese with english subtitles which of course are available :)
If you love jazz and slice of life stories you'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made but too juvenile for top score., 4 Sep 2013
S. Salva (Norway) - See all my reviews
Having loved Watanabes previous projects,I had great hopes for this jazz-themed series. However I soon realized that, while very well made - especially the musical scenes - the series had a maturity level directed at teenagers. This is not a bad thing by itself, but increasingly the characters' actions became less believable and felt like a grown up's misjudged opinion about how teenagers react. Well, what do I know, I'm 40 myself...
Technically,the presentation is superb. The Blu-Ray quality is good, I didn't notice any banding (which often plagues anime products), the English subtitles were clear and seemed to follow the Japanese Audio well. I'd recommend Kids on the Slope to anyone between 10 and 18.

ARRAY(0xb77ba54c)

Kids On The Slope Collection [DVD]
Kids On The Slope Collection [DVD] by Shinichirô Watanabe (DVD - 2013)