5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
Great set and super saver delivery to Poland was quite fast (7 days), plus interesting promotional price on Amazon.
Published 10 months ago by TJK

2.0 out of 5 stars EV3 is Less for More compared to NXT
If you have an NXT the functionality increase for simple robots when upgrading to an EV3 is not worth paying for. If you don't then the EV3 is a good purchase to get the NXT virtues in a refined and more capable package - albeit with less motors and sensors. Among my personal irritations is a lack of legacy blocks for my RCX sensors and some of my NXT sensors, so far I...
Published 8 months ago by Trubshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
Building instructions for 17 robots are available on LEGO site - 5 in pdf format for standard ones shipped with the software and additional 12 in ev3 project format). I would expect pdfs to be available for download for the remaining 12 robots (I had to spend some time to convert building images extracted from .ev3 to pdf format).
EV3 brick talks fine over WiFi using additional compatible Netgear wireless USB adapter N150 / WNA1100.
Built in micro SD card slot can be used for storing projects or running alternate software (see Java SEE Embedded for LEGO EV3).
Ultrasonic sensor from NXT set (bought separately) works fine with the EV3 brick.
Please note that the Gyro sensor is only available in the educational set, not this one.

Included software containing detailed programming help is intuitive but slow on older computers.

Once played with the brick programming for a while I finally gave this EV3 set it to my 9 years old son and he has a lot of fun now (he attended a LEGO Mindstorms course before starting to play on his own - I really recommend such lessons for kids).

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven Platform, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
The LEGO Mindstorms System has been a Proven Robotics Platform for people age from 9 to 90+, since the original LEGO Mindstorms RIS Kit was released in 1998. I purchased the first of 2x LEGO Mindstorms 3804: Robotic Invention System 2.0 in early 1999. At that stage there was no Robotics System that even came close the RIS Kit flexibility and power under $5000. And I could use my existing barrow load of LEGO parts to enhance my Robot Building Capabilities....

In conjunction (perhaps because of) with the explosion of the Internet, Hackers around the world were able join together and hack the original operating System on the RIS Programmable Brick. From this sprang a large number of 'Text Based' programming Languages, such as C and Java. To LEGO's credit, they didn't send in the Lawyers, but embraced what had been achieved by the many Mindstorms users.

Prior to the release in 2006, the LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot, LEGO made the decision to make the both the NXT Programmable Brick's Software & Hardware "Open Source". This decision has allowed the NXT kit to be greatly enhanced Operating System choices, Programming Languages, as well as add-on Hardware ([...]

From 2006 to 2010, I acquired a total 6x LEGO Mindstorms NXT Kits which rarely get a days rest from use. My original RIS Kit parts, including programmable brick can be still used with my LEGO Mindstorms NXT Kits, thanks to third-party hardware add-ons. This backwards compatibility also applies to the NEW LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Kits, of which I now have 3x sets.

Why all these Mindstorms kits you ask? Well as every LEGO user knows, "You can never have too many bricks!" But chiefly the main reason besides the addiction to 'All Things LEGO' I have had for 45+ years, I find that the Mindstorms keep my aging mind active. There is the mechanical Engineering aspect, where it is always fun to pit my imagination against that of the humble LEGO Brick. Then there is the 'Black Art', that is programming. Being an ex-programmer from the 80-90's I prefer to use text-based languages, Primarily 'C' instead of the Graphical Based Language supplied with the kits. My weapon of choice is RobotC, but I also use the Open Source version of 'C' called 'NXC'.

When I see an engineering marvel in a magazine or on the television, I have to then attempt to replicate it using my LEGO Mindstorms resources. Often the building and programming for the project can span 2-3 months while I fine tune all aspects of it. Once I'm happy with my baby, I then share it with anyone who is interested via my Blog: [...] and at local LEGO Displays. I also take my Robots to local schools to help encourage the next generation of Engineers.

Nowadays, I get just as much enjoyment from sharing my creations as I do rom the building and programming process. With the majority of my Robots, I publish the Building Instructions and Programming Instructions, freely online. As the LEGO Mindstorms System is used throughout the Education system globally, I now find myself helping out a spectrum of people from Primary School children through to University Lecturers, with both their software and hardware problems. I readily receive a cry of help from a student who's Mindstorms project is due in the next morning and they have hit a brick wall. Usually an early morning exchange of emails gets them sorted.

But I'm not the only person that does is willing to help, their is an amazing community out there ready to help anyone no matter their age or education status. At your disposal are fantastic forums contributed too by many hundreds of helpful people. There are also LEGO Mindstorms base Robot Competitions for individuals and teams.

I have now come to believe that like access to a computer, every child should have access to the LEGO Mindstorms System during their education, as it has the power to enhance a child's ability to problem solve as an individual and as part of a team. I was speaking to a high school teacher of 35+ years of teaching, who said to me that it was always easy to pick out the students who had had access to LEGO during their life. He said these children have superior problem solving abilities and can think 'outside the box'.

It is thought that 75% of all LEGO Mindstorms Kit purchases are made by people over 25 and the kit is for their own personnel enjoyment. (We are all big kits at heart....)

Whether you are planning to purchase a LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 for yourself or a child, it has the power to recharge and invigorate your mind. A LEGO Mindstorms kit is a "Gym for the Brain"! So start giving those "Little grey cells" a workout, and begin building an Engineer for the Future, today!

Oh, and if you are concerned about the price? Well don't be as they hold their resale value exceedingly well! For proof, just checkout the going rate on eBay for a second-hand LEGO Mindstorms NXT Kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
This is a very sophisticated toy that is relatively simple to use. It was bought for my 10 year old son's birthday and he and his dad have really enjoyed building and programming the robot together. It even interested my teenager. Impresed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great toy for adults, 2 April 2014
P. H. Walker "twearlie" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
The development of LEGO systems continues apace and as a senior citizen, I am grateful that my 'fourth childhood' is being catered for so magnificently. The variety and usefulness of pieces is now fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - although a tad expensive, but cheaper on Amazon than Lego shop!!, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
Great quality product from Lego, is still realtively expensive but will last long time. Would prefer to have at lleast the 3 models shown with the instructions vs getting from web.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for all, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
With almost endless things to create with mindstorms sets, its worth noting that additional sensors are available to buy. These include the gyro and ultrasonic EV3 sensors (new designs these with improved functionality) that you may think are only available as part of an educational set. Ultrasonic sensor 'eyes' light to show activity. These sensors give even more possibilities of things to do. Get one more medium servo to add to your ev3 brick too. Note the EV3 servos have improved mounting options now.

Note that the EV3 redesigned sensors all have a cross mounting point in the middle of the three hole arrangement provided, some sensors have two mounts on the rear also.
Note bluetooth 2.1 is built into the brick so iOS app or Android app can be used as a control, or there is a IR remote control included in the box.
Wifi control over internet is apparently available, but an additional wifi adapter is needed, a netgear item to use in the usb port I understand. Not sure if only one type of wifi adapter is guaranteed to work with the EV3 brick or not, cant find any specifics as yet.

Brick has 4 ports, only touch sensors can be multiplied into one port, not other sensors. To get more ports you must daisy chain more EV3 bricks together......too expensive. Dont know it nxt bricks can be used for this purpose.

Nice App gives animated assembly instructions for 5 main robots on the box, but not the others that users have done and feature on the lego website.

5.0 out of 5 stars give me my son back!, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
My son saved up his money to buy this and I have to say that for Lego the cost is very high, however for the amount of play and learning he is getting from this one set it really is value for money. My son is already engineering his own designs. The computer programming element is so really clear with lots of options and instant feedback. Brilliant Lego complete genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great gift for a child or even a middle-aged person curious about robotics., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)

I hesitated between the various entry-level kits for robotics - Vex, Lego, Pi/Arduino bots and a few other kits. In the end, I decided to go with Lego EV3 and did not regret it.

The pros are ease of use, clear software and many ready examples. The visual programming software was a bit annoying (you have to line the blocks correctly which can be tricky if you use a touchpad or a poor quality mouse), but kids quickly grasped how it's done. So even though I would prefer programming using text commands, I think for an entry-level visual programming is a good start. Moreover, I later learnt how to construct "My Blocks" (basically combining parts of the program into blocks/chunks, which can be reused multiple times) and that meant that the programs would look a lot simpler visually.

There are many books/videos/online forums for going beyond the basics. For most of the programming (except the very basic) you will need access to a computer. Lego has software for both Mac OS and Windows. It will help if your computer has Bluetooth networking, otherwise you will either need to get a WiFi dongle (which is huge) or use the included USB cable. The USB cable is long enough for most basic robots, but for experiments with line-tracking the robot can go a bit far away, so it helps if you can fine-tune your programs from the computer and send the results to the robot without the need to re-attach the cable.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase (actually I bought 2 sets for the kids and one for myself) and highly recommend EV3 set!

Take note that batteries are not supplied, so if you're ordering this I would recommend getting:

i) at least 12 AA batteries (6 for use in the robot, 6 for recharging). If you're going to build a robot that uses a lot of the engine power, then make sure you have the spare battery set. Otherwise you'll sit around waiting for the batteries to recharge, which spoils the fun. (I got Amazon Basics batteries and they work well!)

ii) battery recharger (this one works well for me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IZBAV00/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A28QVT3E6UV0FU)

iii) 2 AAA batteries (these are for the infrared remote, if you want you can get additional 2 AAA batteries, but the batteries on the remote last for a long time because they do not power any motors).

PS: if you're thinking whether to buy Home or Education version, I would recommend getting the home version (unless cost is not a factor). Then, supplement it with the Education expansion set for EV3 and you'll get a lot more in terms of details.

PPS: Once you figure out the basics, you will want to experiment with other sensors. For line-following I get terrific results when I add a second colour sensor. For most tasks requiring accurate measurements of distance, you will need to get the ultrasonic sensor. You can use the infrared sensor for distance measurements, but it's not very accurate and my robot once fell off the table due to incorrect reading of the height.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have LEGO set for anyone interested in engineering, LEGO, Technic, fun and generally making stuff work! Rewarding!, 8 Aug 2014
Mr. S. Davies (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
Awesome piece of tech that I wish was available when I was growing up! Although, I do believe we never stop learning and growing! Marries my three favourite things, technical lego, computers and robots! I would urge any parent to give this to a child that seems interested in how things work or building things. The Android and iPad apps work brilliantly across bluetooth (I haven't tried it with a wifi dongle yet). There is a huge community behind the various LEGO windstorms models and people are constantly providing examples of their ingenuity with instructions on how to reproduce their creations. The build instructions that come with the kit are limited to the very basic model, but that is just about right where you want to start! It's not difficult to build, the instructions are clear and pretty soon you will have a robot that will be remote controllable by IR and Bluetooth, or can be set off on a pre-destined program. Your imagination certainly starts to feel like the limit with this kit. There appear to be extension packs available and extra servos, motors, parts and controllers.... I have yet to get around to programming the brick yet, but I am salivating at the prospect being a software developer myself :) (Although you don't need to be to design the logic as there is a perfectly intuitive looking program for building up logic routines - again not fully tried it, but am raring to go this weekend)

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs PC/Laptop for full use, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3 (Toy)
This is a superb kit with endless hours of fun and hard work ahead. My only small complaint is how much it relies on online content. For the price of this kit I think LEGO should have supplied a lot more printed material, both additional building instructions and a manual for the GUI driven programming environment. It's true that all of this is available on line with loads of additional building materials and help for the programming stuff but it should be made very clear from the outset that you need a PC or laptop all the time that you want to be playing/"working" with this kit.

My only other gripe would be that many of the instructions get you building something that it "remote controlled" rather than being autonomous. This is a big distinction in the world of robotics and I can understand why LEGO wants to get you building something that looks cool and reacts at your command but I think more emphasis should be put on using the sensors to do more of the control.

Don't take this as a negative review, this really is a fantastic kit and the true value is that you will only get more out of the kit with time as you get more proficient with building and programming. So far, the community looks pretty good and I hope it will get better as time progresses.

LEGO Mindstorms 31313: EV3