5.0 out of 5 stars Throwing some light on the slight flaw...possibly
Re T. Phillip's (otherwise excellent) review, I think the flaw in the saxophone sound is natural mouthpiece noise. As a source of irritation it's on a par with Keith Jarrett's grunts or too much fret noise in a guitar performance, in other words what you sometimes have to put up with when you want to experience greatness. Whether ECM could or should have engineered it out...
Published 19 months ago by P. Duffy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..background noise issue
Published 9 months ago by J. Brien

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply splendid.My favorite singer on my favorite label., 18 Mar 2013
Azoic (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercus (MP3 Download)
Little more can be said of the June Tabor/Huw Warren catalog of collaboration that has not already been expressed.This effort is a dream come true for me as the exemplary German ECM label has elected to release a effort by ,whom I believe ,is an international treasure.Any words that I might elect to use to describe this cd can only trivialize over an hour of non-translatable ,quintessential beauty . Mature,understated,topical,romantic and relevant material from one of the best,smartest vocalists and two of the most appropriate accompanists on the planet.For fans of Sandy Denny,Nico,Niamh Parsons,Keith Jarrett,Richie Beirach,Olivia Chaney,Ralph Vaughan-Williams,and John Dowland.Thank you ECM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 8 Oct 2014
Blodwen (Welsh Borders) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
Absolutely spine chillingly beautiful.
I have been a June Tabor fan for 20 years. This combination is pure genius with
Iain Bellamy & Huw Warren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but slightly flawed, 3 April 2013
T. Phillips (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I am still giving this album five stars, because it is a beautiful piece of work, but it has a flaw.

I'm a June Tabor "completist" and have been for years. The tracks here are typical of the stuff she was doing in concert six or seven years ago. The sleeve says it was "recorded live March 2006" but this is not one of those live albums full of audience applause etc. Had the sleeve not said "Live", you'd probably never have known. From a quick check, I think June has only covered two of the tracks here elsewhere. This is Always is on the rare "Some Other Time" album and on the "Always" 4 CD set, and there's a version of As I Roved Out on her BBC recordings. The rest are "new".

The quality of the recorded vocals and Huw Warren's piano is flawless. Why do I pick out just those two? Because sadly it seems that during the recording process, there was a flaw with the microphone on Iain Bellamy's saxophones. This gives rise to a quite persistent buzzing sound when these are high in the mix, or the featured instrument. There's probably a technical term for it, and it does seem volume-related. I find it amazing that this should have escaped the attention of whoever was on the mixing desk. The fault arises on several tracks, suggesting that these were all from a single concert. It's a fault that certainly doesn't ruin the album, but once it's there, you know it's there, unfortunately. I've mentioned it in case anyone thinks it's just their ears or their player.

4.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE..., 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
As I've said before - this is beautiful music.

After initially giving up halfway through track 2 and awarding it one star I now understand (thanks for the explanation) I'm hearing a naturally occuring sound of the sax reed. To my ears, when it's sat behind the voice it appears to distort it aswell - which I then put down to poor recording equipment/production somewhere along the line.

What I'd say is - be aware of this. Personally I'd still find (apparent) artifacts on a Blue Ray film 'distracting' even though others may explain and appreciate it's authenticity.

In summary, it's beautiful but could be (just occasionally) distracting for we musical hoi polloi.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2006 recording/2013 release ..., 5 April 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
For completists - like me/my wife - only...

Generally a fine product if you - like us - must have June Tabor stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..background noise issue, 2 Feb 2014
J. Brien (Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to this recording, after hearing June Tabor at Cambridge Folk Festival and having loved her voice for years. However, the first time I listened to it I couldn't help but be really quite annoyed by the background 'slurping' which has been noted by other reviewers...and I can't see why it wasn't edited out. I am all in favour of live recordings, but I have never heard so much reed/water noise in my life ( and I am a freelance musician, playing mostly classical gigs but with experience of mics, amplification etc). To be perfectly honest, those tracks are ruined for me, and I only listen to the cd in the car as background, which is really not where June Tabor ought to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 Oct 2014
as expected

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I am not sure if I like June Tabor singing jazz especially when the musicians seem to take over.
I love her singing ballads

2.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
What a disappointment. The quality of the music is superb, the quality of recording dismal. The saxophone solos destrow any ambiance produced, just by distortion alone. Whether this is due to poor mastering, microphone technique or cheap recording studio I do not know. Everything else produced by Ms Tabor I have loved (althogh in a very downbeat Coenish sort of way), but this album is unlistenable. I gave it away to someone I didn't like very much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›