5.0 out of 5 stars The Quiet Strength of the Oak
I heard this album playing in a record store - there are still some around, fortunately - and was immediately captivated by the singer's voice. I was intrigued by the title too; Quercus is of course the latin name for oak. I wanted to know more about this record.

The song which was playing turned out to be the first on the album, Lassie Lie Near Me, a setting...
Published 15 months ago by JB

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..background noise issue
I was really looking forward to this recording, after hearing June Tabor at Cambridge Folk Festival and having loved her voice for years. However, the first time I listened to it I couldn't help but be really quite annoyed by the background 'slurping' which has been noted by other reviewers...and I can't see why it wasn't edited out. I am all in favour of live recordings,...
Published 5 months ago by J. Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars Quercus is a magnificent OAK TREE!, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I was new to the group Quercus and new to June Tabor, but listening to Jazz FM one Friday evening, I was brought up short, held my breath, as I heard what turned out to be the last track on this CD. The music was SO beautiful. I looked her up on the web on u-tube and listened to she different versions of her singing. Then I bought this Quercus so I could listen over and again to ALL the tracks on the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantatsic, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
One of the best albums this for sure.

Great ECM sound and performances. But it is the songs and music that are so magical.

Up with the best of ECM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite superb.Buy with confidence., 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
A quite superb album from the best folk artist in Britain.
Why it has taken so long to release it is a mystery (it was recorded in 2006).
Every track is a gem.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I won't spend time repeating much of what has been said here already. Cross-fertilisations are often stillborn. Not here. This music flourishes and explores, sometimes dramatically often surprisingly but always with immense reward to the listener. Hearing this live would be so enjoyable. Simply buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fusion, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I am often irked by musicians' attempts to invent ever more audacious fusions that often don't work for me. Mixing gamelan percussion with hip-hop or Mongolian nose-flute with Irish bagpipes may sound like a great idea to someone, but the result is iften less than the sum of the parts. "Quercus" takes a simple idea: June Tabor's ethereal voice accompanied simply by Huw Warren's circle-spinning piano and the jazz saxophone of Ian Ballamy blend to produce a sublime sound. Although known as a folk-singer, June has often inclined to jazz and the bridge that she builds here between the two genres works for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I demand a recount!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I was astonished that this wasn't a clear winner in the UK jazz critics polls of 2013 (although it did chart somewhere in many of them). For me this was the runaway best jazz record of 2013. I think jazz should be rooted in and draw nourishment from the culture in which it Is made and not be an imitation if what is happening elsewhere. This record is sublime. It fuses and balances folk, classical-pastoral and early music with jazz improvisation. The result is a pastoral jazz in which virtuoso performances from all participants are in the service of musicality not showing off. Like some other reviewers, I do detect some distortion in the sound that you wouldn't usually expect from ECM (for me it is in the vocals). However, this doesn't detract from what is a magnificent record. I hope there will be others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I never tire of playing this CD. It is beautiful and I was delighted to receive it as a gift. Enough said!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two ears and a brain, 3 Feb 2014
G. Claffey "the eminent" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
I was first stunned by hearing June Tabor on John Peel's radio show in the late 70's. She has simply become more magnificent as the decades pass. It is a stark beauty that she creates but I cannot think of any musician who moves me more. Her version of "The Lads in their Hundreds" here is immensely powerful. If you ever get a chance to see her live, do so and sit and listen. After using your two ears and your brain you may well find your heart aches and your eyes weep. Her colleagues Warren and Ballamy know what magic is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Quercus (MP3 Download)
This album is as good as the reviews say it is. Buy it! It's really that good. Enjoy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Quercus (Audio CD)
As always June Tabor reaches the depths of a song like no other singer. The interplay between voice and instruments is amazine. We saaw June, Huw and Iain in Leeds in c.2006 and some of these songs were included then. I could easliy put All I Ask on permanent repeat. Like another reviewer, I occasionally find the buzzing on the sax off-putting but it still does not stop me from giving the CD 5 stars. MORE of the same and SOON please, June!

Quercus