5.0 out of 5 stars Aurora: Darwin
Published 18 months ago by Mary

3.0 out of 5 stars An intersting read . . .
Published 10 months ago by SteveR

3.0 out of 5 stars An intersting read . . ., 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
Set in the near future, the plot of the book is feaseable and thought provoking without being totally silly. In my view though the book is badly let down - the first is the distinct feminism axe the author seems to want to grind all the way through the book. The stance is very 20th century and not 21st century even in the last few pages of the book when the Captain is told to pick his own crew, but use the women as bait . . . I had thought we as a western society - and that of the author had moved on from these prejudices. Certainly the author's prejudices could have been better crafted and presented. The second is a swipe at the current blame and accoutability society we live in. Perhaps after such a hard core scifi story this should just have been left out - it certainly did not add anything to the story

But other than that, it is a good "hard" scifi story, unlike much of the modern pulp we are presented with - real people with real problems, a crew adjusting to new comers (poorly put together because of the author's axe) facing an unknown problem. Yes there are holes in the plot, but they don't detract from the story, well not too much.

Will I read book 2 in the series? Not sure because I susect large chunks could be similar to this book and I'm not sure I really want to read that again. I have also read similar series and not sure because the way this story ends suggests what will happen in the next - perhaps the author shouldn't have attempte tieing up so many loose strings and opening threads for the next book in the closing pages.

But do enjoy reading this and make your mind up for yourself, after all 1 man's meat is a woman's poison as the author would have you believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aurora: Darwin, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
Just finished this book. The further I got into it, the more I wanted to read. Sci-Fi is not my usual genre when it comes to choosing books, but the advertising blurb reeled me in: "The lights are off. But somebody is home." Sounded great! And such was the case. When the feisty Carrie Wells boards the Aurora for the mission of a lifetime, not only does she have to overcome the prejudices of an all-male crew, but has to eventually fight for her very survival against a foe more evil than she could have dreamed possible. The danger and the evil she, and her crew mates, encounter is completely credible, which makes it all the more compelling to read.

The author displays a great aptitude for writing action sequences, they were excellent, and she has nailed the dialogue which, as you would expect between a crew of young, super fit elite, experts in their fields, was often fast and clever and the banter witty. She has also displayed good character development and I look forward to meeting these characters again if she publishes another book in this genre (and I hope she does).

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a freebie from kindle and my my first read of the space sci-fi genre and loved it. The characters are cleverly written and I felt that I was right there with them all, living and feeling the emotions they were having. Captain Harris reminds me of Adama from Battlestar Galactica with his quietness and devotion to the welfare of his crew. When on Darwin you very much sense the unknown and the fear of searching in the dark, not knowing what was around the next corner. Off to buy my first space sci-fi book now to continue with the Aurora's next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 11 Jan 2014
Oldbaldbob (Tipton, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
Defiantly a 5 star rating. The from start to finish a well told story full of interesting characters. I grew to know each one thanks to Amanda's writing. The action sequences were well written, with just enough gore. Can't wait until the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 30 Dec 2013
A. Thomson "Alistair" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, at first I thought the introduction of the characters and their build up was a bit slow but as the Aurora and crew closed in on their mission the anticipation built. When the crew reached the space station the action started and I couldn't put the book down. Great characters and gripping story, I'm looking forward to the next book, bring it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't stop reading this and now I cannot wait for the next book in the series. The characters are all likable and written with great personalities. The universe is amazing and the story itself, Darwin, left me worried for the outcome. Really enjoyable and the writing style is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping good read, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled upon this and I'm really glad I did. A really exciting debut. Lets hope she is a fast writer because I can't wait for the next one to come out.

Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1)
Aurora: Darwin (Aurora 1) by Amanda Bridgeman