5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book
Having bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed, I was faced with the problem encountered by many in that the operating system is completely different to anything I had used before.
This book is a brilliant reference manual and appears to cover everything it's necessary to know about operating Windows 8.
It is a very comprehensive manual running to some 900...
Published 20 months ago by Dave B

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not DOS!
Still struggling with Windows 8 this book has helped to understand the mysteries of Metro v Window XP, 7 & Android. Clear explanations, hints examples. Hasn't stopped me downloading freeware "Start Button" which the book advises as well!
Published 14 months ago by Anendtune

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 22 April 2013
It is a very comprehensive manual running to some 900 pages and can be dipped into to solve any problem encountered.
Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential purchase - for me, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Windows 8: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
Quite simply, without this book I would have probably abandoned W8 and gone back to my W7 "comfort zone".
in their wisdom, Microsoft have decided to provide NO documentation to get people started. It may be intuitive to some, but not to me, "The Missing Manual" was an essential purchase for me.

it has enough information to get a complete beginner started and in part 2 the tekkie bits which allow a more experienced person to make the most of the new OS. I chose the e-book version, but if you like to use a highlighter pen to mark sections, I suggest getting the paper version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, 21 May 2013
Delivery etc all good. A large book also useful for stunning muggers. The shear size of the book shows you the changes that come with Win8. I have only used for reference purposes so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes...this IS the manual that should have shipped with the software..., 26 Jun 2013
North American Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Windows 8: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
The Missing Manual series might be the standard-bearer for providing beleaguered technology consumers with the comprehensive user guides needed to stay afloat in feature-dense products. The operating system is arguably the place where those consumers deserve the most assistance, and also the place we are often left to our own devices to figure out.

David Pogue has delivered again with "Windows 8: The Missing Manual". A copy of this book (in print or on a Kindle) will help make your long-term relationship with Windows 8 (whether voluntary or forced) a better one.

The book's 28 chapters are presented in seven broad topical categories to help demystify Windows 8:
(1) Tile World (addresses the Metro interface in detail)
(2) Windows Desktop
(3) Windows Online
(4) Pictures and Music
(5) Hardware and peripherals
(6) PC Health
(7) The Windows Network
(8) Appendices (including an excellent one on installation paths; perhaps simpler under Windows Eight, but one that lets you know exactly what you features you might sacrifice depending on your choices). Also of note is the final appendix, a master list of of gestures (mouse and touch-screen driven) and keyboard shortcuts.

In addition to the contents of the book, it has an online companion "missing CD-ROM" site that includes links to freeware and shareware mentioned in the book.

Although sometimes David Pogue can get a little too breezy in trying to address the obvious annoyances of Windows 8, his overall effort in this book effectively addresses the needs of both power users and novices.

This is one of a small handful of "must have" Windows 8 references on my shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 5 Sep 2013
I found this book a tremendous help as a 'dip-in' reference. I did not enjoy using Windows 8 at all initially (and still prefer Windows 7) but this book was a life saver and I would recommend it to anyone who is experiencing a 'painful' transition to Windows 8 from an earlier version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Aug 2013
What Windows 8 should provide...but of course does not. Comprehensive coverage, but not too technical - about the right balance. If I did not have this book, I would be re-formatting my hard disk and re-installing Windows 7! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars New computer. How to use., 28 July 2013
Excellent book. Index very good. Something missed will be hard to find.
Another thick tome from library did not compare.

R Langley Potters Bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals), 8 Nov 2013
Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have lost track of how many of the 'missing manual' books I possess. 'Windows 8 - the missing manual' is my latest acquisition because I needed a reliable reference for my new Windows 8 based PC. Microsoft publications tend to be more expensive and offer little more detail for the money. The Missing Manual series do frequently provide background information not found in any other publication and being technically-minded I am drawn to this type of book.

Until a few weeks ago I had not used a Windows PC for several years. I am a Macintosh man: 1985 to present. My previous PC was Windows XP-based, which I also used professionally for many years. I have never used Vista or Windows 7 (W7) so I was expecting a steep learning curve and I needed access to information quickly that was both accurate and not too technical, hence my purchase of W8 - the missing manual.

This is a large book, about 2-inches thick, which I use regularly as a reference. It's distinctive green cover means I can spot it anywhere and it is not the kind of book to lose. I have other W8 books but this is 'the' reference and certainly the most authoritative.

Books can be very expensive and choosing the best value-for-money publications is important, not least because operating systems are frequently upgraded. I have already placed an order for W8.1 - the missing manual, which hopefully will be a slimmer volume to complement my latest acquisition.

Surprisingly my Apple MacOS bias has not been a hindrance towards learning W8, which I have found more intuitive than previous Windows operating systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 6 Nov 2013
I needed some help making the jump from XP to Windows 8 and this has really helped. Lots of practucal advice and detail. A very good refrerence book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8: The Missing Manual, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Windows 8: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if it's the missing manual (except for the fact that Windows 8 comes with very poor help built-in!) but certainly this easily read book has answered all the questions I have had during my first foray into Windows 8.
I have the Kindle Edition so that I can quickly check for answers from my Kindle App on iPhone or tablet without having to carry the book around. I have not read it from cover to cover but instead have done as many other will do I suspect and simply dipped in and searched for answers whenI need them and it works well in that context.
A worthwhile purchase.