5.0 out of 5 stars severe crush
It was with Iggy's track "Fancy" that i sat up and took notice of Charli Xcx.....I have to admit it was based on largely on "wow whose that stunning brunette who oozes charisma?"
Published 7 months ago by mister joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Charli XCX-True Romance
Published 9 months ago by BorChab

5.0 out of 5 stars severe crush, 26 May 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
Her contribution for me is what makes that song.I am not sure if Charli wrote that song but I wouldn't be surprised as she has previously proved her hit making potential with Icona Pops ubiquitous marmite like "I Love It".Both insanely catchy and annoying.
Anyway before purchasing album I watched a few of her videos the main one being You [ha ha ha]....good golly I developed a massive crush on her.
Was You [ha ha ha]a hit?If not that has to be the biggest hit single there never was.
True Romance is a great frothy,pop album with a nice lick of edge...massive wall breaking choruses.Charli is a very talented girl who has big things ahead....big star material.
I have album on now and How Can I is playing which is heavily indebted production wise to those ultra cool dungeon dwellers Salem.Love Cloud Aura,Take My Hand,Stay Away.....
Us punters have to remember [if you view this as her debut]Charli is at the beginning of her career.It surprises me how some can seem overtly critical.I suppose nowadays it's a live or die culture where an artist can be chewed up and spat out swiftly.
Lordy has anyone heard the debut albums of Blur or David Bowie?
True Romance is most certainly not of that ilk.It's a strong,sassy albumfull of attitude and displays a real talent for song writing.
And that's what it's ultimately about.I mean it helps being beautiful to look at of course.
The girl from Stevenage has done good baby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charli XCX-True Romance, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
I was supposed to love this, capital "L". All of the descriptors that floated around Charli's music on various media sources-dark, catchy, atmospheric, gothic, electronic-seemed like they were hand picked from my internal checklist. Her album made year end lists. Popjustice and Muumuse, two sites that I usually find reliable with this sort of thing, praised it into high heavens. I decided to take a chance on True Romance, having done so a few times in the past and finding the risk well worth it. This time round though, I wasn't as lucky: in my opinion this is, at best, a fairly average debut.

There's no big, fundamental flaw with this record that seeps into everything and makes the album crumble apart; rather, it's the small bits that pick away at it and take away from the enjoyment. For one thing, in spite of only two songs clocking in at over 4 minutes and the whole thing being a scant 47 minutes long, I find it oddly laborious to listen to the whole set in one go. It certainly starts off promising, with three of the first four tracks being immensely likeable and interesting. "Take my hand" is probably my favourite, with its ecstatic synth stabs and giddily percolating effects higlighting Charli's euphoria, but "Stay away" is not far behind, a dark, brooding piece with ominous metallic percussion, a true melancholic highlight. But, somewhere near the mid point, there's a noticeable dip in quality, and by the time the last three cuts (among the strongest of the bunch) come around, it's far too late to salvage the mission. There's great stuff here-about half of the tracks are pretty awesome. The rest? Not so much. Charli's voice is fine enough: the anguish in the pre-chorus of "Set me free" is almost palpable, the echoing parts in "Grins" are heavenly, the sweetness in her voice in the closer "Lock you up" undeniable. But, more often than not, she insists on delivering her lyrics in a hushmouthed, half-spoken half-sung style that often leaves the words unintelligible. The transitions between her different vocal styles can be very jarring, and the murky, fuzzy production sometimes ends up swallowing everything up into a thick, cluttered mess that makes it hard to appreciate any of the song's elements on their own. My worst offenders on this record in general are "So far away", which just limps unimpressively from start to finish, and "What I like", which has a brief intro that is far more interesting than the entirety of the rest of the song.

I'm not trying to savage True Romance, nor am I against the artist in any way. Charli XCX is still very young, and this is her debut. It's pleasant enough pop, it's catchy, and when it hits the mark, it can be quite wonderful. But, as far as her status as "the next big thing" and media hyperboly are concerned, I'm not sold. It's not great, it's not horrible, it's just OK, and not really my cup of tea at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air :), 12 May 2013
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
Like the title says, I think Charli's debut album is a breath of fresh air in the otherwise dreary world of music and love songs.

This record has many different sounds to it but I would definitely class it as Alternative/Pop. It features the previous singles: Nuclear Seasons, You're the one, You (Ha Ha Ha) and the current single: What I Like.

You can tell that each song is well written in its own right and sends out the messages of Charli's experiences when it comes to love. It's nice to hear songs about love that are different from the mainstream and this record does this perfectly. It even features a collaboration with Rapper/Photographer: Brooke Candy.

For me, the main standout track on this record is Stay Away.

I love this album and can't recommend it enough. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great feel to these songs!, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: True Romance [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Charli composes her songs with real feeling and texture. She deserves recognition - hope there's another album in store. Love 'Stay Away'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better!, 1 Nov 2013
Mr. David A. Allen (Leeds, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
Saw Charli XCX supporting Coldplay at Manchester and was impressed enough to buy the album once it was released. There are some great hooks and rhythms, but this is spoilt by some very muggy production and lots of unnecessary interludes. Definitely talented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie XCX...The album of 2013 (thus far)..., 30 May 2013
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
True ROmance is a debut album that showcases an artist so inspired by Pop music and Pop culture she has immersed herself and brought her passions into a contemporary world from that dimension.

Just listening through this album, the vocal styles, imagery, sounds/sonics, lyrics really echo and mirror aspects of Madonna, Depeche Mode, Debbie Harry, Siouxsie & The Banshees...and often in one song....its a powerful union of heroes and sounds from Pop and Rock that worlds so well...with this Indietronica/New Wave/Dark Wave/Synth driven record....it opens up so many beautiful layers.

It makes you think, man, loads of these underground singers are kinda like the "new pioneers" for the current generation....the leaders of mainstream music in the 1970s, 80s, 90s are now the more underground artists of today...especially in the UK...here with Charli, and Florence Welch, Little Boots, Laura Marling, Ellie goulding, Marina Diamandis.....so many talented/inspired ladies of the past moving from one dimension into another...and in many ways that is what makes True ROmance so powerful....it echoes to the aforementioned artists styles/content/power and pushes different territories too.

To conclude Charli XCX is a very inspried artist for a Tumblr dominated world consumed in social media...but also she has a mass appeal about her...she taps into her inner Madonna, Siouxsie Sioux and Dave Gahan and explodes something truly rich, dark and beautiful...well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Debut, deserves Stardom, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
Very good debut, obviously she's since became famous for 'I Don't Care' and 'Fancy', but songs released since this album by/with her I feel haven't been on par with some on this album. Very cool production, more alternative than the stuff she's widely known for.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album big future ahead for Charli me thinks pity ..., 27 July 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
great album big future ahead for Charli me thinks pity her version of wild in the country by bow wow wow isn't on it , by the way absolutely stunning live opened T in The Park and was teriffic

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this CD, 19 July 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
I really like this CD. Music is catchy with an electronic, pop and atmospheric vein throughout. Charli XCX's voice is powerful and clear. I would definitely recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: True Romance (Audio CD)
I bought this cd for my daughter and she loves it.

True Romance
True Romance by Charli XCX (Audio CD - 2013)