5.0 out of 5 stars Take your position.
Find out how difficult ballet is. I am not a ballet aficionado I saw the trailer and decided to give the DVD a try.
Would highly recommend especially for any aspiring ballet dancers. Recommended. Glad I bought it.
Terry.C.
Published 19 months ago by Mr. T. S. Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
We couldn't watch it on our tv. Not possible to view in our area it wrote. This should be mentoned before people order.
Published 16 months ago by luisa giannini

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Take your position., 13 Dec 2012
Terry.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching and moving film - overcoming adversity., 21 Jun 2013
Philip Herring "vaslav" (soudley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
This touching film is as moving for the human stories and relationships as for the quality of the dancing performed by the four girls and two boys,competing in the Youth America Grand Prix.Neither are we spared the heart-break of their mistakes and failures; their handling of tension, stress, disappointment, injury and prejudice;their poor,battered feet and the foot-stretching torture to produce that beautiful convex instep! However, we are more than uplifted by the sensitive interactions between pupils and teachers and the devotion and unfailing support of both parents.Skate-boarding comedian, Aran,11,full of joy and passion, has a military Dad based in Italy,where he trains. The father of Miko and Jules approves of the beneficial effects on the family life-style. Joan Sebastian,although adored and missed (he trains in N.Y.)is pushed by his parents, with Dad advising it's the only way to escape from the poor neighbourhood of Colombia where they live. The foster parents of Michaela rescued her as an orphan from the civil war in Sierra Leone (where her parents and teacher were killed)and brought her back to Philadelphia.They have devoted themselves to fulfilling her dream of becoming a 'delicate' black dancer, inspired by the image of a ballerina she saw on the cover of a dance magazine. Miko,12, and Jules,10, are driven by their ambitious,Japanese Mum (also a competent pianist) who pays for additional private tuition. Her influence has a very good effect on one child but more negative results on the other. She is clearly fulfilling a dream,as is the mother of Joan Sebastian,who describes herself as a 'frustrated ballerina'. Although it was 'weird' for a boy to be a ballet dancer in Colombia, she overcame her qualms. Joan Sebastian himself wants to emulate Carlos Acosta at the Royal Ballet but he also strives for the sake of his parents. We are so wrapped up in the fortunes of these young dancers that by the time we reach the awards ceremony at the end of the film you are desperate for them to receive a medal, scholarship or contract. This is an indication of how the clever crafting of this film has worked on you. Given that the Prix de Lausanne and the YAGP are so rarely televised, this revealing film is even more valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful documentary film, 28 May 2013
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
a wonderful inspiring documentary film about competitors from round the world in the lead up to a US ballet competition final... moving and heart felt stories in the attempt to win not just prizes but, much more coveted: scholarships for ballet schools round the world... not just for ballet fans, but for anyone who has had a dream, it's a thoroughly entertaining film..

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in ballet..., 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
...you will like this inspiring DVD! I can watch it over and over again. If you are a dancer, or just interested in dance you should watch this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Viewing, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent film/documentary, highly recommended for all ballet lovers. You can also catch up with the dancers on youtube to see what they're doing now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
I was very keen to buy this as soon as it came out. It is interesting but perhaps dragged on a little bit. Wonderful standard of dance and informative but definitely a documentary - I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for very easy viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars So inspiring., 1 May 2014
Mrs A K (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
I am a ballet teacher and had my eye on this film for a while so, when a couple of my students recommended it I sat down to watch it. I say 'sat down' but in reality I sat for 5 minutes and then got up and stretched while watching it. You simply can't sit and do nothing while watching these wonderfully talented kids work so hard. It's incredibly inspiring. You really invest in each story and hope they can all achieve their dream (sadly of course, that's unlikely.) I have recommended it to all my students, and funnily enough, some have watched it before coming to class, and then really blown me away with how hard they're working! Fantastic film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 7 Feb 2014
R. Sara Mairi "worm" (hong kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
This is just the sort of series I love . allet is my passion. People are my passion.
I just needed longer performances Sometimes items were cut a bit short ( for me).

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave this as a gift to two dancers I know, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
Even though I'm not this kind of dancer, I can appreciate the drama these kids go through, the dedication, the dedication on the part of their parents to make their dreams come true. The film tells each story in a way that the viewer becomes attached to each child. Besides the excellent storytelling, I liked it because it showed how fate works: an idea comes to a child because this is how their life is meant to be, out of a village in Colombia into a world dance arena, out of an orphanage in Africa brought by a photo of a ballerina. It's inspiring and shows me I'm on the right path no matter what.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: First Position [DVD] (DVD)
Wow how hard do these kids train, great documentary about gifted young dancers. The featured dancers were all charming without any of the spoilt or bratty examples you would expect.
Enjoyable even if you are not into ballet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

First Position [DVD]
First Position [DVD] by Bess Kargman (DVD - 2013)