on 29 September 2013
I read this book due to the fact that i had never read any of her work before, but i kept on hearing about her.
I saw an interview on Youtube where she briefly spoke about Ghana. Being Ghanaian it was only natural for me to read this.
A fantastic book detailing her stay in Ghana. Written in simple to read & humourous character standpoint.
There were powerful moments placed all over the book. I particularly enjoyed the moment she described Muhammad Ali & Malcom X almost fighting, due to Malcom X leaving Elijah Muhammad & The Nation...... Great bit of History on Ghanaian Soil.
on 20 November 2011
The books of Maya Angelou are a joy written with humour sympathy and some very understandable anger.
Why can't everyone write like her wonderful.
on 2 October 2011
bought for my mum, she loves the series - this book met her expectations and probably exceeded them too :)
on 5 April 2016
I can only give praise to her works an excellent writer. A very good read,
on 16 May 2015
Bought for my mother's birthday. A great book from an author we'll miss.
on 21 August 2013
A unique perspective on a very interesting part of Ghana's history, incredibly well written and very readable. But as a mixed race, multicultural person I found the author's expectation that she somehow wouldn't feel like an outsider in Ghana, just because she had the same colour skin...........bizarre and perhaps a little masochistic.
on 19 March 2015
Totally amazing woman with a great life story.
on 21 June 2014
The books are very readable and well written. They have an historical value as well, which is why i gave a five star rating. I have read all but the last so far.

My opinion about injustice remains the same; I hate it.

The book bears out my opinion about the various races of people around the world also remains the same: there are good, kind and decent people in all the races and cultures of the world. There are also bigots and bad people from all races of the world. I hate racism and persecution from any quarter.
on 24 November 2015
on 24 September 2014
I'm a fan of Maya Angelou and this book didn't disappoint! You feel caught up in a really gripping way when she chooses to live in Africa for a while. Admittadly she wanted to be with her son who was recovering from an accident but she was able to live and, indeed, work there. I am not strong on politics but some important issues were touched on and it did not put me off. A great read.