on 17 March 2013
This is a fantastic book, beautifully written and illustrated and full of great recipes.It has a wide range of dishes you can make ahead of a party, or just cook and pop in the freezer for later. There are traditional family favourites,like stew and dumplings, lasagne and a very tasty fish pie, as well as some more exotic meals - I particularly like the lemongrass pork curry. It has a section on classic standbys, including sauces and gravy and then a really handy "freezer 101" appendix, that covers all the basics of cooking and freezing food, and how best to use and maintain your freezer.
This is a great modern cook book, written by someone who really understands food, and is a must have for busy people or anyone who wants to plan a bit in advance and then benefit from having excellent dishes ready to go, straight from the freezer.
on 22 March 2013
This book is brilliant! All the recipes I have tried so far are truly delicious, and on their own earn “Freeze” a centre stage place on the kitchen bookshelf. But the fact that there are clear instructions on how to cook many of the recipes from start to finish in advance and then freeze them, so that you can get in from a long day and still produce a feast within the hour simply by walking from your freezer to your oven, means that it if you are only going to get one cookery book this year, I’d get this one. The cooking instructions are easy to follow without being patronizing, and there is a lovely variety of dishes in there: delicious successes so far have been the smoked haddock and spinach bake, chicken in creamy tarragon sauce and the scrunchy lemon and lime tart. There’s also loads of information about freezing just about everything, all written in a very engaging and readable way. If you’ve got an oven and a freezer in your kitchen - and that covers pretty much everyone - I’d recommend this book to you.
on 5 September 2014
This is an excellent book. Not only the recipes, buts lots of handy tips and good ideas. I have been using a freezer for many years but had never heard of flat freezing to save space. Also the idea of using silicone containers to open freeze and pop out to store in bags is new to me. The recipes are a good variety for general family cooking and the illustrations are well done. This is not just a cook book. I disagree with the comments and two star awards! It is almost an encyclopaedia of freezing.
on 17 February 2015
I like the layout of this book. Recipes whic, although quite basic, provide good standby diashes for the freezer. The section at the back is excellent. Full of useful advice & tips on how to maximise the use of your freezer. I have an old copy of "food Freezing at Home", circa 1963, which gives the nuts & bolts but this book is bang up to date and much more modern in it's approach. The cover photo mystifies me though; why you would want to freeze meringue I can't imagine as it keeps perfectly well for ages in an airtight container. Maybe it's to illustrate the raspberries of which I have a freezer full.
on 19 March 2013
I was delighted to discover this book which is now sitting on my book shelf ( I love the polka dot spine). The storage ideas are particularly useful for making the most of my smallish freezer and any supermarket offers. I cant wait to try all the delicious looking recipes, if the first few recipes are anything to go by the family are in for some real treats. Its great to know that as a mum with a full on week my bases are covered when it comes to catering for any weekend dinner parties too.
on 22 March 2013
I don't normally buy recipe books but this really caught my attention - the basic freezing information and techniques are very clear and have taken out the myths and dangers of freezing food. In addition, it will certainly help me to sort out my rather disorganised freezer and take the stress out of dinner parties, as well as organising the weekly family suppers.
on 29 March 2013
'FREEZE' is a fabulous book. Satisfying to look at and hold, it's full of great information to give your freezer a makeover and its tasty, straightforward recipes are perfect for everyday meals and special occasions. Definitely a good companion for all cooks!
on 12 March 2014
I highly recommend this book. It is very well laid out, and all of the recipes are accessible. Since using the book, I have found that I am more organised and there is more variety with family meals, plus there is always a tasty dish in the freezer...I never have to say "what am I going to cook for supper". My husband hates ready made meals, so now I have the perfect solution, a selection of good wholesome no nonsense meals that even he can heat up!.. After using the book, I have been inspired to buy a new, and much bigger freezer and I am itching to get cooking to fill it up! There is plenty of information on freezing a variety of foods that you would never have thought about. The author clearly has great knowledge and has presented the book beautifully. If I was only allowed one cookery book it would be this one..
on 8 January 2015
I read the reviews but still thought this recipe book would be good. It is great for helpful tips on freezing but, for me at least, was fairly poor on the recipes. Great idea - recipes divided into quick fixes, meals for one, family meals, entertaining, which I found really helpful. Less useful - there are only 9 recipes in meals for one (one of which is chilli and another bolognese). There are now calorie/fat/protein counts for any of the recipes. As examples of a recipes she gives that don't a freezer, she gives a recipe for sausage pasta when it only takes 30 mins from fresh and a recipe for sausage and mash with onion gravy. If you have a sweet tooth, this may be a fab book - she gives recipes for both puddings and cakes/cookies (23 recipes). Bizarrely, she also explains how to freeze sandwiches and olives - this may help some people but was not for me. I would have liked a lot more stew and soup recipes to put in portions and freeze - that really would have made life easier.
on 19 September 2014
Borrowed this book from the library and kept renewing it because I just had to try one more recipe. In the end I got my own copy and I've been using the book regularly ever since. Also finding the quick guides to freezing basic ingredients very useful.