on 6 October 2014
Mr Cheall sets out clearly how random death was amongst his friends in the army. It was often pure luck as to who was killed. He provides some graphic details about what he saw. His service was mainly training and being on exercise, interlaced with short periods of intense violence across various theatres. I was never bored with this book, and was struck by what a real gentleman he was. The war obviously left a great impact on him and he never forgot the friends he made and he emphasises that it was the comradeship that got people through it. If he was an example of the average British or Commonwealth soldier we should all be proud.
on 11 July 2014
Not quite got to the end but I finding it a really wonderful read, it is told through the eyes and memories of one who was there.
Would recommend this book to everybody, as it brings home the sacrifices made by a previous generation.
on 25 February 2015
I have read all the reviews on this book and almost all are in agreement that this is a real insight to the war as it applied to the ordinary infantryman.
I found it to be a brilliant read and all the better for not being too heavily edited. There is some repetition, but this serves to emphasize those sequences that clearly were imprinted on Bill's mind. Like any ex soldier he remembered his mates more than anything else that happened to him and emphasis on these memories is very understandable. I feel privileged to be able to share his recollections. First class
on 18 August 2014
An excellent account of what happened all those years ago. A good read for me as my father was part of the D-Day landings and Bill's account helped me to appreciate what it was really like those who took part.
on 6 September 2011
Very Pleased with the book, the book is a strong hardback book, with clear writing on the inside.

The book gives an excellent in sight into what life was like.

A great buy.
on 3 December 2014
Not a history book written by someone who never experienced what they wrote about, and written like a bland statement of facts! This is an insight into one man's own personal extraordinary experience at a time when the world was in chaos. I felt as though I was with him at times, by his easy going writing and simple explanations. It shows so much how our world has changed in attitude to one another now.
on 9 September 2014
I was 13 when all this was happening. now I am an avid reader of true war memories written by people who fought & worked
and risked their lives in many ways, some as agents. I know more about the war & the danger we were in than I ever realised at the time ; I was to young to understand. this book takes the reader on a journey of truth. I know I shall read it again..
on 22 August 2014
This is one of the best wartime memoirs that I have read...it's written in a very good style more like a novel but also has all the historical detail plus the personal reflection..

interesting how many units and roles that an individual soldier could operate in and how decisions impacted on death ,capture or survival .

Chris Jenkins 22/8/14
on 7 July 2014
Just couldn't put it down, if you want to know what life was really like in the second world war, then this book is a must.
on 19 August 2014
Couldn't put it down ! What a man Bill was...modest,brave and upright without being prudish..one of the best accounts ever