5.0 out of 5 stars I'll hack your arm off and stomp on your head.
I really loved this game, it's the first game I got for my Xbox one...Okay, that's a lie, it came with Forza, but I haven't played that yet.

Anyway, the story mode on this game is amazing, the graphics are absolutely stunning, it's a bit too easy if I'm honest though, I played my first playthrough on Centurion difficulty (the hardest setting before unlocking...
Published 17 months ago by Miztress Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game but falls short of what it could have been.
I bought this game as one of my first with the Xbox One, it has movie style cinematic parts for the storyline which most modern games try to strive for. The moves can be a little reparative but the brutal ways enemies are decimated or dismembered never loses its charm (N.B. for any of a queasy disposition this wouldn't suit you, arms and legs are a regular point for the...
Published 2 months ago by Alex

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Old school FP - New school graphics and cinematography, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Put simply, if you enjoyed games like the early Call of Duty titles, or any of the games from The Lord of the Rings series then you will most probably like this game.

To someone who wants the freedom to roam, and to be challenged a hundred different ways you may find this game a little repetitive - but otherwise the rewards are visually stunning, with an immersive storyline that the (frankly beautiful) cut scenes reel you in to feeling a part of.

Yes it's quite short, but buy it on disk and swap/trade in once you're finished. If I compare it to GTA V - it's all the action minus the tedium in between. If I compare it to Black Flag - it's all of the action minus the tedium in between.

Thoroughly recommended for a couple of weekends good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but historically innacurate, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
So firstly the game is graphically very nice and although repetitive with the fighting style its an enjoyable game and worth a play.
However the games creators and designers clearly did no research into Roman or ancient Briton as the game is full of ridiculous errors. So if you are a Roman history fan expect to be a little annoyed. And if you aren't a Roman history fan then at least don't believe any of the story.

I mean the ancient britons are seen wearing saxon helmets?!? And have great big castles?!? And King Oswald is apparently Boudica's dad. When he wasn't even around till centuries later?

However if you can look past the historical inaccuracies then the game is enjoyable and even though untrue and inaccurate the story is still fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars annoying crashes, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
I bought this game from amazon a few weeks back. What i like about the game is that it reminded me of spartan total warrior on ps2 and the good graphics, but sadly thats prity mutch it. And what i hate aboute the game is that it is too easy to complete but what delays me is crashes and a certain bit in the game where i have to kill the barbarian leader, which i do but it doesnt let me move on from there it just simply leaves me stuck in that area with his corpse on the floor telling me to kill him. I have done this in many different ways but it still dont budge, perhaps it needs updating but i cant be bothered. The makers should really test the game out more before selling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Visually this is a stunning game -easily the best looking game I have seen, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Visually this is a stunning game -easily the best looking game I have seen. The story line is gripping throughout and is more like watching a film than a game.

Gameplay however is a slightly different issue. To begin with it is great and fluid -but after a while you realise that you will be repeating the same thing over and over again for the rest of the (very short) game. Also the upgrades that you receive in the game don't seem to make any discernable difference to actual gameplay-which is disappointing.

Overall I would recommend getting this as it is more of an experience than a game - but if you pay under £20 its well worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant next generation title, 24 Nov. 2013
Brian - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Love this game - a true next gen graphics and an amazing immersive experience. Hope they make a sequel to this soon. Top marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, similar to the film 'Gladiator', 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
This game is visually extraordinary, the combat is awesome and the executions in it remind me of Gears of War. My favourite part of the game, despite being Scottish, is the portrayal of Scotland. The Romans thought of Scotland as an endless tundra inhabited only by barbarians and the whole aura of Scotland when you entered there in the game was extraordinarily mysterious and butt-clenchingly nerve-wracking.
SPOILERS
If you like the film Gladiator, you will like this game. Throughout the story, I noticed incredible parallels with the Russell Crowe flick: the main protagonist's family gets murdered by the Emperor, the protagonist himself is a highly respected General and a loyal servant of Rome who is later driven by vengeance when finds out who killed his family, he then becomes a gladiator and fights a highly ranked Roman who seeks to embarrass the new, mysterious Gladiator who's popularity is ever-increasing. The highly ranked Roman goes by the name of Commodus - a common Roman name but one, which fans of Gladiator will know, is mentioned in the film. This whole thing detracted from my enjoyment of the game as I could kind of anticipate what would happen next.
Overall, however, I truly enjoyed the game and would wholly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crytek have done it again!, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
After getting myself an Xbox One I thought carefully about what game I wanted to play on it first. Despite the rather negative critical reception towards this game, Ryse has surprised me at every turn. Not only does it look gorgeous but the story is rather thrilling. The combat animations never get old as you slice your way through countless barbarian soldiers with rivers of blood pouring all around you start to think you really are a roman soldier and begin roaring at your Kinect like a mad man. Overall very pleased with this title and now I'm going to go play it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Amazing graphics, great story, game mechanics and fighting are superb. Characters are built very well too. All round an insane game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Amazing game! The graphics are genuinely incredible. Yes, the gameplay is relatively simple and the story mode is quite short but if, like me, you enjoy the combat in games like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum then you should love it (similar sort of blocking, dodging, striking and the executions are similar to the countering in AC). Gladiator Mode is a highlight, it's a huge amount of fun to play and earn your way towards upgrading your armour, weapons and rank. This is the first time I've ever felt the need to review a game - I like it that much!

4.0 out of 5 stars More than worthy launch game, 29 Nov. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Like I imagine most, I was weary about buying this game but took the plunge and pre-ordered it. Then the reviews came out and I had feared I made the wrong decision. I was in the process of getting ready to return it for a full refund rather than give it ago and lose £10 if I didn't like it, but then I saw the reviews from actual users and changed my mind - to which I'm glad I did.

Sure the general combat is be a bit repetitive (something I could say about countless "popular" games) but the brutal executions help break this up nicely. | couldn't get God of War out of my head the whole time whilst playing it and I genuinely feel its better than the last installment of the classic PlayStation series (which I was disappointed with after the incredible God of War 3) which says something as all the actions are based on real life not superhuman acts to keep you entertained.

I heard a lot of this talk about it being just one big massive quicktime event (although they had apparently toned it down a bit) but I love this aspect of games. Its why I loved God Of War and Uncharted when I previously owned a PS3 and why I was bitterly disappointed Xbox didn't quite have a game matching that same experience. Now it does.

I for one really hope they make a Ryse 2. Like Assassins Creed, the first one has room for improvement but given the chance could be Xbox's answer to those above games once associated with primarily being hits on the PlayStation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) by Microsoft (Xbox One)