5.0 out of 5 stars I'll hack your arm off and stomp on your head.
I really loved this game, it's the first game I got for my Xbox one...Okay, that's a lie, it came with Forza, but I haven't played that yet.

Published 9 months ago by Miztress Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game that will aggrevate Roman-history nerds
Overall, Ryse: Son of Rome is a good game with excellent graphics and easy to play.

Published 3 months ago by dux Britanniarum

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll hack your arm off and stomp on your head., 4 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)

Anyway, the story mode on this game is amazing, the graphics are absolutely stunning, it's a bit too easy if I'm honest though, I played my first playthrough on Centurion difficulty (the hardest setting before unlocking legendary) I then did the second on legendary, and while some of the boss fights were quite a bit harder, they really weren't too frustrating. The game IS very short, I did both playthroughs in three days, and had a bash on multiplayer too, the multiplayer so far has been enjoyable, you fight waves of enemies off while trying to do tasks at the same time, you can upgrade your character and stuff, it was fun, but I really enjoyed the campaign more.

Okay so the story isn't really that unique, it's kind of a mish mash of a few well known stories. What I thought was funny was the way all the British soldiers in it have quite heavy northern accents (Yorkshire/Cumbria) and then the Romans, for some reason, have southern English accents (upper class London). I understand we don't want them speaking Latin with subtitles, but I just thought the accent differentiating the two groups was funny. There's some really good voice acting in it, and the facial expressions and movements are remarkable, even when not in cut-scenes like when I cut some guys arm off (a lot of arms get cut off in it) he was rolling around on the ground screaming, and his face looked hilarious, like he was really screaming (I'm a bitch, I know).

The combat is amazing, it is repetitive, but it's fun enough to not be a problem. It's a "block, hit, hit, hit, block, parry, hit - Hit button for finishing move - do finishing move sequence" deal, but the graphics make it so enjoyable. It's very violent, but I like that lol, and when you get the hang of it, it pays off. Run into a big crowd of six crazy guys with machetes and giant hammers and start hacking limbs off "BOOM" - knock him back with a shield, HACK SLASH BLOCK PARRY then EXECUTION TIME - KNEE HIM IN THE STOMACH, SMACK HIM IN THE FACE WITH THE SHIELD, CHOP HIS ARM OFF, SLASH HIS THROAT, THEN STOMP ON HIS HEAD WHEN HE FALLS - - What's not to like about that? It's also a reason I'm grateful the game isn't overly long, those two playthroughs were enough to make me feel like I got my moneys worth, and now I'll be moving on... I'll probably go back and playthrough again just to try for some of the achievements I missed, but not right now.

If you want a game that will last you tens of hours, this isn't for you, and if you're worried about not getting your moneys worth, I can totally understand that, and would recommend getting it when the price drops. But if you were thinking of getting it, knowing how long it is, and what it's like, and think it sounds like something you're after, I say get it, I don't have a complaint with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rome's never looked so beautiful, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Im not sure why Ryse: Son of Rome has received such negative criticism from IGN et al. The game isn't perfect, but it has many qualities of note.

Visually, the game is a master class. It really pushes the nextgen consoles and is truly beautiful. Id happily say that it is the best looking game on the One to date. The outstanding features are the characters themselves - their faces, armour and movements are superb. Clearly a lot of time was put into them and the results will leave you, for the first time, just occasionally asking yourself if the game is just a game. The cut cinematic scenes are a joy to behold. If its graphics you look for in a game, this is a must buy. The environment too looks fantastic. Whether it be the heart of Rome, on a ship storming a beach or in the woods of the North, the fidelity and quality of them are brilliant. Lighting is especially pleasing on the eye, especially when it bounces of armour.

Gameplay is where this game falls on its face ever so slightly. It is a little too simplistic and repetitive at times, as you can simply just use the same combos and then wait for the execution colour to be signalled. What I find particularly annoying are the executions themselves. You are prompted to select the yellow or blue buttons, but if you hit the wrong one, the execution still happens. There really is little reward for hitting the correct combo. The developers missed a trick here - they could have worked it so that incorrect input leads to a failed execution. Also, the unlock system for executions is totally pointless. Marius will just execute enemies at random and I (to this date) don't know how to do a specific set of moves.

With that said, there is a little variety on offer. The player can throw spears, deflect arrows with his shield and bash opponents. The most effective means of killing the enemy will involve the use of shield and sword, because there are a variety of enemies to kill - some fast and elusive, some slow and strong. A quality of the combat system is that is is very easy to use and it does reward timing, which leads to a chain of score bonuses or Eagle mode for Marius.

With that said, the linearity of each level on the campaign is frustrating. I honestly feel restricted when moving through the levels, as there is only one way to do it. I think the developers could have easily made this a RPG, allowing the player to rome Rome and wonder through the woods of Scotland. I also feel the campaign could be a bit longer, as the co-op and multiplayer don't really offer in depth features.

In conclusion, the game could have been great, but its unfortunately not. It is a very beautiful game and will put a smile on your face. The real issue is that once you have finished the campaign, you will probably want to sell the game on. You are left feeling like you want more from it - both in the gameplay and the length of the campaign. I really wish a sequel would be made, because there isnt another game like this on the One and it well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Amazing game! The graphics are genuinely incredible. Yes, the gameplay is relatively simple and the story mode is quite short but if, like me, you enjoy the combat in games like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum then you should love it (similar sort of blocking, dodging, striking and the executions are similar to the countering in AC). Gladiator Mode is a highlight, it's a huge amount of fun to play and earn your way towards upgrading your armour, weapons and rank. This is the first time I've ever felt the need to review a game - I like it that much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine, Honest Review of Ryse: Son of Rome, 2 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
This is the first time I have ever written a review for a game but I feel that I had to given the unfair judgement I have seen this game receieve. Before I begin I must admit I am hugely interested in the Roman Empire as well as sword-and-sandal flicks such as Gladiator and Spartacus so that obviously benefits towards my enjoyment of the game. To sum up what Ryse is, I'd say it's Call of Duty (linear, action set pieces with big spectacle) meets Gladiator.

Well where else to begin than with the graphics, which are absolutely stunning. It's by far the best looking title on the Xbox One so far and a definite showcase of it's graphical abilities. The world Crytek have created is beautiful and scarily realistic, genuinely bordering on photorealistic. The same can be said for the characters, which are terrifically acted with some of the best facial animation I've seen in a game. They move great too, with excellent use of motion capture used in cutscenes and when in combat.

Combat itself is the main bulk of game, and while at times it can get a tad repetitive it is fun and challenging. If you've ever played any of the Batman Arkham games then you'll feel right at home. X is the sword attack, A is to block, Y is to shove an opponent with a shield and B is to roll. And just like Batman, there are different types of enemies where you'll need to use a button more than others. A general grunt who can be killed simply by mashing X and blocking if needed, a burly enemy with a shield who needs to be shoved before attacking and who requires more blocking, a two-handed swordsmen who needs blocking before counter attacking and a bigger, slower enemy with a large hammer who needs to be dodged by rolling before attacking. The latter are the elite enemies who you'll rarely come across but are harder to kill. There are boss fights as well but they're just a mixture of the standard enemies you encounter but tougher. If you saw any footage from E3 earlier this year there was a huge uproar over the apparent QTE's (quick time events) which is effectively where a button prompt appears on screen and when pressed, the game takes you out of control and kills an enemy for you. Well I'm happy to say that there are no QTE's in Ryse, or forced ones at least. After damaging an enemy so much a little icon appears above them, which when the right trigger is pressed, starts a death animation and causes the enemy to be highlighted in blue (X) or yellow (Y). By pressing the correct colour it progresses the animation until another colour is shown (usually between 2-4 times) until you kill the enemy. The point of these, other than the fact that they look awesome, is that it helps towards gaining extra XP (which you use to unlock more moves and upgrade health) or health if it's low. They are in no way forced on you other than in boss fights but I had absolutely no problem with them. I've read somewhere that Crytek said there are over 100 different death animations, but I haven't come across that many myself so I can't confirm if that's true. I know that there are double death animations when 2 enemies are involved, and there are ones which are determined by where you are in the environment (such as near a ledge), but you can expect to see the same one many times.

In-between the combat there are moments where you command your troops, either telling them where to fire arrow volleys or to form a testudo formation (where the soldiers align their shields to form a packed formation covered with shields on the front and top) to march towards the enemy archers. You can also take control of a ballista which you fire in a first person perspective. These are fun little moments to break up the fighting and to help make you feel like a leader. There are no puzzles or exploration during the levels, unlike that of perhaps Ryse's similar rival on the other machine, God of War. Other than the fact that God of War is set in Ancient Greece and is much more over-the-top and based on mythology, Ryse is more simple and historically accurate, albeit with it's own story.

The story is fairly simple and while it's nothing I haven't seen before, I was still hooked on it throughout and there were some great moments. It plays out like a film, with lots of scripted moments and linear pathways to keep you pushing forwards to progress the story.

There are unfortunately some negatives I personally have which stops the game from being perfect. The developers have stated that because the sword was the only real weapon a Roman soldier used, they decided to stay true to that and have a sword as the only weapon in the game (you can use pilas on occasion too though, which are effectively throwing spears). I would have liked there to be some more variety with weapons, which would have also meant more variety in death animations. The gameplay itself can get repetitive but I still found it enjoyable and the story made me want to carry on. As I've stated before, the graphics are incredible, but the same enemy designs are used over and over again. Unless they have escaped from a clone factory I can think of no other reason other than that was something the developers had to sacrifice to make them look so realistic. The shield enemy, for example, only has one design and there are times when I fought 2 or 3 of them at the same time, so it was like fighting triplets. With such amazing graphics something like this really sticks out to me.

To cut this review short, and to give an overall review, I really enjoyed Ryse: Son of Rome. It has amazing graphics, a great story with interesting characters and fun challenging gameplay. It can get a tad repetitive at times, but so do most games I have played. It took me roughly between 8-10 hours to complete, but I did explore every nook and cranny in the levels to find the hidden collectables. So if you blitz straight through it I can imagine it might take between 6-8 hours. There's no real replayability in the story other than to find the collectables, but there is a fun gladiator mode which you can play on your own or with a friend. I haven't played much of it so can't give a full judgement but it certainly adds longevity to the game once you finish the campaign.

With style but not quite enough substance, Ryse: Son of Rome reminds me of the first Gears of War or Assassins Creed. There's definitely lots of room for improvement and there's the chance to make a bigger, better, badder sequel with more variety (horseback combat, anyone?), but as it stands on it's own it's still a great game and one every Xbox One owner should think about getting. I hope this becomes a big franchise for the Xbox and a sequel is greenlit soon, as there isn't anything really quite like it out there.

Pros
- Amazing graphics
- Great soundtrack and voice acting
- Interesting story
- Fun challenging combat
Cons
- Can get repetitive
- Not enough variety

If I had to give a score out of 10, I'd give - 8.5/10

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game that will aggrevate Roman-history nerds, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)

This was the first game I purchased with the Xbox One, and I haven't had a serious gaming console since the original Xbox, so I had concerns about playability. But I found the game very easy to play (in terms of controller mechanics) and the character graphics and vistas were quite stunning.

Playing with sword and shield as the primary weapons took getting used to, but practice made - well, not perfect, but better - and the AI for enemy combat was quite good, with notable jumps when the difficulty was increased.

The storyline was okay, but only drew you into the game at a very loose level. The storyline certainly doesn't motivate you to continue playing, but the graphics and new vistas make that worthwhile.

What I found most annoying (and here I show my true colors as a history nerd) is the incorrect description of the game as 'late Roman' - this is set in the mid first-century AD, which is the early Roman Empire, historically speaking. On top of that, the reference to any actual history or geography of the Roman Empire is playing fast & loose. As most people do not play games for education on Roman history, I appreciate that this may be of little concern to most gamers. Unfortunately, I feel the mingling of historical characters (Boudica, for example, has an Anglo-Saxon father) and highly inaccurate topographic and archaeological representations (York/Eboracum does not look like that) goes beyond the laughable into sad category. BUT, I'm a nerd.

So, easy to play, very linear storyline with great graphics. It should be suitable for those that like melee combat games that are not too intense, but it will annoy anyone that maybe takes their history a bit too seriously (I include myself here).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great launch title, loved it!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
During the pre launch hype this was one of the games that got me onside with xbox, then the reviews came and I practically dismissed it. As there are a lack of launch titles at the moment, (not as lacking as Ps4 tho) I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did, I loved every second.

Great controls, stunning looking and that comes from a high spec pc gamer, great story and just overall epic ness. Yes it's repetitive combat but what recent franchise isn't? It's very much like the combat seen in the batman games and better then the assassins creed system.

The only reason I've not scored it a five is because the campaign only lasts around 8 hours which is starting to become a trend. There is an online mood however so that may add so longevity.

Overall, this is currently a must have xbone title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Hack and Slash, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
Simply put the story is interesting I wouldn't say good but it's interesting it has you going around and battling against different barbarians that all look identical and you go around fighting in in comprehensible fighting locations like the white cliffs of Dover and to the very north of Scotland where the wild things live. I would say if you are looking for a hack and slash style game then i think its good i loved the executions although they get repetitive once you have seen them a few times, although it encourages you to unlock more which opens new options and interesting beheading. If you are looking to buy this then maybe wait until it gets reduced a bit because it took me about 6 hours to complete the story and the multiplayer isn't worth the rest of your time, i would estimate its probably should be worth 20 to 30 quid

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game, but far too short., 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
I got this game not knowing what it would be like, and it was a fantastic surprise, I've never been so gripped by a storyline and enjoyed visual wonders in a game like this one. This is easily the best game I have played for game play, granted it is repetitive but when its that much fun, who cares!? I could go through and kill everybody the same way again and enjoy it. There is only one problem to this game, that is it's length. I completed this game in around 4 hours, it does have a multi-player, but the campaign is the integral part of a game like this and for me it was far too short. However I would thoroughly recommend this game as it is a fantastic experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most underrated game on Xbox One, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
I can't believe how critical most review sites have been of this game. I almost didn't buy it and would have missed out on one of the most enjoyable hack and slash games ever made!

Since launch I've ploughed hours into this game and completed the main story 3 times. Put simply it's once of the best launch titles EVER!! That might sound like a bold statement but myself and friends just can't stop playing this, on the surface it does seem quite shallow but those who've put a bit of time in to it will know thats it's actually got a fair bit of depth to it.

People have accused Ryse of being repetitive and to be honest it is a bit but the game is so well focused, well designed and efficient at everything it tries to do it never feels like a bad thing.

The story is extremely well told with great voice acting and cut scenes. All helped of course by some terrific graphics which are at a level I've personally never seen before.

The multiplayer is also great fun, you can battle alone or with a friend through different scenarios within the colosseum completing re-enactments of famous historical battles. All the time earning gold to purchase booster packs to improve your abilities.
You're probably not going to spend as much time on it as much as say COD or Battlefield but it's certainly got a fair few hours of entertainment here.

My only complaint is the inclusion of micro-transactions, this game will set you back at least 44.99 new so it's not nice to see these plaguing a premium title but unfortunately it seems they are going to feature prominently this generation as they are also in Forza 5. I have chosen not to knock of a star for this as they are not necessary to progress and not forced on you at all but they still shouldn't be anywhere near a full priced game.

Anyone sitting on the fence about buying Ryse: Son of Rome just get it, it's a brilliant launch title that no-one should miss. Well unless you're not partial to a bit of gratuitous violence and gore that is......

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Shallow Gameplay, Epic Storytelling, Incredible Visuals., 13 Jan 2014
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
This got pretty middling reviews all round, so I didn't go in expecting much. My jaw hit the floor at the presentation though.

It's honestly the best looking videogame I've ever played, including high end PC stuff. Some of the animations when you're running about look a bit ropey, and they can be a bit janky moving between stances and things but the fidelity and the facial animations are the best I've ever seen. It just looks incredible, the characters are so expressive and well performed/captured that I completely forgot I wasn't looking at real people.

Gameplay is really basic and repetitive, and the combat never clicked with me to the point where it was as satisfying as something like Arkham, so gameplay-wise it's pretty unremarkable. It is shortish though so it didn't get a chance to really get old on me, and the presentation of what's going on around you during the fights can at times make the fighting feel super epic. The sense of big battle scale and visual set-piece splendour is brilliant.

It also has (really surprisingly) one of the best, most well told stories in a videogame. Really gripping, and I totes gave a s*** about all the characters, and the performances are absolutely fantastic. Given all the praise for The Last Of Us in that regard (and I do genuinely think TLoU deserves a lot of praise for those aspects), I find it really surprising that no-one is bigging up the fact that Ryse does all of those things at least as well as it (and in all honesty I preferred the story/characters/writing in Ryse). I'm guessing it's probably the same kind of snootery that means genre films don't get considered at Oscar time, Ryse will just never be seen as being as worthy as something like TLoU I guess.

On reflection, I actually liked it a great deal. It's short and the gameplay is deep as a puddle, but it's elevated by every other aspect.

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) by Microsoft (Xbox One)
34.85