5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best value for money Windows Phone 8
Published 23 months ago by Medalkat !

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone but only lasted two days!
Published 20 months ago by mark gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best value for money Windows Phone 8, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 720 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
For around £200 - £220 SIM free this is the best phone you can get for your money. Build quality is amazing. I was worried about the screen resolution, because every review mentions that the screen could be better. That's all nonsense. The screen is amazing and the automatic brightness works fantastically (adjusts fast). Battery life is amazing (2-3 days easy). The charger design is super cool for travelling. Wireless charging fantastic (I put the phone on the DT-910 stand and use it like a night clock on my bedtime table). I had only one weird problem with both of our 720's. I couldn't connect them to a hidden WiFi out of the box. The solution was to reset the phone to factory defaults and since then both of them work fine. 520 has a slippery design (difficult to press hardware buttons for me), pla-sticky & small screen and is missing a lot of features (camera back and front, flash, nfc, wireless charging...) 620 is great, but has a very small screen (not good for typing and reading), worse both cameras & battery life and no wireless charging + fm as well. Lumia 720 is a golden product because it has amazing camera, 4.3 screen is just right, it's slim, light and has all the features I needed / missed on 520/620. Bezel around the screen could be smaller though. Here Drive is amazing - I love the new interface and now it shows live traffic as well. Can't even compare it to my old phone. Very happy and I do recommend it to everyone. Disregard that ballast about screen not being sharp, because you won't notice a thing. Also that nonsense about missing apps. It's just nonsense. Everything for 90% of people is there and new apps are coming fast. The last thing is about the processor and ram - don't worry it's ultra fast. You won't notice any difference between SamGS4 and this one for normal everyday tasks. I played with my friend's SamGS4 and the subjective feeling is that this phone is faster for everyday tasks. And SamGS4 is a flagship so it shouldn't even be compared to 720. But the camera on 720 will smoke both iPhone 5 and SamGS4. Unbelievable low light results considering the price :) Nokia is back on track - finally after years of sleeping...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but a bit pricey, 1 May 2013
Gorgeous looking phone with amazing battery life but, in my opinion, there's not enough differentiators (and even some drawbacks) when compared to the much cheaper Lumia 620 (or other phones in the 720's price range) to justify the cost. I did buy it for the long battery life but I've returned it after a couple of days for other reasons (explained below).

Good:
- Beautiful design, excellent build quality, size (127.9x67.5x9mm), weight (128g), etc - really a class above my old Lumia 710.
- Big 2000mAh battery combined with low power CPU gives it awesome run time (unibody means battery is not user accessible but for me that's ok since it lasts literally twice as so long as my Lumia 710).
- Windows Phone simplicity and stability; comes with things like MS Office (I'm writing this in a .doc on the phone), Nokia HERE Drive (more on that later though), etc.

Meh:
- Big 4.3" but medium res (480x800) display - looks good in some places like Word or the email app (I guess due to ClearType?) but can be pretty bad in others (web, some icons, etc) - big pixels make rescaling obvious. It is far far away from the display on Lumia 920 and also worse than some much cheaper Androids. Although significantly bigger, not really better than the display on my old Lumia 710 (although 720 has Gorilla Glass 2 which must help for scratches that my 710 accumulated over time).
- 6.7MP camera is just ok but nothing special.
- 2 core 1.0 GHz Qualcomm Krait is just enough but noticeably slower than the one in Lumia 820/920.
- 512 MB RAM is just barely enough (some apps require 1GB) and might not be very future-proof but it is ok for now.
- 8GB of storage is not really enough. Yes, it is expandable with a Micro-SD card but that is not supported by most 3rd party apps and means fiddling with settings. For example, as far as I can tell you cannot store maps on the Nokia's own HERE maps on the SD card and they do take lots of space. I would trade the Micro-SD slot option for 16GB of built-in memory, anytime.

Bad:
- OS still unpolished (or rather, unfinished) in many places; not that many apps and those that are there are of lower quality and missing features (for example, even Microsoft's own Skype still doesn't work well on Windows Phone 8, with lots of issues like receiving calls while you're not in the app, etc - amazingly it works fine/better on iOS and Android).
- Unlike Lumia 620, it comes with the basic Nokia HERE Drive (locked to your region, doesn't work if travelling abroad) and not the Nokia HERE Drive+ (which works everywhere) - which would be kind of "meh" if you could actually upgrade to the "+" version - which you can't at the moment. So you have to buy a third party app, or, in my case, just return the phone and revert to using Lumia 710, which comes with Nokia Drive which works anywhere.

I've returned it for 3 reasons (any single of them I could live with but all combined made it a no-go):

- Podcast support - that's one of the main uses for my phone, and it's not natively available outside of US on Windows Phone 8. I was perfectly happy with the Zune+Lumia710 combo in that aspect but WP8 drops support for Zune desktop app. There's a number of 3rd party apps (here's a good review: [...]) but unfortunately even the best one is not as good as the Zune+phone and crashes too frequently on 720 to be usable, and the rest isn't that good (way way inferior than what's available on Android or iOS - this guy basically sums it up: [...]

- I need a phone that I can occasionally use as a business phone but my company (big IT company with 100,000+ employees) doesn't yet support Windows Phone 8 (they support iOS, Android and Blackberry), citing the lack of VPN and other technical problems with the OS.

- Lumia 720 comes with HERE Drive and not HERE Drive+, making it a downgrade from 710 or 620. The non-plus HERE is region limited and at the moment not upgradeable (it will be, for a price, in the future: [...]) meaning that for my incoming holiday I would have to buy a NAVIGON or another 3rd party app.

These things might not be a problem for most people and will probably be solved in the near future one way or the other, but I just wanted to point them out if it saves anyone time. Btw, here is the most detailed review of the phone I've seen so far: [...]

I'll stick with my Lumia 710 until these issues are ironed out and maybe this time next year I'll get a Lumia 928 (with the money I've just saved by not upgrading...) :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 May 2013
A. Croft (Preston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I used to be an iPhone user having had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. However, I was sick of paying stupid amounts of money for a phone. They are great, but just not worth the money, in my opinion.

I have never gotten along with the Android OS so I thought I'd look at Windows Phones and I don't regret it. I loved the look of this phone online and it has not disappointed in reality. It's very slim, lightweight and good to look at.

The OS is so simple to use and once you have your Microsoft account set up you can download plenty of apps and games to it. Most of the popular ones are available now. I love the tiles on the home screen. Quite a simple idea but very effective and you can personalise your phone to display whatever is important to you. Simply swipe left and you can access all apps installed on the phone, in a simple alphabetical list. It can't get any simpler. The phone has a great camera. Despite only being 6 Megapixel, it takes excellent and clear pictures. The screen, despite being a mid range resolution, is very clear, vibrant and easy to see / read.

What stands out the most is the battery life. It lasts me three days of light use (30 mins to 1 hour of calls, several texts, accessing emails several times, checking Facebook and Twitter, listening to music plus playing games for 20 mins or so). I'd guess medium use would give you a couple of days and heavy users should get a full day without worry. It has a battery saver feature that switches off certain features to extend the battery life too.

I really can't recommend the phone enough. It's really nice and very easy to use, I'm delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best options on the market for the price, 30 May 2013
We though Nokia and Microsoft Windows Phone lost the game however we were wrong!

This handset fantastic because Nokia and Microsoft have both invested in it heavily in areas such as big screen, camera quality, free or subscription based music, free SatNav and so much more...

The only downsides with this handset as far as we can see is few minor missing options compared to other Lumia handsets, the number of apps currently however it is increasing dramatically and quickly as Nokia and Windows Phone is getting much more positive reviews now also is worth noting that there are alternative third-party apps for Windows Phone 8 for most popular apps until the actual apps are developed/released.

As Windows Phone 8 is a new successor; there is large gap available for improvements and as the users are increasing on the platform is very likely that in the next few months we'll see major improvements which would make it more convenient to use.

We're now migrating all handsets from iPhone to latest Nokia handset as we were so impressed with the Lumia range also there is so much potential there.

Hope this information is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal Value - superstar phone, 29 July 2013
I am absolutely in love with this phone. I looked at an 820, but was completely put off by its weight, then I ordered this one because it weighs only 128 grams. I am not disappointed, it weighs so little you hardly notice it in your back pocket and the battery life is astonishing - I am getting almost 5 days out of it. i was worried about the lower spec chip, but I haven't noticed any drag or delay, it all works pretty smoothly. I have taken some great indoor snaps too which were great and I was really impressed that it worked in relatively low light conditions. I had to pay a bit extra for the global license for Here Drive, but its great to have it in your phone - I hook it up to a generic cradle in my car and it's superb.

In summary, pound for pound this must be one of the best phones in the market. Its better than my old iphone 4, and I just think that anyone who signs up to a 24 month contract these days for a top of the range phone is a mug.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone but only lasted two days!, 2 Nov. 2013
Decided on a change having owned IPhone's 3 & 4 and a Samsung S2 so opted for the Nokia Lumia 720 which has favorable reviews. It all started well and to be honest I was very impressed. Great quality feel to it and Windows was easy to use and fast; but then it decided to develop a mind of its own and hop uncontrollably between apps regardless of my intervention! The only way I could access the phone was to action a factory reset. Unfortunately this made no difference, a one off perhaps, but 'googleing' the problem showed that other owners had the same issues. So I had little option but to return it. A great shame.
I now have a Motorola Razr HD - so far so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but far from perfect., 19 Jun. 2013
Having previously owned an Android phone, I much prefer this Windows 8 operating system. As for the Nokia Lumia 720 it's self, I am pleased with most aspects of it's operation. It has great battery life and the screen operates very smoothly. I don't get the inadvertent selection of items as I did with my previous (HTC) phone. It's not perfect though. (What is?). The on off button is on the side of the phone in the middle and care has to be taken not to switch it off accidently. I would have preferred the on/off button on the top of the phone. The same problem exists with the dedicated camera button, which is also in the side of the phone. The camera button on the side is hand, but again it's easy to inadvertently select it. I guess I will get used to the problem side buttons and would in general recommend this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, 18 July 2013
Superb camera, free offline GPS and every app I need. You will not have the amount off apps that Android or iPhone have but I've found each and every app I needed.

The GUI is fluid and nice to use and the touchscreen is really sensitive.

The screen is just perfect, perfectly visible even outdoors but the most amazing thing about the phone is the battery, two full days of intense use (web browsing, games, installing apps and play around with it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Natural!, 24 Jun. 2013
It's so nice, so easy to use and so friendly.
I love how it feels to keep it in hand.
The battery has a long life, and the screen is crystal. Moreover, it has a very good outdoor visibility.
The most important - it's fast and has offline maps & navigation. What else would you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, 8 Jun. 2013
I bought this a few weeks ago, it is really amazing
I always use bus so I check my bus online, nokia transport is great an convenient, no way to compare with similar android app, it is integrated with nokia map. so you can trust it even in the dark....
nokia city lens is also another advantage over other similar app

Nokia Lumia 720 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black