5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor (a real head turner! :D )
First of all it arrived very quickly, so all good there.

The first thing I would say is that the monitor looks quite amazing as its so extreme!

Published 5 months ago by Acrylic-Splashbacks.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable
Published 5 months ago by Angelus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor (a real head turner! :D ), 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: AOC Q2963PM 29 inch Ultrawide IPS LED Monitor (21:9, 2560x1080, 6ms, UWHD) (Personal Computers)
First of all it arrived very quickly, so all good there.

However, for a while I was actually considering returning it due to my Macbook 2008 not being able to match the resolution (max 1280 x 1024). As a result everything was either either stretched or massive if I used my native resolution. My graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB) supported the resolution but my Mac didn't (if that makes sense) and Geforce had stopped updates for it. So I was quite gutted for a while.

After ALOT of research I managed to find a software called SwitchResX which is free and enables you to force the correct resolution to the monitor (2510 x 1080)

Now everything looks perfect and crisp! I really hope this helps others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality monitor. The praise is not false., 17 May 2014
Been having this monitor for around a month now and I am very impressed with it, especially considering that many other monitors like this cost around 900 mark or more. This one does everything I need it to. I do not understand why would I spend more money, as I can not detect any flaws in it and it actually has some advantages too.

Advantages:

- Very good build. Almost entirely metal, this thing weights more than my 32 inch Sony Bravia TV. It looks very sturdy. It also has special anti-scratch and shock-resistant panel on top of the screen. It doesn't interfere with the picture at all, but it prevents the screen from external harm. And it is quite a good plate too, for example even touching the screen and applying pressure will not create the distortions that you would see on most other screens, be it PC, TV or anything else.
- Screen does not heat up and create strong magnetic fields. Unlike TFT screens IPS panels do not heat up, which means the screen will not serve to further dry up the room's air. Furthermore it seems to generate much weaker magnetic field (my father's a physicist, so I have the devices to measure), which means it will not accelerate dust into your eyes like many other other monitors do. This doesn't mean you shouldn't take breaks to relax your eyes a little every now and then, but it does mean that the screen it generally friendlier to the eyeball.
- IPS panel. As you know. The more expensive IPS panel provides much better color reproduction than TFT screens and generally results in a richer, more vibrant pictures. It is especially good for longer sessions, as it is not so tiring for the eyes (again).
- Very fast for an IPS screen. This screen is also extremely fast. It says 6ms, but to be honest I found it to be more like 3 or 4, which is even faster than my old BenQ TFT screen. The overdrive is unnoticeable at all and also has 3 levels you can choose between to suit your needs. This is very good, considering that most IPS screens do not allow to customize the pixel overdrive levels.
- Good OCD options. A fair bit of options on OCD. One in particular is good: time out option. I set it to 45s so it doesn't disappear while I am calibrating. The screen also natively supports PnP inputs and Picture in Picture mode. For example you can turn on the mode, plug in your secondary device (e.g. mobile) and it will show your mobile device's screen alongside the desktop on the monitor. Not drivers or anything required. Handy for the office use.
- Higher-than-normal colour gamut. This is an advantage over the more expensive models, as this screen has a slightly bigger colour gamut reproduction than majority of the screens on the market. This is exceptionally useful if you are working with things for printing but it also just provides a more pleasant experience. It is noticeable. I have a second screen working right next to it and the colour reproduction of the IPS panel combined with the increased colour gamut of this screen make for a startling difference.

Differences:

- 21:9 Ultrawide experience is something you'll have to get used to. I personally love it, it not only makes my eyes and head move, but also provides a more relaxed experience in games, work or movies if I watch them. Having more screen space resonates well with how human brain works, as it is used to having to focus on one thing and having a lot of detail left in the peripheral vision. With smaller screens you have less space, but same level of detail, and as such your eyes have to focus on all of the detail, which can at times make you just a little bit tired. That said, this kind of experience is very different and people with conservative mindset may find it uncomfortable due to it's large deviation from the norm.
- 2560x1080 resolution takes it's toll. If you are a gamer, this screen will need a good GPU. I have a GTX770 OC with a second GTX460 dedicated to PhysX and CUDA when I do 3D CG rendering. With this setup I am having no major issues with framerate. Warframe dropped from usual 140-160 to 100fps, maxed out, nothing that I would notice. Left 4 Dead 2 and Stanley Parable as well as other Source games don't seem to struggle either. Sleeping Dogs, Dead Space 3, all those ran fine on this setup; that said, I have not yet tried Witcher 2 or Crysis 3 with this resolution yet. Whatever the case, I think my setup is about the average of what you'll need for comfortable gaming at native resolution of this screen.
- 60Hz monitor. Like all IPS screens, this does not go higher than 60 with default settings. You can, however, OC it to around a 100, which is ludicrous considering it's size, panel and most importantly: price. Really really good. However having higher refresh rate also means that anything that runs at lower fps than that will appear more sluggish. If you are capable of unleashing 100+ fps in all games, by all means. But I have a pleasant enough experience with 60Hz.
- Weight. Like I mentioned, it's really heavy. If this matters to you, then well, it's a disadvantage. But to me, as one who has it at home desktop and not planning to take it anywhere? I couldn't give a toss.

Disadvantages:

- Poor factory calibration. This screen is badly calibrated out of the box. It looks weird with overabundance of red, very poor whites, compensated with hugely overpowered brightness. If you buy it, get ready to do some heavy calibration. I spent 2 hours making a good picture on it. Brightness is especially an issue. It's just insane. I have it at 20% now and it's still quite a bit brighter than my old screen. It might be good on a sunny day if you are sitting far away, but normally I have to cut it way down and readjust contrast and colours to compensate for the change in the level of whites.
- No tilting or height adjustments. Well tilting is kinda useless on a screen like this, but height adjustment, I do miss. You CAN adjust the facing angle of the screen (looking up or down), but you can not rotate it around the depth axis (e.g. make it into a portrait orientation or something). Height adjustment for a large screen like this is certainly a miss IMO. You want it to be about on your eye level for comfortable overview of it's large area. It can be a big issue if your chair does not have a height adjustment or if your table is too low.
- The panel that protects the actual screen, as I mentioned above, has a little gap between the rest of the screen's body and itself. The gap surrounds the whole viewing area and it can collect dust and dirt as time goes on. It's only some 2mm wide, so cleaning it out can be a bit of a problem if left unattended for long.
- It's unusual resolution WILL create compatibility issues. Especially in games. If a game does not properly support Borderless window mode (which should automatically render: NOT scale, in your native resolution) or support full screen mode in this resolution you will either have to deal with vertical black bars, horribly skewed picture or using various external tools to force renderer to work in 2560x1080. Games like Loadout do not support this resolution in any way. Sleeping Dogs UI does not scale properly with this resolution (although the engine does properly render it). Generally games which have Borderless Window mode, will work well though, so it's not a huge issue,but rather a minor annoyance. At least for me.
- It's white reproduction is not amazing, even after many calibrations. Using the tests on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ the White was the only one which I was not able to get perfectly right. The bottom right corner still didn't show any difference between the squares, as they all appeared white regardless. This is somewhat rare as most screens have the opposite issue: blacks. However this one perfectly passed the blacks test without the need for any extra calibration. It's the whites it was not able to get quite right.

Overall:

This is arguably the best screen for it's price on the market really. Unbelievably good for how little it asks for. I have had it only for a month, so I can not say anything about reliability yet, but as far as everything else goes, this is a ridiculously good screen. All the praise from the reviewers was not false, this really is an amazing screen, I have never had a better one, and I never did skimp on the monitors.

If you have the money, and are not terribly afraid of UltraWide, buy it. Judging from what other people say, it is not prone to failure, which means you are very unlikely to find anything better for this price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 15 Feb 2014
I bought one of these, and after only a few weeks, the DVI input failed. Amazon immediately arranged a replacement, but when it arrived (with an opened box like others have reported), unlike the first one that had a perfect panel, it had a dead pixel and a double stuck sub-pixel (blue and green in the same pixel) near the centre of the screen. Incredibly annoying, but well within the ludicrously-generous ISO 9241-307 Class 1 limits that the AOC EMEA warranty works to. Within 12 hours, a vertical red line then started appearing intermittently near the right hand edge of the screen, so it's going back to be replaced by a Dell U2913WM. That monitor seems to have quality issues of its own too, but at least Dell will replace the panel if there are any stuck pixels at all. There's not really all that much choice right now in the 21:9 market, but as I'm replacing a pair of old 1280 x 1024 monitors, 2560 x 1080 works perfectly for me so I'm sticking with it.

I can see many other people who have had no issues, so maybe I just got unlucky. If you do decide to buy it for wall-mounting, though, be aware that with the stand removed and the back plate folded down, the bottom of the back plate is more or less flush with the bottom of the monitor. So, although you can hide any connection to the side of the back plate, you cannot hide anything that goes into the bottom. Like the power plug, for instance. The mounting holes are inset, too, so you'll need some spacers to fit between your mounting plate and the monitor. Really not well designed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional performer, even amongst IPS, 21 Jan 2014
Mr. A. J. Simmons "AJS" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
At first I was a bit unsure as to what to make about the physical dimensions of the product. The screen is wider than a 30" 16:10 monitor but only as tall as a 23" model. It didn't take long before these doubts evaporated. Whilst you don't get the same vertical real-estate that's useful for desktop use as you would on a 2560 x 1440 model, you do get some useful extra width over 1920 x 1080. Where this monitor really shines is for games and movies. The panoramic view and 21:9 aspect ratio gives you a wider FOV horizontally without affecting vertical FOV on most game titles and makes for a truly engaging and immersive experience. Most movies nowadays are filmed in aspect ratios that will fit the monitor very nicely - and although Blu-rays are limited to 1920 x 1080 they upscale beautifully without any obvious loss of detail or sharpness.

Of course there is more to a monitor than just its size. This monitor is also an exceptional performer, even for an IPS panel (I have used many - I review them). Static contrast sits at around 1100:1 after the very small amount of tweaking you have to do to get a perfect 2.2 gamma and 6500K white point. The screen surface is semi-glossy (light matte) and not grainy like older IPS panels. The colour gamut is roughly sRGB, a bit higher but not wide gamut which gives things a vivid but still very natural and appropriately saturated look. This is a true 8-bit IPS panel which combines with a generous (but not wide) colour gamut and light matte screen surface to really do its large size justice. So in summary; everything is vibrant and beautifully varied.

Responsiveness is also strong with no 60Hz monitor (even TN panel ones) offering a significant advantage here. It has well implemented pixel overdrive and low levels of input lag.

Obviously dead pixels and whatnot can occur with any mainstream monitor, even those considerably more expensive than this one. Take advantage of Amazon's fantastic returns policy if you need it - hopefully you won't. This really is a good monitor for all-round use with a particular focus on games and movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is amazing., 7 Feb 2014
I have had a long and tragic history with monitors, one so depressing and yet so boring, I can't face telling you the tale. But long story short, ever since moving from CRT's to these modern flat panels, I've had nothing but disappointment, dead pixels, backlight bleed, image retention, etc.. I've been through several monitors, some I stuck with for a while and some had to be returned because they were just so pants.

The last one I had was really nice but it really cost me. It was an Apple Cinema Display 20", and it cost me about 390 which was more than I wanted to spend... but I just couldn't find anything else which had a good 8bit panel and yet good construction and all the other stuff that is important. I was so tired of flakey ones with problems.

It served me well for a good 6 years or so, but I really wanted an upgrade so just took a chance on this, mostly because it looks so great and I couldn't find many negatives about it online, not ones that mattered to me anyway (no USB hub? - whatever). And I also was relying on Amazon's hassle free returns to save me if it had problems, and I 50/50 assumed it would have various faults, that's just how this industry seems to be.

To my amazement and joy, this thing is absolutely epic. It's a little bit taller than my 20" screen was, maybe about quarter of an inch or so, but the width is something like 175% of my previous screen (the Apple). And yet the image quality is not only just as good, but actually better. The colours are a lot more realistic and defined and vibrant, and very tweakable so you can get it exactly as you want it or use a calibrator. But the smoothness of movement on the screen is a big deal to me, games look amazing and so does scrolling through web pages. There is not a single dead or stuck pixel, the uniformity of the brightness and panel itself is really 100% perfect, I've never seen a screen like it, even my Dad's posh high end Sony Bravia from a year or two ago is not this good.

I used a pixel tester by the way, it makes the entire screen go different colours and you inspect the screen for dead pixels while each colour is displayed. I noticed that with an entirely black screen, there is very faint backlight bleed in some of the corners, but it's so faint that I could hardly see it (unlike other screens), and also in my experience, it tends to fade in time so I expect that in a few weeks this panel would technically have to be considered 100% perfect. And the behind the scenes stuff is great too. Runs smooth and seems very fast to me, looks amazing, very crisp, and great contrast. Truly top end experience for a bargain price (it was for me anyway, it varies I noticed).

Last thing to say, how do games and videos actually handle the strange width? Extremely well it seems. Most TV and film somehow manages to fit the entire screen, and it doesn't even stretch. I don't know how it works but it just looks amazing, so you have your star character in the middle of the screen, like 6 inches wide. But then to both the left and the right is several inches each side, with more stuff going on, and it somehow fills your vision and makes you feel like you are actually there, more than just watching it on a screen. Really great.

Gaming seems to be the same way. All the modern games I have just support the resolution natively. It is basically just a super expensive top end screen resolution width, just with a mid range monitor's height. So it seems to work perfectly fine without any hassle. I noticed with one game that external views had a slight fishbowl / wide angled lense type effect, but the game just looked absolutely mind blowing and at that resolution and filling so much more of my vision, it's a heck of a treat.

Not much left to say! I am so happy to finally buy a screen that not just suits my expectations but was even better than I even expected. And I'm an ordinary person by the way, not a paid for review or anything, so if you want to me to take a photo of it try anything for you, just comment this review and I'll try to help. It's an amazing screen, I hope you treat yourselves to one, you wont be disappointed and it seems this company deserves our business.

p.s. Build quality is fab, it's built like a tank and yet very thin and subtle and attractive. And yes I might take it to bed with me tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen for movies, games, browsing, everything!, 16 Jan 2014
Bought this screen to replace 2 Acer 27" monitors (1920x1080) and have not looked back.

It is the first thing that people mention when they see my desk (study is near the front door), they are always very interested and have had a few of them go on and buy similar screens based on using mine.

The extra 2 inches either side of the screen are immediately noticeable, whether it be watching movies or playing games.

Movies that usually have the black bars at the top are fully expanded to the screens impressive 2560x1080 resolution, which is at a cinema ratio of 21:9, so if you're a movie lover like myself then you will appreciate the extra width.

For games, wow. Playing Battlefield 4 (I play sniper) you actually get MORE screen to view. The FOV in other games also is impressive.

Having 2 web browsers side by side without the left-to-right scroll bar is also pretty neat.

All in all I will give this screen 5/5, delivery was very quick and the product is exactly as described.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's big, but..., 8 July 2014
The sizes of each pixel is quite big for my taste. Suddenly the anti-aliasing of graphical elements become plainly (or painly?) visible. Too big for my taste, but also my fault for ordering a monitor this size with this resolution. As the other commenter has mentioned the shape of the screen is too wide for it's supplied foot so that the monitor does indeed wooble when the table moves. If the table doesn't vibrate the monitor stays stable, too. Other than that, the finish looks nice, as well the projected image's contrasts, brightness and colours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, let down by a bad build., 7 July 2014
On arrival I was surprised by how good this monitor was, the super wide aspect ratio of the screen is great for completing work and watching videos at the same time, it's also great for playing games.

The speakers however are awful, so don't even consider buying this for the speakers, a 10 set from anywhere decent will be about 10x better than the muddy sound quality this monitor produces.

After seven days of owning the monitor I noticed it had started to overheat at the bottom of the screen bezel, right by the AOC Logo, it gets so hot that it was painful to touch with bare hands. Around the same time I also noticed it has stared to make a gargling sound from the back of the screen, this sounded a person trying to clear their throat.

I am in the process of sending the screen back to Amazon and will be buying another 21:9 screen from a more reputable brand such as Asus or LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 13 May 2014
Don't worry about the aspect ratio. After about 10 minutes you'll love it.

Games are great.

HD video is great.

Browsing over more than 1 page - again great.

Perfect for kids who like to play Minecraft while watching YouTube on how to play Minecraft!!!!

Go for it - as well as being functional, it's also a great quality monitor - excellent picture for the money.

Like the functionality and picture quality.

Don't like that the box had been opened - clearly wasn't used though, otherwise I would have sent it back

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I've made!, 5 May 2014
I was looking for a monitor to replace my 32" LED Samsung TV, so I could play my PS3 on it & run my laptop through it to watch movies.

I did alot of research into this type of monitor (21:9) and came across varied opinions about the resolution etc and probems people were having with it.
I decided to jump in with 2 feet and give it a go, so glad I did!!!!

The minute it arrived, it came straight out the box, menus on the screen took a little bit to get my head round but very easy to use once you figure it out. I plugged the PS3 in through HDMI and holy moly what a difference this makes to gameplay.
Quality of the picture is amazing, easily beats my LED Samsung TV, the wide view truly is awesome.
I played GT6, Test Drive Unlimited 2 & The Last of Us and what a massive improvement, really loving the wide aspect.
I then plugged my laptop (running windows 8) in through HDMI and it instantly flashed up, the desktop came up in fullscreen, no stretching or blurred text etc. I ran a few 1080p movies using vlc player and media player classic and all I can say is simply WOW!
What a difference watching the movies without the black bars top and bottom, the quality is unbelievable and it automatically fills the whole screen, I love it!

Obviously if the movie isn't 21:9 but 16:9, you get black bars left and right of the screen but that made absolutely no difference to me, but have read somewhere online that you can get programs which convert it to 21:9, but I'm more than happy with it the way it is.
I also played Skyrim + Command & Conquer Generals on the laptop through the monitor and once again, it looks amazing!

Lastly the sound, yeah the sound from the monitor isn't great. It's pretty much the same as any other slim lcd/led TV of this size but I use a surround sound headset so doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Overall this monitor is 10/10 from me and can't see me ever going back to a 16:9 screen after having this, it simply is brilliant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›