5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor (a real head turner! :D )
First of all it arrived very quickly, so all good there.

The first thing I would say is that the monitor looks quite amazing as its so extreme!

Published 7 months ago by Acrylic-Splashbacks.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable
Published 7 months ago by Angelus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor (a real head turner! :D ), 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: AOC Q2963PM 29 inch Ultrawide IPS LED Monitor (21:9, 2560x1080, 6ms, UWHD) (Personal Computers)
First of all it arrived very quickly, so all good there.

However, for a while I was actually considering returning it due to my Macbook 2008 not being able to match the resolution (max 1280 x 1024). As a result everything was either either stretched or massive if I used my native resolution. My graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB) supported the resolution but my Mac didn't (if that makes sense) and Geforce had stopped updates for it. So I was quite gutted for a while.

After ALOT of research I managed to find a software called SwitchResX which is free and enables you to force the correct resolution to the monitor (2510 x 1080)

Now everything looks perfect and crisp! I really hope this helps others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality monitor. The praise is not false., 17 May 2014
Been having this monitor for around a month now and I am very impressed with it, especially considering that many other monitors like this cost around 900 mark or more. This one does everything I need it to. I do not understand why would I spend more money, as I can not detect any flaws in it and it actually has some advantages too.

Advantages:

- Very good build. Almost entirely metal, this thing weights more than my 32 inch Sony Bravia TV. It looks very sturdy. It also has special anti-scratch and shock-resistant panel on top of the screen. It doesn't interfere with the picture at all, but it prevents the screen from external harm. And it is quite a good plate too, for example even touching the screen and applying pressure will not create the distortions that you would see on most other screens, be it PC, TV or anything else.
- Screen does not heat up and create strong magnetic fields. Unlike TFT screens IPS panels do not heat up, which means the screen will not serve to further dry up the room's air. Furthermore it seems to generate much weaker magnetic field (my father's a physicist, so I have the devices to measure), which means it will not accelerate dust into your eyes like many other other monitors do. This doesn't mean you shouldn't take breaks to relax your eyes a little every now and then, but it does mean that the screen it generally friendlier to the eyeball.
- IPS panel. As you know. The more expensive IPS panel provides much better color reproduction than TFT screens and generally results in a richer, more vibrant pictures. It is especially good for longer sessions, as it is not so tiring for the eyes (again).
- Very fast for an IPS screen. This screen is also extremely fast. It says 6ms, but to be honest I found it to be more like 3 or 4, which is even faster than my old BenQ TFT screen. The overdrive is unnoticeable at all and also has 3 levels you can choose between to suit your needs. This is very good, considering that most IPS screens do not allow to customize the pixel overdrive levels.
- Good OCD options. A fair bit of options on OCD. One in particular is good: time out option. I set it to 45s so it doesn't disappear while I am calibrating. The screen also natively supports PnP inputs and Picture in Picture mode. For example you can turn on the mode, plug in your secondary device (e.g. mobile) and it will show your mobile device's screen alongside the desktop on the monitor. Not drivers or anything required. Handy for the office use.
- Higher-than-normal colour gamut. This is an advantage over the more expensive models, as this screen has a slightly bigger colour gamut reproduction than majority of the screens on the market. This is exceptionally useful if you are working with things for printing but it also just provides a more pleasant experience. It is noticeable. I have a second screen working right next to it and the colour reproduction of the IPS panel combined with the increased colour gamut of this screen make for a startling difference.

Differences:

- 21:9 Ultrawide experience is something you'll have to get used to. I personally love it, it not only makes my eyes and head move, but also provides a more relaxed experience in games, work or movies if I watch them. Having more screen space resonates well with how human brain works, as it is used to having to focus on one thing and having a lot of detail left in the peripheral vision. With smaller screens you have less space, but same level of detail, and as such your eyes have to focus on all of the detail, which can at times make you just a little bit tired. That said, this kind of experience is very different and people with conservative mindset may find it uncomfortable due to it's large deviation from the norm.
- 2560x1080 resolution takes it's toll. If you are a gamer, this screen will need a good GPU. I have a GTX770 OC with a second GTX460 dedicated to PhysX and CUDA when I do 3D CG rendering. With this setup I am having no major issues with framerate. Warframe dropped from usual 140-160 to 100fps, maxed out, nothing that I would notice. Left 4 Dead 2 and Stanley Parable as well as other Source games don't seem to struggle either. Sleeping Dogs, Dead Space 3, all those ran fine on this setup; that said, I have not yet tried Witcher 2 or Crysis 3 with this resolution yet. Whatever the case, I think my setup is about the average of what you'll need for comfortable gaming at native resolution of this screen.
- 60Hz monitor. Like all IPS screens, this does not go higher than 60 with default settings. You can, however, OC it to around a 100, which is ludicrous considering it's size, panel and most importantly: price. Really really good. However having higher refresh rate also means that anything that runs at lower fps than that will appear more sluggish. If you are capable of unleashing 100+ fps in all games, by all means. But I have a pleasant enough experience with 60Hz.
- Weight. Like I mentioned, it's really heavy. If this matters to you, then well, it's a disadvantage. But to me, as one who has it at home desktop and not planning to take it anywhere? I couldn't give a toss.

Disadvantages:

- Poor factory calibration. This screen is badly calibrated out of the box. It looks weird with overabundance of red, very poor whites, compensated with hugely overpowered brightness. If you buy it, get ready to do some heavy calibration. I spent 2 hours making a good picture on it. Brightness is especially an issue. It's just insane. I have it at 20% now and it's still quite a bit brighter than my old screen. It might be good on a sunny day if you are sitting far away, but normally I have to cut it way down and readjust contrast and colours to compensate for the change in the level of whites.
- No tilting or height adjustments. Well tilting is kinda useless on a screen like this, but height adjustment, I do miss. You CAN adjust the facing angle of the screen (looking up or down), but you can not rotate it around the depth axis (e.g. make it into a portrait orientation or something). Height adjustment for a large screen like this is certainly a miss IMO. You want it to be about on your eye level for comfortable overview of it's large area. It can be a big issue if your chair does not have a height adjustment or if your table is too low.
- The panel that protects the actual screen, as I mentioned above, has a little gap between the rest of the screen's body and itself. The gap surrounds the whole viewing area and it can collect dust and dirt as time goes on. It's only some 2mm wide, so cleaning it out can be a bit of a problem if left unattended for long.
- It's unusual resolution WILL create compatibility issues. Especially in games. If a game does not properly support Borderless window mode (which should automatically render: NOT scale, in your native resolution) or support full screen mode in this resolution you will either have to deal with vertical black bars, horribly skewed picture or using various external tools to force renderer to work in 2560x1080. Games like Loadout do not support this resolution in any way. Sleeping Dogs UI does not scale properly with this resolution (although the engine does properly render it). Generally games which have Borderless Window mode, will work well though, so it's not a huge issue,but rather a minor annoyance. At least for me.
- It's white reproduction is not amazing, even after many calibrations. Using the tests on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ the White was the only one which I was not able to get perfectly right. The bottom right corner still didn't show any difference between the squares, as they all appeared white regardless. This is somewhat rare as most screens have the opposite issue: blacks. However this one perfectly passed the blacks test without the need for any extra calibration. It's the whites it was not able to get quite right.

Overall:

This is arguably the best screen for it's price on the market really. Unbelievably good for how little it asks for. I have had it only for a month, so I can not say anything about reliability yet, but as far as everything else goes, this is a ridiculously good screen. All the praise from the reviewers was not false, this really is an amazing screen, I have never had a better one, and I never did skimp on the monitors.

If you have the money, and are not terribly afraid of UltraWide, buy it. Judging from what other people say, it is not prone to failure, which means you are very unlikely to find anything better for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is amazing., 7 Feb 2014
I have had a long and tragic history with monitors, one so depressing and yet so boring, I can't face telling you the tale. But long story short, ever since moving from CRT's to these modern flat panels, I've had nothing but disappointment, dead pixels, backlight bleed, image retention, etc.. I've been through several monitors, some I stuck with for a while and some had to be returned because they were just so pants.

The last one I had was really nice but it really cost me. It was an Apple Cinema Display 20", and it cost me about £390 which was more than I wanted to spend... but I just couldn't find anything else which had a good 8bit panel and yet good construction and all the other stuff that is important. I was so tired of flakey ones with problems.

It served me well for a good 6 years or so, but I really wanted an upgrade so just took a chance on this, mostly because it looks so great and I couldn't find many negatives about it online, not ones that mattered to me anyway (no USB hub? - whatever). And I also was relying on Amazon's hassle free returns to save me if it had problems, and I 50/50 assumed it would have various faults, that's just how this industry seems to be.

To my amazement and joy, this thing is absolutely epic. It's a little bit taller than my 20" screen was, maybe about quarter of an inch or so, but the width is something like 175% of my previous screen (the Apple). And yet the image quality is not only just as good, but actually better. The colours are a lot more realistic and defined and vibrant, and very tweakable so you can get it exactly as you want it or use a calibrator. But the smoothness of movement on the screen is a big deal to me, games look amazing and so does scrolling through web pages. There is not a single dead or stuck pixel, the uniformity of the brightness and panel itself is really 100% perfect, I've never seen a screen like it, even my Dad's posh high end Sony Bravia from a year or two ago is not this good.

I used a pixel tester by the way, it makes the entire screen go different colours and you inspect the screen for dead pixels while each colour is displayed. I noticed that with an entirely black screen, there is very faint backlight bleed in some of the corners, but it's so faint that I could hardly see it (unlike other screens), and also in my experience, it tends to fade in time so I expect that in a few weeks this panel would technically have to be considered 100% perfect. And the behind the scenes stuff is great too. Runs smooth and seems very fast to me, looks amazing, very crisp, and great contrast. Truly top end experience for a bargain price (it was for me anyway, it varies I noticed).

Last thing to say, how do games and videos actually handle the strange width? Extremely well it seems. Most TV and film somehow manages to fit the entire screen, and it doesn't even stretch. I don't know how it works but it just looks amazing, so you have your star character in the middle of the screen, like 6 inches wide. But then to both the left and the right is several inches each side, with more stuff going on, and it somehow fills your vision and makes you feel like you are actually there, more than just watching it on a screen. Really great.

Gaming seems to be the same way. All the modern games I have just support the resolution natively. It is basically just a super expensive top end screen resolution width, just with a mid range monitor's height. So it seems to work perfectly fine without any hassle. I noticed with one game that external views had a slight fishbowl / wide angled lense type effect, but the game just looked absolutely mind blowing and at that resolution and filling so much more of my vision, it's a heck of a treat.

Not much left to say! I am so happy to finally buy a screen that not just suits my expectations but was even better than I even expected. And I'm an ordinary person by the way, not a paid for review or anything, so if you want to me to take a photo of it try anything for you, just comment this review and I'll try to help. It's an amazing screen, I hope you treat yourselves to one, you wont be disappointed and it seems this company deserves our business.

p.s. Build quality is fab, it's built like a tank and yet very thin and subtle and attractive. And yes I might take it to bed with me tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars 21:9 Could Just Be The Next Big Thing in Monitors, 22 Sep 2014
J. Clark - See all my reviews
The AOC Q2963PM is a great entry point into the 21:9 monitor game. The wide screen real estate allows for a range of applications and it never fails to impress.

Movies are a joy. The great colour replication and viewing angles make for a fantastic experience. The speakers are clearly less than impressive, as with all monitors, but the back IO has it's own 3.5mm output for easy speaker set up. Games benefit greatly from the aspect ratio, mainly racing games and first person titles where impression are key. Where it shines however is in productivity. You can fit 2-3 windows easily, having videos on one side and webpages on the other or research on one half while you type without having to switch back and forth.

The range of inputs is impressive, with HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort. Response time is fine for IPS, along with input lag that is fine for the average user though won't be impressing any competitive players. A standard VESA compatible mount is found on the back which makes up for the tilt only stand included. The bezels are a bit flimsy but not a worry, it's a monitor after all.

Overall it's a fantastic package that can argue it's place in most applications. The IPS display is a joy, the movie watching experience cannot be rivalled in this range and at this price it's about as good as it gets for gaming immersion.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional performer, even amongst IPS, 21 Jan 2014
Mr. A. J. Simmons "AJS" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
At first I was a bit unsure as to what to make about the physical dimensions of the product. The screen is wider than a 30" 16:10 monitor but only as tall as a 23" model. It didn't take long before these doubts evaporated. Whilst you don't get the same vertical real-estate that's useful for desktop use as you would on a 2560 x 1440 model, you do get some useful extra width over 1920 x 1080. Where this monitor really shines is for games and movies. The panoramic view and 21:9 aspect ratio gives you a wider FOV horizontally without affecting vertical FOV on most game titles and makes for a truly engaging and immersive experience. Most movies nowadays are filmed in aspect ratios that will fit the monitor very nicely - and although Blu-rays are limited to 1920 x 1080 they upscale beautifully without any obvious loss of detail or sharpness.

Of course there is more to a monitor than just its size. This monitor is also an exceptional performer, even for an IPS panel (I have used many - I review them). Static contrast sits at around 1100:1 after the very small amount of tweaking you have to do to get a perfect 2.2 gamma and 6500K white point. The screen surface is semi-glossy (light matte) and not grainy like older IPS panels. The colour gamut is roughly sRGB, a bit higher but not wide gamut which gives things a vivid but still very natural and appropriately saturated look. This is a true 8-bit IPS panel which combines with a generous (but not wide) colour gamut and light matte screen surface to really do its large size justice. So in summary; everything is vibrant and beautifully varied.

Responsiveness is also strong with no 60Hz monitor (even TN panel ones) offering a significant advantage here. It has well implemented pixel overdrive and low levels of input lag.

Obviously dead pixels and whatnot can occur with any mainstream monitor, even those considerably more expensive than this one. Take advantage of Amazon's fantastic returns policy if you need it - hopefully you won't. This really is a good monitor for all-round use with a particular focus on games and movies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 15 Feb 2014
I bought one of these, and after only a few weeks, the DVI input failed. Amazon immediately arranged a replacement, but when it arrived (with an opened box like others have reported), unlike the first one that had a perfect panel, it had a dead pixel and a double stuck sub-pixel (blue and green in the same pixel) near the centre of the screen. Incredibly annoying, but well within the ludicrously-generous ISO 9241-307 Class 1 limits that the AOC EMEA warranty works to. Within 12 hours, a vertical red line then started appearing intermittently near the right hand edge of the screen, so it's going back to be replaced by a Dell U2913WM. That monitor seems to have quality issues of its own too, but at least Dell will replace the panel if there are any stuck pixels at all. There's not really all that much choice right now in the 21:9 market, but as I'm replacing a pair of old 1280 x 1024 monitors, 2560 x 1080 works perfectly for me so I'm sticking with it.

I can see many other people who have had no issues, so maybe I just got unlucky. If you do decide to buy it for wall-mounting, though, be aware that with the stand removed and the back plate folded down, the bottom of the back plate is more or less flush with the bottom of the monitor. So, although you can hide any connection to the side of the back plate, you cannot hide anything that goes into the bottom. Like the power plug, for instance. The mounting holes are inset, too, so you'll need some spacers to fit between your mounting plate and the monitor. Really not well designed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen for movies, games, browsing, everything!, 16 Jan 2014
Bought this screen to replace 2 Acer 27" monitors (1920x1080) and have not looked back.

It is the first thing that people mention when they see my desk (study is near the front door), they are always very interested and have had a few of them go on and buy similar screens based on using mine.

The extra 2 inches either side of the screen are immediately noticeable, whether it be watching movies or playing games.

Movies that usually have the black bars at the top are fully expanded to the screens impressive 2560x1080 resolution, which is at a cinema ratio of 21:9, so if you're a movie lover like myself then you will appreciate the extra width.

For games, wow. Playing Battlefield 4 (I play sniper) you actually get MORE screen to view. The FOV in other games also is impressive.

Having 2 web browsers side by side without the left-to-right scroll bar is also pretty neat.

All in all I will give this screen 5/5, delivery was very quick and the product is exactly as described.

3.0 out of 5 stars good ish, 2 April 2014
for £300 you really shouldn't complain about this monitor. It does what it says on the tin and is an excellent price.

but I should point out its poor speakers which are very quiet at times even sitting a few foot from it. ( I've since bought separate speakers)

also i'm not in love with the aspect ratio i've came from a 28 inch monitor that had greater height but lower width perhaps ill get used to this but it was very difficult to find a monitor that was the same as the old one in this price bracket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Video screen order, 2 April 2014
This screen arrived in good condition with power, vga, HDMI, audio cables and some cable management and extra rubber feet. Assembly is a no brainer. Plugs in and works immediately, there is software for pc to give split screen and configure etc. I can't find any for my Mac yet. Edge of screen is a little cheap and weak, but otherwise it is fine and is 50 pounds cheaper than the similar LG model. Plus I am guessing both these screens use the same LED panels.

5.0 out of 5 stars AOC 29" Monitor, 1 April 2014
Brilliant Monitor,love it,games and images/videos in high res are amazing,
Will never go back to a standard monitor after this etc,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›