5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read !

Published 13 months ago by ES

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood of Kings. By Andrew James.
A good tale, based on history. Easy to read, good characters. What I didn't like we're the numerous, graphic, horrific, extremely gory details of the battles, fights and torture etc. Not my cup of tea, I mainly skipped through these, finding them distasteful and boring.
Published 15 days ago by Patricia

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read !, 23 Mar 2013
Blood of Kings

Though this book is excitingly intriguing, it is so easy to read and understand that I did not want to put it down until the very last word! The opening chapter sets the scene evocatively in the year 537 BC in the heart of the Persian Empire where two fourteen year old boys are practising shooting bows and arrows whilst riding their horses; the emotions and reactions which are those of any fourteen year old boy even today are movingly described! We learn that one of the boys has aspirations which he keeps to himself and how, as an adult, he tries to achieve these aspirations is the narrative which grippingly unfolds taking in beauty and harshness of nature, treachery love, mud houses, castles pyramids and temples together with all the mystique of the Persian Empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
If you like Wilbur Smith, you will enjoy this.
Easy to follow, unable to put the kindle down. Very good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
An extremely entertaining read from start to finish, I couldn't put the book down and managed to finish it within a few days! It was refreshing to read a story with factual snippets about the Persians and how brilliant they were. The battle scenes came to life with the author's fantastic storytelling and I can't wait until the hard copy comes out so I can keep it in the book shelf forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood of kings, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
I am always apprehensive about reading books by a an author I've not read before, but I was keen to read this story so took the plunge.
I am so pleased I did, after a slow start i've been thoroughly absorbed and find it hard to stop reading chapter after chapter.
If you enjoy Bernard Cornwell and Conn Igullden as I do, I highly recommend you read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book!, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
Disagree with previous reviewer, every bit as good as Conn Iggulden in my opinion. Characters were great, battle scenes were great, really first class. Like all the other reviewers, I just couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 2 Jun 2013
Stephen Watters (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
This was a 'shot in the dark' and it really paid off. The book is an enjoyable and adictive read. I was reading on the beach and time just seemed to vanish. There was a desire to find out what happened next and to learn more about the characters. I don't know what life in the desert is really like, but if Andrew James has been even 50% accurate ... then I for one am happy to read about it at a safe distance!
This is a book to enjoy and fits with many of its genre - Try Parthian and its follow-ups for a similar read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly well researched novel that really grips the reader, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
First, a confession - I did not expect to like this novel as I had little knowledge of the period other than poorly remembered junior school history classes about the land between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates and it's position as the first recorded civilisation. I recalled The Hanging Gardens of Babylon but had no appreciation of the Persian Empire other than its supposed destruction by Alexander the Great.

Imagine my surprise to realise just what a massive and long-lived empire it was. The story line gripped me - always a prerequisite for enjoying a lengthy novel! Indeed, a week after finishing it I took it with me on holiday to read again! Well I needed something to interest me while waiting to download Bernard Cornwell's new Warrior Chronicle on it's release... Reading it a second time brought me better understanding of the story, as did reading the authors own notes about his extended residence in one of the locations important to the tale - Egypt, at a rather delicate period in that nation's history following the 'Arab Spring' and Musharraf's downfall.

Overall I would rate the novel as very good and the author's efforts as outstanding. I will look forward to a follow-up novel from his word processor!

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
great read a new part of ancient history for me. I look forward to some more stories about this period

5.0 out of 5 stars You are there, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
This is such an evocative book and the descriptions so colourful you really feel you are there. A film or tv would not do this book justice. It was also my first novel to read on the Kindle and both experiences were joyous.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden treasure both gripping and enthralling!, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally purchase on recommendation as tastes vary. However, I am so pleased I was persuaded to read Blood of Kings. I will admit to reservations both with a new author and subject matter. It may be a cliche to say I couldn't put the book down but it really was such an easy and compelling book to read.There are great battle scenes and the characterisation was excellent. There are some wonderful characters both good and bad. There was a highly entertaining love interest in the form of Parmys. All in all I would say this book is a hidden treasure.

ARRAY(0x9d26aa14)