Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.94

on 26 February 2013
This isn't going to be a review from some ultra knowledgeable metal head that knows every band, every record and every album. This is a review from a guy who likes a wide array of musical genres and occasionally dips in and out of music like Darkthrone, Burzum and Mayhem. What I can say immediately about this new album is that I've been listening to it all day and it has really got my blood racing. This is head-banging, turn it up and start rocking out music. I was trying to read a book and had this on in the background on first listen. I gave up after the first track, put the book down, turned the music up and saturated myself in the music.
This isn't all growly stuff like some of their earlier albums. A lot of the songs have an old school 1980's metal feel about them with Fenris belting out melodic, operatic high note vocals. It's a great mix with Ted growling through his vocal parts, and this contrast in vocal styles makes each track stand out as an individual arrangement. All complimented of course by banging drums and glorious riff after riff, which is what I've come to expect from Darkthrone over the years. I'll leave the more technical reviews to more knowledgeable people, and I won't pretend to be something that I'm not. All I can do is review it from my own knowledge base, and what I can say in conclusion is that this album is not the same old same old from Darkthrone. It's still heavy, it's still full of head banging riffs, but it's also old fashioned, in a good way and as I plan on spending the rest of my day listening to the album I conclude that this is a good thing, a very good thing indeed.
on 28 March 2013
From the first release "Soulside Journey" to now "The Underground Resistance" Darkthrone have continued to release solid awesome albums/cds.Never afraid to be just who they are they have yet again pushed futher beyond what they did before with "Circle the Wagons" and released possibly the most powerful album to date.That is some feat for them but they have done it!!The riffs are to die for.If this was the only extreme metal album/cd release this year we in this scene could still hold our heads high.It is probably their best yet!!I can't wait for what they bring next,see,job done,am already hungry for more!
on 19 September 2013
Darkthrone constantly reinvent themselves, this is slightly less of the crust punk of recent years and more old school 80's metal...it sounds like a Mercyful Fate/Celtic Frost jam session. Considering how much I love both of those bands that's me paying this album a very high compliment! Astounding stuff, this album is enormous fun and chock full of great riffs and is surprisingly catchy. One of the best metal albums released this year so far.
on 22 October 2013
this album is ace.
the last track is 13 mins long and still not long enough.
some excellent musicianship and wonderful vocals. if you like heavy metal this is an album worth getting.
its not the blackest of black metal albums, but don't let that put you off.
if there had been a couple more tracks of the same quality this would have got 5 stars.
on 29 June 2014
The duo of Fenriz and Nocturno Culto return for another batch of crusty old metal and punk, though the focus is much more on metal for this Darkthrone outing. There’s plenty of variety – from the pure cheese of power metal to much harder deathly offerings. While not the band’s best work there are plenty of moments to enjoy – particularly if you take the view that the Norwegian duo are actually taking the piss, of which there is plenty of evidence on the record.
on 5 July 2015
Top relasevfrom Darkthrone. More trashy than BM but totally did the job for me. If not careful you will find yourself singing along to this one.
on 23 January 2015
on 2 November 2013
bought this for my friends son who is delighted with same...no problems with post and packaging and it arrived on time...