4.0 out of 5 stars You can Cure Yourself with some help
Published 23 months ago by H. S. Hallam

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not sure it is suited to the British patient.
Information excellent, well written but a bit repetitive. Interesting to read that the book is written by a previously sceptical medic who had her own health problems. The medical system is very different in Britain and it would be impossible for most people to set up a supportive group of medics as recommended.
Published 11 months ago by anne hill

4.0 out of 5 stars You can Cure Yourself with some help, 6 July 2013
H. S. Hallam "Sax Hallam" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A well researched and interesting book but I felt that the write rather "over egged the pudding". She had shown proof of the healing power of the mind, but then went on with more and more proof by which time I started to lose interest. This is, maybe, because this is a subject I am familiar with. Basically it comes down to the fact that if you really believe in the power of the doctor or healer and change your mindset and lifestyle you will be healed. I would suggest reading Born a Healer by Chunyi Lin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flowing with positive life energy!, 4 Oct. 2013
This book is amazing! I've always believed in the power of creative visualisation and Dr. Lissa Rankin takes it to another level, sharing her personal journey to wellness as well as other documented cases of mental attitudes affecting positive outcomes in illness. It's about the power of life balance, and positive action when dealing with all levels of illness - or better yet - ensuring you stay well and don't have to face being sick in the first place. Have some tissues to hand, some of the stories are heart-wrenching, but very inspiring!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 29 Aug. 2013
Ravenschild (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Contains a lot of evidence with regards to trials & successes regarding the role that the mind plays in recovery and healing. From "miracle" healings at Lourdes through to placebo trials. The author also touches on the importance of diet, exercise etc to aid recovery. However I do feel that the chapter that discusses the role of alternative therapies in the healing process & that this once again may be a sort of placebo effect may not give them the credit they deserve. On a personal note, in the past, I have channelled Reiki healing to animals, who have made amazing recoveries where all else has failed - this obviously cannot be due to the Placebo effect. I feel that energy medicine in all it's different forms, can also play a significant role in healing. This in itself gives rise to great concern when we see how much we are increasingly subjected to modern technology that only serves to disrupt our energy fields.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not sure it is suited to the British patient., 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real doctor talking real sense!, 26 Aug. 2013
A well written, easy-to-read book full of common sense backed up with scientific proof for the sceptically minded...
For me this confirms what I have always thought true but have always been scoffed at by medical hierarchy. How the mind perceives your situation in life is crucial for good health - when relaxed and happy, you feel better in yourself. As someone who suffers from an incurable form of Cushings, I know the vital role cortisol and the endocrine system have in the body and that achieving a good balance throughout is crucial. This book has given me hope again that I really can beat this by using my mind in addition to conventional medicine!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a quartes through this book and it has already showing me were I gone wrong, 21 May 2013
Brilliant book very good concept it make you understand why people get ill even they take care about themself and how important your childhood abringing has and what your subcounciouse mind plays for your health.
It also gives you the tools to reprogram yourself and reconise the bad habbits and ideas which can make us ill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 24 Oct. 2013
I suffer from a chronic illness and have read many self-help books. Whilst I do not always accept the theories and advice in this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author is American so the advice is not always applicable to a British reader. However, the best thing I like about this book is that you get a sense that the author really has a desire to help you and genuinely believes that she is offering you the best advice and help she can. There is plenty of free on-line advice, articles and forums to follow up the book so the author gently prods and nudges you to keep trying. I never expected the book to completely cure me and I really do not know how to implement any of the ideas but I would recommend this book just because it is interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and Inspirational!, 26 Jun. 2013
Ever since I began my spiritual journey, I have been instinctively aware of the links between the mind and the body and my reading has hinted at this link. I have followed Dr Lissa Rankin's blogs over the last few years and I am so pleased that her book has brought all the loose threads together. The fact that she has done her research and is an MD who has been prepared to be open minded and brave enough to challenge traditional approaches to illness and medicine provides the evidence and credibility that's often lacking in other books.

I am a Complementary Therapist practicing Reiki in Hospices and reading this book helps me to explain to my clients the benefits of relaxation in aiding them to better cope with their illnesses.

Thank you Dr Rankin. You are a brave and inspirational lady.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fallacy, 10 Jun. 2014
This book contains many pages of anecdotal evidence from, to what some people would say are, sources which may not be trustworthy.

Is this a how to book, not really. It is a book geared to saying, look I am an overworked Doctor, that packed medicine in because of my lack of self control and now I have studied some more, and found evidence from various sources which I want to put forward as evidence that the mind has control over the body.

A decent book, but please please have an open mind, and temper your thoughts when reading this. There are many reports from around the world, where people have been healed by faith alone, be that faith in a Doctor or a Priest or indeed faith in many different forms. That the mind is a powerful aide into healing, I have no doubt, just think of the pilgrims that travel long distances to places where they feel they will be healed, and miraculously they are, whilst others are not, and those feel they don't have enough faith, for the healing process to work. I don't believe for one moment that is the case, and it is more likely that the faith helps certain people, not because of the faith itself, but because of the way the body works. You could just as easily say, that these people have not got better, because they have stopped the body healing itself, until they get to their destinations.
There are many instances where people have felt better at a church service, only to leave then feel like they did before. This could be group therapy of many minds or could just be that someone gets ill because of loneliness.

I was a smoker for over thirty years, having tried many different ways of stopping, NRT hypnotherapy and cold turkey. I eventually managed to stop in one day, using something called bioresonance. This is apparently described as a quack medicine therapy by many, and yet worked, so I have no doubt that there are many things in this world, Doctors just do not understand.

Books like this, do gloss over certain facts, whilst promoting the idea they are selling. So whenever you read something like this, please make sure you have an open mind, and take all factors into consideration, and not be led down a path of tunnel mindedness.
The main thing is you have an open mind, and not close it because of ignorance amid critical reviews by closed minded individuals. These are the same sort that said man could never fly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Over Medicine, 27 Oct. 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
An interesting book written in an enthusiastic style by an author who has experienced healing in her own body by changing her lifestyle and her thinking. Many people do not accept that the mind can heal the body and conversely that the mind can make the body suffer physical illness. Many others feel that to suggest to someone who is ill that it is their brain which has caused the illness is not productive or helpful.

Modern medicine can only go so far in curing illness and it is the powerful healing processes in the patient's own body and mind which need to be harnessed to produce a cure. The author quotes scientific research and personal experience as well as individual cases which show how the body and mind interact to produce both illness and `wellness'.

Optimistic people seem to live longer and have fewer health problems than the pessimists amongst us. Studies have been carried out among groups of people who all have the same living conditions - e.g. nuns - and the optimists amongst them lived several years longer than the pessimists and had fewer illnesses and health problems.

Maybe more work needs to be carried out to assess whether we are seeing cause and effect here - or something else but the studies the author quotes from are at the very least persuasive. One thing about being an optimist is that you are likely to enjoy life more even if you are ill. I was particularly struck by two cases the author quotes of children - one recovered from an apparently incurable cancer and the other who died. Happiness, hope and disappointment seem to have played a part in both cases.

The author offers many suggestions about how you can improve your own health in some comprehensive appendices. There are many notes on the text of the book if readers wish to follow up any of the sources. If you are interested in the mind body connection then this is a fascinating book.