4.0 out of 5 stars You can Cure Yourself with some help
Published 15 months ago by H. S. Hallam

3.0 out of 5 stars Having cancer with metastasis
Interesting reading, thought provoking Will be trying some of the exercises, have read hay books which were Inspiring actually do think of what I actually have read.
Published 3 months ago by Penny studley

4.0 out of 5 stars You can Cure Yourself with some help, 6 July 2013
H. S. Hallam "Sax Hallam" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A well researched and interesting book but I felt that the write rather "over egged the pudding". She had shown proof of the healing power of the mind, but then went on with more and more proof by which time I started to lose interest. This is, maybe, because this is a subject I am familiar with. Basically it comes down to the fact that if you really believe in the power of the doctor or healer and change your mindset and lifestyle you will be healed. I would suggest reading Born a Healer by Chunyi Lin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fallacy, 10 Jun 2014
This book contains many pages of anecdotal evidence from, to what some people would say are, sources which may not be trustworthy.

Is this a how to book, not really. It is a book geared to saying, look I am an overworked Doctor, that packed medicine in because of my lack of self control and now I have studied some more, and found evidence from various sources which I want to put forward as evidence that the mind has control over the body.

A decent book, but please please have an open mind, and temper your thoughts when reading this. There are many reports from around the world, where people have been healed by faith alone, be that faith in a Doctor or a Priest or indeed faith in many different forms. That the mind is a powerful aide into healing, I have no doubt, just think of the pilgrims that travel long distances to places where they feel they will be healed, and miraculously they are, whilst others are not, and those feel they don't have enough faith, for the healing process to work. I don't believe for one moment that is the case, and it is more likely that the faith helps certain people, not because of the faith itself, but because of the way the body works. You could just as easily say, that these people have not got better, because they have stopped the body healing itself, until they get to their destinations.
There are many instances where people have felt better at a church service, only to leave then feel like they did before. This could be group therapy of many minds or could just be that someone gets ill because of loneliness.

I was a smoker for over thirty years, having tried many different ways of stopping, NRT hypnotherapy and cold turkey. I eventually managed to stop in one day, using something called bioresonance. This is apparently described as a quack medicine therapy by many, and yet worked, so I have no doubt that there are many things in this world, Doctors just do not understand.

Books like this, do gloss over certain facts, whilst promoting the idea they are selling. So whenever you read something like this, please make sure you have an open mind, and take all factors into consideration, and not be led down a path of tunnel mindedness.
The main thing is you have an open mind, and not close it because of ignorance amid critical reviews by closed minded individuals. These are the same sort that said man could never fly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 29 Aug 2013
Ravenschild (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Contains a lot of evidence with regards to trials & successes regarding the role that the mind plays in recovery and healing. From "miracle" healings at Lourdes through to placebo trials. The author also touches on the importance of diet, exercise etc to aid recovery. However I do feel that the chapter that discusses the role of alternative therapies in the healing process & that this once again may be a sort of placebo effect may not give them the credit they deserve. On a personal note, in the past, I have channelled Reiki healing to animals, who have made amazing recoveries where all else has failed - this obviously cannot be due to the Placebo effect. I feel that energy medicine in all it's different forms, can also play a significant role in healing. This in itself gives rise to great concern when we see how much we are increasingly subjected to modern technology that only serves to disrupt our energy fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a quartes through this book and it has already showing me were I gone wrong, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book very good concept it make you understand why people get ill even they take care about themself and how important your childhood abringing has and what your subcounciouse mind plays for your health.
It also gives you the tools to reprogram yourself and reconise the bad habbits and ideas which can make us ill.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real doctor talking real sense!, 26 Aug 2013
A well written, easy-to-read book full of common sense backed up with scientific proof for the sceptically minded...
For me this confirms what I have always thought true but have always been scoffed at by medical hierarchy. How the mind perceives your situation in life is crucial for good health - when relaxed and happy, you feel better in yourself. As someone who suffers from an incurable form of Cushings, I know the vital role cortisol and the endocrine system have in the body and that achieving a good balance throughout is crucial. This book has given me hope again that I really can beat this by using my mind in addition to conventional medicine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 24 Oct 2013
I suffer from a chronic illness and have read many self-help books. Whilst I do not always accept the theories and advice in this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author is American so the advice is not always applicable to a British reader. However, the best thing I like about this book is that you get a sense that the author really has a desire to help you and genuinely believes that she is offering you the best advice and help she can. There is plenty of free on-line advice, articles and forums to follow up the book so the author gently prods and nudges you to keep trying. I never expected the book to completely cure me and I really do not know how to implement any of the ideas but I would recommend this book just because it is interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading and so insightful, 30 Sep 2013
I am still at the beginning of this book but, so far, I cannot agree with the author highly enough. I have always maintained that EVERYTHING in life is about an attitude of mind but it's opened my eyes to see that not only is how we perceive situations important but how we are also affected physiologically. I knew the mind was powerful but hadn't realised quite how much until reading this book. The author appears highly credible and writes in such a way that the layman (non medical) can understand. If only we could get this book issued as part of a visit to one's GP - the NHS would no longer be under strain! So....to precis: A great read on a great subject and very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting insight into the power of the Mind, 16 Mar 2014
This is an easy to read boo; simple to digest - informative, instructive and at times entertaining in its style - albeit the subject matter is serious and potentially life-saving. Lissa Rankin's book is well-researched and more than proves what has been known years although not - until recently - been taken seriously by the medical profession on the whole and the public at large. The fact that there is without doubt a connection between the mind, emotions, good health and illness is made even more pertinent perhaps because the author is herself a Doctor. One reviewer suggests that you buy two copies - one for yourself and one to hand to your doctor. I'd certainly endrose this. 'Mind Over Medicine' is an important book and its message carries a timely and easily-understood lesson that we all have the power to work with ourselves to optimise our health and wellbeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Over Medicine, 27 Oct 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
An interesting book written in an enthusiastic style by an author who has experienced healing in her own body by changing her lifestyle and her thinking. Many people do not accept that the mind can heal the body and conversely that the mind can make the body suffer physical illness. Many others feel that to suggest to someone who is ill that it is their brain which has caused the illness is not productive or helpful.

Modern medicine can only go so far in curing illness and it is the powerful healing processes in the patient's own body and mind which need to be harnessed to produce a cure. The author quotes scientific research and personal experience as well as individual cases which show how the body and mind interact to produce both illness and `wellness'.

Optimistic people seem to live longer and have fewer health problems than the pessimists amongst us. Studies have been carried out among groups of people who all have the same living conditions - e.g. nuns - and the optimists amongst them lived several years longer than the pessimists and had fewer illnesses and health problems.

Maybe more work needs to be carried out to assess whether we are seeing cause and effect here - or something else but the studies the author quotes from are at the very least persuasive. One thing about being an optimist is that you are likely to enjoy life more even if you are ill. I was particularly struck by two cases the author quotes of children - one recovered from an apparently incurable cancer and the other who died. Happiness, hope and disappointment seem to have played a part in both cases.

The author offers many suggestions about how you can improve your own health in some comprehensive appendices. There are many notes on the text of the book if readers wish to follow up any of the sources. If you are interested in the mind body connection then this is a fascinating book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written and researched book by a medical practitioner ..., 19 Aug 2014
Jan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A well written and researched book by a medical practitioner who used to be solely focused on a paternalistic medical, approach to caring for the 'physical' body. Her enlightenment is clear to see in this book and she gives clear signposts of how we might all achieve self-healing as she did, if we start to look at our bodies from a different perspective. Afterall, the energy is within us to do so if we wish. However,some may not have the financial resources required to access all the services she recommends as they might not be accessible or available on the NHS.