4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this immediately!
Published 19 months ago by Jennifer Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic and assassins
'The shutters swinging in the storm winds were the only sign of her entry.'

Published 1 month ago by Purpleheart

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this immediately!, 4 Dec. 2013
The second instalment of this series begins with Celaena undertaking her new job as King's Champion by assassinating those who have earned the King's displeasure. Through this she comes into contact with some people from her past. I would definitely recommend reading the e-novellas before reading this, just to meet anyone who appears in this book. I didn't read them until I had finished this book and it really felt like I was reading a series backwards, spoiling all the characters I met in Crown of Midnight but should have met in the novellas.

My favourite character, understandably, is Celaena. Sarah J Maas has written a perfect character in my opinion. Celaena is perfect in her imperfections. She is a kick-ass assassin that could hold her own in a fight with any man in this series, but still manages to be a shopaholic like an average teenager. When I am reading these books I always feel like Celaena could be a friend with mine. A character I can connect with as much as I can with Celaena is a rare thing! I love how she made mistakes in many ways, such as judging too harshly in some situations and letting her anger get the better of her. She is a fully fleshed out character that is utterly lovable even as you plead with her in your head not to do certain things or say certain things.

(This review seems far too vague but it's either this or a spoilerific review!)

Chaol, Celaena's love interest (unless of course you're a Dorian fan, in which case you couldn't be more wrong! Team Chaol all the way!) becomes a lot becomes a much more fleshed out character in this book, something which added quite a bit to the story over all.

There were no other characters featured heavily. Nehemia was again present but not much was developed from her personality in the previous book. Dorian was, of course, present again and there were a few scenes from his perspective. I have to admit that I really enjoyed these. Even though I'm a Chaol fan, seeing how much Dorian truly loved Celaena was lovely. For anybody who hasn't read this yet, there will be a big surprise for Dorian in the course of the book!

There were no primary characters I actively disliked, though there were a few secondary characters. The King of course begs to be hated, along with Roland, a new character to the book in the form of Dorian's cousin. Another new character I could not stand was Archer. He was a part of Celaena's latest assignment from the king and every time he was on the page he annoyed me. I felt justified in this by the end of the book, which you'll find out about!

The actual romance in the book was tooth-achingly sweet in the best way possible. The romance felt very natural and wasn't forced at all. One of my pet peeves is insta-love, and no one can accuse this romance of being an insta-love. There is of course a bit of a love triangle, though I wouldn't consider it a turn off for the book as it is very clear who Celaena prefers!

I have only praise for Maas' writing style which flowed really well. I hate descriptions that last pages and Maas managed to describe everything perfectly without resorting to this. I would fully recommend this book which is far superior to its predecessor. If you didn't enjoy the first one, I think you should still read this one, and if you liked or loved the first book in the series then Crown of Midnight will definitely be in your top ten for the year! Go get your hands on this immediately!

4.0 out of 5 stars High octane romantic action fantasy, 29 Sept. 2014
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As the sequel to "Throne of Glass" by Sarah J. Maas, "Crown of Midnight" continues the story of Celaena Sardothien, erstwhile Assassin of Adarlen and now newly appointed King's Champion. The action picks up straight from the earlier volume, with the author assuming pretty much throughout that her readers will be familiar with the story so far.

This second volume is a great improvement on the earlier one, having plenty of exciting action, as well as packing in lots some unexpected plot twists along the way. In addition, the earlier book's sorry lack of character development has been rectified, with much more believable and well-rounded portrayals of the principles as well as additional supporting members of the cast.

The book is not without its silly moments and stolen ideas (plus the author remains pretty inept at inventing credible character names) but these flaws can be easily overlooked, because by and large the plot development is kept tight and free flowing. At heart, the story remains as much a romance as it does a fantasy romp but the mix is much better balanced than in the earlier tale. The author delivers here an altogether more mature story-telling style but one which should nevertheless appeal to its primary audience of late-teenage/young adult readers every bit as much. Certainly anyone who enjoyed the first volume will love this.

The book nicely sets up the third part of Celaena's story, "Heir of Fire".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great world building and characters.., 30 July 2013
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Throne of Glass, book 1, is a YA fantasy which appeals, in my opinion, to all ages. It centres on Celeana, who is taking from imprisonment and entered into a competition to become the King's Champion, ie his assassin.If this one has caught your eye but you haven't read Throne of Glass, go do so straight away!

Crown of Glass is a brilliant follow on book - it takes you straight back into Celeana's world. I felt no need to go back and read Throne of Glass, as it soon all came back to me. The world building and the characters continues to be fantastic, and I still love Chaol and Nehemia. The focus is more towards the magic etc which started to show in the 1st book, with some interesting concepts and ideas.

One important aspect for me is that Sarah focuses on relationships and friendships, rather than romance - there's no twilight type adoration (sorry Twilight fans!) but rather strong but complex relationships. I really cared about Celeana's various relationships, and my heart suffered throughout certain incidences!

This is a highly recommended series, with, I believe, a few more yet to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Dear readers, I am sorry. Why am I sorry I hear you ask? I am sorry for the mess of a review that is sure to fallow, I'm sorry for going all out fangirl leaving you with a unreadable jumble of words. I am however not sorry that I liked loved this book enough to rave about it, to feel how the characters felt, to be happy and dad with them in all the right moments. My only grievance with this book is that it's finished.

One of the things I loved the most about Throne of Glass was the deliverance of a strong minded deadly assassin that we were promised, what I loved about Crown of Midnight is the characters didn't lose any part of themselves. Too after have a read a book with characters who were brilliant, only to have them seem.. a little bit less than so as the books go on. Of course there are times when you like characters, only for them to get better, like Chaol. I loved him in the first book, but I had to stop myself from swooning in this one. Gone is the act professional for the sake of Dorian, gone is the hiding his feelings and not embracing them and gone is the shame I sometimes thought he felt. His character really flourishes in Crown of Midnight and I was so excited to read more about him. When it comes to Dorian, I liked him just as much as I did in the last one, which is to say I could take him or leave him really. That's not to say he isn't a good character, he's just forgot about for my favourites is all.

Action? it has just as much as the last one, only all the things I seemed to find fault with Throne of Glass were fixed. The problem I had with the first book of the series is it felt like everything was more focused on what was going on around the trails than the trails itself, and considering the importance of it, I felt a lot more could have gone in to that side of the story. However with Crown of Midnight though we have Celaena doing the kings bidding and going after his enemies, that wasn't the focal point, finding out what the king was up to and where he seemed to be getting his power was. So in that sense, the lack of action in parts felt just right because it wasn't supposed to be a book based around it, if that makes any sense at all? haha

Love? ........ can we just not. The romance in this novel really did at time seem to be stomping all over my heart. I was happy, then I was sad. And just like the grand all duke who marched his men up to the top of the hill, when it was up it was up, and when it was down it was down. It was one extreme to the other, but everything was beautiful and well developed, even the heartache (yes.. I did quote a nursery rhyme, but I am tired and ill so don't judge me to badly).

The end? First come the shock, then the disbelief that it was actually happening, then came the acceptance of it. Was the ending brilliant? without a doubt. It made me have hope only to rip it out again. Crammed in to such a few pages is one emotional ride.

Over all I loved it, in case you didn't know. I honestly wasn't sure that the second book could be better because of how great the first was but I'll tell you, I have very very high hopes for the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking second instalment in YA fantasy series, 17 Sept. 2014
With plenty of action as well as angsty emotional turmoil, this is a great read and is sure to be loved by all fans of the first novel, Throne of Glass. Sarah J Maas has ratcheted it all up a notch and introduced plenty of complications and nasty shocks. She must want to punish Celaena for something – just when I thought one thing in her life was stable and sorted, bam! No such luck for her. But I suppose ‘happy ever after’ doesn’t really work before the end…

I loved Throne of Glass, and the prequel novellas, and this second novel continues in fine form, far surpassing my expectations (which were high enough that I was nervous to start reading in case book one was spoilt). If you’ve been thinking the same, hesitate no more!

The characters remain rich and textured, and it’s easy to ache for Celaena, while simultaneously wanting to shake her for her haughty arrogance and occasional immaturity (but then, she isn’t yet an adult!). As a teen protagonist, she is complex and perfectly layered, and is surrounded by a cast of characters who are almost as textured. This world admits no caricatures or stock characters.

This is a fantasy world that I’m happy to spend plenty of time in. As I noticed in the first novel, the world is brilliantly realised and in this instalment we see further aspects of it, while the various dangers circle and hover, making it clear that Celaena will not find it easy to succeed in the mission that seems to have been chosen for her.

Ultimately, this is a classic sweeping fantasy, with themes of morality and power, greed and duty. I’d absolutely recommend the series for anyone who has ever enjoyed a ‘good versus evil’ fantasy story, be it Narnia, Harry Potter or Game or Thrones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Throne of Glass book 2, 22 Aug. 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
I am not going to lie I was not looking forward to reading this book. I really had issues with the first book in this series and would have never picked up the second book if I wasn't a book blogger. I thought the first book was misleading. It was about an assassin who never killed anyone, who was arrogant and nasty and more interested in dresses and boys. So it was with great reluctance that I picked up Crown of Midnight.

I didn't expect to love this book, I didn't even expect to like it but I did. I adored it. It was a million times better than Throne of Glass and all the niggles I had with the first book were not a problem here. It was darker, more exciting and deadlier. There were some shock twists, a ton of action and breath-taking romance.

What made this book so much better than its predecessor was Celaena. She was so much better in this book. The arrogance was completely toned down as was the fashion obsession. She was meaner but also kinder and fairer. There was only one thing that annoyed me about her which I will get to later in this review. I actually liked her in this; I got behind her and cared for her which was something I never thought I would be able to do.

The romance was also a huge plus for me. In the first book it was a more Dorian centric triangle. In this one it focused more on a normal two person relationship between Celaena and Chaol. There are no words in any language that can adequately describe my love and adoration for Chaol. He is a huge part of why I loved this book so much and I don't think I could continue the series if he wasn't in it and if he wasn't the love interest. It is so rare for me to be romance focused in a book, I normally dislike the romances in YA books but this one was breath-taking. Chaol's feelings were so prominent, pure and clear. He is such a well-balanced character with many different emotions and conflicts but his love for Celaena were perfect.

She had the same feelings for him and it was the first time in both books that you saw her really let go with someone and be at ease. I adored them together and just couldn't have it any other way. This brings me to the one thing about Celaena that annoyed me. At one point she believes a person she barely knows over Chaol a man she loves and trust. She then flies of the handle and completely loses it. I couldn't understand why she believed this other person over him, why she didn't even try to listen to Chaol's side of the story. It was such a shame.

The ending was awesome and took this series to a brand new place. I cannot wait to see where it goes from here. Despite disliking the first book in the series Crown of Midnight managed to blow me away. It was amazing and is probably one of the best books I have read so far this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic and assassins, 4 Jun. 2015
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The shutters swinging in the storm winds were the only sign of her entry.'

The second novel in the trilogy starts with The King's Champion, Caelana scaling a wall, summing up a drainpipe and entering a manor house so that she can murder on the King's orders. Later in the chapter she delivers a severed head and hands to the King as proof of her success. It's not clear why we should root for a cold blooded killer who has a 'wicked' grin while she shows her evidence But then things start to unfold...Caelana is faking the deaths, (this is in the blurb or I wouldn't have revealed it), trying to discover the King's power and to fulfil her own destiny. Oh, and there's a love story too. Both Carol, the Captain of King's guard and Dorian, the King's son have feelings for her and she for them.

There is a lot of action, magic, two potential lovers and a pet dog and a portals into other worlds. For me, this multiplicity was too much and I think the coherence of the novel suffered. I like YA fiction and Game of Thrones reminded me that I can like fantasy but this wasn't for me. I didn't read the first, don't think this book stand on its own and I won't be reading the third. If you enjoyed the first one though I have no reason to think you wouldn't like this, as a number of other reviewers clearly have,

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read all year..., 6 Dec. 2014
Shall we do another list of 10 reasons this book is the best book ever? Yeah, let's do it. This isn't in any order this is just me spilling words out of my fingertips in order to make sense of how I feel about Crown of Midnight.

So... 10 reasons I loved this book.

1. CHAOL. I didn't really understand how people could fall in love with a fictional character before I discovered Chaol Westfall. I want to magic him out of the pages and into my arms.

2. DORIAN GOT AWESOME. No spoilers but yeah, the Prince has totally gone from being boring-but-sweet to totally interesting.

3. CELAENA IS ON A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL OF AMAZING. Seriously, I don't think that there has there ever been a female protagonist who is as fierce and tough and awesome and and... You get the drift.

4. THE DANCE. I can't even think about how perfect it was. I literally had so many emotions running through me during that scene. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever read. I just... I LOVED IT, okay?

5. THAT CLIFFHANGER. I seriously don't think I could have coped if I had started reading this series before Heir of Fire was out. I need more. I had already reserved a copy at the library before I'd even started Crown of Midnight so I picked that up yesterday and I am going to read it ASAP.

6. THE KING IS THE WORST AND BEST BADDIE EVER. No explanation required really. I hate him but he is such an amazing character.

7. NEHEMIA. Her story in this book was so powerful and, like I mentioned in my review of Throne of Glass, the friendship between Nehemia and Celaena has got to be up there with the most beautiful friendships in fiction.

8. THE BACKSTORY. We get to see more history in this book and we find out about Celaena's family, Chaol's father and the King's rise to absolute power. I loved how much more I connected with the characters once I'd got to know where they came from and why they are the way they are.

9. MAGIC. I like magic. This almost feels like a grown-up Harry Potter. What's not to like about that?

10. IT'S ALL THE GENRES. If you like romance, action, adventure, mystery, thriller, fantasy, horror... then you will find something in this series for you. Don't be afraid if you are not a fantasy fan. Honestly if you think you won't like this series then you should just read it anyway because you probably will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first!, 15 Aug. 2014
This was a phenomenal sequel that cemented my love of this series! It far surpassed any expectations I had and sent me from fan territory to fangirl territory. I was truly a mess after reading this.

The writing was flawless, the plot so intricately twisted and complex and, best of all, if I ever doubted Celaena's ferociousness, this book fixed that. She was ruthless, murderous, and fantastically so. Plus I was so glad her background was finally revealed, as it explained so much about her character and really helped to fill in some gaps!

I also appreciated that Dorian's character didn't fall to the wayside and was given a VERY interesting sub-plot of his own. But, I have to admit, Chaol and Celaena were my favourite thing. I was happy to see their relationship as a balance to all of the bloodshed and backstabbing that was filling the pages. They shine individually, but together they make for a fantastic team who bounce off of each other so well, making each scene with the two of them an absolute delight to read.

Magic is a lot more present in this. It's woven delicately into each chapter, remaining a mysterious and enigmatic thing that we, along with the characters, regard as both dangerous and mesmerising.

This book was so full of heartbreak and brilliantly gory action, that I didn't know what to do with myself after it was done. Except maybe cry into my pillow as I counted down the days until Heir of Fire.

Favourite quote: "To escape death, she'd become death."

Overall rating: 5/5 little birdies

For this and more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: www.littlebirdiebooks.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic read in all respects, 21 July 2014
Crown of Midnight was an epic read in all respects. What I loved about the first book was all here and MORE. There was more world building, more character development, more magic, more surprises, and just generally more awesome. For a high fantasy lover like me, this wasn't the fantasy-light of Throne of Glass and I loved it for that.

At the end of the first book, Celaena was appointed the King’s Champion and is now being sent off to do assassin-like things to whoever the King decrees…or does she? Sarah J. Maas once again gives us the perfect balanced heroine in Celaena. She’s ruthless, but caring, frivolous, but business-like, loving, but heartless when she needs to be. What she went through in this story was incredible and I admire Celaena so much for it.

What’s stopping me from giving it full marks was the slow beginning. I’m probably in the minority here but I had lukewarm feelings about the romance at the start. I do love Chaol and Celaena, but the full on romance jolted me as it felt like a happy ending too soon into the story. I totally understood why it had to start out that way and it was sweet reading but I was honestly a bit bored. Also, I’m trying not to be petty but I basically missed Dorian throughout the first half of the book as I enjoyed a lot of his and Celaena’s banter and relationship in Throne of Glass. I was glad when he eventually became part of the story again and gave us some much needed charm towards the end. His character development was great and I love how much he’s developing his own mysteries and purpose in the story.

Then THAT happened. I was completely blown away by it and it hit me like a bucket of cold water. Instantly my interest in the story grew tenfold. All the characters were tested to their limits. The betrayals, secrets, surprises, general fierceness all around was incredible. My emotions were a rollercoaster throughout the last half of the book and I’ve got to give all the credit to Maas’ writing, for putting me in the middle of it all, feeling all the feels with Celaena, Chaol, Dorian and everyone else.

Plus the world-building improved in spades and many of the mysteries like Wyrdmarks were explained well. While it was all a bit fuzzy and confined to the castle in the first book, I can definitely picture Erilea very clearly now, with all its history and strife.

Lastly, those revelations at the end were outstanding! If you felt a bit lukewarm about Throne of Glass, let me tell you the series just gets better and better. My expectations for the third are sky high—I can’t wait.