on 29 August 2013
I bought this book as I am an undergraduate student about to take my third year. Although my English is okay, there's definitely room for improvement!
The grammar / punctuation sections have been very helpful in helping me pull up my grades from the 2.1 to 1st level (on the essays I consulted the book with!) - wish I'd have thought of buying it in my first year.
The other sections are an enjoyable & amusing read. As stated, if you are a student who could improve their written English, it's worth buying!
on 21 May 2013
This guide is enjoyable to read, well-designed and interesting. The format is highly convenient for reading while travelling as well; the light and small book fits in any handbag and its cover does not wear down very much.
on 3 March 2013
I am enjoying this...as I read it seems as though I am re-taking parts of my English O'level! I can remember being taught areas of this at school to the point that I did not understand certain areas then and do now! We are never to old or young to take a refresher course.
Added: 9 Jun 2013. The more I read and re-learn...if anyone is struggling/wanting to improve their English this book certainly has areas that will help. I used this book to help clarify a matter with a nephew concerning his English homework and in other areas of communication. Brilliant. Money and time well spent!
on 22 April 2012
Her ladyship likes people to speak properly, not posh, and what's wrong with that? She mentions lots of things we were taught years ago, but may have forgotten.
on 22 December 2014
What a wonderful book! I am delighted with this and hope my grammer will pass Her Ladyship's approval! This book will help you in many ways to understand how to speak properly,with a little thought beforehand, its not that difficult, and I found Her ladyship's guide to the Queen's English a good help. I recommend this book and award it five stars!
on 27 June 2013
Embarrassing. I didn't think there would be quite so much in this book that I didn't know already! An excellent source of reference on all things speech related and very good on pronunciation of tricky words.
on 20 March 2014
The author has great talent in simplifying the finer points of the English language that makes reading her works an absolute pleasure. I often use her script of an interpretation in discussions in coffee shops and other social. gathering places one uses with friends.
on 2 September 2014
That is the perfect book about english language. I know the author already, I have read the books "i used to know that" and "an apple a day", both of them fantastic, especially for a greek like myself. This book here is the best, it is so useful and so funny, I couldn't let it out of my hands. I am a foreigner and I hear english mainly in Agatha Christie TV series, which are very well spoken. My favorite phrase in english language is "Good Lord" that Hastings repeats every now and then, it is so british! When I watch MTV shows, I am appalled by the horrible use of the english language, by the grammar mistakes, by the overuse of phrasal verbs, etc. I cannot believe that anyone says "whatever" and lifts the shoulders at the same time when he means " I don't care what you will do". I thought that the people who talk like that are illiterate, they did not go beyond elementary school, or they are a new kind of illiterate people, the ones who work in finance etc, who know only about money, stocks, who are the ones who make THE unforgivable mistakes, e.g."we will progress this next time" but it seems that the proper use of language is a general problem and this books deals with it in a very intelligent and elegant way. Of course, one has to buy the book and read it over and over again in order to absorb what it says, but since the book is very pleasant, that would be no problem.
I would also recommend to Caroline, in the next edition of her book to add a chapter about the misuse of language because of malice, for instance the use of the verb "feel' instead of the verb "think" when a reporter asks a question to a politician. Feel is a verb adressed to the senses or to emotions, not to the brain. When we ask a politician a question, we want him to answer with his mind, not with his heart. That kind of misuse happens not by accident but with the intention to mislead the audience.Caroline could add a chapter about this phenomenon and make her contribution to the social well-being.
on 22 August 2014
Excellent and i applaud Her Ladyship's knowledge and her care in how she expresses herself. One or two of her expressions and usages will see and sound strange outside her social circle to those of us who have not the advantage of being within that circle. However, in those cases we should listen, view and learn. And, perhaps, envy !
on 22 March 2015
Sadly it's mostly focused on very basic level English, the sort of thing you should learn as a 6 year old. I liked the bit about pronouncing English place names that are nothing like the spelling. I also liked the part saying whether you should say napkin or serviette. Napkin is always right.