4.0 out of 5 stars A FAVOR IS THE FOG WHICH ECLIPSES THE TRIUMPH
Published 18 months ago by The Movie Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of previous outings
The first Iron Man movie was great. The second, at the very least, was good. This was the kind of film where the screenwriters (or someone in the development process) felt the need to give the hero a cute kid as a sidekick.

Are you beginning to get that sinking feeling?

Published 2 months ago by Theo

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of previous outings, 17 Sep 2014
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)

Are you beginning to get that sinking feeling?

I can summarize this film quite easily. And I think I can do so without giving away anything that could reasonably be considered a spoiler:

Hero starts off superficially on top of the world after previous triumphs. Yet not without inner demons gnawing upon his soul (c'mon people - this is Tony Stark). So he gets into some real trouble and has to go away and find himself. Then, in the end, we have a climactic final battle. Oh yeah, and there's an evil conspiracy that needs to be uncovered.

Speaking of which, this movie did have a political subtext relating to events in the real world. But not the kind of subtext you get to feel clever for having deciphered. More the kind that leaves you with an aching skull after having been hit over the head so hard.

Finally - and I realize not everyone will consider this a fair criticism of a movie based on a comic book - there was absolutely no sense at all in why the baddies' superpowers worked the way they did. None. There's a spare slot in the human brain/genetic code, so therefore... well, you'll get to see. I can't help but wonder if this was all conceived as nothing more than a series of cool special effects.

Robert Downey Jr.'s rendering of Tony Stark is as good as it ever was. But the point is, for it to be worth making that third movie, there needs to be _more_. And in this case, there just wasn't.

I watched this movie at home. About 15 minutes before the end, just as the climactic final battle was getting underway, I was feeling pretty sleepy. So I went to sleep. I finished off the film the next day, but only because I'd already decided I wanted to review it on Amazon.

Theo.

4.0 out of 5 stars A FAVOR IS THE FOG WHICH ECLIPSES THE TRIUMPH, 5 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The first 25 minutes of the film sets it up for the action. We return to 1999 when Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) ignores Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) a young genius in order to spend time with a conquest (Rebecca Hall). Years later a terrorist called Mandarin (Ben Kinsley) appears on TV. Meanwhile Tony is working on a device to call his suit to him. Stark comes under attack as the subplots collide.

On the scale of films I rate this above the second Iron Man feature, but below the first one and of course "The Avengers" which raised the bar.

In this movie there are references to the Avengers, or "super friends" and the worm hole, but they don't play a role. There were lines in this film written for us older guys such as "You like that West World" something even the hip youngsters might miss. Iron Man is aided by Don Cheadle and a kid from Tennessee (Ty Simpkins). I was also glad to see Gwyneth Paltrow's role expanded.

A good one to see on the big screen and a must addition to an Avengers collection.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edited to frenetically at the end for me !!!!, 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 (Blu-ray)
I wont bore,or spoil,this film with a resume of the story line. Save to say it has all the hall marks of a good ,even very good, Iron Man action movie. I have my exceptions though. Towards the end,particularly in the climactic harbourside action scene,the directing,and thereby especially the editing are conveyed at breakneck speed - how the heck this looked in 3D must have been migraine enhancing.You certainly couldn't nod off towards the end as a myriad of prototype Iron Man Suits appear at the beck and call of our hero from the basement of his destroyed lair. In fact, there were so many Iron Men that I think the editor had decided that a cut every one and a half seconds was called for. Crossing the directorial line normally a rule of thumb to ensure set geography went out of the window as we used the multiple camera set ups to convey the frenzied action. Don't get me wrong - this is a technically good well shot Iron Man action movie but I suspect those viewing in 3d at the Cinema came out cross-eyed and with a large head ache. 2D fares much better but we still have a cut where they decided to use every camera angle set up rather than simplifying it and consigning some to the cutting room floor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperate, 20 May 2014
Dr. Michael J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The first two films had good plot. This is just OK – borderline boring. It’s as if they wanted get this out just to make money.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Deeply Flawed Film Which Decimates the Source Material, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Iron Man 3 (IM3) is a somewhat tricky film to review, as, looked at in isolation, it's not a terrible movie, nor a great one, it's simply okay, but has some smart dialogue some decent action sequences and the odd good twist. However, you can't looked at it in isolation, neither what has gone before in the film franchise, nor, crucially, from the source material.

For the casual viewer what IM3 does in it's limping away from what has gone before on screen is uncomfortable. Yes, the film nods vaguely in the direction of the first two and at The Avengers, but it never truly handles them well. It's really just a cursory glance at what has gone before in order that it can tell it's own story. That would be fine, truly fine, if the story it wanted to tell was worth it. But it isn't the story of IM3 (nerd rage + vengeance = Tony's screwed) is poor. The jokes are okay, but hardly worth the cost by themselves. Indeed, without the brilliance in a can which is Robert Downey Jr. I suspect that it would have been a disaster.

The biggest problem is Shane Black's utter disregard for the source material. The very particular run of comics from which this film was hewn (the run of six following the extremis storyline by Warren Ellis) is one of the best in the whole of Iron Man. It combines excellent writing, fascinating political, philosophical and moral arguments and some quite brilliant action. It presents us with a different type of villain, one who's motivations make a whole lot more sense that that which Guy Pierce was given (Lord above I feel sorry for Pierce in this role). I mean why bother telling the Extremis story if you're going to do this with it? Why on earth do we need to use Extremis at all? Any macguffin would do. So why use Extremis which is so much more than that? It honestly saddens me, as if it had been done properly this would have been head and shoulders the best film in the franchise. Deeply troubling with an horrifically sharp edge, but brilliant.

It would seem though that Shane Black doesn't give a damn about any concept which the audience might find difficult to grasp so he gave us this meh-mess of a movie, with some sharp dialogue and a couple of decent action scenes.

It's sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I liked the action in this movie was better than I first thought, Managed to watch it all the way through so that in itself says something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 15 May 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
It's a very good Blue-ray.
I like it very much.
Good material and cover.
I advise you to buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD 3d, 21 Feb 2014
Ok ironman film

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I love all Marvel's home made films so I knew I would be getting it the extras are good too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Film, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This is a great film and a must watch. If you enjoyed the first two films then you have to watch this, but that is my opinion.

Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Shane Black (Blu-ray - 2013)