4.0 out of 5 stars A FAVOR IS THE FOG WHICH ECLIPSES THE TRIUMPH
Published 23 months ago by The Movie Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperate
The first two films had good plot. This is just OK – borderline boring. It’s as if they wanted get this out just to make money.
Published 10 months ago by Dr. Michael J. Atkins

4.0 out of 5 stars A FAVOR IS THE FOG WHICH ECLIPSES THE TRIUMPH, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The first 25 minutes of the film sets it up for the action. We return to 1999 when Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) ignores Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) a young genius in order to spend time with a conquest (Rebecca Hall). Years later a terrorist called Mandarin (Ben Kinsley) appears on TV. Meanwhile Tony is working on a device to call his suit to him. Stark comes under attack as the subplots collide.

On the scale of films I rate this above the second Iron Man feature, but below the first one and of course "The Avengers" which raised the bar.

In this movie there are references to the Avengers, or "super friends" and the worm hole, but they don't play a role. There were lines in this film written for us older guys such as "You like that West World" something even the hip youngsters might miss. Iron Man is aided by Don Cheadle and a kid from Tennessee (Ty Simpkins). I was also glad to see Gwyneth Paltrow's role expanded.

A good one to see on the big screen and a must addition to an Avengers collection.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperate, 20 May 2014
Dr. Michael J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong Marvel?, 22 Jan. 2015
FallenGrace (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved the first two Iron Man films. In fact I have loved at the time of writing this ever Marvel studios made film, except this one. Iron Man 3 was such a huge disappointment from start to finish I found it difficult to even wonder how it happened though the change of director from Jon Favreau to Shane Black who also had a part in the script as the most likely culprit.

So where to start? At the start. The first song that played was Eiffel 65 - Blue during the opening credits. What happened to AC/DC? The soundtrack for the whole film was pretty bad, even the original score was lacking any memorable moments.

That on it's own couldn't truly ruin the film but sadly it's not the only problem this movie has. The storyline follows on from the events of Marvels Avengers with Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) being rather traumatized at the events, struggling to sleep building dozens of new Iron Man suits. During all this a terrorist known as the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) rises making threats at Stark.

The story makes a mockery of the beloved Iron Man villain the Mandarin in what, I assume, Shane Black thought was a clever way and while I praise Ben Kingsley's performance in the role I found it insulting and pointless. On the other half they integrate the Extremis storyline from the comics as well as Tony Stark's ability to remote control suits from his armoury but what should have been a pretty thunderous finale simply turned into a dull thud when his suits were as useful as paper dolls. There were special effects everywhere at the end but it felt so hollow.

So much of the film was also surprisingly slow. The idea of the film was to focus on the character of Stark rather than Iron Man but I feel they forgot Stark is Iron Man. In both Iron Man 1 & 2 they manage to develop both Stark and the other characters without bogging it down yet the reverse is true here, I feel they tried too hard and they lost the charm the first film had, even Robert Downey Jr could only carry it so far.

All in all I really didn't like it, I would go so far to say I hated it in fact, I was bored in fact for most of it. As a non comic book fan or casual movie goer I can see how people may enjoy it but to me it's just a blemish on Marvel's record.

Not recommended.

+ Robert Downey Jr and Ben Kinsley are superb.

- Music is terrible.
- Made a mockery of the Mandarin for fans.
- Wasted the Extremis storyline.
- Finale went out with a pop, not a bang.
- Felt slow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
poor film other two far better

3.0 out of 5 stars This was okay but this is the third film in ..., 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
This was okay but this is the third film in this franchise I'm realy not sure there should be a fourth .

2.0 out of 5 stars Started good, got infuriating, finished 'meh'..., 10 Sept. 2013
Mr. Daniel Wood "Lord D.C. Wood" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
After two excellent Iron Man films, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America and the almighty Avengers...we at last have Iron Man 3. Robert Downey Jr., Gwenyth Paltrow & Don Cheadle are back again, accompanied this time by Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley.

At first, Iron Man 3 starts off great, particularly through when emphasizing how much Tony Stark has been affected by the events of The Avengers, and it hypes up the Mandarin with tremendous fanfare, but then the reveal behind the villain turns the stakes and plot into a complete joke. Not even the CGI, Robert's ever-brilliant acting or the rest of the cast can save the film from it's ridiculous plot and overbearing twists & turns.

In my opinion, worst film of the Iron Man trilogy, and not what I wanted to see after the Avengers. Let's hope Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier turn out better.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Deeply Flawed Film Which Decimates the Source Material, 30 Jan. 2014
Iron Man 3 (IM3) is a somewhat tricky film to review, as, looked at in isolation, it's not a terrible movie, nor a great one, it's simply okay, but has some smart dialogue some decent action sequences and the odd good twist. However, you can't looked at it in isolation, neither what has gone before in the film franchise, nor, crucially, from the source material.

For the casual viewer what IM3 does in it's limping away from what has gone before on screen is uncomfortable. Yes, the film nods vaguely in the direction of the first two and at The Avengers, but it never truly handles them well. It's really just a cursory glance at what has gone before in order that it can tell it's own story. That would be fine, truly fine, if the story it wanted to tell was worth it. But it isn't the story of IM3 (nerd rage + vengeance = Tony's screwed) is poor. The jokes are okay, but hardly worth the cost by themselves. Indeed, without the brilliance in a can which is Robert Downey Jr. I suspect that it would have been a disaster.

The biggest problem is Shane Black's utter disregard for the source material. The very particular run of comics from which this film was hewn (the run of six following the extremis storyline by Warren Ellis) is one of the best in the whole of Iron Man. It combines excellent writing, fascinating political, philosophical and moral arguments and some quite brilliant action. It presents us with a different type of villain, one who's motivations make a whole lot more sense that that which Guy Pierce was given (Lord above I feel sorry for Pierce in this role). I mean why bother telling the Extremis story if you're going to do this with it? Why on earth do we need to use Extremis at all? Any macguffin would do. So why use Extremis which is so much more than that? It honestly saddens me, as if it had been done properly this would have been head and shoulders the best film in the franchise. Deeply troubling with an horrifically sharp edge, but brilliant.

It would seem though that Shane Black doesn't give a damn about any concept which the audience might find difficult to grasp so he gave us this meh-mess of a movie, with some sharp dialogue and a couple of decent action scenes.

It's sad.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a missed opportunity !, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I always found Iron Man to be one of the most interesting Marvel superheroes.For,contrary to most,his only "superhuman"ability is his intellect.In fact he is an ailing man,surviving only thanks to his "electronics"ingenuity.His "complex"character,his high intellect ,combined with pointed humour,the playboy / business magnate amalgama, provide an excellent background for stories to be built upon.
I fully enjoyed I.M.1 and I.M.2 .No masterpieces,but extremely entertaining movies ,in more than one ways.A singularly contributing factor was the use of excellent actors to portray very interesting villain characters in both movies.
When I saw that in I.M.3 the great actor Ben Kingsley would portray "The Mandarin",arguably the most interesting enemy of Iron Man,I prepared myself for a treat.
I was wrong.I failed to factor in my "calculations"mr.Shane Black.Writer AND director of this movie.
Still,this makes things easier.There is no need to look around much to establish who is responsible for this "disappointment".
Even if I choose to neglect the superficial approach to all characters-no one is portrayed "in depth"-and the tottally unnecessary complexity of the story in some points of the plot,even if I pretend that I did not notice that perhaps a dosen schenes could be drastically shortened,or even deleted,without affecting the movie at all,I cannot tolerate total absurdity.For instance ,Tony Stark actually INVITES the Mandarin to attack him at his Malibu beachhouse without taking the slightest measure to protect his residence from a"military"type attack !!! On top of that he keeps his beloved girlfriend with him (plus his ex girl friend)exposing them to mortal danger!!!He acts like a moron,not like the 'superbrain"he is.Please........
But what is truly unforgivable ,as well as illogical,is the reduction of the dreaded Mandarin character into a clown!!! I cannot even begin to imagine what Ben Kingsley would have produced had he been given the opportunity to portray Mandarin as a villain .A memorable performance,at minimum !
Mr Shane Black is a third rate actor,but purportedly a good scriptwriter.At least if we ignore what he,himself,has admitted,that most of his scenarios were so much altered(by producers and directors) prior to being filmed that he could not recognise them.
Judging by this,his second movie(I never saw the first one),one thing is painfully obvious.He is not a good movie director.Not even a passable one.
Unless,of course,you really like this string of missed opportunities.
I expected more,Much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too little Iron Man? Beg to differ!, 15 Mar. 2014
Comic Guy "C" (Wolverhampton England) - See all my reviews
Didn't see this one on the big screen, so trawled the online reviews to see if it was worth buying on Blu-ray. Lot of comments from disgruntled fans who wanted to see more of Tony in the armour.

I agree the film was very funny in parts but my major gripe was TOO much Iron man! Towards the end of the film I was getting heartily sick of the number of different versions of his armour popping up left right and centre.

The thrill of watching this sort of fantasy is knowing your hero has one or maybe two ways out of a situation but they are going to have to rely on their 'power' courage and intelligence to get out of danger / save the day, not 1960's Batman TV series style have yet another 'handy gizmo in my utility belt' updated to handy suit of armour in secret location A, ...oh and secret location B...and yet another location C.. and another in my back pocket!! ARRGH!

The suspension of belief that might lead me to feel Tony Stark / Iron man is in real danger of losing his life had gone by halfway through the film.

Loved the laughs, missed the drama, got fed up of the armour.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not up to scratch..., 2 Jan. 2014
Warning: Minor spoiler information included

My husband and I loved the first Iron Man and enjoyed the second one too. The third one was disappointing, there were gaps in the story where clearly it was expected that you had watched 'Avengers' (which we had not done!). The story line was poor and I agree with another reviewer regarding the completely pointless aspect of the 'Mandarin', as for the bad guys, what exactly were they trying to achieve? World domination or covering up a faulty product?

The relationship between Pepper and Stark was weak and dry and added no depth to the story, and when Pepper supposedly arose from the dead what was Starks reaction? Did he rush to take her in his arms? Did he shout for joy? Did he go weak at the knees in shock? None of the above, just asked her why she didn't wear the cropped top at home...this could/should have been amusing, but wasn't.

I may watch this again if I get bored enough, but somehow doubt it, I think it will probably end up getting dusty on a bookshelf somewhere, I don't recommend buying it.

Iron Man 3 [DVD]
Iron Man 3 [DVD] by Shane Black (DVD - 2013)