5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish!
Riddle in Stone is the debut novel by Robert Evert. And what a way to make a debut! This is one of the best fantasy adventures I have ever read, and if the word fantasy puts you off, don't let it. Fantasy is not my genre of choice. But then we're not talking whimsical faeries and chipper little elves here.

Edmund is our anti-hero, overweight, balding, with...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not the best read but it was alright.
Published 1 month ago by Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone Series - Book One) (Kindle Edition)
Gripping storyline! I was shocked by some twists of the tale. Well written, great pace to the story! You won't get bored!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
I loved this book. Couldn't wait to download the next one. Fantastic book for first-time author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Jan 2014
A fast paced and fun story but by far the best thing is Edmund. Such an unlikely hero, amazingly thick at times for one so clever; a bumbling fool who somehow still manages to do the right thing in the end. And the reader can't help but fall in love with him, I know I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Dark Fantasy, 28 Nov 2013
Book - Riddle in Stone (Riddle in Stone #1)
Author - Robert Evert
Star rating - ★★★★★
Would I read it again - Yes
Plot - imaginative, intriguing, exciting
Characters - unique, realistic, relatable, funny
Movie Potential - ★★★★★
Ease of reading - very easy to read.

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

After opening up this book with high expectations (I love Dark Fantasy books), I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected something different, something unusual and a little dark, and what I found was the equivalent of a fishing hook grabbing my poor little flipper and dragging me into the depth of the sea. I totally fell into the story from page one. I was, for want of a better word, hooked from the first line. The storyteller had me intrigued and I instantly fell in love with Edmund, our MC - Main Character.

Edmund's internal dialogue was cute. Adorable. He's a complete charmer. And I'm sure he'd probably hate all the words I'm associating with his internal feelings, but I'm afraid there's no better way to say it. I really feel for him, especially when it comes to Molly, the love of his life who he can't even speak to without sparking off his most hated difficulty - his stutter.

Edmund is the not-so-typical hero. In fact, he's downright original and refreshing. Because he's ordinary. He's a normal human being you'd see walking down the street any day of the week. Short, fat, balding, with a stutter and a love of books. Could you image a more anti-hero than that? Yet it works.

I really have to say this one thing - by the end of Chapter 2, I'm little a little schoolgirl with a crush. I'm so excited about this 'adventuring' that I hated to turn off my Kindle. (But it was 1am and I was exhausted, so it really had to be done). So far, the story reminds me, in atmosphere only, of a cross between Lord of the Rings, Willow and Robin Hobb's Fareer Trilogy, with the lovely Fitz. Edmund really reminds me of Willow (from Willow duh!) and Samwise (LOTR). He's completely lovable and I also kind of liked Norb as well. He was an interesting character.

I really like the way we get to see Edmund travelling to his quest. A lot of the time, unless there's a huge event or a disaster in store, we rarely ever see people travelling to their destination. I loved the inclusion of the dog, too, Thorax. I had a little giggle over that. If this were a shape shifter story (though it might be and I just don't know it yet) I would wager that the dog was Molly or a potential friend/love interest for Edmund in the future. At the moment, I'll just have to wait and see. Lol. What I really love about Edmund and Thorax' new friendship is the companionship that Edmund's never had and his grudging acceptance of it in the beginning, and then the total reliance and comfortable feeling between them later. And do you notice how, with Thorax, his stutter isn't so bad? ;) I think that means something important. I'll keep an eye out for that later.

I absolutely agree with Edmund. On what? Well...what about the ugly princesses? They never get stories told about them. And "the Battle of Daisy Meadow"? I've never heard that one yet.

I have to admit that I'm really taking a liking to Kravel and Mr Gurding. They're funny and intriguing and nice characters to really lighten the mood. I also like Pond Scum (No, I'm not making that up) and Crazy Bastard. They're really interesting people and I have a feeling they will both be important later (I'm only at 40% at the moment) I want to find out what happens to them, as well as Edmund's new friend Vorn. I really think I've solved the riddle, but I can't be sure until I find out what it really means. Only time will tell. If Edmund just stopped being so stubborn (though I do understand why he is stubborn about it) then he's realise how simple it could be for his brain.

It's a real shame about the 'eye' incident. (I'm not giving away spoilers here.) But I have to say that the 'rat cage' is by far an excellent use of medieval torture. I've seen medieval torture used in books before, but few have the impact this one did on me. I was literally cringing, not wanting to read more. Very nicely done.

Just after halfway through, I feel like I've been transported from Lord of the Rings to the 13th Warrior (awesome film with Antonia Banderas). Edmund is getting leaner and smarter and he's at that stage where he's learning that it's kill or be killed with the goblins. I also really like that the whole 'mines' situation isn't a flash in the pan attempt to create excitement and danger; it's a real crux of the story, driving the characters forward. I hate when characters get dropped into situations that could be amazing and the idea doesn't get followed through on. So this story is a gold mine for that alone. (excuse the pun.)

I'm so glad that Pond Scum comes back into the story later. Though it's a shame Ed had to lose Vorn, Pond more than makes up for his loss. He's at least optimistic and really lightens the mood when Ed gets down. My only real question about this part of the story though (say 60-70% way through) is:

WHO IS POND? I have a feeling, possibly wrong, that he's going to be really important. He doesn't want to talk much about who he was before the goblins captured him, but he gives enough hints that I'm interested. Even if he turns out to be a regular Joe, I'm intrigued by his story. I'm also very sad about Thorax, though I won't say why. Not what I thought, but a nice addition to the story.

I loved Edith. She was so smart and a little sassy when we last saw her. I think she'll be a bigger part of Book 2. I hope. :)

I'm really impressed by Edmund. After the whole 'eye' incident, he really found his courage, even if he did falter a few times. And although I loved fat, stuttering Ed in the beginning, I also like the emaciated, barely stuttering Ed too. He never lost that charm and charisma he had, even though all he'd suffered. It's just a shame about Molly. I won't give away spoilers, but I had to say that I saw this coming. It could never have ended well but I didn't care. I wasn't annoyed or disappointed with the ending, or that it leaves the story wide open for more. (I know there is a Book 2 anyway) I look forward to getting Book 2 and having some time to read it.

Overall an excellent read. It has everything you could ever want in a good story: fantasy, torture, love, adversity, suffering, courage, mines, goblins, elves, riddles...I could go on. It's a long book, but it is well worth the read. Trust me, if you pick it up and start reading, you will find yourself sitting for hours, getting engrossed in the story, no matter what your plans are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Riddle in stone - book one, 19 Nov 2013
Geraldine Messin (Lothlórien, Middle Earth) - See all my reviews
Brilliant. I read it is in nearly one sitting. Ok, why not 5 stars then? it is because there are some very dark scenes in it and I think some were unnecessary. Nevertheless, Riddle in stone is a deceptively good book. You think it is easy to read but is not. I don't want to go over the plot again, other readers have done it beautifully.
I will get the second instalment. I think it is out now.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth reading,, 19 Nov 2013
I highly recommend this book, by a new author. A really dark fantasy book 1st in a trilogy I believe. Its very slow to start it gets into the swing of things at about half way through the book.

it contains one of the best non written one on one combat scenes in my imagination as a reader in over 30years of reading. I cant reply explain without spoiling it for others.

well done robert. Keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars riddle in the stone - a great read, 24 Sep 2013
I. Morgan - See all my reviews
Immense

this book is outstanding the characters are well wrote and fleshed out from villains in the book to the hero Edmund along with the supporting characters

the authors versions of the goblin race is probably my favorite to date i would put more but fear for adding spoilers but any fantasy/adventure reader should pick this up and enjoy it

i feel the two star review is unfair and feel they only read a few pages and gave up but if you do find the stuttering hard going keep at as things better as the Main character Edmund gains more confidence i also felt his speech impediment suited his character as well as his other short comings

enjoy the book

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 30 Aug 2014
Quite different to what I usually read but clever and well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed this book the dry humour is brilliant, 18 Oct 2014
really enjoyed this book the dry humour is brilliant, I laughed so much at the sarcastic remarks made when they where in the pits that I could just see the expressions on there faces looking forward to reading the next two

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 31 Aug 2014
A good start to a GREAT series of books