1,446 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, hated the ending
I'm giving this rating based on the majority of the book. It's a book that I didn't want to put down, wanting to know exactly what came next.
I must say though I was disappointed, if not a bit upset with the ending (hence the rating). If you'd like to read an alternative ending, one which I believe is a better fit and worthy of the characters and what they have been...
Published 1 month ago by Rhiannon Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending. The trilogy finale as exciting as a soggy firework.
Oh well, I had hoped that things might pick up a bit from the second book. Unfortunately, the third book just seemed to trundle along and never really get going. Even towards the end it didn’t manage to build up my excitement or get me intrigued as to what might happen next. I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. I wasn’t bothered...
Published 6 months ago by Dyl

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY, 27 July 2014
****SPOILERS*******

I loved Divergent. I thought the idea and the futuristic 'what if' the future world becomes like this was fantastic. I could not put it down. Then I read Insurgent and although it wasn't as good as the first - a lot of times the second books aren't as good because typically you fall in love with the first book of a series and that's why you read the second. I did love Insurgent too though, the ideas were still clever and exciting and you couldn't see where it would go. You fall more in love with Tobias/Four and you feel for Tris and how tortured she is over having to kill one of her best friends. The ending to Insurgent has me gasping! I knew something was outside of the fence, the fence was obviously there for a reason. But I thought it was to protect the people of some great terrifying evil. However, as you find in Allegiant that is not the case.

Allegiant -

I was excited to read this book, I thought it would round off a brilliant series perfectly. I was so wrong. When they get outside of the fence they find that they were in some sort of big brother experiment because their ancestors genes were mutated and 'wrong' and genetically damaged 'GD' and somehow a Purity War broke out (although not explained in full detail). And the only way to fix this wrong gene was to put them all into these 'experiments' and watch them until the divergent 'genetically pure' people with perfectly normal genes start to emerge.

However, I find this idea ridiculous! If you put all the GD people into one location and then they have babies they are all going to be GD's too...their genes will not magically change because they will have the same genes passed from their parents onto them. Which is genetically DAMAGED in the eyes of the people outside of the fence. Please correct me if I am wrong on this because I honestly do not think that it is possible for a persons genes to magically change inside the experiment. I also think if they are at fault for messing with those genes and creating the GD's then why did they not reverse the damage they had caused? Because it's too complicated to mess with genes like they did in the first place to cause it? The logic here had me completely lost. If a better reasoning and explanation had been used then I wouldn't be so confused by this whole concept. To me this was one of the worst parts of the book.

I understand or think that Roth was trying to challenge the concept maybe of discrimination against people who are 'different'. Those people in this case would be the divergent (when inside the experiment) and the genetically damaged (outside of the experiment). And I myself love when an idea of people is challenged. However, I do not believe this was dealt with properly in this book. Tobias who is so sure and confident of his choices and is fearless (almost four almost) becomes this wreck of a person. I believe he was showing this BEFORE he found out he was genetically 'damaged'. His narrative throughout was not the four of the first two books. (I will write more on this). But then he questions everything and is so convinced he makes bad choices because he is not worthy and he is damaged like they say he is. Which is just utter nonsense because as a psych undergrad I have learned that your genes only make part of you. Yes they may determine what hair colour you have, what eye colour you have, your skin colour...etc...they do not make you as a person. They do contribute to who you are but they are not the whole of you. Influences from the environment and the people around you will also make you the person you are. So blaming everything on these peoples genes is (i'm trying to think of a nice word) crazy. I can't believe nobody in the book made a stronger point for this, I know they love Tobias for whoever he is but nobody takes a great stand for the GD's. I feel Roth tried to without ever fully explaining it as she flipped between Tris and Tobias' narratives both sides of the story.

As an alternative I would have been thinking that the fence was built to protect them of something from the outside world. And all the civil wars and fighting on the inside could have stopped when a threat from the outside world came. Maybe showing that they had to pull together to save themselves. Or even if they were an experiment then for a better reason than damaged genes.

The switching narrative was also a bad feature of the book. I wish Roth had just stuck to having Tris' point of view like in the first two books. It is what made them so enjoyable and successful. I liked that we didn't always know what Tobias was thinking and it created more suspense and mystery to him. In Allegiant he becomes so whiney, so not fun, so boring and annoying to read. His viewpoints made me wanna come into the book and give him a good shake and tell him to snap out of it! He also sounded very much like Tris and most of the time I forgot which character it was that was narrating. This two person narrative could be justified by the ending of the book although I knew something must happen to one of the main two to have this sort of narrative style. I think if we do stick with the ending then a better way to do this would have been to have Tris narrate everything up until her death and then at this point switch to Tobias and have him narrate the final part of the book and bring it all together.

There is probably a lot more to say about this book but these are what stood out for me more than Tris' death which I do think was not needed and did not actually make me sad but made me mad that I had been through this journey with Tris just for her to not survive. The girl who never gave up who fought for everything...just gone. For what? Impact? Shock value?

Uriah who? Not needed in this third book at all. His death was dragged out for no reason. We have already lost so many people at this point that it's just like 'oh another character has died, meh'.

I was conflicted about this book. I loved the first two and so desperately wanted to love this too. But after reading it and being angry and then much time to reflect I still feel this was a poor ending. Two stars because I loved the first two and there were elements in this book that could have made it great.

Although this has been disappointed it should not put you off reading the first two, i still love those. This book is worth a read because you may have a completely different view to the story as I have which I would love to hear.

Also if you have made it this far thank you for taking the time to read. You're probably just as angry and stunned as I am.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the story of a girl that did not think much of herself and ended up saving so many people because of her selflessness., 21 July 2014
It was by far the weakest book of the series
The two voices switching off was confusing, and the two didn't really seem all that different. Sometimes I had to look back to see who was the narrator of that chapter.
Tris and Tobias were written identically
The character's individual voices were completely lost.
I think the first two book were better.

It was difficult to believe on the relation between GD, GP and the factions.
It does not take several generations for a genetic manipulation to take effect.
Whether you are removing or adding a gene, it manifests right in the very subject you are altering.
If you want to fix broken genes, all you need to do is stick the gene right back where it came from and that's it.
Genes don't "heal" themselves. It's corrected at one time, not after multiple generations of inbreeding.
A small population with no genetic variation will only create a founder effect: the damaged genes they carry will only become more prevalent over time. They will just as likely make the defect stronger and eventually create new and perhaps even screwier genes through mutations as they would achieve any imaginary genetic "healing." If these people are such a scourge on society, the only reason it would be prudent to round them up in one place is so it would be easier to blow them all up at once.
This experiment also makes no sense as an explanation for the society being divided into factions

When you include real science in a story, you have to do research to make sure it makes sense.

To Keep reading, I imagined that all of this happens in another world where this all could make sense and that all this “human beings” in the story are not like human beings on Earth.

The POV is a bit confusing. The new characters were not well developed. The state of the world was extremely ambiguous. But you need to remember that this is Tris story. Not the Bureau story, or the city's story, not even Tobias story. Not about real science or real human beings.

2.0 out of 5 stars SPOILERS, 13 Mar. 2014
The first two books were incredible, I couldn't put them down (irritating when I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation) and I was so excited about this book, However, not only for the same tragic reason as everyone else, but for the fact that this book is so boring. Having a mix between both Tris and Four takes away so much excitement. The first two explore a brave heroine, and it's exciting to keep Four slightly mysterious, learning through Tris about him, being let into his emotions gradually, makes you connected to Tris, now we are just dumped with another characters feelings, a character which we don't have the same insight to his life as we do Tris. It's hard to find empathy with him after seeing him through someone else's eyes for the first two books. It also seemed a little random to me how she had suddenly introduced this new divide of chapters and I guessed the ending before it came.

Aside from that even 700 pages in, there is nothing exciting happening. I know I'm reading a poor book when I start doing my work instead of reading it. I even started looking for a new book to read.

As for the ending, I understand why she did it, and I am not one for sugar coating however it just seemed totally unjustified. She wanted to live and that revelation alone to me, was the reason that she should have lived. Her speech in book two about understanding that, should have come at the end of book three, when she could have finally stopped fighting. Its hard to read a book with such a great and brave heroine to see that because of this she lost her life. Its not very inspiring.

I wouldn't have even minded so much if the book cost less. It just wasn't worth it. Such an exciting read and I am left utterly disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad ending to a great series, 8 Feb. 2015
I have to say this is my least faverite out of the series. It was not as gripping as the first 2 books which I thought were brilliant. In the first few chapters Tris and Tabias seem to have regressed to teenagers in a soap opera. The second half of book is much better, and seems to be a return to form till the ending. I want to tell people how mad I am about that but I really do now want to ruin it more for anyone. Unlike the other 2 book this one is written from both Tris and Tabias' perspectives. Alternate every two chapters.

After the video telling the people of the city that they are on Big Brother, with not rules. The city is decided between the faction less (now the rulers), a new movement called the Allegiant, and people who want to leave the city to see the real world. Tabias and Tris are among the ones who want to know the truth of what is out there. However what they find is that the world outside (despite being bigger then they ever imagined) might not be that different from the one they left behind. As in just as divided if not by beliefs, but by genetics.

This book is just such a sad ending to what had so far been a great series. On a positive Roth has gotten better at writing from Tabias' point of view (since her tie in book 4), though it is still not perfect as his thought processes still seem a bit feminine. All in all disappointing, the writing still good, the story is much slower and more grief therapy that action.

3.0 out of 5 stars No need for a Trilogy!, 1 Sept. 2014
I Loved the first two books of this series and to begin with i though this one might ruin that. It started off well and slowly dipped to the point where i was skimming pages, getting distracted and only being half interested. despite feeling like Roth ended Insurgent at exactly the write place, the beginning of this book felt like a 'filler' and I was losing hope for the rest of the book. As someone else in the comments said, a few chapters at the end of insurgent would have wrapped the series off beautifully but instead it was packed into a rubbish third book which left a sour taste in my mouth. Weather it is was designed to make more money or weather trilogies are just the done thing in this dystopian world I do not know but it was very disappointing.

Despite my initial concerns the book grew pace and if I was rating just the final few chapters it would have got 5 Stars! I do not want to spoil the ending for anyone so I will just say the final twist was something I did not expect at all. It was a rare ending and one that has been praised and criticized. I am still not sure which camp I belong to but I will leave you to make up your own mind.

All in all it was a fantastic series as a whole, it was just a shame the begging of the last book was such a let down. But all in all the Divergent Series was a success in my eyes and Roth should be proud!

2.0 out of 5 stars My Slant on Things, Warning Spoilers Ahead..., 3 Jan. 2014
Let me start by saying that I was a fan of the first two novels. I thought they were clever yet touched on that theme of society that made novels like the Hunger Games popular, it felt secure and similar to read. Though, in my opinion not amazingly written; I was so eager to read Allegiant, and as you can see from the other reviews that surround this one you are reading, it was disappointing...to say the least.

I kind of knew that the conclusion would either be brilliant or awful, but in all honesty I don't know where I sit. I applaud Roth for having the courage to kill a main character but at the same time question whether it was necessary. Killing a main character is something that has to be done with sensitivity and foreshadow, Dumbledore's death is one that I compare this to due to the similarities between the audience of Harry Potter and this series; Dumbledore's death was poignant and necessary in Harry become independent, but here I feel it served no purpose but purging an author's curiosity. Being one myself, albeit an amateur I known the feeling one gets, personally at the end of a story I sit and think quite seriously about killing my own main character (obviously with thought to context not just blowing up a maiden in a medieval story for example) but I think Roth made a mistake.

After reading other reviews I find myself in agreement with those who didn't like the switches between characters each chapter. Four went from being mysterious and desirable to weak and displeasing. I wouldn't have minded half as much if Roth gave the guy some form of dignity and masculinity.

The plot seemed to throw open more questions than answers. Again I praise Roth for having the bravery to do so but shun her decisions and apparent laziness to do it properly. It seemed like parts were added just for enjoyment rather than to contribute to a plot. Parts of the novel seemed too engaged with overly describing feelings and emotions to the point of them being repeated...and repeated...and repeated over and over again. I don't know about you but I found myself skipping over Four's mental dilemma about his parents every chapter. I'm not really sure if it's personal preference or universal thought but I felt Roth tried too hard to be emotional and ended up neglecting the facts, surroundings and physical aspects of the novel. Rather than explaining the rest of the world's situation or at least the US 's we had to listen to Beatrice waffle on about her brother for the nineteenth time. I'm not a Michael Bay fan in book form, I love the complexity of emotions and the turmoil that loss can bring but when you feel like you are just reading the same thing over and over something has gone wrong.

Being different is fantastic, but I think Roth tried to hard to be different and ended up ruining what could have been a brilliant ending. When being different however rebellious we feel inside we must remember who will be left with the outcome. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she should have written with more care and more 'oomph' rather than going all out to shock. For Roth it seems her future is dim as she is surrounded by angry, depressed and disappointed fans and unfortunately for her there is no Abnegation Serum for her to start again with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great substance, shame about the style, 30 July 2014
Obviously, if you liked the first two books then you are going to read this one, I was a big fan of the rest of the trilogy, and enjoyed (if that is the correct word given what it encompasses) the plot of this final volume. However, I found the use of two narrators here distracting, particularly as I couldn't differentiate between their two voices and had to refer back to chapter headers. Given what happens, it becomes obvious why this device was used, but I felt that it should have occurred throughout the trilogy. This would have given the two voices time to become established, and would have prevented that strange feeling of betrayal when the reader realises that we are not going to hear the whole of the story from Tris's perspective. In this way it reminded me of the final volume of the Sookie Stackhouse series, in which suddenly chunks are written in the third person. It suggests that the author had not fully thought through the entire story arc when they began it, and have to insert a somewhat clumsy device in order to achieve the ending they desire. Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 3 May 2014
A terrible final book to what could have been a brilliant series! The author clearly wrote herself into a corner and picked the worst plot to get herself out of it. This book has ruined the series for me!

3.0 out of 5 stars It belongs in the Freezer, 25 Oct. 2013
I have been counting down the days for Allegiant to come out. When it finally arrived I was so excited. But when I started to read it, I felt like the story was kind of being dragged. There was some good points in it...there was explanation of what was outside of the fence, but even this left more questions that wasn't seemed to have been answered. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when I had about 200 pages left and when the ending finally came I just stared at the pages!! The only thing I could think about was what Joey from Friends said when he read a book that got to a scary part or upset him, he put it in the freezer and that is exactly how I felt! What a waste of an ending to a trilogy. Suffice to say, I'm not impressed. I really wish that they would change the ending for the movie!

1.0 out of 5 stars killed the hope, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3) (Divergent Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
The first two books were fantastic,Really Good, couldn't put them down!

The third book was ok at best and then went down into an absolute hopeless pit. I actually wish I hadn't read the trilogy.

I could say I wish I'd only read the first two books but its always going to be an itch you want to scratch to know how it ends, but reading the 3rd one really just makes you feel like you wasted your time connecting with the characters in the first two books, rooting for them etc. Like someone else said, the ending is on par with the author ending a story with the line 'and then she woke up and it was all a dream' with how empty and frustrated it leaves you.

I actually really hope she writes an alternate 3rd book or at least an alternate ending, even if its not published as a hard copy and just an e-book.