1,340 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read
The format from the first two books is abandoned for this split, first person POV, which I have to say I didn’t like at all. I was used to being inside Tris’ head in the first two books and while I liked her chapters in Allegiant, I found Tobias’ really frustrating. While Tobias is a well-developed character, I thought he didn't have a unique voice and...
Published 4 months ago by Sarmor

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending. The trilogy finale as exciting as a soggy firework.
Oh well, I had hoped that things might pick up a bit from the second book. Unfortunately, the third book just seemed to trundle along and never really get going. Even towards the end it didn’t manage to build up my excitement or get me intrigued as to what might happen next. I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. I wasn’t bothered...
Published 4 months ago by Dyl

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant trilogy compeltly let down by the last book, 13 Aug 2014
Black Mambo (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The 3rd book was such a let down after 2 fantastic books! I managed to get to the 10th chapter before giving up ... where the 1st two books are from Tris's perspective suddenly the 3rd book constantly switches between Tris & Tobias which is confusing and just spoils it ... I may try and read this again when I go on holiday but really was such a disappointment :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 6 July 2014
Found it nearly impossible to finish this book. Complete disappointment after the first two, such a clever concept pulled apart and destroyed. Tobias character was bland and found it nearly impossible to separate him and Tris during their boring relationship dilemmas. Unnecessary dragged out nonsense. waste of money, read the first two and call it a day.

3.0 out of 5 stars WHY!!!!, 21 Sep 2014
Well after the amazingness that was books 1 and 2 when I finished book 3 I didn't really know what to write for my reveiw of book 3. I spent a long time just sitting there going why? but why? just why?

I finished this book on the 17th March. It has taken me this long to mentally prepare myself to even attempt to write a review. For me this is really bad. I like to write a review pretty much as soon as I finish the book. Even if it's just a few words about each character and how I felt about the book overall.

As with books 1 and 2 Roth's writing was excellent. It wasn't the style or the way it was written that caused me such pain. It was the story itself.

I tend not to write bad reviews. In fact I don't tend to find that I don't like the books I read very often. I know what I like and I tend to stick to the genres that I will enjoy. I don't see any point in wasting time reading something I know from the off that I will hate.

So with all that said I still can't really form a review for this book. I have thought long and hard about this. Wanting it to be fair and honest. But the truth is even after almost 2 months I can still only give you one word and it's why.

I know this doesn't help much when deciding to read the book or not. I would say you should. Books 1 and 2 are AWESOME! I loved them and once you have read them you kinda need to know how it all goes down so in a sense you have to read Allegiant even if afterwards you sit there and like me just think why....just WHY!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know whether to love or loathe it, 19 Aug 2014
Oh Allegiant, how you’ve frustrated me these past few days. That feeling of not knowing whether to throw you at the wall (thought I’d better not as my kindle would break) or embrace your twisted sentiment.

In advance of delving into Ali Condie’s Matched trilogy I thought I would finish the Divergent series first and was hoping it’s conclusion would be more satisfying than the conclusion of The Hunger Games which diluted it’s enjoyment book by book. I’d already become concerned when the second book in Roth’s series, Insurgent, proved less satisfying than the first. I prayed that the third would redeem itself.

We commence immediately after the conclusion of book 2 where the factionless and their leader Evelyn have taken control of the city. Suddenly the factions are in danger and it appears one dictator has been swapped for another, so a group come together and form the Allegiant, with a view to reinstating the factions.

From here I became frustrated as the book seemed to them become a never ending round of people trying to usurp one leader for another, then for another and another. We take a journey outwith the city Tris and Tobias call home and they travel to a world where it seems more of the same is on the cards.

The characters seem to stall a little in this book, their dialogue seems less mature than that of the earlier books and their relationship scenes seem childlike and immature. That said however the ending that Roth have them still had me choked with tears and I liked how she left a real message at the end of the book, concluding it really nicely with a message for life.

I’d like to say I loved this book, I didn’t, but neither could I say I entirely hated it either. It was a difficult one, I had to force my way through it at points then suddenly there would be a little spark of genius and I’d read intently for a chapter then that spark would fade. It has been a challenging read, not entirely in enjoyable but I’m glad Roth has concluded the series and won’t be trying to dredge another book from her increasingly tired story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Allegiant, 7 Aug 2014
I feel compelled to write this review as I, like so many others was not satisfied with the end of the divergent series. I read through Divergent and Insurgent, so stuck in the story I spent the day reading both and did not eat until I had finished the two. I then ordered Allegiant, though despite the mixed reviews, I would not have finished the series at Insurgent even if Allegiant had been given 1 star by everyone who had reviewed it.
I started the book in ectasy, delighted to find Tobias was also giving his side of the story as, having read the short stories Veronica wrote from Tobias' point of view, and thoroughly enjoying the brave, clever voice and wanting for more, you can imagine my excitement finding that he would be narrating half of the book.
Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there.
The book was boring and confusing, and so utterly unsatisfying that I ended up skipping most of the pages written by Tobias, and having reread it, realised that it didn't make much sense anyway.
The ending was extremely disappointed, and despite sobbing into my Kindle, I still felt that Roth could have created a much more imaginative end to a series of such success, rather than it having such an anti-climax.
Although the precious books were written well, this one could have been a lot more exciting and moving, without being so terribly tragic, as if Veronica had read her book so far, and, having realised it's unexciting script, decided that the only way to make up for the sheer awfulness of the story so far, was killing off the main character, therefore intriguing readers to finish off what they had started.
I love Roth and her work is amazing but this book was such a disappointment and I wish she had rewritten her story in a more compelling way.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the story of a girl that did not think much of herself and ended up saving so many people because of her selflessness., 21 July 2014
It was by far the weakest book of the series
The two voices switching off was confusing, and the two didn't really seem all that different. Sometimes I had to look back to see who was the narrator of that chapter.
Tris and Tobias were written identically
The character's individual voices were completely lost.
I think the first two book were better.

It was difficult to believe on the relation between GD, GP and the factions.
It does not take several generations for a genetic manipulation to take effect.
Whether you are removing or adding a gene, it manifests right in the very subject you are altering.
If you want to fix broken genes, all you need to do is stick the gene right back where it came from and that's it.
Genes don't "heal" themselves. It's corrected at one time, not after multiple generations of inbreeding.
A small population with no genetic variation will only create a founder effect: the damaged genes they carry will only become more prevalent over time. They will just as likely make the defect stronger and eventually create new and perhaps even screwier genes through mutations as they would achieve any imaginary genetic "healing." If these people are such a scourge on society, the only reason it would be prudent to round them up in one place is so it would be easier to blow them all up at once.
This experiment also makes no sense as an explanation for the society being divided into factions

When you include real science in a story, you have to do research to make sure it makes sense.

To Keep reading, I imagined that all of this happens in another world where this all could make sense and that all this “human beings” in the story are not like human beings on Earth.

The POV is a bit confusing. The new characters were not well developed. The state of the world was extremely ambiguous. But you need to remember that this is Tris story. Not the Bureau story, or the city's story, not even Tobias story. Not about real science or real human beings.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor plot, poor character development and poor ending, 11 Aug 2014
Big thumbs down - disappointing on every level: poor plot, poor character development and poor ending. Read the first two books in the series, which are enthralling, but save your money for something that will not bore the pants off you or leave you feeling miserable and cheated at the end. It's a real let down.

3.0 out of 5 stars No need for a Trilogy!, 1 Sep 2014
I Loved the first two books of this series and to begin with i though this one might ruin that. It started off well and slowly dipped to the point where i was skimming pages, getting distracted and only being half interested. despite feeling like Roth ended Insurgent at exactly the write place, the beginning of this book felt like a 'filler' and I was losing hope for the rest of the book. As someone else in the comments said, a few chapters at the end of insurgent would have wrapped the series off beautifully but instead it was packed into a rubbish third book which left a sour taste in my mouth. Weather it is was designed to make more money or weather trilogies are just the done thing in this dystopian world I do not know but it was very disappointing.

Despite my initial concerns the book grew pace and if I was rating just the final few chapters it would have got 5 Stars! I do not want to spoil the ending for anyone so I will just say the final twist was something I did not expect at all. It was a rare ending and one that has been praised and criticized. I am still not sure which camp I belong to but I will leave you to make up your own mind.

All in all it was a fantastic series as a whole, it was just a shame the begging of the last book was such a let down. But all in all the Divergent Series was a success in my eyes and Roth should be proud!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Veronica! what have you done???, 23 July 2014
Spoiler warning....I absolutely love Divergent and Insurgent, but oh my, what did Veronica do to Allegiant is really poor, it's all over the place, half the time you have no idea "who is talking" and it just seems like VR wanted to be finally finished with the series, so she didn't even stop to re-read it if it makes sense. The ending was so dissapointing and in my opinion it ruined it, it just makes it all pointless, I don't care how VR tries to justify it, I don't buy all that "it's about the sacrifise" she's trying to feed us. I think she just had this idea of being so different to other YA novels, that she desperately wanted to kill the main character and she didn't even stop to think how it would really go with the whole story line, she just wanted to kill her off no matter what. Don't take me wrong, I don't have a problem with a main characters dying if it really fits the story, but here? making it this epic love story between Trish and Four only to kill her? And no amount of "romantic/sad ash scattering" will make up for it. I have to admit, that if the third book had been written differently, I would have most likely remain a big fan of VR's books, but after Allegiant I will not even bother to watch the remaining movies nor reading more of her books. I think she has lots more to learn about being a writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Slant on Things, Warning Spoilers Ahead..., 3 Jan 2014
Let me start by saying that I was a fan of the first two novels. I thought they were clever yet touched on that theme of society that made novels like the Hunger Games popular, it felt secure and similar to read. Though, in my opinion not amazingly written; I was so eager to read Allegiant, and as you can see from the other reviews that surround this one you are reading, it was disappointing...to say the least.

I kind of knew that the conclusion would either be brilliant or awful, but in all honesty I don't know where I sit. I applaud Roth for having the courage to kill a main character but at the same time question whether it was necessary. Killing a main character is something that has to be done with sensitivity and foreshadow, Dumbledore's death is one that I compare this to due to the similarities between the audience of Harry Potter and this series; Dumbledore's death was poignant and necessary in Harry become independent, but here I feel it served no purpose but purging an author's curiosity. Being one myself, albeit an amateur I known the feeling one gets, personally at the end of a story I sit and think quite seriously about killing my own main character (obviously with thought to context not just blowing up a maiden in a medieval story for example) but I think Roth made a mistake.

After reading other reviews I find myself in agreement with those who didn't like the switches between characters each chapter. Four went from being mysterious and desirable to weak and displeasing. I wouldn't have minded half as much if Roth gave the guy some form of dignity and masculinity.

The plot seemed to throw open more questions than answers. Again I praise Roth for having the bravery to do so but shun her decisions and apparent laziness to do it properly. It seemed like parts were added just for enjoyment rather than to contribute to a plot. Parts of the novel seemed too engaged with overly describing feelings and emotions to the point of them being repeated...and repeated...and repeated over and over again. I don't know about you but I found myself skipping over Four's mental dilemma about his parents every chapter. I'm not really sure if it's personal preference or universal thought but I felt Roth tried too hard to be emotional and ended up neglecting the facts, surroundings and physical aspects of the novel. Rather than explaining the rest of the world's situation or at least the US 's we had to listen to Beatrice waffle on about her brother for the nineteenth time. I'm not a Michael Bay fan in book form, I love the complexity of emotions and the turmoil that loss can bring but when you feel like you are just reading the same thing over and over something has gone wrong.

Being different is fantastic, but I think Roth tried to hard to be different and ended up ruining what could have been a brilliant ending. When being different however rebellious we feel inside we must remember who will be left with the outcome. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she should have written with more care and more 'oomph' rather than going all out to shock. For Roth it seems her future is dim as she is surrounded by angry, depressed and disappointed fans and unfortunately for her there is no Abnegation Serum for her to start again with.